Cincinnati Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Didn't appreciate Cincinnati Children's until I left....
Access Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioMarch 31, 2014
......that's right, I resigned from Cincinnati Children's this past July (2013) when I moved out of state, after thirteen years of solid, stable employment.

A typical day at work could be hair-raising every now and then. Sure, there's the demanding parents and whining children. There's the brown-nosing co-workers, office politics, and oh yes, the policies. I saw it all during all my years there in about three different positions.

HOWEVER!

Not until after I left CCHMC and started new employment at a "down south" hospital did I recognize what a true gem this institution is.

No job is perfect. Cincinnati Children's isn't perfect. But Epic (scheduling/appointment system) almost always never goes down (and if it does, IS fixes it IMMEDIATELY, compared to the everyday ridiculous time-consuming productivity-killing system failures at my new job), you get EIGHT hours of PTO PER pay period (compared to the 6.75 or whatever BS we get per pay period at my new job). And oh yeah, at least my former Children's employees can request time off with enough advance notice whether you have PTO to cover it or not. At my new place of employment, you absolutely cannot request time out without PTO, meaning that that lovely vacation you've been wanting to go on is going to have to wait until loooooong after you've been hired and/or you finally have enough PTO to do what you wanted, only to realize you can't take that time off because someone else has already requested the same time off and tough noogies, you have to stay at work and cancel whatever plans you have.

Another thing that has me realizing
  more... how good I had it as a CHMC employee is the patient contact. Now I have a job with no patient contact and I find myself missing the parents and children more than ever, more than I ever thought I would. What I wouldn't give to have the opportunity to soothe a frazzled mother and find something to entertain her children rather than talk to cranky generics all day as I do now.

I always took it for granted: the downtime that you have as an employee at Cincinnati Children's. During the day, you're busy, but you also have breaks too that your supervisor often encourages you to have. Breaks that are NECESSARY to avoid burn out. Breaks that I do NOT have at my new job. All that Facebooking, all that standing around and talking about whatever, having friendly chats with patients/families or looking at the news on the internet? Um, sorry, NONE of that exists at my new job. Just work, work, work, work, have a thirty minute lunch break, swallow your food, and go work yourself into exhaustion some more. My new place of employment is everything that Cincinnati Children's isn't. Uptight, chaotic, stressful, uncertain, impersonal.

So if you happen to be employed at CHMC and feel frustrated, please keep it in your mind that it could be so much more worse. While I do not really miss Cincinnati itself, I deeply miss Cincinnati Children's, working there, the friends and families I mingled with on a daily basis. I was simply employed there for so long that it was like second nature to show up for work there everyday. If you are looking for employment at CHMC, I urge you to go for it. The institution itself TRULY care about its employees and their well-being. Sometimes you don't realize these things until you leave. The grass is not greener on the other side sometimes.

I can't thank Cincinnati Children's enough for being a top-notch employer. Hats off to you, CCHMC. I love and miss you.
Pros
hour-long lunches, 8 hrs. pto per pay period, friendly co-workers, laid-back working atmosphere, great management for the most part
Cons
office politics, dealing with certain people of the public
Fast pace, high volume, demanding (mentally and physically)
Special Procedures Radiology Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 26, 2012
Always hit the door running, there was little time for down time always something to do or someone to help. A typical day at work would consist of fast thinking, adaptability, and a go with the flow attitude. There was never any "stone" schedule it would change with the wind as in any high paced department.

The knowledge attained through this facility is priceless, they are a state of the art medical center with lots of "toys" to play with. There was always something to learn or to adapt into a procedure. I can honestly say I did learn something new everyday.

Management was in transition a lot it seemed. CCHMC was looking for a good fit for the department and its needs. It was a long process however I do believe they found a good fit for the department and the staff.

I loved my co-workers we were very much a family, considering we saw each other more then we did our own families. We always had one another's backs if one needed help someone would step up and help out. The best part was very rarely you had to ask for help because the staff was in tune with one another.

I cannot really pin point any hardships about the job. Like any job there are ups and downs however you work through and past them. However the hardest part for me was the decision to leave and stay home with my children. Again I loved my job but at the time my children and my own family needed me more.

I can honestly say I LOVED my job. It brought me great job and satisfaction. I enjoyed the environment I worked in the people who I came in contact with and the facility.
Pros
state of the art technology
Cons
very demanding very busy, little time for breaks or lunches

Comment – August 10, 2012

Your there to work not play! Staet of Ohio says only have to provide overtime after 40hrs knothing about breaks or food time!

Great coworkers, horrible Policies
Nurse (Current Employee) –  CincinnatiFebruary 6, 2014
I was hired on and I knew for the most part about some of the policies. It wasn't until I was there 2 months that I found out about their time off/PTO policies. They give you 24 days of PTO per year, this is at 0.0923 PTO earned per hour worked. That sounds wonderful...at first. Holidays are taken off the top out of your earned PTO, there is no separate Holiday bucket. I was hired around the holidays so this was a problem. I was in the negative for a while due to holidays. You do not get this all at once, it is earned as I said per hour worked. They have about 9 holidays per year. Once you start earning PTO again, if there are cancelled clinics, they make you use your PTO for those cancelled clinics. Yes you heard me. They make you use your PTO when a doctor wants to take time off. You can't choose to use it or not, they force you to use it to meet your FTE whether that be full time 40 hours at a 1.0. Say you don't have PTO because of holidays taking it or cancelled clinics and you need off due to a sickness or vacation, don't count on it. They will decline your vacation, and if you take off, give you an occurrence for your absence. You only get 5 occurrences per year before a write up. You can't just say I don't want to use my PTO for the cancelled clinic, they make you use it. By the time the year is over, you've worked everyday with no time off because you're afraid to take off or you may lose your job and you're exhausted. That's not much fun and not family oriented around the staff that's here day in and day out. If you like vacations and time off, look elsewhere!
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management not readily available, flexibility with time off, pto, expensive healthcare
Truly disappointment
Certified Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 25, 2015
I worked for Children's just short of four years..I was always 20 min early for my shift, training was difficult, the person who did my training snapped her fingers at me like I was 5, even after I was on my own, she was constantly critical.. Families Loved me, I was complimented by Drs..one manager made my life miserable and it felt like if I sneezed wrong I was in her office,it wasn't right away, it was toward the end of my 2nd year... I was initially hired because of my " people skills" from Years of working in the public... I was told by this Mgr she felt I was rude, went to HR. No help there, developed major migraines & Hated going to work...I left ..my own decision, which I've Never done in my life, within a month or so, my migraines wee gone, I stopped all the meds I'd been on...if I could've changed departments, I'd still be there today..because of paperwork from the Mgr I couldn't transfer.. I've Never let one person run me off before but my health & state of mind became more important.
Pros
great hours afer 2012, 3/12 hr shifts per week.
Cons
difficulty with management, no communication. no help from hr with my struggle, when i left though during my exit interview, they admitted my mgr had a lot of " petty" complaints, that didn't help since i was leaving, it should've been seen and said earlier
Excellent
Senior Administrator for Division of Neurosurgery (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 3, 2013
- Support and manage the Division Chief of Neurosurgery and its academic daily operations
- Maintain calendars, travel, weekly meetings, expenses, credentialing and licensure
- Schedule OR cases for the Division Chief
- University of Cincinnati liaison
- Coordinator and liaison to the fellowship and resident program
- Patient relations liaison
-Organize and plan space moves
- Maintain and track legal data for medical reviews
- Maintain the department monthly call schedule for faculty and fellow
- Maintain and implement the call schedule for all faculty and clinical providers
- Maintain and coordinate the surgery case log for all clinical providers
- Interim team leader and mentor for the academic staff
- Maintain office updates and daily communication for safe patient handoff
- Resource for department office technologies- hardware and software
-Kronos payroll for the department including time away/coverage
-Maintain education RVU tracking
-Epic user trained
- Oversees special events, programs and symposiums
- Facilitates implementation of O.R. start time with the Chief of Division and educates the staff
Pros
work for the #3 pediatric hospital in the world
Cons
personal growth
Great and fun place to work at
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 3, 2014
Roles & Responsibilities

 Wrote code for middleware enhancements to the i2b2 using Java Web Services created within Apache Axis and Axis 2 Frameworks.
 Wrote code for front-end enhancements to the i2b2 using the RichFaces Framework.
 Wrote code for front-end enhancements to the Consent Management System using the RichFaces Framework and Hibernate.
 Developed web forms using XFORMS and ODM technologies for the following registries developed at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital: Liver and Eosinophilic GastroIntestinal Disorders,
 Prototyped and Developed several enhancements to the ImproveCareNow registry.
 Developed HTM/CSS-based reports using the open source Java-based BIRT framework.
 Set up Eclipse/Tomcat/JBOSS environments for development and testing for i2b2.
 Used WSDL and XSD files to describe the Web Services and their content.
 Used Apache Axis and Axis 2 APIs to support the creation and processing of SOAP and REST messages, maintenance of user sessions, and management of valid operations provided by the Web Services.
Pros
nice interaction with uc
Cons
no room for advancement
A wonderful place to work. There is a common goal of providing the high services to the patient at all times.
Protective Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 26, 2014
-There was no typical day only some routine actives to be conduced throughout the shift for safety purposes .
-Providing excellent customer service to a wide range of diversity is something I learned that was essential to the job.
-Management would engage interests in all levels of daily actives assisting at any point needed for reference. The support was well received due to the sensitive nature of circumstances.
-The positive and encouraging atmosphere enlisted the services of some of the best co-works that anyone could ask for. This was evident throughout the entire hospital and not limited to a particular department.
-The condition of the patient was the hardest part of the job.
-I enjoyed a lot of aspects of the job but my favorite part was making new connects with patients, parents, guests, visitors and hospital staff. I truly enjoyed providing the services and assistants to those who needed it.
Pros
the highest standard of professionalism
Cons
the weekly rotating off days
Team player who thrives under pressure and utilizes extensive customer service, problem solving, and verbal/written communication skills.
Financial Service Representative II Home Health (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 6, 2015
Responsible for timely insurance notification, eligibility, obtain benefits, and handle precertification for all admissions, surgeries, and outpatient services including observation, special procedures and other selective outpatient testing in accordance with payor requirements including self-pay accounts.
Work with departments and outside entities to establish a positive working relationship that promotes cooperation and teamwork.
Communicate with Quality Management on a daily basis to ensure the appropriateness of accounts requiring precertification and follow-up by UR personnel. Work closely with Non-Sponsored Unit in the sharing of account information to minimize potential denials and aid in the financial assisting process. Maintain a communications network with physicians’ offices and payors to help obtain needed information and resolve problem accounts.
Interactive job working with medical staff, specialist while assisting patients and families to become unified in the patient's treatment.
Mental Health Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 21, 2015
Working in Psychiatry as a Mental Health Specialist on a daily basis gives me the opportunity to be creative while meeting the task of the day. The day begins with our team report, followed by beginning the day with medication and group activities. The team I work with consist of doctors, nurses, social workers, o.t and speech therapist along with other specialist. The goal is to help our patients with the obstacles they are facing in their lives, so they can be restores them to their healthiest mental health. I enjoy listening and trouble shooting with the patients, and I am challenged most by our patients who are more physically aggressive. Working in this environment has taught me to trust my instinct while meeting the needs of others.
Pros
i work with a great team of coworkers
Cons
there are no incentives to help with exhaustion and no training other than in house requirements.
Stressed out Number Three in the Nation
Former slave to the great third in the nation (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 9, 2013
The entire staff is stressed out, and they are willing to throw each other under the bus in order to meet their own needs. I learned that I won't work for a boss that is scared of the medical center across the street. I want my boss to stand up for me, to support my goals, not simply survive to meet his! My co-workers said they would collaborate, but if you work this shift, you'll never see them, and they really really just want to keep it all to themselves. This job position requires being awake during the day and working at night, so prepare yourself for catching a few zzzs after your shift, then going to the required event, then coming back to work. Don't forget to shower. That is how your week will be. Don't spend much on where you live, but make your bedroom great, because that's the only room you'll ever use with the way this job is designed.
Pros
great benefits. humana is excellent.
Cons
punitive co-workers.

Comment – February 22, 2014

they have reposted this job. Why would someone with a national certification want to work at night?

Fast paced, enjoyable place to work
Health Information Management Technician II (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioMay 4, 2012
During my time at Children's, a typical day included duties regarding the management of patient health information. At the time, the EPIC patient health information application was being implemented which meant a conversion from physical chart to uploading the information into the application's database for easier retrieval by health professionals. I learned a lot about HIPPA and other privacy regulations regarding PHI. The management there was always accessible and ready to help. The co-workers greatly contributed to an awesome work environment. The hardest part of my job was the meticulous nature in which each patients information was to be handled each day. I enjoyed the responsibility and accountability of overseeing such important information.
Pros
benefits, work environment, stability
Cons
advancement within department, vague job duties
Productive Place to work, Loved it
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 10, 2012
Cincinnatti Children's Hospital Medical Center, was one of my favorite places to work. There are so many opportunities for various kinds of skills. All of which make the Hospital fantastic for children.
I learned how to verify benefits with the Occupational and Physical Therapy Dept. I got to use my philanthopy skills while temping in the Development department receiving and thanking donors for the various gifts and donations. Loved serving and assisting with Fund raising events all over cincinnati. Enjoyed getting my department OT/PT to participate in a large way with a major fund raising event with the walk-a-thon. I enjoyed the co-workers imediate and other depts. as well. I beleive they have the best PsychDept working with children and staff.
Pros
you get to work independantly
Cons
parking was bad while worked there, since there has been improvements
Wonderful educational and cultural experiences everytime I worked
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 14, 2012
Working for Cincinnati Childrens hospital has allowed me so many educational experiences. Being ranked the # 3 Childrens hospital they get patients from all over the world with many different religious and cultural backgrounds. This has allowed me to use my critical thinking skills many times to figure out how to care for a patient while respecting their values and beliefs. Working for this company has allowed me to care for many disorders and diagnosis I would not normally be able to care for at other smaller hospitals. The educational experiences and knowledge I have gained from working here is immeasurable. The people I worked with were all friendly. The management was wonderful. Every floor I worked on the floor all worked as a team.
Pros
wonderful people, lots of educational experiences, caring work environment
An educational, eye-opening laboratory experience.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 2, 2012
I truly enjoyed the time that I spent working in the Immunology/Allergy research sector of CCHMC. It was an opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life, and of different cultural perspectives. I learned a great deal with regard to research regulations and practice, and I found that a large part of the knowledge I obtained as an undergraduate science major was largely applicable to the work I performed. As a result, I feel that I am a highly competent and committed student, employee, and have the confidence to approach any position with an open and inquisitive mind.
Pros
cultural diversity, flexible schedule, intellectually stimulating, beneficial to my career interests, an opportunity to discuss and examine the teachings i learned as an undergraduate student
Cons
low pay, interesting though sometimes tedious workload
Great Place to work
Emergency Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Township of Liberty, OHAugust 12, 2015
As an Emergency Services Representative in the ED, I would work at various positions within the ED. These positions would include greeting patients/families as they first come to the ED and get them into the computer system to begin visit. I would do registration for the families that include verifying address information and billing. I would do admissions to various appointments that include infusions, direct admissions and sleep studies. I would arrive ambulances when they are bringing in emergency patients that need high attention. I would work with doctors and nurses to arrange transport and referrals to different locations, contact patients primary care providers and any other important medical information needed for patients.
Pros
Positive Enviorment
Cons
Not really any
I think Cincinnati Childrens is a good place to work.
Food Service Assistant ll (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 13, 2012
I work in a small cafe that's part of the Cincinnati Children's Food Service department. I start my day at 6am making coffee, putting out bagels, donuts etc., running the cash regester and waiting on customers too.I enjoy talking to my customer's helping them their day started with a hot cup of coffee. I also stock my area so that it's ready for lunch.There's just two workers that operate the cafe, me and my shift leader and we work as a team so that we can get our customer's in and out in a timely manner. The hardest part of the day is if we get really busy and we need help and no one is avalible to help or bring as what we need, that get's a little annoying sometimes, but we make it work and that's what's important.The best part of the job is when everybody 's happy!
Great teaching and learning environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 30, 2013
A typical day at CCHMC is non stop and busy. You definitely have to be prepared for anything because things can change and a matter of seconds. There is never a dull moment and I'm a witness to say you learn something new each day. This can be anywhere from a new way to do a procedure, a new way to prep, using new medical devices to how to take care of yourself. There is a lot of teamwork, including management, which ensure patient safety and good outcomes. The hardest part of the job is trying to find down time to get everything done within a small time frame so its all about time mangement. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is seeing the smiles on children faces even when times are tough for them.
benefits
Cons
facility is so big that its easy to get lost
micro managed
HUC (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 15, 2012
CCHMC, at least in my dept micro manages you to death. Its suffocating.

A lot of Policies ( example: medical leave of absence) need approval from your manager/dept instead of HR, so be careful about what department you are being hired into.

You need to work 1250 hours per year to qualify for FMLA. So, if you are hired in as a. 5 FTE which is 40 hours per 2 week pay period, you COULD BE DENIED A MEDICAL LEAVE OF ABSENCE AND LOSE YOUR JOB BECAUSE OF NEEDING SURGERY, HEART ATTACK , CAR ACCIDENT, etc!!!

Many people including myself injured on the job are treated like scum from Employee Health and CCHMC.
CCHMC will go to great lengths to try and deny your worker's comp claim. My advice.... get an attorney immediately.
Pros
working with children, good benefits but they are so expensive you almost cannot afford them
teacher (Current Employee) –  CincinnatiJanuary 4, 2014
I enjoy my job, my co workers, parents and children. All Wonderful! The problem is policies when you need time off. You are permitted 5 times per year before you get a write up or written warning. However, all unplanned absences absences are unexcused no matter what. Even if you have something contagious and should not be there with a doctor note it counts against you. Terrible policy because employees come to work sick, they are scared they will lose their job. This puts all the children and families we serve at risk. This does not put Children and families first as Children's Hospital advertises.
Pros
many good people i work with
Cons
management and hr policies and practices
A wonderful experience
Travel Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 28, 2013
I was privilaged to work here has a travel nurse for a little over two years. I was as happy with them as they were with me and kept renewing my contract. I was a staff RN in the oncology/ BMT unit. I was responsible for patient care and administration of chemo and blood products. This is a truly remarkable facility. The hardest part was driving back and forth every day to work there. The mose enjoyable was making a difference and being there for so many individuals. Most of my nurisng career was spent floating as part of a resource pool. I usually did not spend much time in any one area. Working here for two years I was able to get very close to several children that I lost. So dealing with that was very difficult at times.
Pros
everything
Cons
drive back and forth