Overall it's been a good experience
Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2015
I'm on a contract for Ciber. They won a large contract and there is a large team of Ciber consultants onsite, including a Ciber FT leader. Overall, she does a good job as a leader, does not micro-manage and tries to provide the backing where needed but she is spread WAYYY too thin for what is trying to be accomplished at the client site.

Ciber has done a good job of hiring qualified / high caliber associates on our team. The back office Ciber people are good to work with and when I had an issue with something being paid on my benefits, the Ciber HR person worked hard to resolve it.

Their onboarding process is very poor however. Their website is VERY clunky, not user friendly, HUGE numbers of steps to complete that is very time consuming. There should be at least a couple of days allowed on Ciber time to complete all their required reading material, quizzes and such. Even trying to complete them on your own is challenging because of all the multiple issues with their website. Supposedly that is being revamped, but not certain.
Pros
allowed to make up time so you don't have to take vacation every time, the benefit package is actually about on par with what private companies are offering, they just added a new benefit plan that provides even better coverage, get 3 weeks of vacation although it's earned on a per month basis, so if you leave before the end of the month, you don't get any pro-rated amount
Cons
no longevity since we are consultants, poor onboarding process, vacation is accrued monthly (must work the entire month or get nothing), their ciberspace website in general is not user friendly
Ciber is a basic, low grade, staff augmentation company.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MichiganJanuary 12, 2015
Ciber client account managers are non-existant, and spend most of their time managing the constant influx of new people due to high turnover. If the client has a complaint, you'll be let go immediately, with no support from Ciber. No two week notice, no pay or medical benefits beyond your last day at work. Expensive medical benefits, and low hourly rates.

Constant stream of useless email from Ciber that you are suppose to read, and lunch and learn training sessions that are poorly organized and delivered.

Whatever rate you start at you'll be at while assigned to the client. Performance reviews are required every year, but no one at Ciber takes them seriously, as they couldn't care less about your professional growth.

The Ford Lundy Ave. office in Dearborn is a dirty workplace, with gross carpet stains, torn carpets, carpets patched with duct tape, and refrigerators that will make you gag when you open them. Building is jammed with people, and the bathrooms are disgustingly dirty. Bring your own toilet paper! Food service at Lundy Ave is by Aramark, and it's awful. Best advice is to bring your lunch.

The only positive thing it say is that you certainly won't have much to do if assigned to the Ford Dearborn Account. Most people spend their days walking the halls, taking extended lunches, and hiding out in one of the many conference rooms.
Pros
very easy days, my job that kept me busy about 8 hours a week, but it sure made for a long work week.
Cons
no support from ciber client account reps, can be fired instantly with pay and benefits ending immediately.
Good place to get started, but bad place to stay
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 28, 2012
Worked for Ciber Inc for 3 years.

First 6 months went well, then the company reduced pay for everyone in IT by 10%. During the announcement, they stated if we discuss it with our co-workers, we could be terminated. (Which a threat like that is illegal). They said they were going to return it back to normal after 3 months. 3 months came and went, only 5% was returned back (no back pay though). They stated the other 5% would be returned beginning of 2010. That didn't happen and no one said anything and basically hid the truth from the staff. The president of the division changed and so did the CFO (both with umbrella packages).

I complained to my manager, his manager, and then finally the CEO and basically it trickled back down and the VP of the division said "forget about seeing that back pay or that other 5%... ever".

Management is a joke... they're nice.. but don't have a clue how to manage staff or even inspire them. People work there because management keeps them in fear of losing their jobs. I parted ways and
Pros
decent starting pay, flexible scheduling at times.
Cons
management a joke, executive management are thieves.

Comment – August 13, 2012

I was thaere for that paycut special as well. No chance for raise or advancement, apparently because the company has done some math and decided the average analyst only lasts for two year and leaves anyway, so why give them a raise? They also recruit from outside the company to fill supervisor or management positions even if there are overqualified people in the deparment.

Not best vendor
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 29, 2013
This temp agency (vendor) prided itself on being "No.1 in outsourcing". They actually sent out a newsletter to my business email with that in the header. While the corporation I was at was negotiating a labor contract. Wow, classy!

Their HR reps were snobby, uninformed, preening and greedy. I'm not sure what their commissions were but I bet it was A LOT more than, say Volt Staffing, TEK, or similar. Half of them drove Porches and Mercedes.

I got zero paid time off even after a year. No sick leave, no paid vacations, nada. The medical insurance -- wow, I wish I had NOT gotten it. It was over $500 month and it paid for nothing. The insurance company fought me on every little thing.

They had a rep for never offering raises, refusing to do annual employee evaluations, etc.

And they weren't above calling me at work on my company cell phone to ask me for the secure email addresses of the various project mgrs in my dept. Again, classy!
Pros
it was a job
Cons
bad health benefits, zero paid time off, sub-par pay rate

Comment – July 1, 2013

Did you work as a consultant (temp) or a full time employee? Reason I ask is it looks like they offer some vacation for full time employees and ofcourse bad benefits. I was looking around and came across a job here at ciber for a manager position.

NOC Technician :
Senior NOC Tech and Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 26, 2015
- Performs monitoring and first and second–level troubleshooting of the Banks LAN and Global communications networks.
- Collaborate with the Link Managers and engineers for Global communication problems by opening Incident and/or Problem tickets for follow-up and prompt action.
- Monitor and ensuring the successful connection of Video conference sessions based on the daily schedule. Responds to client requests for changing rooms and connection status
- Coordinate with Vendor and Link Managers on scheduled Preventive Maintenance for Country Offices Satellite and power equipment
- Provided support in frequency change and net work upgrading of Satellite projects
- Performed Video and Audio connectivity test with Non Bank Site
- Prepared monthly and quarterly video activity reports and published on NOC web page
No committment to employees, poor benefits
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 4, 2013
Ciber had the sales department managing the consultants. Sales are sales and not managers for a reason. The corporate mission is to sell consulting services as IT experts (like the big 6), but in reality consultants are sold as staff augmentation. They really don't have the sales expertise to sell consulting services, only staff augmentation. Sales needs to do a better job selling the services of CIBER as more than just a contracting house. If your contract ends, they do try to find another contract for you, but if not, you are let go.

The Michigan office is the largest in the nation, but it has the worst health, dental and vision insurance. You are stuck with an HMO.
Pros
free professional training from ciber, co-workers are professionals
Cons
poor health insurance package, poor sales force, management needs to practice what it preaches
Great place to work at World Bank
Telecommunications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 1, 2013
Analyze service order requests for accuracy and system compliance and perform programming of the DMS-100 telephone switch for moves, adds and changes in response to these requests perform programming of the Octel, Call Pilot, and faxmail messaging systems perform programming of the various ACD call distribution systems design and implement call distribution and voice messaging applications update, quality control and ensure data integrity of the Telecommunications Asset Management Database (TAMS) monitor the above systems for proper operation and assist in trouble-reporting and resolution efforts monitor the above systems for capacity and assist in capacity planning and system upgrades provide technical guidance to TS Telecom Analysts prepare standard and ad-hoc reports
Good overall consulting service
Senior Programming Consultant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 13, 2015
- My assignment at Ciber was at NationsBank that became Bank of America. I learned the processes required to function at NationsBank as a developer, becoming an associate at Bank of America in 2000.

- Several Ciber employees were assigned to the same location and contributed to assisting each other with succeeding.

- Hardest part of the job was that the Ciber employees had to always prove their worth to the NationsBank employees.

- The most enjoyable part of the job was proving that we could perform well under pressure and provide a quality product.
Pros
Provided an opportunity to expand my knowledge base and experience.
Cons
Company was very focused on the bottom line income, did not consider the employee's needs beyond their limited scope.
Project Coordinator & Business Analyst flexible environment
Project Coordinator - Financial Banking Entity (Former Employee) –  Hawaii, Tucson, and PhoenixJuly 22, 2014
Project Lead/Coordinator/BA: worked as a contractor worked on mid-size projects that varied in assignment such as technical support, QA specialist, and business analyst type work. Learned new things every day and met people with great knowledge. Worked with higher, mid-management, technical resources and direct customers. The hardest part of the job was working with tight project deadlines and ensuring communication was at a level of understanding. The most enjoyable was the working environment was flexible and fun meeting people who worked hard; team working environment.
Pros
meeting people and learning new systems and management styles
Cons
adapt to global time zones and long hours
Very very poor Company
SQL Server DBA (Former Employee) –  MIJune 6, 2012
I can't give even ONE STAR.
Ciber tries to keep more than 70% billing rate at the client place. If you are desperate to take offer, they squeeze more.
No value to the contractors, they treat like a slaves.
No Job security, can fire at any time.
Very poor management, un-professional work place.

I don't know why other reviewers are saying Ciber is good company. I guess Ciber itself making good reviews.

If you work for one time then you know how worst this company is....
This kind of companies shouldn't exists in this economy I'll celebrate if this company declare Bankrupt.
Pros
they give free lunch one time in a year
Cons
ciber tries to keep more than 70% billing rate at the client place, if you are desperate to take offer, they squeeze more.

Comment – June 29, 2012

I concur with you, similar very bad experience. A Sr. Recruiter asked me for a time to talk to him, and never called me back on providing a day and time. On top of it, when I called him to check if we wanted to reschedule, he told me he will call me back and let me know in an hour. But never returned the call. Extremely unprofessional company!

Want to know more about CIBER?

Ask a question
Monitoring the surrounding areas
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJuly 15, 2012
The job seemed very intuitive because of constant monitoring under uncleared personnel in the cleared building. The day at work is mostly making sure that none of the uncleared personnel strayed away from their duties. I learned to be more assertiveness and patience on the job. I didn't have that many co-workers but I couldn't really socialize in this particular job. The hardest part is making sure the uncleared personnel has everything with them and the long hours. The good part about the job is that you learn to work hands on but also have the patience for the uncleared personnel and teaches you how to have strong presence around people.
Pros
have breaks
Cons
no benefits
Unsupportive and Dishonest
Sr. Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 15, 2012
Was hired for an engagement with a major client in insurance. The client had lots of unreasonable demands and constantly tried to make us look bad. There was also an off-shore contractor doing their best to undercut us. The company didn't do much to defend us, even though it might have been in their best interests to do so.

The lead sales rep for the account came to our location and told us that the client was happy and that everyone was going to continue working through the next year. Two or three days later they fired two people. I was out of there soon afterward.
Pros
i wasn't unemployed, some of my co-workers were nice
Cons
dishonest management

Comment – May 24, 2012

I have applied many times with this company, but it never went beyond the application. They must have black listed me.

Comment – June 6, 2012

I run into the same situation at Ciber client place in WI. Ciber sales rep promised us project can go for 4 to 5 years. but it ended in a month time. They didn't provide any reallocation expenses or short time accommodation. Since the project is long I did spend all those expenses i.e $3000 from my pocket. Client likes my technical strengths but they don't want to keep any resource from Ciber.

Worst managment
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 5, 2013
Never seen a company hire so many and such inept managers who are only able to shuffle papers. Management too interested in the customer which allow massive scope creep which managers then blame on the programmers. No need to go into communications ability because they don't have any.

The one thing to remember is that it will never be a managers fault because it's yours no matter how much you can prove otherwise. The brought in several vendor representatives to hang a managers screw up on me and the vendors blamed the manager. The next day my contract was not renewed.
Pros
it's a paycheck, usually skilled co-workers
Cons
really poor management
Worked as an external employee to State Farm
Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 9, 2012
This job was very challenging but the job was also a learning experience. My contract was renewed 5 times before the work slowed down. Each employee, both internal and external worked well together to accomplish the business goals. We worked with agents throughout the United States to make sure that their software and hardware worked properly. We also tested new software before sending it out to the agent's computer systems. I enjoyed working with others (employees and agents) and the satisfaction that we were able to keep the agents working smoothly through helpdesk type fixes.
Disorganized and No Goals
Senior Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 18, 2014
People are not sure who my boss is or what I should be doing. This is no surprise since I have not received one review when I should have gotten a mid-year, an annual and another mid-year by now. I did not set goals and did not get any expectations when I started or at the beginning of the year. Ironically, on every corporate phone call they emphasize having goals, expectations and feedback mechanisms on performance. Also, you get 15 days off total. Most companies start with at least 20.
Pros
different clients keep things interesting
Cons
disorganized, no performance plans or reviews
Horrible Experience
Sr. Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  MicrosoftAugust 3, 2012
I've struggled over this experience ever since leaving; not really knowing if there was something I did or if they are just really a mess.
Even after asking over and over, I was told there was nothing I did. Therefore, they are a mess. Communication skills and interpersonal relationship skills are non-existent. I seriously doubt they know what the client needs and wants, and I really question whether they know what they want when recruiting people.
Pros
ziltch! i seriously could not think of one thing i liked about them
Cons
communication and interpersonal relationship
Good place to work for awhile.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 13, 2012
Make sure you get the pay and title you want when you get in because chances for advancement are slim. Most position changes are lateral in nature and include more duties without a pay rate change.

The company is committed to bringing thier procedures for technical support into compliance for providers. The helpdesk branch of the company has a good bunch of leaders but not enough money to develop the kind of world wide excellence capability, but are improving steadily anyway.
Pros
flexible schedule and wfh. good leadership team.
Cons
no chance for raise in pay.
Don't work for this company
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wherever they sent meDecember 17, 2012
This company doesn't care about their consultants. They only care about getting a warm body for their projects. HR department is horrible and non professional. The project management are rude and cut throat when it comes to working on the projects themselves instead of managing them. Came across a PM that used profanity on the client side. Totally unprofessional. So beware of accepting a position with this company... You'll be out of a job within a year.
Pros
having a job for a while
Cons
project management, hr depr and lack of caring for their employees.

Comment – December 20, 2012

Very stingy company, to say the least. The salary compensation is the lowest I have seen in the SAP industry. The benefits package is also average. All the company cares about is revenue. Even the middle-management doesn't recommend higher salaries for the consultants.

East Coast vs. West Coast
Project Manager at Microsoft (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJuly 25, 2013
Ciber was a great company! They had the feel of a family, they gave bonuses to all employees; referral bonuses, yearly bonus, and business bonus. The benefits were average for the type of business and the managers were awesome. Then the East coast office became HQ and East coast exec's began making business decisions based on their culture rather than listening to their west coast managers. Sad to say, Ciber lost most of their contracts with a large company head quartered in Puget Sound. Lose of contracts equals lay-offs.
The Best Consultancy You've Probably Never Heard Of
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 16, 2014
Ciber, Inc. is a spectacular organization and this is in comparison to the likes of IBM, Deloitte Consulting and Hewlett-Packard - all of who I have worked for. If you are looking for excellent leadership, a great work experience, terrific compensation and lots of tools for learning and growth then Ciber is the company to work with. Only the best work at Ciber.
Pros
the company heavily invests in learning, after hour opportunities for fun and networking, strong support from leadership and team mates