CHURCHILL DOWNS Employee Reviews

Turf Club Employee
Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 5, 2017
Very stressful during Derby but that is usually the only peak season. Other than that, work is slow paced, overstaffed and minor tasks to keep employees occupied.
Pros
free lunches
Fairly good
Maintance (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 1, 2017
The workplace culture was very direct and employees knew their roles. The individuals within the work place were willing to help. The folks at Churchill downs did not look to discriminate based off of gender, age, race ect. The work was modest.
Great Workplace
Server/Server Trainer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 16, 2017
Great seasonal job for anyone looking for a second part time job.I spent almost 6 years working here as a second part time job,great extra income.
amazing
Server / Bartender (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 29, 2016
working at churchill downs is amazing, people usually get hired during derby. If you have never been to this place before, you should really visit its a great experience.
Pros
great experience
Cons
nothing
A different day everyday
SERVER/WAITER (Current Employee) –  Churchhill downsJune 4, 2016
Enjoy meeting new people and providing good service. Very interesting place to work. Typical work day is busy, enjoy the people that I work with. Interesting place to work.

Very busy but easy place to work.
High volume money handling, highly knowledgeable of company software, work all departments as a supervisor.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Covington, LANovember 16, 2015
Team work is what makes our operation smooth. As a supervisor I work all departments in our operation to cover shifts which is required for my position
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Small staff
Fun work environment.
Assistant in suites, inventory maintenance (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 5, 2015
I worked there for many seasons and enjoy working with VIP guest and ensuring that the guest are taken care of. It is a very vibrant place to work and there is never a dull moment.
Pros
Fun and exciting
Cons
Only seasonal work
Work Summary
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 8, 2015
A typical day for me is to come in and get the job done in the best way possible and in the neatest way possible. Afterwards I will go and help others with they jobs.
advancement not certain
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 16, 2015
relieved officers from previous shift answered phones gave instructions to person entering the race track during DERBY
escorted those persons violating the rules off property
Pros
meeting people
Cons
no advancement working extended shift if not relieved
Great Plave to work
Supervisor for seasonal and private events (Current Employee) –  Louisville KYJanuary 4, 2015
The events are always changing and it keeps you on your toes. This job was great because of the clientele. Very stressful at times however the fast pace atmosphere it a great and amazing challenges.
Pros
The People
Cons
Seasonal
Productive smooth and exciting day
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 1, 2014
I enjoyed Working there. It was a Friendly place to work. Everyone pretty much got along with one another
Excellent Culture and Leadershiip
Senior Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 22, 2014
This is the best company that I've been a part of. Great work/life balance, great flexibility and a wonderful leadership team.
Pros
Flexibility, Culture, Leadership
Cons
Compensation
A great place to work
Admissions Clerk - Admissions - Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 26, 2014
On a typical day at Churchill Downs I would great consumers and sell betting items that they requested or provide information to new track members. I learned how to work in a diverse environment and how to adapt to daily changes. The management changed hands several times while I was employed, but the regular supervisors when friendly and willing to work with you. My co-workers were friendly and cooperative, but the hardest part of the job was to end a season of working with good people. The most enjoyable part was working during The Oaks and The Kentucky Derby watching the upscale consumers come in dressed to the hilt and coming out of the in-field muddy with broken high heels, a little inebriated, but still happy whether the horse the bid on won or not.
Pros
Great variety of food and job experience
Cons
Management changed hands often
Good place
Sr. Director Software Engineering (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 28, 2014
Managers are generally on top of it. They are intelligent but humble. There is overall a good work-life balance.
Pros
work-life balance, management
Cons
healthcare
Dedicated. Will give 100% to new challenge in position
Operations Manager/Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 6, 2014
Were responsible for entire operation of wagering at Churchill Downs
including servers, network, and personnel.

Oversaw 19 Kentucky Derbies from 1994 thru 2013, with no operational problems. System selling 54 tickets per second, 223 million dollars handled.
Very exciting and fun job!
A MUTUEL TELLER (Current Employee) –  700 CENTRAL AVE LOUISVILLE, KY 40208December 31, 2013
As a mutuel teller I take bets and pay out winnings.
You have to be good with money. I also like watching the horse races and working with the public. I usually only work this job the first friday and saturday of may.
Internship
Twin Spires Club, Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 22, 2013
I enjoyed my internship at Churchill Downs and was promoted to a full time job within the company.
Security
Park Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILOctober 7, 2013
It was a menial job that I had just to make money over the summer time. I am an accounting major and am really looking forward to getting some valuable experience in the field.
Pros
Cons
short breaks
good place to work
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 13, 2013
super busy at derby time, management was great but it was seasonal
Working at horse track enjoyable
exerciser (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 19, 2013
Enjoyed working at track. Have met many great people. However, would like to find a job that doesn't require me to travel to other states during racing seasons. Also looking for benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CHURCHILL DOWNS. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3