Cincinnati Bell Employee Reviews

A workplace with a lot of grey areas in all aspects of the buisness
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 22, 2016
Typical day involves direct reports and time sheets, along with several other reports due every morning.
- Answering and assisting all direct reports with anything they may need to accomplish the job at hand anytime of day/night.
-Field inspections, coaching technicians, on boarding and teaching new technicians.
-Patience is a true virtue.
-Management is afraid of change and is not receptive to new ideas and out of the box thinking. (it's the way we have always done it why change it) mentality.
-Hardest part of job is not being able to assist my Technicians and make their job easier with out getting backlash from management.
-Most enjoyable part of my job- My Technicians.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Cost of health care, retirement package
Intense outside sales experience.
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 25, 2016
-Patience is a true virtue.
-Most enjoyable part of my job- My Technicians.
Good Place to Work
FiOps Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Norwood, OHDecember 6, 2015
Great place to have a career until you realize that the Union you are required to join has no desire to help the employee's they are paid to represent.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Unionized
Great place to work, value their employees
Telecommunications Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 31, 2016
Great place to work, friendly work place, take care of their employees. I learned to work with Virtual Hold and Verint call recording systems. The work place was friendly and relaxing.
Ok place to work...
Wireless Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 11, 2013
Cincinnati Bell is an "OK" company to work for. Depending on what your title is and what department you are in you can have a successful career within the company. There is always room to grow they post jobs all the time on the inter-company job poster. In the sales division there is a lot of turn-over typical to most sales jobs. I do feel they are headed in the wrong direction and the small "phone company" cannot compete with the competition.
Pros
excellent benefits, good pay.
Cons
upper management doesn't seem to care about to employees who do the grunt work and keep them afloat
Poor Customer Service/Little Concern for Employees
Subject Matter Expert/Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 7, 2015
I've worked for Cincinnati Bell for two years now. Within three months of my initial date of hire I was offered a full-time position as a Communications Consultant. After six months of working as a full-time consultant I was promoted to Retail Auditor and Subject Matter Expert. Shortly thereafter, my position title was changed to Account Manager. Although I was able to rise within the ranks of the company based upon my monthly performance, my ability to think on my feet, and my ability to retain product knowledge in order to effectively execute day to day challenges, I was extremely dissatisfied with the companies policies, procedures, ever changing compensation plans, and poor customer service. While working in retail, I'd often hear from those who held high positions in the company that retail was the driving force behind the company and that there would be no Cincinnati Bell without the retail represetatives; however, the company sets ridiculous goals for consultants to meet and those goals are upheld by unfair and poorly structured compensation plans that penalizes the consultants by docking their pay for mistakes that belongs to the company (for example: you must sell 20 cable services, 30 internet services, and 15 home phone services within the course of one month. If the customer decides to cancel service within three months of it being activated/installed, the company subtracts the money that the consultant made from those sales out of his current paycheck. Whenever a customer decides to cancel service, it is typically because the service will not work at their residence,  more... the equipment is defective, the billing is outrageous and constantly changing, and/or the customer service is poor). Furthermore, retail is the only entity of the company that is not represented by the union. Retail locations are refused holidays off (with the exception of Christmas and Thanksgiving) although all other extensions of the company is granted every holiday off. Those who hold positions in management are under the impression that being a manager means micro-managing others by watching the cameras for their entire shift and pushing their work off on communications consultants. Customer service is supposedly an enormous part of Cincinnati Bell, but the company is more-so focused on revenue than customer satisfaction. Lunch breaks are 30 minutes long so you must bring your lunch with you or run the risk of correctional action if you return one minute late. Communications Consultants are also forced to attend mandatory meetings at any given location by 7:30am even on off/vacation days. Coworkers and employees alike tend to be respectful and plesant but are often extremely uptight because they are constantly reminded with threats that one small mistake could possibly cause them to lose their job. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was being able to be the voice for communications consultants, providing direct interaction with them, and lightening the loads they face on the day-to-day basis. I also enjoyed knowing that I was able to be of assistance to customers when they felt that they were not getting the best treatment from other managers or call centers. Although the description for the position that I was initially hired for was not at all the duties that I had to perform, I learned to do what was neccesary and required of me in order to move on to positions that I could possibly be happy with. That is the only way to sustain in the company. Unfortunately, after two years there isn't much that has improved and I currently feel complacent and growth within the company seems intangible. The likelihood that I'd refer someone to work at Cincinnati Bell is slim to none because unless you hold a management position or work in an area outside of retail, the turnover rate is pretty high and theres a great chance that this is not a job for someone who is seeking longevity.  less
Cons
Breaks, comp plans, other polices and procedures.
The coworkers and benefits were amazing!!
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Norwood, OHMay 11, 2012
Cincinnati Bell was a great place to work for at one time. In a typical day I would take inbound customer service calls and try to turn them into a sales call once the issue had been resolved. My management team was there to help coach me into being the best that I could be. My co-workers were amazing and we all worked together to see that our team succeeded. The hardest part of the job was the long hours, but this was also the most enjoyable part of the job due to the paycheck! I really enjoyed helping customers enhance their services and save money at the same time!
Pros
contests, free lunches, launch parties
Cons
Uncertain and political with a heavy dose of overwork & under appreciation
Director (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati OhioJune 20, 2013
Bell is consistently asking the dedicated 'worker bees' to sacrifice and pay a price while VPs and above are the small group to reap excessive benefits. Organization is silo in nature, teams protect their turf lending to a lack of productivity and recent efforts 2012-2013 to redefine the workplace culture with Mission Statements and Values have been 'talk with little traction'.

After years and years serving at Bell, I sincerely worked and wished for so much more... disappointing.
A great hometown company with big dreams
Communications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 19, 2015
Cincinnati Bell has a long history of being one of the best companies to work for in Cincinnati. They are a local telecom company that has proven to have a lasting impact in the Cincinnati/ Tri-state area providing its local service area with service and entertainment needs. Their business acquisitions and dealings have attracted national attention and they have adapted to the ever changing telecom market quickly and efficiently.

Cincinnati Bell employees all feel like part of a family and all levels of employees from entry level to our CEO interact regularly. I feel connected to upper management and feel we all have the same goals.

I have learned customer service skills the most including, how to better handle and serve customers and take care of them. I have learned how to sell better and how to better deescalate customers who have had a bad experience and turn them back into a returning, profitable customer.

Cincinnati Bell compensates well and has a fairly generous commission structure. The company provided benefits are also more then enough for any family. Cincinnati Bell takes care of its own.
Pros
hometown feel, small company, management close
Cons
outsourced customer care, product improvements needed
Last place you would ever want to work!
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 21, 2015
No matter how hard you work or how much you sell, it is never enough. Got kids running the ship that know absolutely nothing about the business. As one other person said, alcohol and hanky panky (keeping it clean) was common. After it was all said and done, me and 160 plus of my closest friends, we're better off getting outsourced and apologize to all those customers who had to deal with the inexperience.
Pros
great work mates, pay was decent
Cons
management!
Good pay
Communications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 3, 2013
Cincinnati Bell has been around for years, and has had its ups and downs. Currently, it seems to be in a down mood with many customers starting to lose hope. Working with the general public, you are bound to have customers who do not necessarily like you, but truth of the matter is that Cincinnati Bell is currently working very hard on taking every chance to improve their Fioptics network. It is a new technology, and there are going to be times where everything does not work, but today's society wants results now, and will not wait for everything to be perfect. I like my job with Cincinnati Bell, and they treat us very well, but with the pay structure there are ways to excel, but if you do not excel Cincinnati Bell will not hesitate to terminate you. Not even for one second.
Pros
good pay, decent hours, good company
Cons
no job security, constantly changing
Dysfunctional and Disorganized
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 8, 2014
Products are having trouble, management unable to cope. Job seems insecure based on moves the company has made. Not paid commissions based on reports that are incorrect and systems which cannot be accessed by sales force. Long hours and very stressful.
Pros
non
Cons
all
Not a positive place to work.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHApril 9, 2014
Upper management ruled by intimidation and fear. Language was offensive. Management didn't know processes and didn't want to know how -- just do it. Job performance was handled in the open and demeaned the person and upset others. Management style was lacking people skills, understanding and offering proper learning and development. Drinking on company time in the office was common place on Friday's and during Corporate Management meetings. My co-workers struggled through each day and were very stressed. Some cried, some were angry and left to smoke or sit in their cars for a while. The only enjoyable part was 5:00 p.m. and treats that people made and brought in to share.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
almost everthing
How I felt at Cincinnati Bell
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 24, 2013
When I first applied it was passed off a customer service job, but it turned out to be more a sales job. I pretty much had to convince customers to keep products they no longer wanted or could afford to keep. I really didn't like that part of the job. The hardest part was convincing customers to keep what they said they could not afford. It was hard not only because I had to finds ways to convince them, but also because it really didn't sit well with me. In some ways depending on what product they kept it truly did save them money, but for the majority that was not the case. Even still the most enjoyable part was again hanging up the phone with a satisfied customer and making the sale, sales were pushed so hard it really didn't seem too much about satisfying the customer. To me that's sad. My co-workers were nice and very helpful.
Pros
benefits & starting pay rate
Cons
more of a sales environment than custome service environment
Cincinnati Bell
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 8, 2013
This is a good company to work for. They have good compensation and a diverse staff. Only thing that could be worked on is the career advancement and keeping jobs here in the U.S.
Great Company
Central Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYNovember 21, 2014
I learned a lot from this position at Cincinnati Bell, learned leadership skills and how to work on my own without supervision. Handle several accounts for customers and large businesses. Assisted Field Technicians that worked outside that needed help with in the Central Offices.

It was a lot of interesting things about this job and loved working with everyone.
Best thing was being busy throughout the day, running orders and running several buildings.
Pros
pay was really good
Cons
job security
Faltering situation
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 18, 2012
Products are having trouble, management unable to cope. Job seems insecure based on moves the company has made. Long hours and very stressful.
Pros
potential related to effort
Cons
company disfunction
Lots of Overtime was required
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 20, 2012
Worked with a great bunch of people...there was never a typical day due to things always changing which kept things interesting...I learned a lot about home and business security systems...hardest part of the job was some of the very long hours (ex. 14 hour days)...the most enjoyable part of the job was when I was helping someone with their security system that didn't know how it worked.
Pros
a supervisor that brought us brunch on christmas day
Cons
i perfer not to say
Competitive organization that is community minded and results driven
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 20, 2014
Define product strategies.
Collaborate with other internal organizations to ensure unity of purpose.
Ensure product forecasts are delivering as planned and adjust course as necessary.
Work with Finance Department to ensure financial trends are on track.
Retain and attract and motivate quality personnel.
Pros
fair compensation and work/home life balance
Cons
limited product investment resources
My Manager was one of the hardest working woman in that company and was a role model for the company!!!! Hat off to you NH :)
CSR (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiJuly 5, 2012
I worked usually 8 no 10 hrs a day for the first 6 to 8 mnths about 10 mnths into my experience as a employee of CB I became sick, I was under Drs care! Not trying to take advantage of the system they had , did everything I was supposed to do and ask to do during my time off under Drs care. I was let go from the company! It took me 8 mnths to finally prove that I was wrongfully fired! I cant believe the way the company treated me! They followed me! They watched my house, (undercover) even climb my neighbors trees to try to take pictures of me doing something wrong..... They had undercover sit outside of my home for weeks hours per day! I have never felt so betrayed in my life! I will never forget the experience! I am honestly glad I am no longer an employee for a company that would treat their employees the way they treated me! Not to mention - keep in mind- entry level pay for a new employee is half of what the employees make that have been there . (senority) So you are doing the same job as your neighbor and they are making double what you do! No Thanks!
Pros
a free pastry or a free meal for a holiday! or if you met your quota!
Cons
reference above!

2.8