CHS Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Decent place to work, management sucks
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  South Sioux City, NEJuly 29, 2016
Worked for CHS for 5 years and the people that work there are great. The management team are unwilling to hire from within and give no direction to employees to grow. Communication is unheard of. Bad employee to management relations.
Pros
Occasional free safety lunches
Cons
Management team has no vision
Committed to our farmer owners and employees
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 25, 2016
CHS is a diverse organization with fourteen business units. Due to our diversity there is no "typical day", which makes it fun and challenging. If you are looking for a company where you can make a difference, this is the place for you! Co-workers and customer owners are truly like family. There is so much to do, prioritizing is the biggest challenge. Leadership competencies are: Integrity, Accountability, Owner Focus, People and Talent Focus, and Enterprise Collaboration.
Pros
Farmer owned cooperative, employees are like family, commitment to helping our farmer owners grow, excellent benefits, flexible work hours
Cons
experiencing growing pains
Grumpy, angry and uneducated re just a couple of the words that describe management.
Fertilizer Plant person (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDMay 13, 2016
Management sucks, all they care about is the bottom dollar. They call themselves a Farmers Coop but in the end it's just a money grubbing typical business, not giving a dam About the environment.
Pros
Holiday Party
Cons
Indoor Pollution, ignorant Mgmt
Good paying seasonal job
CDL Driver/Laborer and maintance repair (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MTNovember 9, 2015
They treat u good and pay u well in the spring time. They award you for your hard work. They treated well. Fun people to work for and have fun visiting with the farmers and helping them get there crops growing
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Seasonal
Unhappy with recent changes
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNOctober 20, 2015
Worked for CHS for several years and really enjoyed working for the company. They have great benefits and offered many opportunities for growth and development. Recent changes in leadership and new leadership lacked providing direction.
Cons
The company is so big that each department has its own culture.
Fantastic Company to work for
Office Manager/Safety Leader (Former Employee) –  Tillamook, OROctober 16, 2015
Working for CHS Inc under the Energy Division was a great experience. The company is a large Fortune 100 company but feels more like a family. Safety is the number one priority, and you feel from Corp. that they truly care about you. They offer training and advancement opportunities.
great benefits and management
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNOctober 3, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Great scheduling and very good dispatchers and coworkers. I wish I could have continued working for this company. Family issues brought me back to California.
Fun, but stressful job
Sr. Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Creston, IASeptember 21, 2015
CHS is a wonderful company to work for, especially as a Repair Tech. Heavy work load, but wonderful teamwork. A company that is truly all about the employee. Although I had to leave because I continued to contract lung infections while working in the high dust environment, CHS stood behind me in every way, including the transition back to full time self employment.
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
Very long hours, and sometimes many days from home
fun work place
Quality Assurance Monitor (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSSeptember 17, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Nice
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MTAugust 28, 2015
Good environment, excellent benefits, great pay. had a wonderful run with the company, but when I lost the vision in one eye they would not offer me another position

that's all folks
Good job that can offer future positions.
Maintenenace Technician (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJuly 27, 2015
Made sure all equipment was in perfect working condition prior to start up. Routine check ups of the plant. Maintenance conducted on anything that need repair. This included fabricating, replacing, installing, and housekeeping of facility.
Pros
Local
benefits
decent places to work
Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 20, 2015
co workers and managers was cool you would have to be there at 6am ready to go work was m-f and weekends off sometime youd get extra days off due to weather you got to be outside and you meet alot of new people
Pros
learn new things worked with decent peoples
Cons
weather if it rains hard you make on money
Not good for a Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  EnidMarch 17, 2015
The hardest part of the job is they don't really care about a driver. they have e-logs but they push you past your time every day. also the trucks are autos...just horrible
Pros
Cons
alot
People are Numbers
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNOctober 16, 2014
This company, in my opinion, is too big. There are so many people with constant growth and people have become robots.
Very physically demanding job
forklift operator and Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Hutchinsons, KSSeptember 9, 2014
I enjoyed this job due to the physical requirements. In the warehouse a typical day started with wrapping finished pallets from the day before, setting up all orders to be loaded on trucks. After we started putting products onto pallets. 50lb bags were transferred from a large pallet to a smaller one. Usually 3 bags per tier and 11-12 stacks high. Management was always around making sure safety guidelines were followed. We usually worked in 5 man teams, 4 people doing the lifting and one driving the forklift. The hardest part of the job was keeping trainees motivated enough to want to do the work. We went through so many people it was hard to keep them trained and vigilant. I enjoyed the mental challenge, and I never stopped learning. It kept my attention from the first day until my last.
Pros
mentally and physically challenging
Cons
keeping new employees at the job for more then a week.
Great benefits with good management
Petroleum Hazardous Materials Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDSeptember 2, 2014
Company has a culture of caring for it's employees and providing excellent benefits.
Independent assignment to create a dynamic Excel spreadsheet for domestic property tax accruals
ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNAugust 7, 2014
I arrived each morning before 8 am to prepare for the day. At the beginning of the assignment, I conferred with the tax department on what the information described and the calculations produced on each of the 76 property tax forms. Then, with the appropriate understanding and knowledge gained, I created a complex and dynamic excel spreadsheet for each location that would calculate a monthly property tax accrual to enter in the company's accounting system. Therefore, if you wanted to determine the property tax accrual as of July, you just select the month of July in the calendar drop-down list and the spreadsheet would display the automatic calculations for each location according to that month. I really appreciated the help I received from the employees in the Tax Department and feel the hardest part of the job was learning the Excel features needed to make the data calculate according the tax forms and produce each monthly property tax accrual correctly. Thus, the most enjoyable aspect of the assignment was being able to learn, improve, and use my Excel skills to create a complex yet dynamic spreadsheet to be easily used when simply selecting any month from a drop-down menu.
Pros
expanding tax knowledge with property tax exposure and improving excel skills.
Cons
length of time spent researching excel features to accomplish calculation goals.
One of MN's most succesful companies!
LOGISTICS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 26, 2014
CHS is an amazing Fortune 100 company! I managed the loaded truck logistics, tracking and tracing movement of Crop Nutrient products across the United States. Very challenging position that required a "can do will do" attitude. The management team was very supportive and I was granted a lot of freedom to implement cost effective programs.
Pros
excellent company, benefits package, challenging career
Cons
work life balance
Lawson HR and Payroll Support
Senior Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNFebruary 13, 2014
SQL skills were increased here. I had fun learning Trailblazer scripting for FTP file transmission. Managed quarterly Lawson patching. Truly enjoyed attending Midwest Lawson User Group meetings.
Below average work Place
Terminal Opertor (Former Employee) –  50 chester Drive St.Paul MNFebruary 13, 2014
I worked At CHS For almost 2 years, Unsafe, Envoriment, Breathing urea,And Other Fertilzers dust in, In Basement pits Shoveling sometimes with Just Given A little dust Mask, Hard to Breath, Had To Shovel In Hard to Breathe Places, Had To Work 17 to 20 hour Days without even A break Days on end. And ur Just a seaonal part time employee without benefits. making 13-14 per hr. I started to get chest Pains And got a hurnia, and they didnt even wanna talk about it, said after busy season, go get it checked out... Got Laid Off, Cause They didnt wat to hear me complain about this terminal... Thats Messed Up..
Pros
slow times, relax alittle, back to 40 hr work weeks
Cons
no breaks, very very busy twice a year. no raises. bad mangement to employees