Chuck & Don's Pet Food & Supplies Employee Reviews

Good part time job, horrible full time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MNOctober 1, 2017
Chuck and Don's would be a great part time job for extra money but working there full time is a nightmare. The favoritism is ridiculous. I always enjoyed working with my coworkers but the store managers are usually obese women who don't do anything except sit in the back room. The store managers expect you to kiss their butt and if you don't they will get rid of you. I had MANY different store managers and they all were lazy. They are pushy about upselling and hitting sales numbers. Do not work here full time!
Pros
Pet food education, free pet food
Cons
Lazy managers, favoriting, drama
Awesome place to work!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMay 21, 2017
I just loved working here. So many great employees and we became like family. Learned so much about pet food and the quality of pet food, and saw so many dogs. Always learning something new!
Not very good
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 9, 2017
Favorites get promoted, many people dont do their job, pay is horrible, management is bad. I felt like i was doing more work due to the fact that others would just stand around. Great for a first time job not a career
Part time sale position
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNApril 26, 2017
Chuck and Don's can be a fun place to work, I mean you get to pay with a bunch of dogs that come into the store,. The management can be out of control, it is pretty easy for them to get a god complex and choose that they don't have to do anything at work. It can be tough at times.
Good Job, bad hours
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COApril 4, 2017
Nice to work at, fun, little to no problems. Often get new managers, co-workers were awesome. I loved the team builds, and the things we'd get together to do.
okay job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNNovember 27, 2016
typical hours a week 20-30 hours, no benefits, if your looking for full time team member they never will. the management was poor. the company has alot of improvement to be done.
Pros
free dog food monthly, educated on products, flexible hours
Cons
poor management
Rampant Favoritism, no room for real advancement
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MNNovember 2, 2016
This company hired me in 2015, but by my 1 year anniversary, everything about them had changed. I came in with the idea of a small, independent, pet supply store which was truly about what is best for the animals. At first, the pay was competitive with similar jobs in the area, the environment was relaxed enough, and the deals were good. That lasted less than 6 months. The company is focused on numbers and selling and upselling.

Through changes in management, everything has changed. My old store manager gave promotions based on seniority and merit; my new one only hands them out if you hound them for one, no matter how long you have been with the company. Their ideas of 'documentation' are basically management getting to write up non-management for whatever they please,whereas they can act on their own whim without repercussion.

I learned that after a year, the typical raise is only 25 cents, and you have to wait an entire year before you are eligible for any type of raise. Management, however, gets bonuses for making budget, which equal 1-3 months of work for the typical non-management employee. They also get bonuses for overtime, whereas non-management cannot make overtime. Thirdly, their bonuses are not set in stone. One manager got nearly a 50 cent raise whereas another got a sub-20 cent raise in the same period. They can also get raises more than annually.

Favoritism is rampant; you will be watched like a hawk if the management doesn't especially like you. You will be scrutinized far more than other employees whether you are doing things right or wrong--and
  more... you'll constantly be accused of doing them wrong.

TL;DR: Don't work for this place. Worst retail I've ever encountered. Even walmart pays more than them.
Fun please to work!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNJuly 16, 2016
It is a wonderful work environment and has amazing work ethnic. Everyone who works at Chuck and Don's is well knowledgable about the product or is always willing to learn.
Good Job
PT Team Member (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNMarch 16, 2016
The people I worked with are laid back. Most days are shipment day besides weekends. Some of the customers are difficult to handle. I enjoy seeing customers bring there dogs in.
Pros
willing to help other stores out, monthly free food, ability to learn more about dog food companies
Cons
no benefits
Love this place. Truly a wonderful place to work.
Full Time Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blaine, MNFebruary 28, 2016
Love this place. Truly a wonderful place to work. Great team, wonderful customers, beautiful pets.

Typical day at work is filled with variety and much interpersonal interaction. I've learned that people who own pets truly are happy and wonderful folks ... and people who work with them are equally wonderful.

The hardest part of the job is that it's a variable schedule and pay is not what I'm accustomed to. I wish I could continue working here and make what I used to make salary-wise. This is retail.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers (both human and 4-legged). It has been just amazing getting to know people who have so much love to give to their animals. It has also been amazing to help in any way I can.
Pros
Great team. Free food for my pets at home.
Cons
I wish I could make more money and not have to work weekends doing this, but this is retail and that's what retail is.
Low Pay
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 11, 2016
Pay was low for the amount of work that is required of management. Long hours over the weekend with little help from others. The do close on all holidays so employees can be with family.
Only Good Things To Say!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 6, 2015
I love my job at Chuck and Don's. I have learned more than I ever imagined about pet nutrition. It's not just another pet store gig--they give you extensive knowledge, so you can act as a consultant to customers.

Must be a dog lover to work here. People bring their dogs in, and we're expected to greet them, give them a treat, etc. As a dog lover, I consider this a perk.

Everyone I have met, from my store, to nearby stores, to corporate, is super nice.

They are very accommodating with availability and time off. I have never had a problem with overscheduling or mistakes.

Chuck and Don's is a great company, too. They run multiple fundraisers for local rescues, and let their employees vote on which rescues they will support that season.

You will work up a sweat. We have shipments every day, of big bags of dog food. I think of it as another perk; I don't have to go to the gym!
Pros
Cute animals, friendly environment.
Cons
Some crazy customers, lots of coupons to deal with.
Amazing workplace with animals and customers!
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNMarch 19, 2015
A typical work day is working out shipment and customer service. Of course, playing with animals is a huge plus to the job. Managing employee's can sometimes be a struggle, but it always works out in the end.
Great place to work for
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 19, 2015
This is a great company to work for, great training for their team members. great atmosphere for all employees. Management is very friendly and open to suggestions. They empower you to be yourself and encourage you to help in the community
good place to work
Assisstant Manager (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNFebruary 5, 2015
This is a good place to work and they treat their employees well and their customers are always nice and friendly. They take care of their employees
Ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 28, 2015
Good place to learn about quality animal food. Carries good products. lots of interesting petowners. Good customer service standards.
Learned qutie alot about pet food
Team member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 16, 2014
Learned much about pet food, pet supplements and toys. Had a great supervisor and wonderful customers.
Pros
Free bag of dog food each month
Cons
Never assisted in learning what was needed to move up in the company
Amazing job!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Mahtomedi, MNOctober 4, 2014
This was a wonderful job for a few years. Great management and team and I got to play with animals all day!!!!
Great work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 8, 2013
Help customers find the best food for there pets include research of some brands place orders cashiering. I learned a lot about all pet food brands went through lots of training. Management is great and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customers needs and there pets.
Pros
lots of company events and training
Cons
short breaks
Fun work environment but difficult to advance
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNJanuary 3, 2013
Fun work environment which is customer service based. Training program could be more regulated between the different locations with the help of a corporate training program which currently doesn't exist. I have learned lots of great information in regards to pet nutrition and products and it is necessary to know to help customers but with the amount you need to know they really should pay more. I have been with the company for 3 years but don't see the opportunity for promotion in the near future. They do promote some individuals and say they like to strive to promote internally but I am looking for another job because I can't live off of what they pay team members even with full time hours. Great flexibility with scheduling during school and that is why I have stayed so long.
Pros
free bag of pet food a month, flexible scheduling, and fun educational environment
Cons
hard to get promoted, doesn't pay enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chuck & Don's Pet Food & Supplies. Our community is ready to answer.

Chuck & Don's Pet Food & Supplies Reviews by Location