Ciena Corporation Employee Reviews

Magnifique place to work.
Senior Optical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MD 21090February 10, 2016
High quality of people, very good professional and worker oriented. They take care of people!
It was a very good time to work for this company. The atmosphere very serious, the technologies state of art, the benefits perfect, Everybody received bonus at every quarter.
It was real a pleasure to work here.
Pros
Everything is pro.
Cons
Nothing.
Productive work with good co-workers.
Team Leader/Technician (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDDecember 10, 2015
Setting up OME 6500 optical networks, testing and troubleshooting. There are always opportunities to learn something new about the product. Co-workers are knowledgeable and easy to get along with. Management understands the time it takes to complete the task correctly and are easy to work with as well.
Productive and friendly working place
Technician III (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDNovember 12, 2015
The most enjoyed part of the job at Ciena was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. It's fun work place with supportive management. I worked with a wide variety of telecommunication modules. I upgraded software and firmware of modules per instructions in Agile and configured the same modules for return to customers.
Pros
Great environment and friendly people
Cons
Healthcare
Good company to work for
Accounts Receivable Invoicing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDOctober 22, 2015
Overall great place to work, modern facility, great coworkers, good benefits, good pay. You really feel like you are doing meaningful work and the working atmosphere is wonderful. Only con would be that not enough positions are posted in case one wants to apply for another position within the company
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Modern state-of-the-art office building, management
Cons
not enough opportunity to advance or change positions
Poor, Confused Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDMay 22, 2015
Employees are subject to arbitrary and insensitive treatment.
There is no demonstrable value placed on employee development, retention, or general well-being.
Reductions in force and reorgs are used to keep costs down and cover up poor decisions and leadership.
Pros
Comp and Bene pkg not bad.
Cons
Depressing work atmosphere
fun and productive place to work
Junior Planner (Current Employee) –  Savage, MDMarch 23, 2015
fun and productive place to work very accommodating when it comes to family and working.
Nice picnics for company and very pleasant co workers that are team players.
Not Standard IT, poor direction of, complete control to; offshores
Lead, IT Applications (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDFebruary 28, 2015
If you want a job, you get it. The job will be making sure you let offshores do what they want to, maintain what's bad without comment, and approve even when you feel the lack of quality. You get paid. Lots of people who just want to just get into IT somehow, yes there is some small talented crowd, some teams good. These tho' get stuck with such industry novices. Quite some unprofessional managers who have been here long, and think they own the company, and can do as they please.

So if you have some good experience, you have much better options than here. Don't get your career offtrack, by joining here.
Pros
Pay, Flexibility, Overall company, neat office grounds
Cons
Offshore hub, bad middle managers, grapevine, favoritism, brick bat politics
Results oriented fast paced place to work
Global Training Lead (Current Employee) –  Hanoveer, MDFebruary 4, 2015
The company has a solid product and is always looking for ways to support customer networks through innovation. Workplace fosters communications and inclusion.
CIENA Corp
Cross dock driver/forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDFebruary 3, 2015
load truck for deliveries to warehouse, make deliveries of customer product to warehouse for shipment

management was always approachable

co-workers were easy to work with

hardest part of the job was dealing with other people's stress management

most enjoyable part of this job was driving a truck
Pros
easy work schedules and plenty of over-time
Cons
getting laid off
Going Downhill
Technician (Current Employee) –  MDFebruary 2, 2015
Executive level personnel appear to overspend on themselves, then try to compensate for it by implementing inefficient processes that will obviously cost them even more in the long run. Not exactly surprising since most of the executives are from Nortel where they did the same thing.
Pros
competitive vacation time
Cons
everything else
Good work environment
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDDecember 9, 2014
My career at Ciena lasted 14 years. It was a great place to work. It was close to home and I met a lot of dedicated people. I enhanced my Customer Service skills through interaction with colleagues around the world. I worked for Managers who were supportive and enabled me to grow, taking on additional responsibilities. Together, we worked tirelessly to help Ciena evolve into the successful, global company it has become. I managed the out of warranty material, billing between 800k and 1.2 million per quarter. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of working for Ciena was the relationships that were built with my co-workers, who became friends. They are a great group of people who made an impact on me.
Pros
Great working environment
Good working environment
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDNovember 4, 2014
Review, negotiate and structure Vendor agreements. Prepare responses to RFP, RFQ and RFI. Review and prepare customer agreements.
Pros
Free parking
Managed into failure
Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 9, 2014
The San Jose and Spokane divisions of the company have released three consecutive failed products, subsidized by the company's optical division. Each has been done on the cheap, with an emphasis on time to market, before gathering realistic requirements or identifying the means to achieve them. The follow through has been an endless churn to correct surface defects without resolving fundamental problems.
Pros
TGIF food and beer
Cons
Loud open cubes
Ciena Corp
Administrative Assistant, Operations Team (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJuly 10, 2014
One of the greatest companies I have ever worked for.

I left Ciena since I was accepted to Johns Hopkins School of Radiology. It was a very tough decision since I loved my job.
Pros
Quarterly Bonus
Good place to work.
Collections Specialist - Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  linthicum, Maryland``April 30, 2014
Good company to work for. This was a temp. position. Large company will friendly people.
Pros
Nice people
A typical data at work
Sr. Oracle Technical Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDMarch 10, 2014
I find that working for Ciena allows individuals to grow in various areas within the company
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Short breaks
Lead Oracle Apps Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDFebruary 12, 2014
• Around 10 years of Total IT experience, including 8+ Years of working experience in Oracle Application E-Business Suite Versions R12/11i in multiple Oracle Application projects.
• Experience with underlying data model of GL, AP, AR, INV, PO, OM, MRP, HRMS and AOL.
• Extensive working knowledge in Analysis, Design, Development, Documentation and Deployment.
• Involved in implementation, Upgrade and Support of Oracle Applications E-Business Suite using SQL, PL/SQL, Developer Suite 10g, with hands-on experience of various RICE components and Workflow.
• Hands on development of interfaces, Inbound and Outbound Conversions and used standard API’s. Expertise in development of Extensions to add additional validations and functionality to seeded oracle processes to meet the client's requirements.
• Technically proficient in writing Procedures, Packages, Functions, Triggers, views, records, constraints, synonyms, indexes and other database objects using SQL and PL/SQL for validating the data loads
• Experience managing technical quality deliverable/ resource/schedule/risks throughout the project, working extensively under onsite-offshore model using AIM Methodology.
• Good knowledge of System Administration with hands on experience in creating Users, Responsibilities, Request Groups, Menus, registering concurrent programs, defining Value sets and Descriptive Flex fields.
• Good knowledge of UNIX shell-scripting.
• Good knowledge working with version control tools
• Strong analytical, interpersonal and troubleshooting skills and ability to work in a fast-paced and team-oriented
  more... environment.. Extensive experience in maintaining development plan, tasks allocation, task monitoring, establishing/monitoring quality process, study/audit of existing business process and preparation of issue logs, requirement gathering, user interaction, gap analysis, technical data mapping and analysis  less
Sr software enginer
Sr Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  marylandJanuary 12, 2014
day-today activies involves programming in c on linux platform
Good conmpany to work for.
Lead Installer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GaSeptember 13, 2013
I was with an install team that cleaned up quality issues.
enjoyed my time with them but the installation crews were let go so I went back to Alta.
One of the best companies I started my career with
Electronic Calibration Technician (Former Employee) –  Savage, MarylandAugust 1, 2013
Started my career with Ciena was blast and only company budgets was the only drawbacks. But overall great experience and education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ciena Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.