Christopher Newport University Employee Reviews

Prestigious business school that utilizes intriguing and active learning strategies
Sheepshead Campus Representative (Current Employee), Newport News, VAMay 9, 2015
CNU's business program provided me, and continues to provide me throughout the remained of my educational experience, with a distinct foundation and conceptual framework that will ultimately aid me in my future career in business management and marketing.
Hall Director position, very rewarding work.
Hall Director (Current Employee), Newport News, VAApril 29, 2015
Hall Director position, very rewarding work. Supervised a Residence Hall on campus and the students living within it.
Found my work to flourish and my performance improved with experience.
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy/Religious Studies (Former Employee), Newport News, VAApril 2, 2015
Pros: The IT education working with 'Scholar' for posting class work and syllibi.
Cons: The desire to act as an instructor was limited to need (called upon as a temp service employee)
The work was educational and personally rewarding as adjunct professor. The staff was excellent and offered provided insightful guidance and minimized difficulties as I filed necessary reports. Troubled and disgruntled students were most challenging; interaction with the students in the class room was exciting.
It was a college job
Building Supervisor (David Student Union (Former Employee), Newport News, VAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Great management.
Cons: Low pay
It was a fun place to work for a part time college job. The hours were very reasonable and flexible. A typical work day is you monitoring activity throughout the building that you are in.
A good place for students to work and offers flexible hours.
Athletic Event Staff Supervisor (Former Employee), Newport News VirginiaMarch 6, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: low pay
I enjoyed working at the University. Due to the fact that the employees were students we had some limitations. There was a limit of 20 hours a week we could work which I didn't like. Also, there were no benefits and we received minimum wage.
Very productive
Housekeeper Worker (Former Employee), Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: took me out to eat for being appreciative of my work
Cons: short on raises and bonuses
Productive and friendly workplace. The co-workers were helpful. I learned how to buff the floor. I learn Cpr. The hardest part of the Job to me was cleaning out the Bleachers after a Basketball Game.
Productive and empowering work environment
University Fellow-President's Leadership Program (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Christopher Newport University has a workplace of servant leaders. All supervisors do a phenomenal job at inspiring the shared vision of service, leadership, and a student-first mentality. All faculty and staff really care about the development of their colleagues.
housing
house keeper (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJanuary 10, 2015
It's a great job. I really enjoy the work. The management was very poor in the housing department.
Wonder place to work and grow as a professional
Student Ambassador Supervisor (Current Employee), Newport News, VANovember 23, 2014
Pros: team dinners and incentives
Cons: short breaks and mean clients
A typical night at work, starts with setting up the call center and gathering supplies for staff. I learned how to manage and train staffers to be university ambassadors. The management at this job is fairly flexible and supportive. My co-workers are equally as talented as I am and also very prompt. The hardest part of our job is maintaining a positive relationship with disgruntled alumni. The most enjoyable part of this job is making the callers feel like they make a difference in the Christopher Newport University community.
awesome
Building Supervisor (Former Employee), Newport News, VANovember 23, 2014
I worked about three jobs at Christopher Newport University and it was great. While being a student-athlete and engaged in the campus community I was afforded great flexible work schedules.
Wonderful experience
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Christopher Newport UNiversitySeptember 13, 2014
Interacted with residents through electronic and face-to-face medians. Ensured resident safety and ability to access campus information.
Fun and exciting
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Newport News, VAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: free tickets to shows
Cons: some rudness from visitors
I enjoyed working with co- workers. Very friendly students
University
Event Staff Supervisor, Summer Intern (Former Employee), Newport News, VAAugust 20, 2014
Working at a university is always a great way to to jump start your career experience
Unorganized workplace and management
Security Officer (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJuly 15, 2014
In addition to only having part time hours for security, the managers have little to no contact with you. This leads to many officers being improperly trained which results in slip-ups happening.
fast paced friendly environment\
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJuly 14, 2014
temp job that required a lot of attention to detail. typing is a must.
Good place for students
Student Ambassador (Former Employee), Office of AdmissionJuly 4, 2014
Great job for current students allowing for a balance of course work and hours of work. Very understanding that being a student comes first to working.
adjunct teaching
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJune 30, 2014
Salary is $3000 per course per semester with a PhD.

Many students come from the Hampton Roads area; a few from other cities in VA. As in any college classroom, there are a couple of students who are not ready for college work.
Best place
Admissions Tour Guide/Out-of-State Ambassador (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJune 16, 2014
Couldn't ask for a better university and as well as administration
Procurement Coordinator (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJune 11, 2014
I work 8:00am - 5:00pm Monday thru Friday. I've learned a lot about procurement and purchasing items using proper procurement standards.

The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting co-workers to get the items the need at a good price.
Great Environment and Nice Interaction with Residents
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee), Newport News, VAApril 23, 2014
A typical day involves checking the sticker residents' ID cards when they hold it up to the person at the front desk. This helps to ensure that only students have access to the building and to keep the campus a safe environment for staff. I also respond to the inquiries of residents. This could be anything from answering questions about housing, to issuing lock-out codes when students are locked out of their dorm rooms to giving advice about which classes to take.