Christopher Newport University Employee Reviews

Great workplace focused on academics
Fitness Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 2, 2017
Co-workers and management are excellent! Truly feels like a team environment. The hardest part of the job is dealing with patrons who are not always polite. However, patrons that become familiar over time make the job worthwhile!
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes long hours
It was a nice place to work
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 17, 2016
The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. I enjoyed working with them for the past several years. I learned a lot and gained many useful skills that I can apply today
Pros
Learned many useful skills
Nice job to have on campus wile I was taking classes.
Event Staff Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 14, 2016
Typical days, I would go to class in the morning and then go to my supervising shift which would last about 2 hours each shift. There I would set up or break down events that needed it during my shift. My co-workers were nice and great to be around. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was in a quiet area so i would be able to do my homework and study while on shift.
Pros
I as able to pick the times to work that benefited me the most.
Cons
I was only able to work 20 hours a week because I was a student, so I was not able to make as much money as I wanted to.
Interesting place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 8, 2016
Enjoyed the college students and meeting new individuals, never met the CEO or any larger folks in company. On a day to day basis we worked extremely hard to make sure all the needs were met for both workers and students..Overall the job was pleasant and drama free.
Pros
Great food, positive and fun employees
Cons
No health care benefits
Good Undergraduate Work
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 6, 2016
They have opportunities for on-campus work, the job is straight forward with good supervisors. Event Staff allows for great flexibility in between classes and other responsibilities.
Pros
Easy, Good Supervisors, Flexibles
Cons
Minimum Wage, Limited Work Opportunities
Productive and Fun
Women's Basketball Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 24, 2016
The athletic system there is great! Everyone gets along well and the athletes are awesome to work with! I loved the other manager I worked with!
As a University this was an interesting place with lots of variety.
Internal Audit Director/Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2016
Days were not typical as my job involved the financial, compliance, and operational audits of all university departments - a widely varied lot. I met very interesting people who were dedicated to their fields whether financial, admissions, academic, student services, etc. I prepared reports for the Board of Visitors. The President acted as my day-to-day supervisor for signing leave slips, etc. but mostly my position had a great deal of autonomy. Mine was an office of one except for a few years of having a part-time assistant or a student worker. Sometimes it was difficult for people to understand at first that as Internal Auditor I was there to help, so this could be a challenge but was usually overcome fairly quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting people when they had questions or problems and helping them improve operations within their department.
Pros
Autonomy, good benefits (state job)
Cons
Sometimes records were hard to find in departments not used to keeping records
Great environment to work as a student
Event Staff and Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 25, 2016
I enjoyed working on campus throughout my tenure as a student. I learned many skills that I have carried even now as a young professional
College Job
Communications Support (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 12, 2016
This was a wonderful opportunity to work in a professional setting with a flexible schedule to my college classes. I got to develop my administrative and clerical skills as well as utilize my communication skills.
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
It was an internship and below minimum wage
Interacting with students, change comes slowly, personal considerations taken lightly
Supervisor/Fron of House manager (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 10, 2016
I interact with approximately 3000 students per day in the dining hall. The bonds and relationships I have formed has been wonderful.
Management is slow to change and realize issues amongst employees and policies that are outdated. Not enough supervision of departments to resolve conflict. Staff is consistantly short handed and the remaining are overworked and morale is low. No positive reinforcement.
This job is very physical and hours are long. What I love most about my job is customer service. I truly enjoy meeting the needs of the students through my daily tasks and sometimes helping them emotionally get through their day through words of encouragement or just by giving a hug.
Pros
Free lunches, extended time off during holidays
Cons
Not enough staffing, no positive reinforcement from upper management, long hours
Another College Job
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 5, 2015
A great place to work with a lot of employees. It was a great work environment with hardwork and manual labor. Helped pay the bills great.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No Benefits or Advancement
Freshman Year
Student (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 2, 2015
Attended Christopher Newport University for freshman year. While there, joined lots of clubs and organizations that benefited social experiences.
Great People
CIO & ISO (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VaJune 2, 2015
Adequate place for IT. Limited ability to expand resources and environment. Very distributed environment technologically
Pros
Nice Place
Cons
Limited Growth Potential
Prestigious business school that utilizes intriguing and active learning strategies
Sheepshead Campus Representative (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 9, 2015
CNU's business program provided me, and continues to provide me throughout the remained of my educational experience, with a distinct foundation and conceptual framework that will ultimately aid me in my future career in business management and marketing.
Hall Director position, very rewarding work.
Hall Director (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 29, 2015
Hall Director position, very rewarding work. Supervised a Residence Hall on campus and the students living within it.
Found my work to flourish and my performance improved with experience.
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy/Religious Studies (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 2, 2015
The work was educational and personally rewarding as adjunct professor. The staff was excellent and offered provided insightful guidance and minimized difficulties as I filed necessary reports. Troubled and disgruntled students were most challenging; interaction with the students in the class room was exciting.
Pros
The IT education working with 'Scholar' for posting class work and syllibi.
Cons
The desire to act as an instructor was limited to need (called upon as a temp service employee)
It was a college job
Building Supervisor (David Student Union (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 30, 2015
It was a fun place to work for a part time college job. The hours were very reasonable and flexible. A typical work day is you monitoring activity throughout the building that you are in.
Pros
Great management.
Cons
Low pay
A good place for students to work and offers flexible hours.
Athletic Event Staff Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News VirginiaMarch 6, 2015
I enjoyed working at the University. Due to the fact that the employees were students we had some limitations. There was a limit of 20 hours a week we could work which I didn't like. Also, there were no benefits and we received minimum wage.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Very productive
Housekeeper Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2015
Productive and friendly workplace. The co-workers were helpful. I learned how to buff the floor. I learn Cpr. The hardest part of the Job to me was cleaning out the Bleachers after a Basketball Game.
Pros
Took me out to eat for being appreciative of my work
Cons
short on raises and bonuses
Productive and empowering work environment
University Fellow-President's Leadership Program (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Christopher Newport University has a workplace of servant leaders. All supervisors do a phenomenal job at inspiring the shared vision of service, leadership, and a student-first mentality. All faculty and staff really care about the development of their colleagues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Christopher Newport University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4