Christus Health Employee Reviews

Never again.
PFS Associate (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 28, 2014
I literally don't know where to start. This is the most unprofessional place I've ever worked at. I'll try to keep everything brief because I have just that much to tell.

First off, the PFS department is a lie. Do NOT work for this dept. The good thing about it is that they don't do background checks so you can lie on your resume and they will offer you the job on the same day.

When you start, you will be put in a training class. EVERYONE in PFS will be there: Nurse Auditors, Billers, Validators, Vendor Coordinators, Financial Analyst, everyone. You will be taught to do everyone's job but your own and then given a test to take at the end. Of course I failed it because I don't do their job. I was walking on eggshells for MONTHS thinking I was going to lose my job.

Second, they gave us checks that wouldn't cash. Let me retype this: THEY GAVE US PAYCHECKS THAT WOULD NOT CASH. They messed up my direct deposit (along with everyone else's in my training class.) We had a girl in my training class quit in two weeks b/c she promised her landlord that she would have the money by our first payday. She lost her apartment b/c they gave her a false check. I have bounced more checks working for this company than I ever have IN MY LIFE. I have switched 3 banks in 6 months. I was at Bank of America for 3 hours on company time trying to get that check cashed. They ended up putting me on a pre-paid credit card w/ “associate” on it. I couldn’t pay my bills with that so I ended up having to cash it at the bank. By then, I was being charged for not having a direct deposit. Needless to say, I wasn’t
  more... reimbursed for it.

Third, my benefits didn’t kick in until 3 or 4 months in. When they did, my check was $179 light. HR argued me up and down saying that it was correct. (Mind you, it’s just me on the insurance.) By the time they got it together, they gave me a check for the difference and – surprise – the check didn’t cash.

Third, you have the politics of it all. These reps are promised bonuses and then they won't give them to them. They pick on every small detail in the world. You will be called in the office for every little thing. (The entire CHRISTUS establishment is bad, but especially PFS.) No one follows the dress code, but only the non-favorites get pulled to the side to be talked to. Stuff like that.

Last, they can't keep anyone. Directors, managers and associates have left so much that they replaced the PFS director. They will bring in a new manager and 7 weeks later, she quits. We've lost (I think) 6 managers in the last 2 or 3 months alone. Because of this, the entire 3rd and 4th floors keep getting re-arranged. We’ve moved around so many times I’ve lost count. Because they can’t keep managers in here, they keep re-doing everything. Other departments have been completely replaced in the matter of months.

My advice: Take the job if you can’t get anything else. Lie on your resume to you get paid better. Lie on your salary. The person who they pick behind you will make more than you so get as much as you can. Otherwise, skip over this one. This whole organization put many families out of work to move here to Dallas and the few that relocated here are getting paid less than we are. This company has screwed over countless families and please believe once they get you they will screw you too.
Pros
there aren't any
Cons
i can't count that high.

Comment – April 13, 2015

Mark my words: They are going to outsource the entire PFS division. The CEO spent ALL that money to move these people out - which I get - but they can't keep anybody. These folks straight out broke their contracts to get back home. Others just quit. They can't have training classes fast enough. It's too much headache for upper-level management. They are going to just push out the entire department.

Will let you go in a heartbeat
Medical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Christus Santa RosaAugust 23, 2013
After working here I have come to notice that Christus Santa Rosa will let anyone go in a heartbeat when they are not making any money. Within the first couple months of me starting they were experiencing budget crunches. They fired a fellow MT who had massive experience, great attitude, and got along with the entire staff. She had been working there 6 months and they fired her because she was the "newest" person there. A couple weeks later 2 lab techs quit and they called the lady they had fired to see if she would come back. Well of course she denied the position, who would come back to a job that would let you go in the blink of an eye with no warning?

The company pays horribly, I came in with a base pay of $16.00 when I had 3 years of experience, which is the bare minimum. I come to find out that a MT who had a 4 year degree was only making .50 cents more than I did, AND he had been working for Christus for 5+ years. WOW really?! I have an AS, and a person that has a BS is only making 50 cents more than me, that is horrid. They even cut differential pay for the phlebotomists to save money, and they get pay dirt cheap for LOADS of patient draws as is. What kind of incentive is that to instill employee loyalty?

They do not care about their 2nd and 3rd shift employees, only that they come into work and forbid any type of overtime. You have to explain why you worked 5-10 mins over your shift like you committed a terrible sin, or you will not get paid the over time. Someone called into work sick one time in the 2 years that they worked there and got written up for it, so much
  more... for caring about your employees not even a "hope you feel better". The management is so biased towards 1st shift it is ridiculous. They could make a mistake and not even get a slap on the wrist because they are all best buds with the section supervisors.

They only good thing about working for this company is probably the benefits, very low costing health insurance and 401b plan are the only reasons to even work there. Good luck trying to climb the ranks, either someone has to get hurt, or get fired to take a higher position.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
very low pay, biased management, overworked, under appreciated
NOT a good place to work!!!
Incomplete Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJuly 20, 2014
Christus CLAIMS to be a religious institution but it is no longer all about GOD and helping others it is about the $$$. There are also too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Random people would come in from a different Christus hospital and tell me I couldn't do something and then someone else would come in and say you can't do this, why aren't you doing that...We weren't in charge of our own medical records department, others with NO people skills would come in from 200 miles away and micro manage everything!!! You could feel the tension in our department when we knew they were coming because they were SO rude. When I brought this to the attention of others including the integrity line and HR, I was turned on and eventually set up for failure. Now, I'm only speaking of the Lake Charles, LA hospital. I have also worked for St. Elizabeth in Beaumont, TX and never had any issues. No overtime and often made you flex your hours.
Cons
too many to mention here
Family oriented company, plenty of opportunities for advancement within the company. Management very understanding & always willing to help.
Medicaid & Commercial Insurance Collector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2014
A typical day working at Christus Health always started out with a group prayer. The management team was always hands on & available whenever we needed them. We had daily meetings to discuss issues, problems & opportunities within the company. Myself & my co-workers all worked very closely to resolve accounts. We also had different focus groups that the entire office was a part of that we made fun not just always so intense & stressful. The hardest part of the job was when we first transitioned to Six Sigma which required us to work in a completely open space next to one another & no longer in a cubicle. But in the end it was very rewarding because it allowed us to work better together & openly discuss issues & it brought us closer together more like a family & not just co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that we took time out to come together with everyone including the management team to just relax & have a good time away from the stress of the job.
Management/DON untrustworthy & unapproachable
Nurse (Former Employee) –  New BraunfelsApril 7, 2015
This company is the worst to work for. They do not care about their employees. Management will take your concerns but will do nothing with them. The DON is absolutely horrible!! He doesn't care about the nursing staff one bit! He's very unfriendly and unapproachable. What he says goes and that's it! Never does he come to the floor to ask how the nursing staff is doing. The patients are all numbers and dollar signs. Always understaffed & the nursing staff is pretty much total caregiver for your patient load. Usually one CNA on the floor with up to 30 patients, so the nurse is usually doing everything for their patient assignment of the day. The only good thing is the people & doctors I worked with. Definitely minus the management!!! This hospital has gone way downhill in the past 5 years in taking care of their employees and it's not going to get better any time soon.
Pros
Team members & doctors worked with.
Cons
Horrible management/DON!!!
Fast paced, challenging yet rewarding place to work
Revenue Cycle Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 4, 2015
As a result of our lean Six Sigma processes every team had their routine for what their day would entail. With all of the visuals we had, I kept abreast of our work status at all times and was able to shift FTE's to fill roles as needed.

As a manager over the Medicare team, it was important for me to be able to speak to the financial status of each client and be able to provide quick responses and resolution if questions or concerns arose.

Our management team worked well together as we collaborated with one another regarding issues, trends and opportunities, in addition, we were able to cover for each other as needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see my team learn, grow and experience the satisfaction of meeting and exceeding their monthly goals.
Pros
six sigma lean training
Great Benefits and Compensation
Managed Medicare PFS (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 16, 2015
Management tends to change quite frequently. Tools are very outdated and in spite of the employee surveys, management is not willing to make the changes to promote a better work environment.

No consistency between the facilities and CBO. Tools do not let you perform your work in an accurate and timely manner to perform your daily production. Too much hunting for EOB's that should be scanned to either one centralized location or to each account.

This used to be a great place to work but management keeps changing the expectations and now one feels that "big brother" is keeping watch. One cannot even approach another team mate anymore to say good morning.
Pros
Periodic free lunches, great coworkers
Cons
Too many management teams/high turnover rate
Different but nice work environment
Patient Financial Services Associate II, Validator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 12, 2013
Typical day at work consisted of validated patient account payments and working the delinquent account or credit balance account queue. I learned how to use my time wisely during work hours by attending a week long Kaizen training class. My co-workers were awesome people to work with and learn from but the upper management needs to be evaluated and possibly trained again on what it really means to be an effective supervisor, manager, director, or human resources associate. The most enjoyable part of my day was when I am able to get to work and be productive.
Pros
all of the available resources to learn and move up
Cons
management and supervisors made it hard to make those moves because of a lack of real communication
Current employee
Patient Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 31, 2013
In response to the comment made by a previous manager. Your attitude got you fired. You talked to your team and treated them as if they were children. Eyes and neck rolling, smacking your lips and cursing is not professional. HR was biased, It took a complaint from an associate you called a friend for them to realize the previous complaints wasn't lies. And yes you had many many MANY complaints from other associates that was outside your team. So Don't be mad at the associates be mad at yourself and your friends. Oh yeah you might wanna ask your "friend" what she say about you after your dismissal. In all Watch who you call your friends. Lesson learn lesson taught. Best wishes to you.
NOT WHAT I EXPECTED FROM A SPOHN FACILITY
PATIENT ACCESS REP (Former Employee) –  PORTLANDApril 15, 2014
INITIALLY WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY I WAS EXCITED BUT AS TIME WENT ON I REALIZED THAT MANAGEMENT WAS NOT HELPFUL, AND SEEMED NOT TO KNOW HOW TO DO THE JOB. MEDICAL DIRECTOR WAS VERY RUDE AND SEEMED SCARED TO TREAT PATIENTS FOR FEAR OF A LAW SUIT. MANY TIMES THE MEDICAL DIRECTOR WOULD ASK ME TO TELL PATIENTS WHO NEEDED HELP TO GO TO THE ER, SOMETIMES THESE PATIENTS WERE IN URGENT NEED OF ASSISTANCE, WHEN I WOULD EXPLAIN WHAT SHE SAID, THE DOCTOR WOULD SAY NEVER TELL THE PATIENT THE DOCTOR SAID. FOR FEAR OF A LAW SUIT. VERY WEIRD. THE SAME MEDICAL DIRECTOR WOULD CHARGE SOME PATIENTS AND NOT CHARGE CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS. AT THE END I JUST FELT THAT THIS FACILITY WAS NOT A PLACE I WANTED TO WORK FOR.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
management needed training
Previous Manager
PFS - Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 21, 2013
Upper management and HR is non supportive when dealing with associate issues. If you apply the policies and procedures you will be retaliated against by the associates. When they run to HR you pretty much should resign because if you dont you will be fired. They will not discuss anything with you its true if you did/ said it or not. The management is full of brown nosers and people who are afraid to speak up. CONSIDERING MANAGEMENT AT CHRISTUS you will be walking on eggshells, overworked and will almost never manage your team. Fired at the dropped of a dime no clue it was going to happen.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
upper management, biased hr dept, no voice
Stands for dignity, integrity, excellence, compassion and stewardship
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2012
Working for ChristUs Health has allowed me to work with remarkable individuals who have dedicated their life to serving and extending the ministry of Jesus Christ. The positive environment at the workplace is like no other. I have learned plenty about the sisters congregation, their lifestyle and the purpose of their service. The hardest part about my job is not knowing when it is alright to ask certain questions. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to admire the beauty within the location I work in (Villa de Matel).
Pros
location, health benefits, positive environment
Cons
short/no breaks, limited amount of positions available
MTs run away quickly
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TexasNovember 10, 2012
Christus Hospital in New Braunfels Texas does not value it's laboratory personell. The pay is very low despite the hard work and long hours. The wages are below a living wage for a 4 year college graduate. Warning : If you are not a Texan and are from out of state they are very predjudice.
The HR will try and bait and switch you with the promise of a day shift hours, only to switch to a different schedule after you accept the position.
Their laboratory equipment is not standard to other hospitals.

My advice DO NOT WORK HERE.
Cons
the entire experience.
Health plans
Provider Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 12, 2015
 Assists in the basic operations of the Provider Relations Department.
 Provides service to provider practices by resolving problems and advising providers of new protocols, policies and procedures.
 Assist in negotiating, reviewing, and preparing enrollment agreements with facilities, laboratories, and group physician practices.
 Assists with the development and monitoring of provider contracts.
 Resolves administrative problems affecting network providers, patients, and plans within contracted guidelines for which the network is responsible.
 Assures the provider documentation is complete and accurate. Ensures the accuracy of provider data entered into the provider database.
 Coordinates provider status information with member services and other plan departments. - Performs other duties as required.
Nurses are wonderful to the patients. Management is lacking in several areas.
RN (Former Employee) –  Beaumont TXMarch 11, 2015
I had a bad experience with this employer but this is not a bad company to work for. I had worked for them in the past with no complaints. I think it makes a big difference on who your manager is. Mine was overworked and over stressed, Therefore was disorganized and forgetful. Each time her mistakes surfaced, she put the blame on employee. Lost respect for her very quickly.
Pros
good benefits, flexible schedule, units staffed predominately with rn's
Cons
sub standard pay for experience, management is very disorganized.
Great place to work, customer/client satisfaction is major priority of the company
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXOctober 13, 2015
I have been blessed to work at this company for as long as I have and I really have grown in my professional development by working here. Each day brings on its blessings, trials and whatever, but with the help of great coworkers, we get the job done. Most of all our clients leave knowing that they have received excellent care. Overall rating of Christus Health is excellent!
Pros
Great pay
Cons
staffing/hours
A good company to work for
Team Lead/Traditional Medicaid Validator (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 22, 2014
Christus Health offers plenty of room to advance. They offer training opportunities and the managers are always visible. The work environment is team based and you become a faily with your team. The hardest part of the job is working in an open environment where everyone can see and hear what you do and say.
Pros
room to advance
Cons
pto is used for holidays, vacation, sick time, and any time the office is closed due to hazardous conditions or system issues.
Working in a hospital setting seeing various diseases
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAApril 9, 2012
Typical work day consisted of verifying benefits, researched, adjusted and balanced patients' accounts. Screened patients for financial assistance. Visited patients in their room to request payments on current and past due accounts. Educated patients regarding their coverage and benefits.

Learned various rules and guidelines in a hospital setting.

Management was knowledgeable.

Co-workers were friendly and helpful.

Hardest part of job was requesting payments from senior patients.

Most enjoyable part of job was helping department to meet financial goal each month.
It is a faith based company
Master Data Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 9, 2015
i am constantly busy. The workload can be overwhelming sometimes. My team consist of 3 people. At times it can be difficult to communicate with external or internal customers via the phone due to the openness of our cubical layouts. I think Christus Health is an upcoming employer of choice.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the diversity. We have a very diverse group of people from all walks of life!!
Wonderful experience, great people, worked hard every minute
Buyer II (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 14, 2014
Christus Health Procurement/ Supply Chain is a very rewarding yet very fast paced opportunity. I worked with multiple sales reps and vendors. Created time sensitive purchase orders, verified pricing, uploaded contracts, verified best pricing vs contract pricing, updated item numbers within our purchasing systems, and so much more.
Pros
made great friends for life.
Cons
expected to work 60+ per week