Christopher Newport University

Christopher Newport University Employer Reviews

Productive and empowering work environment
University Fellow-President's Leadership Program (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Christopher Newport University has a workplace of servant leaders. All supervisors do a phenomenal job at inspiring the shared vision of service, leadership, and a student-first mentality. All faculty and staff really care about the development of their colleagues.
housing
house keeper (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJanuary 10, 2015
It's a great job. I really enjoy the work. The management was very poor in the housing department.
Wonder place to work and grow as a professional
Student Ambassador Supervisor (Current Employee), Newport News, VANovember 23, 2014
Pros: team dinners and incentives
Cons: short breaks and mean clients
A typical night at work, starts with setting up the call center and gathering supplies for staff. I learned how to manage and train staffers to be university ambassadors. The management at this job is fairly flexible and supportive. My co-workers are equally as talented as I am and also very prompt. The hardest part of our job is maintaining a positive relationship with disgruntled alumni. The most enjoyable part of this job is making the callers feel like they make a difference in the Christopher Newport University community.
awesome
Building Supervisor (Former Employee), Newport News, VANovember 23, 2014
I worked about three jobs at Christopher Newport University and it was great. While being a student-athlete and engaged in the campus community I was afforded great flexible work schedules.
Wonderful experience
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Christopher Newport UNiversitySeptember 13, 2014
Interacted with residents through electronic and face-to-face medians. Ensured resident safety and ability to access campus information.
Fun and exciting
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Newport News, VAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: free tickets to shows
Cons: some rudness from visitors
I enjoyed working with co- workers. Very friendly students
University
Event Staff Supervisor, Summer Intern (Former Employee), Newport News, VAAugust 20, 2014
Working at a university is always a great way to to jump start your career experience
Unorganized workplace and management
Security Officer (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJuly 15, 2014
In addition to only having part time hours for security, the managers have little to no contact with you. This leads to many officers being improperly trained which results in slip-ups happening.
fast paced friendly environment\
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJuly 14, 2014
temp job that required a lot of attention to detail. typing is a must.
Good place for students
Student Ambassador (Former Employee), Office of AdmissionJuly 4, 2014
Great job for current students allowing for a balance of course work and hours of work. Very understanding that being a student comes first to working.
adjunct teaching
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJune 30, 2014
Salary is $3000 per course per semester with a PhD.

Many students come from the Hampton Roads area; a few from other cities in VA. As in any college classroom, there are a couple of students who are not ready for college work.
Best place
Admissions Tour Guide/Out-of-State Ambassador (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJune 16, 2014
Couldn't ask for a better university and as well as administration
Procurement Coordinator (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJune 11, 2014
I work 8:00am - 5:00pm Monday thru Friday. I've learned a lot about procurement and purchasing items using proper procurement standards.

The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting co-workers to get the items the need at a good price.
Great Environment and Nice Interaction with Residents
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee), Newport News, VAApril 23, 2014
A typical day involves checking the sticker residents' ID cards when they hold it up to the person at the front desk. This helps to ensure that only students have access to the building and to keep the campus a safe environment for staff. I also respond to the inquiries of residents. This could be anything from answering questions about housing, to issuing lock-out codes when students are locked out of their dorm rooms to giving advice about which classes to take.
healthy activity with leadership opportunities
Member of the CNU Club Crew Team (Former Employee), Newport News, VAApril 18, 2014
Pros: team work and leadership opportunities
I enjoyed being on the crew team. It allowed me to participate in my favorite sport while representing my college in a positive manner. I also made new friends and was able to lead the men's team to a 2nd place victory.
University
President of Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity (Former Employee), Newport News, VAMarch 6, 2014
Earned Bachelor's Degree. Simultaneously maintained classes, ROTC, fraternity responsibilities, and work.
Classes
Senior Professor (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAFebruary 7, 2014
I taught classes and was paid per class taught. It was a fine working environment.
leadership organization
Men's Leadership Program, Member (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJanuary 23, 2014
• Educate men on how to become Leaders in their community
• Promote community service projects, retreats, various meeting, and guest speakers
CNU
Prep Cook / Line Server (Former Employee), Newport News, VADecember 31, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
working at CNU was okay , i would have preferred if they would have changed a couple things while i worked there but other than that the job was easy and nothing was hard to do . the most enjoyable part was being able to cook different types of foods.
A very productive workplace, and enjoyable working with students.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Newport News, VANovember 10, 2013
Pros: free meals, enjoyed working with the students!
Cons: different periods of my employment, i worked evening hours (opposite my husband, thus no together time.) they thought nothing of making us work 67 -83 hrs per week, and they always lost good employees because of the way they were treated.
Opened and closed retail facilities. Funded cash registers. Made deposits, Customer service, inbound/outbound calls, reports, inventory, organized and planned events, set up and take down of events, after hours, ran all sports concessions on campus. I was acting manager for approx. 2 yrs in the absence of my manager, in the Freeman Center.