Christopher Newport University Employee Reviews in United States

As a University this was an interesting place with lots of variety.
Internal Audit Director/Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2016
Days were not typical as my job involved the financial, compliance, and operational audits of all university departments - a widely varied lot. I met very interesting people who were dedicated to their fields whether financial, admissions, academic, student services, etc. I prepared reports for the Board of Visitors. The President acted as my day-to-day supervisor for signing leave slips, etc. but mostly my position had a great deal of autonomy. Mine was an office of one except for a few years of having a part-time assistant or a student worker. Sometimes it was difficult for people to understand at first that as Internal Auditor I was there to help, so this could be a challenge but was usually overcome fairly quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting people when they had questions or problems and helping them improve operations within their department.
Pros
Autonomy, good benefits (state job)
Cons
Sometimes records were hard to find in departments not used to keeping records
Interacting with students, change comes slowly, personal considerations taken lightly
Supervisor/Fron of House manager (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 10, 2016
I interact with approximately 3000 students per day in the dining hall. The bonds and relationships I have formed has been wonderful.
Management is slow to change and realize issues amongst employees and policies that are outdated. Not enough supervision of departments to resolve conflict. Staff is consistantly short handed and the remaining are overworked and morale is low. No positive reinforcement.
This job is very physical and hours are long. What I love most about my job is customer service. I truly enjoy meeting the needs of the students through my daily tasks and sometimes helping them emotionally get through their day through words of encouragement or just by giving a hug.
Pros
Free lunches, extended time off during holidays
Cons
Not enough staffing, no positive reinforcement from upper management, long hours
Another College Job
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 5, 2015
A great place to work with a lot of employees. It was a great work environment with hardwork and manual labor. Helped pay the bills great.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No Benefits or Advancement
Interesting place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 8, 2016
Enjoyed the college students and meeting new individuals, never met the CEO or any larger folks in company. On a day to day basis we worked extremely hard to make sure all the needs were met for both workers and students..Overall the job was pleasant and drama free.
Pros
Great food, positive and fun employees
Cons
No health care benefits
Good Undergraduate Work
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 6, 2016
They have opportunities for on-campus work, the job is straight forward with good supervisors. Event Staff allows for great flexibility in between classes and other responsibilities.
Pros
Easy, Good Supervisors, Flexibles
Cons
Minimum Wage, Limited Work Opportunities
Productive and Fun
Women's Basketball Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 24, 2016
The athletic system there is great! Everyone gets along well and the athletes are awesome to work with! I loved the other manager I worked with!
College Job
Communications Support (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 12, 2016
This was a wonderful opportunity to work in a professional setting with a flexible schedule to my college classes. I got to develop my administrative and clerical skills as well as utilize my communication skills.
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
It was an internship and below minimum wage
Very productive
Housekeeper Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2015
Productive and friendly workplace. The co-workers were helpful. I learned how to buff the floor. I learn Cpr. The hardest part of the Job to me was cleaning out the Bleachers after a Basketball Game.
Pros
took me out to eat for being appreciative of my work
Cons
short on raises and bonuses
A good place for students to work and offers flexible hours.
Athletic Event Staff Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News VirginiaMarch 6, 2015
I enjoyed working at the University. Due to the fact that the employees were students we had some limitations. There was a limit of 20 hours a week we could work which I didn't like. Also, there were no benefits and we received minimum wage.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Great environment to work as a student
Event Staff and Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 25, 2016
I enjoyed working on campus throughout my tenure as a student. I learned many skills that I have carried even now as a young professional
to be avoided
Visiting Professor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 2, 2012
Exploitive use of temporary faculty on whom they depend for most of their teaching staff; apathetic, under-achieving student population that lacks intellectual rigor and academic seriousness and sometimes basic civility (of course, there are exceptions--but very few); grossly overpaid administrators, underpaid teaching staff; poor library resources (best collection, appropriately: children's books); inadequate & overpriced parking; no office space for visiting faculty; incoherent curriculum.

Don't let the swanky IM Pei-designed arts center fool you: CNU is a decidedly third-rate university with dangerous pretentious to academic quality and seriousness that bamboozle students and staff alike. Administrators think highly of the school (CNU hires many of their own to boost graduate employment numbers) and give undergraduate students a false impression of the value of a CNU degree. Teaching staff and students are squeezed to pay for lush new facilities. A degree mill with delusions of grandeur and an example of what's worst in American higher education today. To be avoided.
Pros
well-kept lawns, classroom technology
Cons
healthcare, compensation, curriculum, student quality, parking, administration
very fast past work enviroment, alot of friendly college students
ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 28, 2013
i really enjoyed my job. There was always something to do and keep you busy. My supervisiors taught me how to clean in detail and was very helpful and patient with me. the hardest part of my job was not finishing the job too quick before my shift was over.
Pros
free acess to a computer and the internet
Cons
no healthcare or good benefits
Prestigious business school that utilizes intriguing and active learning strategies
Sheepshead Campus Representative (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 9, 2015
CNU's business program provided me, and continues to provide me throughout the remained of my educational experience, with a distinct foundation and conceptual framework that will ultimately aid me in my future career in business management and marketing.
adjunct teaching
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 30, 2014
Salary is $3000 per course per semester with a PhD.

Many students come from the Hampton Roads area; a few from other cities in VA. As in any college classroom, there are a couple of students who are not ready for college work.
Freshman Year
Student (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 2, 2015
Attended Christopher Newport University for freshman year. While there, joined lots of clubs and organizations that benefited social experiences.
Fun workplace
Principal tubist (Former Employee) –  1001 University PlaceAugust 20, 2012
Practice a wide variety of difficult compositions for future concerts.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no benefits
Found my work to flourish and my performance improved with experience.
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy/Religious Studies (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 2, 2015
The work was educational and personally rewarding as adjunct professor. The staff was excellent and offered provided insightful guidance and minimized difficulties as I filed necessary reports. Troubled and disgruntled students were most challenging; interaction with the students in the class room was exciting.
Pros
The IT education working with 'Scholar' for posting class work and syllibi.
Cons
The desire to act as an instructor was limited to need (called upon as a temp service employee)
Wonder place to work and grow as a professional
Student Ambassador Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 23, 2014
A typical night at work, starts with setting up the call center and gathering supplies for staff. I learned how to manage and train staffers to be university ambassadors. The management at this job is fairly flexible and supportive. My co-workers are equally as talented as I am and also very prompt. The hardest part of our job is maintaining a positive relationship with disgruntled alumni. The most enjoyable part of this job is making the callers feel like they make a difference in the Christopher Newport University community.
Pros
team dinners and incentives
Cons
short breaks and mean clients
Stable work enviornment on a nice college campus
Trades Technician II (Current Employee) –  newport news, vaJanuary 11, 2013
My time here at CNU has been interesting, as a former student at the univesity it is nice being able to continue to spend time on the campus and watch as it changes and grows. A typical day at work is coming in the morning and being given a stack of work orders, and devising the best and most efficient manner with which to complete them. For the most part my co-workers are good people, though they are all about 20 years older than I we find good common ground and make a good team. The management is somewhat lacking as the acting supervisor and the lead worker are often at odds, thus leaving those on the bottom at a loss at times. The best part of the job is the satisfaction from doing good work. The hardest is probably the management issues that were mentioned above
Pros
watching my former university expand and change
Cons
management
It was a college job
Building Supervisor (David Student Union (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 30, 2015
It was a fun place to work for a part time college job. The hours were very reasonable and flexible. A typical work day is you monitoring activity throughout the building that you are in.
Pros
Great management.
Cons
Low pay

4.4