For over a century, Christopher House has guided thousands of families seeking a change of direction, a new destination. Named for the patron saint of the traveler, Christopher House celebrates its one hundred year history of leading the way for everyone seeking a strong companion on the journey towards self-sufficiency and success.
1906 To meet the needs of the growing immigrant population, The First Presbyterian Church of Evanston opens CH as a settlement house on January 1. CH serves 1,200 people in its first year.
1918 Because of the growing need, CH builds a new facility at 2507 North Greenview in order to expand programming.
1927 Programs now include childcare, recreation, counseling, and emergency services as well as religious studies.
1942 As part of the war effort, CH provides childcare for the children of women working in steel factories.
1966 CH leads the nation in receiving federal funds for Head Start, opens two half-day classrooms, and employs 17 people.
1967 The Common Pantry opens as a response to the problem of hunger in the Lincoln Park area.
1972 CH responds to growing needs for childcare by opening two new sites in subsidized high rise buildings in Uptown.
1974 The After School program begins for school age children age seven to fourteen. Activities include sports, crafts, art, sewing, tutoring, theatre and special field trips.
1977 CH grows to a total of 67 full time staff, seven part-time staff, and three sites.
1980 The Social Work department expands its services and hires a Social Work Services Director.
1981 CH's Board and Staff hold its first fund-raising auction and the Family-to-Family holiday food and gifts program.
1987 In collaboration with The Ounce of Prevention Fund, CH responds to the needs of pregnant and parenting teens through new programming. In its first year, the program serves 50 young mothers and their infants.
1988 CH participates in The First Step program to help address needs of the homeless community in the Lincoln Park and Lakeview communities by opening doors on Sundays and serving as a drop-in shelter.
1992 The Illinois Facilities Fund (IFF), a not-for-profit lending organization teamed with the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), and award CH a contract to build a new 23,000 sq. ft. childcare facility in Uptown.
1999 CH begins working with children as young as 6 weeks through the Early Head Start program.
2002 CH adopts the Search Institutes' 40 Developmental Assets as its core framework in working with children and youth. In the same year, at the request of the City of Chicago CH takes over operation of another early childhood center in Rogers Park.
2006 CH celebrates its centenntial and launches the Campaign for Thriving Families, a $15 million capital campaign to expand programs in Logan Square and relocate our headquarters to Belmont Cragin.
2007 Christopher House expands services in the Logan Square community by opening a new family resource center serving 116 families. Mayor Daley, Senator Durbin, Congressman Gutierrez and special guests gathered to celebrate the Grand Opening and Ribbon-Cutting. – less–ZoomInfo