Christopher & Banks Employee Reviews

Fending for yourself
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  CorporateJanuary 24, 2013
Sounds like the store associates like their jobs better because they don't truly know what's going on at corporate. This company is small. So when I say that I mean everything lacks here. They have no structured training and no coaching/development. The company has people in management positions that don't know how to "manage". Part of a management position is taking time to spend with your direct reports and teaching them how to do their jobs well. I was turned away from my manager so much because she was "too busy" to spend a few minutes with me. I don't understand....I mean as a manager, don't you want people to get promoted from under you to make yourself look that much better? I noticed that so many people are wearing so many hats, partly due to the fact that the company is too cheap to hire more people and pay them a decent salary.
So that's my issue with management. Communication is the other issue. NONE. If you want to work for this company at the corporate level, you have to be the type of individual who doesn't need feedback or coaching. Learning by trial and error isn't specifically the most cost effective technique for a company to be profitable.
So many people are unhappy here and you can feel it the moment you get in your work environment.
Pros
working on your own
Cons
no team building environment, bad management, no communication
Christopher & Banks was a great company to work with and provided growth opportunities and challenges.
Assistant Shopkeeper (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 7, 2014
Days started with a trip to the bank, then opening registers checking the sales floor, setting employees goals and activities for the day, then opening the store. From there we helped customers until shipment arrived, then I would leave the floor to check in shipment and prepare it for the floor. New merchandise was separated and assigned to the crew for placement or steaming. Once a month all wall displays were taken down and replaced with new merchandise according to plan-o-grams .Plan-o-grams were followed to the extent that we had the merchandise called for. If not we independently used our own judgement to replace the garment with another compatable one. Every other week we did a "mini-set" to replace merchandise sold down. I learned a lot about displays, windows, and resets. My co-workers were fun and industrious. The hardest part of the job was meeting goals. What I loved most was the wall sets and I got great satisfaction from seeing the finished wall. My manager was the best I've worked with, trusting me with details, daily operations, scheduling and with the operations of the store when she had to travel or went on vacation
Pros
insurance benefits were excellent, and they provided a matched 401k
Cons
some heavy lifting
Enjoyed each day, and meeting new people. Working with all of my co-workers, meeting our daily goals, and them knowing that I was there for them.
Assistant Shopkeeper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 16, 2013
Upon arrival, count tills and determine if change is needed, then make prior nights deposit. Return to store, read emails, accessing and noting stores' daily goal,list who's working and set days personol goals for each. Move new merchandice to sells floor while greeting and assisting customers, when co-worker arrives, brief them on customer status and information on emails and any manager changes.If more mechandice is in the back or arrives, receive and ready items for sales floor (hanging and/or steamming) letting co-worker know to call me if need help to manage front of store while occasionaly checking and placing new items on the sales floor.
What I enjoyed most about this job were the customers, we became friends, laughed and talked together and then made choices. If items were for a special occasion making sure that it can be worn several times.
Pros
meeting new people and learning more about ladies fashion in real time.
Cons
could pose to be an interesting day when you have alot of new items for the floor, floor display changes and a store full of customers wanting help. i/we can do it!!!
Nice company but money focused
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Muncy, PAApril 9, 2014
This company is nice to work for. Te only down side is that they are so money focused that they blackout a whole week and weekend when teh big sales are going to be going on. Many employees have to reschedule family gatherings, or miss kids' activities because of this. Families are not too happy with that. Also, i have a medical note saying i have to have water available to me at all times. If it is busy and i am alone, i can't get to the back room for a drink, meaning i cannot get a drink when i need it because they won't let me have my twist lid bottle out on the floor under the registers where the customers wont see it. The company also sends down promotions and price changes when the stores are the least staffed. It doesn't work easy for us an they dont' give more hours to bring someone in to help with them. They do pressure us to get so many models for fashion shows and make calls for big events that people are constantly asking to have their phone numbers removed from our database.
Pros
it's nice being able to interact with the customers the way we do.
Cons
not allowed to have water or a drink out front even if it's busy, even though i have a medical note saying i need to have water available to me at all times.
Wonderful manager and and hard-working team. Great clientele.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NYMarch 4, 2015
A typical day would include me dropping of the previous day's deposit, logging the daily/weekly sales reports, and checking for any emails from our District or Regional Manager requiring to take action on something specific. The Store Manager and I unloaded and processed shipping, while the teammates steamed every item before it was placed on the floor. Once a month we did visual updates which the Store Manager and I did together, following specific directives from the company. Daily, we waited on customers, getting them the proper sizes they needed when ones didn't fit, and would put together outfits for them (personal wardrobe assistants). We had many shoppers who frequented the store often, and would create journals of their likes, dislikes, and a wishlist. Then, when an item came in that we thought one of our customers would like, we could call them and tell them about it. They were always excited. I acted in place of the Store Manager in her absence and did so with ease. My team was great, always energetic and almost always happy, and we all loved working together..
Pros
wonderful manager, great team, and ability to use my team-building skills
A company that does not value its employees.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJuly 3, 2012
As an assistant manager, I would perform opening or closing duties, make deposits, change signage as directed, and assist with any technical issues that arose. Greeting and assisting the customers with their needs was, of course, paramont. In this position I learned that I was capable of more than I thought. The manager chose to be out of town during times that we were preparing for a large sale. Literally hundreds of phone calls had to be made the week before with only one phone line to accomplish this. I not only kept the staff motivated during this time, but we had the largest profit margin in the history of one event. The hardest part of the job was keeping the district manager happy when the store manager was not following the requests from the d.m. and the company. It ultimately led to my decision to leave the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships that I built during the 3 yrs. that I was there. Luckily, many of them began shopping at Eddie Bauer or just coming in to say hello.
Pros
learned that i could accomplish more than i thought i could.
Cons
store manager was not focused on the job or wanted to follow the company guidelines.

Comment – August 14, 2012

As a store manager that closed a store - I see more stores closing in the future - they do not value there employees nor do they encourage their dedicated employess.... the Friends that shop there love to see familiar faces,, and love to see them wearing the current styles.... but no incentives to the employess to wear them!! ... The company is too focused on marketing and charge cards to really focuse whats at hand - employess and moral!!!

Horribly managed on both store and district level.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIApril 12, 2015
District manager fired our original store manager to hire her friend. Store was not managed well. Worked alone better than 90% of the time, couldn't take breaks or lunch because no one was there to relieve you. Store manager spent her time on the phone with friends and other store managers in the district she delegated all physical work to others. She took our contest winnings from the store safe home so "no one could steal it". Paper work for new hires was routinely slow in processing because it was either lost or just not done. Job reviews were haphazardly done, if you didn't meet any criteria there was no plan for improvement, no additional training or assistance from management to help you improve. Luckily the staff got along and worked with each other to keep the store clean and running as smoothly as possible and the majority of our customers were regulars and fun to work with. NOTHING MATTERED TO THE DISTRICT MANAGER EXCEPT SELLING CREDIT CARDS!!
Pros
Good hourly staff, friendly customers
Cons
Horrible management.
Peaceful environment and very professional.
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 27, 2014
A typical day working was slow in the morning when the mall would open up by afternoon we would be at normal passe or so over active.
I learned how to really busy even when there was any customers to help in the store.
My manager was every friendly she helped me understand how the color wheel works in the store when we are doing new displays in the store and how important it is to make sure all the clothes look professional to the customers who walk in.
The hardest part of the job was when it was getting close to Christmas shopping for the customers. We would stock up the store with all the items we had and by noon half of our stock was gone when some customers were looking for an items, but lucky we would help them find it online and give them the chose of having it shipped to their house or there to the store.
The most enjoyable part for me was when i got to run around helping out everyone in the store as well as i could until I need some help.
Pros
discounts on clothes in the store
Cons
no medical or dental insurece
No one is happy
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  NHJuly 22, 2014
People are not valued.
Corporate culture is one of desperation.
Poor pay so most managers are not that qualified or experienced.
Constant reminder that business is down, so were expected to do more work with less help, fewer hours.
Wanted us to find and bring in customers on our own time.
Directives change all the time, and at last minute, so can not plan to have more help when needed.
Little planning ahead or communication to that effect.
The only one who is full time, now, is the Manager.
They will not hire anyone with enough hours to receive benefits.
Company orders us to call all our customers from the store almost every month. The customers don't like this.
Micro management is the norm.
So many contests that are not fair, and geared to larger stores
Poor choices from the company translate to fewer sales, but the blame is always put on the Store Associates which Leaves everyone feeling as though they can never do enough right.
Pros
discount on clothes
Cons
poor corporate management right down the line
Great people to work with! Fun place to work as well!
Part-time Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTJune 2, 2014
One of the best things about working at Christopher and Banks are the customers. The women who shop there love the clothes, so they make selling easy. It is a great feeling be able to help a woman find an outfit they love, or something they need.
Most days I work the cash register --- I'm one of the fastest cashiers. I usually work nights, so I'm responsible for counting the registers and making sure the store is ready to open the next morning. The people I work with are great! We have fun together. I have learned a lot about clothes from them.
The hardest part is convincing customers to apply for a store credit card. I personally don't like having many credit cards or being in debt, and most of our customers feel the same way. Nevertheless, I ask every customer who doesn't already have one to apply for it by selling the cards benefits. If they love the store, they'll get one.
Pros
great employee discount
Cons
no opportunity for medical benefits for part-time employees

Want to know more about Christopher & Banks?

Ask a question
Wonderful work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield Town CenterMay 1, 2015
This was the most enjoyable job I've ever had. I loved the awesome team I worked with at my store and also had tremendous help and support from our sister stores in other areas. The upper management (District & Regional) were exceptional as well.
In a typical day at work we would be receiving and displaying the clothes, working one-on-one with the customers, and competing (friendly) with the other stores to hit daily goals. We had the best customers ever, the entire team just loved our customers.
The hardest part of the job was when a large shipment would come in and we had to hand & steam each piece before putting them on the sales floor. Every two months we would do a complete floor reset which means everything moved to a different location and it was done within a few days.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with such a great team and getting to help our terrific customers.
Pros
Awesome discount
Cons
Single coverage made taking breaks difficult
A shop that is age appropriate for women
Part-time Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCAugust 6, 2015
My review is mixed because, I love the ladies I work with. My manager and her assistants are dear friends and colleagues. The line of clothing we sell are as the title implies, "age appropriate for adult females." We don't sell the "teenage" or "street" ware. Our style is classic and casual. I also love our clientele. Many are older ladies (retirees) from many professions that have great taste but need help in coordinating their outfits. My expertise is in customer service, matching and coordinating outfits for our clients and maintaining contacts with our clientele even when they are not in the store. I've enjoyed working for Christopher and Banks, I just wish they could give more hours to the part-time reps, and that our hourly wages were not so low.
Pros
Minimal schedule and easy to work around the job to do other things.
Cons
Wages low, and minimal hours; pay sometimes not worth the trip, 42 miles round-trip from where I live.
Great working environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, New YorkJuly 26, 2013
This was a great place for me to become a manager. I have been able to learn how to be a better team leader and creat different goals and activities to drive sales focus and other key performance indicators. More responsibility has been given to me in regards to the visual performance of the store which has really made me work that much harder to succeed and ensure that I follow all company policies and procedures set in place per the VMU. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers that come into your store. Majority of them rely on you to help them pick out the perfect outfit and what woman doesn't love to shop? It's a win-win, you get to work and shop at the same time! Its so rewarding to see the joy and happiness on a customers face when she has found the perfect class reunion outfit or picked out an entirely new wardrobe with your assistance.
Big retail company with small company feel
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJanuary 30, 2014
I worked at Christopher & Banks while completing my final semesters of college. My job entailed assisting the customers, cleaning, restocking, making sales phone calls and running the cash register. The most enjoyable part of my job was by far the people I worked with. I was a college student a couple hundred miles from my family and the ladies I worked with came to feel like my adoptive family. The hardest part of my job was just managing my time at work with my school schedule. The final semesters of my college career were by far my most difficult; learning how to juggle my work schedule and how to focus on work while I was there was my biggest challenge. I will always be appreciative of Christopher & Banks and my managers for always working with me to make my schedule fit with my school work.
Pros
great management
Cons
few hours
Great place to work. Wonderful selection of good quality clothing at a reasonable price.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNSeptember 8, 2012
Assisted customers with selections of various types of ladies clothing, helping them coordinate colors and styles, find right sizes.
Handling cash register sales and returns. I was an assistant manager so I did opening and closing procedures each time I worked. Supervised approximately 9 part-time employees. Handled incoming freight, plus placement and display of new clothing items. My general manager and co-assistant manager were wonderful to work with as were all of our part-time employees.
Pros
loved the clothes we sold and the environment. lots of fun customers to work with.
Cons
working three out of four weekends per month, having to climb 8 and 12 foot ladders in stock area, having to replace light bulbs in very high ceiling fixtures.
Exceeding their expectations!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKNovember 24, 2012
A typical day at work: Most days at work where about making the customer happy and catering to their needs.

What I learned: I learned to take care of the customer and CARE for them by exceeding their expectations.

Management: I had a manager who had been there for eleven years and was great at what she did. She had everything down to a science and always looked at the betterment for her employees.

Co-Workers: My Co-Workers where very easy to work with and we all usually got along great.

The hardest part of the job: The hardest part of the job was standing on your feet for eight hours plus per day.

The most enjoyable part of the job: Was when you know your customer was happy and they left with a smile.
Pros
corporate company, a defined lunch hour, and great people to work for.
Learned to work with everyone developed life long relationships with some.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNJanuary 14, 2013
Wait on customers in timely manner, help them find what they were looking for faster than they could find it
I learned that the customer is not always right, & they take the way they feel sometime out on whoever is in front of them.
The management team was great, got along beautifully, the store ran really well.
The hardest part of the job was learning not to do everything yourself, but to let your co-workers help, then making sure it got took care of.
The best part of the job was getting to know everyone, and learning to have fun, like a family.
Pros
we got 50 o/o off all our clothes at&t christopher & banks as well
Cons
had to work such crazy hours, especially the holidays
Great Customers and Culture
Temporary Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WADecember 10, 2015
Christopher and Banks is a small store so the work flow is usually pretty steady. I learned how to work with a different customer base than my other jobs and I really enjoyed the customer base. I loved having "regulars" that knew my name and wanted to know how I was doing. Management was AMAZING! I loved everyone I worked with, all were eager to help with anything. The hardest part of my job was freight only because we got so much on a daily basis and I had to come up with some pretty creative places to put things. As mentioned earlier, the customers were the most enjoyable part of my job. I've never had so many nice customers that genuinely viewed me as a person not just a sales girl.
Retail clothing store.
Asst. Shopkeeper (Current Employee) –  Northglenn, COJuly 14, 2013
I love working at Christopher and Banks, I have learned a lot about retail sales in the years I have worked for them. I have an amazing Manager, she is very understanding and fair. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new and interesting people every day. My co-workers are great, they don't treat me like I'm above them in my position, but I have their respect and they work very hard for me. The hardest part of the job is trying to figure out where to put the clothes once they come in. A typical day is opening the store going to the bank and helping customers, receiving freight and getting it out on the floor in a timely manner.
Pros
discount on clothes
Cons
haveing to work weekends and nights.
Productive employees and Friendly atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vienna, WVSeptember 19, 2013
My typical day at Gabes was very fun, and layed back. We were required to finish work in a timely manner and no mistakes. We worked overnights sometimes to get new promotions and sales onto the floor for the next morning. We were fast paced our entire shift while still enjoying our work. The hardest part of the job was the huge store and having to run back and forth from the front to the warehouse. A lot of walking for long hours was a must, The most enjoyable part of the job was the new merchandise coming, most of the employees, and how the days flew by.
Pros
i loved to be able to organize and the store use my ideas and recommendations.
Cons
alot of walking