Christopher Newport University Employee Reviews

Beautiful Facilities Terrible Management behind the scenes
Assistant Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 22, 2017
Racial undertones,institutional rules allow this to fester. Management turns blind eye. President: excessive pay. Maintenance: below state average for their position. Be prepared to be back stabbed if your management fears you are better than them or have new Ideas that would make things better. These people love the "status quo" because it lines their pockets.
Pros
Beautiful Campus and a huge money maker
Cons
Racial Undertones, Maintenance vastly underpaid for what they are asked to do daily
productive worplace
Assistant Coach- Men's (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 11, 2017
Go into the office in the morning and start recruiting for the incoming class. Plan that days training session, have one to one player interviews, check in with Physical trainers
Great University
Academic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 9, 2017
Outstanding opportunity working with student athletes!
Outstanding University leadership!
Low pay per hours required to do a top quality job for student athletes. NCAA directly relates to most blame in this area
Pros
Great environment, Fun University
Cons
Ncaa
I do not want to write a review.
Instructor in Accounting (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 5, 2017
I do not want to write a review. I would like to use your service, but the fact that I am forced to write about my current employer is invasive. I wish you would offer an option to skip.
Great kids, terrible managers.
Grill Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 29, 2017
Regattas Dining Hall. You don't get to have a personal life. Most managers don't know what they're doing. Underpaid, overworked. Some people seem to be able to call out whenever with no consequences. Others not so much. Huge problem with favoritism. The students are great though. The vacation was good too.
Pros
Free lunch, good benefits.
Cons
Low pay, high work, bad management.
Excellent place to work
Store Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 24, 2017
Excellent place to work where the owner is very invested in the development of the employees. The weather can be extreme but the work is not too strenuous.
A typical day
Line Prep (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 21, 2017
The work atmosphere was rough. I often did not enjoy going to work. My coworkers sometimes made it worth the stress. I do not ever want to work in a place like that again.
Relaxed
PAYROLL ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 18, 2017
Relaxed environment. This was a temp assignment so my opinion really does not matter. I was not there long enough to give a fair opinion. Everyone there was nice.
Great Place To Work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 15, 2017
This is a small university, which explains the positive feedback in the way employees are treated here. Not much room for advancement opportunities because everyone whom works here salary is maxed out. Yet whatever field of your choosing, you'll find a easy stress free environment.
Pros
Great co-workers, stress free environment.
Cons
Little room for advancement in all departments.
Generally a good situation
Assistant Professor, Department of History (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 7, 2017
Job was great, colleagues were generally great. Administration and department were always at odds. Was a political pawn. Would have wanted sniping to be at a minimum.
Pros
Compensation.
Cons
Political situation
Great place to work!
Marketing Intern at Conference and Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 4, 2017
I loved it and worked there as a part-time student for 2 years! Great people, management, and positive work environment! I am totally recommending this place to work at.
Pros
Good community to work for
Front of the house Manager (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 15, 2017
I work close with the students at CNu. The students are awesome and the benefits are also very good. The hardest part of the job is the heavy lifting.
Pros
free meals, benefits
Cons
Not enough staffing
staying happy
Bartender and Server (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 25, 2017
I work there as a second job for extra income and because it is fast paced. I am a people person and love to stay busy. I enjoy making people laugh and being able to serve the public.
Pros
loving life
Got a decent degree
Assistant Videographer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 21, 2017
Christopher Newport University is a pretty okay school. Campus couldn't be better, but the teaching faculty was pretty weak in some cases. The dining halls are rough.
A good part-time job to have while in college
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 5, 2017
A good part-time job to have while in college. The manager is nice and the tasks are simple and often allow times in which to complete any homework that you need to do.
Great people, little room for advancement
Executive Secretary Senior (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 22, 2017
The people employed with CNU are wonderful. Bring a small university, there is little room for advancement and upward mobility. I have enjoyed my time here but need something more challenging and rewarding.
Wonderful higher education environment and wonderful place to work.
Enrollment Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 6, 2017
I earned by BA from CNU and loved it so much I stayed for a total of 20 years. I began my career here and loved every minute of it. I loved what I did and got my initial training in IT here, working as the liason between IT and Admissions/Recruiting.
Pros
Wonderful environment, great benefits and room for advancement
Cons
I can't think of any
Fast paced company with good workers
Marketing Intern at Conference and Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 4, 2017
I am enjoying to work there! There are friendly employees and employers. Friendly environment along with kind and hard-working people makes this organization incredible.
Pros
Culture, workers
Its a job
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 29, 2017
The work is steady for the most part. The work environment is like going to high school all over again. They prefer people who do not speak up for themselves. If you get a job there, the best advice I can give is do not get too friendly with a soul.
great work place
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 20, 2017
I love the people I work with. They are very helpful in guiding you through the work day. Everyone works together, so its nothing to hard about the work day. Its a good feeling environment, and I never dread going in to work.