Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Cincinnati Children's Hospital Employer Reviews

A wonderful place to work. There is a common goal of providing the high services to the patient at all times.
Protective Services Officer (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: the highest standard of professionalism
Cons: the weekly rotating off days
-There was no typical day only some routine actives to be conduced throughout the shift for safety purposes .
-Providing excellent customer service to a wide range of diversity is something I learned that was essential to the job.
-Management would engage interests in all levels of daily actives assisting at any point needed for reference. The support – more... was well received due to the sensitive nature of circumstances.
-The positive and encouraging atmosphere enlisted the services of some of the best co-works that anyone could ask for. This was evident throughout the entire hospital and not limited to a particular department.
-The condition of the patient was the hardest part of the job.
-I enjoyed a lot of aspects of the job but my favorite part was making new connects with patients, parents, guests, visitors and hospital staff. I truly enjoyed providing the services and assistants to those who needed it. – less
Excellent pediatric hosptial
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 17, 2014
Ranked 3rd in the country. Very nice hospital. Very nice work environment
Provides a learning environment for willing Employees
OR Scheduler (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 12, 2014
The hardest part of working at CCHMC is seeing the families that are trying to understand why their child is sick. They are scared and just want someone to help and listen
I learnt a lot here.
Analyst 1-Price estimation and recovery unit (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: great environment!
Cons: they closed :(
I loved working here. Great people. Management was like family.
Challenging place to work but very rewarding
Social Worker II/Transition Coordinator (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 1, 2014
Tough job but it has been one of the best jobs that I have had and really felt that I made strides.
Bright and Ambitious Person
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHAugust 11, 2014
As a bright ambitious person, I enjoy working in a fast paced, highly motivating position where I can assist others while challenging and expanding my knowledge and understanding of the task at hand. I am seeking a position that will utilize my skills and allow me the opportunity to gain additional skills and experience.
Childrens care is *1
Materials Management Clerk (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHAugust 9, 2014
Pros: helps alot of children/tuition reinbursement
Cons: political/no advancement
Its a great hospital for the children and hands down the best for medical services.
Political
Respiratory Specialist (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHAugust 4, 2014
Pros: pension
Cons: culture
Very political environment that is difficult to navigate. Prefers younger personnel without family life
Working with the families
Family Financial Advocate (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 23, 2014
Pros: tutition re-imbursement
I enjoy working with the families because it bring diversity to the culture of Cincinnati Children's Hospital.
Great working environment
Cytogentics Tech II (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 22, 2014
 Perform chromosomal evaluations on clinical samples including: bone marrow, amniotic fluid, lymphnode tumors, solid tumors, paraffin embedded tissues, peripheral blood, CSF, and sorted cells. The analysis is done through microscopy and karyotyping the chromosomes through CYTOVision program.
 Preparing the next day lab by culturing and harvesting – more... the above cultures.
 Preparing slides for flouresence in-situ hybridization testing. Evaluating F.I.S.H. slides to interpret signal patterns.
 Constructing and filing patient files for the samples that come into the laboratory.
 Analyzing the harvested cells for chromosomal deletions, translocations, additions, trisomies, monosomies, and other hematological disorders. – less
Good Place to Work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 8, 2014
Worked for a good manager and team. CCHMC is a good place and organization to work for. Very inclusive culture
Certain departments are much better than others
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 2, 2014
Pros: competitive pay
Cons: 30 minute lunch breaks
A typical day at work would be supporting the Nurses and Physicians by preparing the necessary paperwork and chart prep. Scheduling patients making follow phone calls to our patients. Print prescriptions. Registered clients verified insurance.

The hardest part of the job is rescheduling patients from their original appointments. The parents would be – more... very upset. – less
excellent place of employment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 6, 2014
This was an excellent place of work, communication between the manager, physicians and staff was great. It was like a great big family. Very diversified. There were not any hard parts of my job, I love what I do therefore everything I did there was enjoyablre.
Fast Paced job
Emergency Service Representative (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 5, 2014
I currently work at Children's hospital in the emergency department and it is a fast paced job. You need to be well organized, able to multi-task and pay attention to detail. You have to be outgoing and willing to communicate with multiple types of personalities on a daily basis. Great place to work.
CCHMC has a rich culture of diversity and inclusion. This works well for the patients and families who come from around the world
Program Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 29, 2014
Cincinnati Children's Hospital is rated as one of the best in the country. The quality of care is top rated because the employees are focused on the children. It takes a special sensibility to work with children who are ill, and CCHMC staff undeniably have that quality.
Hospital takes care of its employees
Research Assistant III (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 26, 2014
The hospital takes good care of its employees; I wouldn't leave if my PI hadn't taken a position at another institution. Great benefits and a culture of care for employees AND patients. I love it here.
seeing to the needs of the doctors, office personal,etc
Clerk II (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 22, 2014
Pros: being able to meet some of the children's they helped, seeing it grow
Pulling charts for clinic, same day surgery, er, research. Shift leader assigning work for team.
Great and fun place to work at
Application Developer (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 3, 2014
Pros: nice interaction with uc
Cons: no room for advancement
Roles & Responsibilities

 Wrote code for middleware enhancements to the i2b2 using Java Web Services created within Apache Axis and Axis 2 Frameworks.
 Wrote code for front-end enhancements to the i2b2 using the RichFaces Framework.
 Wrote code for front-end enhancements to the Consent Management System using the RichFaces Framework and Hibernate.
 – more... Developed web forms using XFORMS and ODM technologies for the following registries developed at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital: Liver and Eosinophilic GastroIntestinal Disorders,
 Prototyped and Developed several enhancements to the ImproveCareNow registry.
 Developed HTM/CSS-based reports using the open source Java-based BIRT framework.
 Set up Eclipse/Tomcat/JBOSS environments for development and testing for i2b2.
 Used WSDL and XSD files to describe the Web Services and their content.
 Used Apache Axis and Axis 2 APIs to support the creation and processing of SOAP and REST messages, maintenance of user sessions, and management of valid operations provided by the Web Services. – less
Didn't appreciate Cincinnati Children's until I left....
Access Service Representative (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OhioMarch 31, 2014
Pros: hour-long lunches, 8 hrs. pto per pay period, friendly co-workers, laid-back working atmosphere, great management for the most part
Cons: office politics, dealing with certain people of the public
......that's right, I resigned from Cincinnati Children's this past July (2013) when I moved out of state, after thirteen years of solid, stable employment.

A typical day at work could be hair-raising every now and then. Sure, there's the demanding parents and whining children. There's the brown-nosing co-workers, office politics, and oh yes, the policies. – more... I saw it all during all my years there in about three different positions.

HOWEVER!

Not until after I left CCHMC and started new employment at a "down south" hospital did I recognize what a true gem this institution is.

No job is perfect. Cincinnati Children's isn't perfect. But Epic (scheduling/appointment system) almost always never goes down (and if it does, IS fixes it IMMEDIATELY, compared to the everyday ridiculous time-consuming productivity-killing system failures at my new job), you get EIGHT hours of PTO PER pay period (compared to the 6.75 or whatever BS we get per pay period at my new job). And oh yeah, at least my former Children's employees can request time off with enough advance notice whether you have PTO to cover it or not. At my new place of employment, you absolutely cannot request time out without PTO, meaning that that lovely vacation you've been wanting to go on is going to have to wait until loooooong after you've been hired and/or you finally have enough PTO to do what you wanted, only to realize you can't take that time off because someone else has already requested the same time off and tough noogies, you have to stay at work and cancel whatever plans you have.

Another thing that has me realizing how good I had it as a CHMC employee is the patient contact. Now I have a job with no patient contact and I find myself missing the parents and children more than ever, more than I ever thought I would. What I wouldn't give to have the opportunity to soothe a frazzled mother and find something to entertain her children rather than talk to cranky generics all day as I do now.

I always took it for granted: the downtime that you have as an employee at Cincinnati Children's. During the day, you're busy, but you also have breaks too that your supervisor often encourages you to have. Breaks that are NECESSARY to avoid burn out. Breaks that I do NOT have at my new job. All that Facebooking, all that standing around and talking about whatever, having friendly chats with patients/families or looking at the news on the internet? Um, sorry, NONE of that exists at my new job. Just work, work, work, work, have a thirty minute lunch break, swallow your food, and go work yourself into exhaustion some more. My new place of employment is everything that Cincinnati Children's isn't. Uptight, chaotic, stressful, uncertain, impersonal.

So if you happen to be employed at CHMC and feel frustrated, please keep it in your mind that it could be so much more worse. While I do not really miss Cincinnati itself, I deeply miss Cincinnati Children's, working there, the friends and families I mingled with on a daily basis. I was simply employed there for so long that it was like second nature to show up for work there everyday. If you are looking for employment at CHMC, I urge you to go for it. The institution itself TRULY care about its employees and their well-being. Sometimes you don't realize these things until you leave. The grass is not greener on the other side sometimes.

I can't thank Cincinnati Children's enough for being a top-notch employer. Hats off to you, CCHMC. I love and miss you. – less
Convenient location and great nursing care
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMarch 28, 2014
A small hospital with good medical team care. Conveniently located and easy to navigate. Cardiology and Cancer care are top-notch.

I had to leave my position there due to an illness, otherwise I would have never left!

1 2 3 4 5

About Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center has a special place in its heart for kids -- and vice versa. The pediatric health – Read more