Chrysalis Employee Reviews in United States

Unpredictable environments with unpredictable people that can sometimes be strangely rewarding.
Direct Support Provider (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 26, 2015
Chrysalis expects a lot out of its employees, and pays them very little. I worked there for 2 years, got bit in the face, successfully used the trained restraining techniques, spent over a month working 60-80 hour weeks, never made a medical or paperwork error, helped train a new manager and acted as manager during a transitional period, and never received a raise. The management is by far the hardest part of the job. And the totally inflexible hours. All that aside, however, this is either the best or worst job depending on the individuals you serve. Some individuals are fun and nice, and love chilling out and watching movies. Some individuals require more attention than infants, and constantly nag and even threaten physical harm upon you. Sometimes clients escape and run down the street, and suddenly a hundred safety concerns are placed upon your shoulders. But it's nothing $8/hr can't fix (sarcasm). Typically those things don't happen, but once you've worked a couple years you will have seen it all.
Pros
watching movies, playing games
Cons
very poor pay, high level of responsibility
Easy and fun.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Helper, UTMarch 21, 2016
It''s a very fun job, you get to participate in many of the activities and you learn a lot of life skills in the process. Great company to work for.
help troubled teens
TREATMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALApril 2, 2016
Help troubled teen girls turn their life around for the better. Teach the girls how to cook, shop, and the importance of getting their education
Chrysalis Domestic Violence Agency
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 31, 2013
I love working at this company. The company does amazing things to help women and men succeed after traumatic events. the clients I have meet changed my life. The hardest part of the job is working in nonprofit you will often end up doing jobs that aren't your job title and sometimes your overly worked. Management is calm, and will actually sit down with you and explain how you need to improve (by giving REAL/ACTUAL events that they have noticed happening instead of general statements) In the end amazing company that changes lives and you get to work great fundraisers too!
Pros
life changing clients
Cons
somtimes overly worked
fun work place
Aide (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTMarch 7, 2016
it was a fun job and i loved the residents. They do fun activities and they are so much fun. its a good opportunity. they pay good. are also really good with the hours.
Poor management, neglection of clients, low pay
House Care Taker (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTSeptember 10, 2015
Slow work environment but very mentally straining and demanding, I had not felt safe due to work injuries caused by clients. Management had not provided help with clients and also poorly cared for their employees.
Pros
Free lunches, good coworkers
Cons
Poor management, low pay, stressful work place
Management sucks.
Residential Staff (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTOctober 19, 2014
This has to be one of the worst places I have ever worked. The management is an absolute joke. They beg you to apply for management positions even though they already have someone in mind for the job. Sometimes they don't even post the openings; they just give it to whoever they want to. We never have enough staff which is understandable considering the $8/hr that they pay. But if you suck up enough to management, you'll get a Chrysalis Buck that you can spend at a company auction that will most likely occur when you're taking a final. No one cares.

And you'll probably get hurt. Have fun!
Pros
making a difference...but only if management lets you.
Cons
low pay. no benefits. management couldn't care less about you.
A profession where you can make a diffference
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 15, 2012
Chrysalis is a good place to work for those wanting to make a direct impact on the lives of individuals for whom the program supports. Financial compensation is typically not very good in this type of direct support profession, but the perks at Chrysalis are worth a smaller paycheck. It is easy to become emotionally invested in the lives of supported individuals. The work is often emotionally draining and physically taxing, depending on the amount of direct care individuals require, however. Working in an industry that supports those with mental and physical disabilities, is very eye-opening. I recommend this profession short-term to those with an open mind, open heart and lots of patience.
Pros
chrysalis bucks program, fun staff, outings with residents
Cons
emotionally draining work, round the clock care, work on holidays, advancement unlikely
Great work, but badly executed.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVDecember 10, 2015
The services provided by Chrysalis are wonderful, I don't think I've ever enjoyed the actual work more than I did with this company. The clients we were privileged to work with were amazing and I was deeply honored to be a part of their care.
However as a business this company, or at least the Carson City branch, had many issues. Staff turn over was so high that we were constantly hiring new employees and were often understaffed. While NEO training was as through as it could be, once you were actually placed in one of the homes to work you had to figure things out as you went. Due to being understaffed and overworked, not all of the staff was understanding of this. There were frequently issues among staff that very much so affected to client care.
Scheduling was also a frequent problem. Despite putting in notice at least two weeks in advance I frequently wasn't able to make Dr appointments or had to scramble to fit in additional training for a secondary position. There were many times I worked two weeks or more without a day off. Depending on the manager I was dealing with the willingness to fill in and work overtime was either acknowledged or went completely unnoticed until I wasn't able to come in or need a shift covered. I was even injured twice in a week while working and instead of our area director asking about how I was, I was reprimanded for being 'unreliable'. I was then transferred to a new house and went from working 40+ hrs a week to working less than 10.
Staff had little to no say in where they were placed which was hard on clients and staff as rapport building
  more... is an important part of their care. In the five months I worked with the company I was transferred 4 times between 3 different homes.
I even had issues with one residential manager taking issue with me being favored by a client. The manager went so far as to tell the client she wasn't allowed to call me her favorite staff because it hurt other staffs feelings, which is a very clear violation of the clients rights and borderline abusive.
The week before I finally quit the previously mentioned manager reprimanded me for not being available to work over the weekend because I was going camping for my sons birthday. She had already given me my schedule for the week two days before that and I had waited for it to make my plans. She told me that I had needed to inform her before making my plans, plans that I made on my time off according to the schedule she had made.

I did love working with the Behavior Analysts. They were extremely professional and through in making sure our clients were being properly advocated and cared for. This company does great work, but the way the company is run makes it difficult for anyone to remain an employee especially if they aren't a young single individual.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives individuals, Healthcare and paid vacation time-after working with the company for a year.
Cons
Extremely disorganized management, Terrible scheduling, Chronically understaffed, Lack of professionalism and proper training of company policy in management.
Fun workplace
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTJuly 14, 2015
Typical day at work included housekeeping, teaching skills, spending time with clients. Learned how to chart, co-workers were great.
Management wasn't as professional as you'd like them to be, but they were nice. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping people.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Graveyard shift was all that was available
A successful non-profit committed to their goals and mission statement
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2014
Productive professional experience, working environment and management team. The most challenging, yet enjoyable part of the job, was working with those of mental and physical disabilities. The task, duties and expectations, were those I look forward to exceeding while holding this title as a career.
Pros
philanthropy, employment placement and mission statement
Cons
permanent employment
Good work and good people.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 3, 2015
Working with Chrysalis was a good experience for a entry level job. It teaches you about cooking,cleaning,hygiene and, to always be aware. The management differed from house to house that you would work at some being better than others but never so bad that you would want to quit. Hardest part of the job was when a client would get angry and try to assault fellow staff members. And the best part was when you would see your clients learning something or succeeding at something. Working always meant you had to clean the house at the beginning and end of the shift at least.
A Great Place To Gain Experience
Lead Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 24, 2015
Working with this company gave me great skills to carry into the future , the opportunities to advancement were great and the pay should have been better .
Pros
Experience
Cons
Pay Rate
Intensive but fun workplace
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Cedar City, UTJuly 10, 2015
A typical day of work I show up 5 minutes early, clock in, and read the morning notes to see what mood the clients are in. Then I make sure all previously assigned tasks have been finished or are in progress. If other staff are present I take a moment to find out when their shift is over and what is going on that day. I then begin asking my clients questions like, what do you have planned for today? If there are no plans then I start coming up with suggestions until a decision is reached. I assist the clients and enforce guidelines (administering medication, enforcing rules, writing reports) until my shift is almost over then I fill out my end of shift paperwork. I remind other staff my shift is over, ensure the situation is calm and clock out at my designated time.
Management is involved anytime there is an unusual or serious situation that needs clarity or authorization and it is nice to know you have back-up. Co-workers are team members and are a key part of success.
The hardest part of my job is when there are negative interaction between two clients, or a client and a staff member. My duty is then to calm the situation and solve the problem if possible.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to make a positive impact in the lives of the people I serve. Whether big or small a positive change is what encourages me to always try my best.
Pros
Fun activities, flexible schedules.
Cons
Stressful situations, unpredictable situations.
Fun place
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVOctober 16, 2012
Eachday was different working in the homes you never knew what the day was going to bring, management was ok they interacted with workers, co-workers varied depending on assigned house, the hardest part of the job was controlling individuals as they had behaviors causing housemates to go off, and the enjoyable part was helping my individuals with life lessons.
Pros
helping others
Cons
benefits, wages, and breaks.
Decent Job
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 29, 2015
I enjoyed working with the individuals I did and I learned many things. Compensation is not very good. Even if you have experience, they only start you off at minimum wage. Some managers are willing to work with your schedule while others will make you deal with it even if you have other obligations.
Pros
Paid lunch and breaks
Cons
Difficult individuals, terrible pay
Enjoyed helping individuals on a daily basis complete goals.
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, UTMay 21, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was to see my individuals smile and get excited when they completed a goal they had set.On a typical day I would take individuals to medical appointments, clean, plan meals, grocery shop, set medical appointments, make schedules for the staff I managed, help with daily living skills, cook, attend any behavior meetings that were set, paperwork, making copies,typing progress reports, and take them out on activities that they enjoyed. I learned that life is what you make it and to except everyone. My staff that I managed for seven years were great and an asset to the team.
Pros
Being such a big part of my clients lives.
Cons
Being on call constantly
It is alright place to work
Care Giver (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTSeptember 2, 2014
This place is good place to work if you love to assist people with becoming independent.
Pros
clients you work with
Cons
don't pay enough, deal with a lot of clients that are mean, the management is not good, and there is no way to advancement unless your a favorite.
If you like being on call 24/7 for part time work......
Staff (Former Employee) –  Price, UTMarch 14, 2014
Your hours vary greatly with this job. The company will classify you as part time but you will usually work full time with overtime (even though they say "no overtime"). You have to work 2 months straight with full time hours to be classified full time and to get the benefits. What usually happens though is you will have FT+ for about 4-6 weeks then you will get 15-30hrs for 2-4 weeks then your 2 months have to start again.

You will also have many "surprise" meetings that you are expected to attend even if you have plans. Your schedule changes constantly so expect to have it changed with no more than 24hrs notice. So good luck on trying to make any plans with your life.
Pros
some of the clients will steal your heart.
Cons
you are promised lots of activites to keep the clients busy, but the clients have to have "funds" and they never do.
Great for students
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 21, 2015
It is a great company to work while a college student. The shifts vary but you typically don't work between 9 am to 3 pm. so you don't have to stress out over inner-twining work and school scheduling.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
administration politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chrysalis. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9