Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Cincinnati Children's Hospital Employer Reviews

Good Place to Work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 8, 2014
Worked for a good manager and team. CCHMC is a good place and organization to work for. Very inclusive culture
Certain departments are much better than others
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 2, 2014
Pros: competitive pay
Cons: 30 minute lunch breaks
A typical day at work would be supporting the Nurses and Physicians by preparing the necessary paperwork and chart prep. Scheduling patients making follow phone calls to our patients. Print prescriptions. Registered clients verified insurance.

The hardest part of the job is rescheduling patients from their original appointments. The parents would be – more... very upset. – less
CCHMC
Staff RN (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 27, 2014
Cincinnati Children’s is an amazing institution caring for children coming from all over the world for treatment of diseases and disorders
excellent place of employment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 6, 2014
This was an excellent place of work, communication between the manager, physicians and staff was great. It was like a great big family. Very diversified. There were not any hard parts of my job, I love what I do therefore everything I did there was enjoyablre.
Fast Paced job
Emergency Service Representative (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 5, 2014
I currently work at Children's hospital in the emergency department and it is a fast paced job. You need to be well organized, able to multi-task and pay attention to detail. You have to be outgoing and willing to communicate with multiple types of personalities on a daily basis. Great place to work.
CCHMC has a rich culture of diversity and inclusion. This works well for the patients and families who come from around the world
Program Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 29, 2014
Cincinnati Children's Hospital is rated as one of the best in the country. The quality of care is top rated because the employees are focused on the children. It takes a special sensibility to work with children who are ill, and CCHMC staff undeniably have that quality.
Hospital takes care of its employees
Research Assistant III (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 26, 2014
The hospital takes good care of its employees; I wouldn't leave if my PI hadn't taken a position at another institution. Great benefits and a culture of care for employees AND patients. I love it here.
seeing to the needs of the doctors, office personal,etc
Clerk II (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 22, 2014
Pros: being able to meet some of the children's they helped, seeing it grow
Pulling charts for clinic, same day surgery, er, research. Shift leader assigning work for team.
Great and fun place to work at
Application Developer (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 3, 2014
Pros: nice interaction with uc
Cons: no room for advancement
Roles & Responsibilities

 Wrote code for middleware enhancements to the i2b2 using Java Web Services created within Apache Axis and Axis 2 Frameworks.
 Wrote code for front-end enhancements to the i2b2 using the RichFaces Framework.
 Wrote code for front-end enhancements to the Consent Management System using the RichFaces Framework and Hibernate.
 – more... Developed web forms using XFORMS and ODM technologies for the following registries developed at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital: Liver and Eosinophilic GastroIntestinal Disorders,
 Prototyped and Developed several enhancements to the ImproveCareNow registry.
 Developed HTM/CSS-based reports using the open source Java-based BIRT framework.
 Set up Eclipse/Tomcat/JBOSS environments for development and testing for i2b2.
 Used WSDL and XSD files to describe the Web Services and their content.
 Used Apache Axis and Axis 2 APIs to support the creation and processing of SOAP and REST messages, maintenance of user sessions, and management of valid operations provided by the Web Services. – less
Didn't appreciate Cincinnati Children's until I left....
Access Service Representative (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OhioMarch 31, 2014
Pros: hour-long lunches, 8 hrs. pto per pay period, friendly co-workers, laid-back working atmosphere, great management for the most part
Cons: office politics, dealing with certain people of the public
......that's right, I resigned from Cincinnati Children's this past July (2013) when I moved out of state, after thirteen years of solid, stable employment.

A typical day at work could be hair-raising every now and then. Sure, there's the demanding parents and whining children. There's the brown-nosing co-workers, office politics, and oh yes, the policies. – more... I saw it all during all my years there in about three different positions.

HOWEVER!

Not until after I left CCHMC and started new employment at a "down south" hospital did I recognize what a true gem this institution is.

No job is perfect. Cincinnati Children's isn't perfect. But Epic (scheduling/appointment system) almost always never goes down (and if it does, IS fixes it IMMEDIATELY, compared to the everyday ridiculous time-consuming productivity-killing system failures at my new job), you get EIGHT hours of PTO PER pay period (compared to the 6.75 or whatever BS we get per pay period at my new job). And oh yeah, at least my former Children's employees can request time off with enough advance notice whether you have PTO to cover it or not. At my new place of employment, you absolutely cannot request time out without PTO, meaning that that lovely vacation you've been wanting to go on is going to have to wait until loooooong after you've been hired and/or you finally have enough PTO to do what you wanted, only to realize you can't take that time off because someone else has already requested the same time off and tough noogies, you have to stay at work and cancel whatever plans you have.

Another thing that has me realizing how good I had it as a CHMC employee is the patient contact. Now I have a job with no patient contact and I find myself missing the parents and children more than ever, more than I ever thought I would. What I wouldn't give to have the opportunity to soothe a frazzled mother and find something to entertain her children rather than talk to cranky generics all day as I do now.

I always took it for granted: the downtime that you have as an employee at Cincinnati Children's. During the day, you're busy, but you also have breaks too that your supervisor often encourages you to have. Breaks that are NECESSARY to avoid burn out. Breaks that I do NOT have at my new job. All that Facebooking, all that standing around and talking about whatever, having friendly chats with patients/families or looking at the news on the internet? Um, sorry, NONE of that exists at my new job. Just work, work, work, work, have a thirty minute lunch break, swallow your food, and go work yourself into exhaustion some more. My new place of employment is everything that Cincinnati Children's isn't. Uptight, chaotic, stressful, uncertain, impersonal.

So if you happen to be employed at CHMC and feel frustrated, please keep it in your mind that it could be so much more worse. While I do not really miss Cincinnati itself, I deeply miss Cincinnati Children's, working there, the friends and families I mingled with on a daily basis. I was simply employed there for so long that it was like second nature to show up for work there everyday. If you are looking for employment at CHMC, I urge you to go for it. The institution itself TRULY care about its employees and their well-being. Sometimes you don't realize these things until you leave. The grass is not greener on the other side sometimes.

I can't thank Cincinnati Children's enough for being a top-notch employer. Hats off to you, CCHMC. I love and miss you. – less
Convenient location and great nursing care
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMarch 28, 2014
A small hospital with good medical team care. Conveniently located and easy to navigate. Cardiology and Cancer care are top-notch.

I had to leave my position there due to an illness, otherwise I would have never left!
Productive, collaborative and innovative environment. Great job culture and co-workers!
Financial Analyst, James M. Anderson Center (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMarch 27, 2014
A typical day at work is very busy and can be very intense if working on a budget deadline. I have learned how to further improve my time management, collaborative skills and budgeting skills. My co-workers are very fun to work with and very serious when we need to be. Always willing to help one another and encourages everyone is working to their fullest – more... potential. The hardest part of the job is prioritizing essential daily tasks with tasks that have a deadline associated with them. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I get to make a difference in improving the quality of life for all children suffering from an illness. – less
Customer Service
Office Support Personnel (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHMarch 6, 2014
Pros: greeting people at the door and answering phone and office dutities etc.
Cons: n/a
The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to people.. And working with doctors and co-workers in the office.
Productive and flexible place to work
Project Specialist (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMarch 4, 2014
I love working for Cincinnati Children's Hospital because of the mission and values it upholds.
Progressive in Research. Stable Employment
SERVICE DESK ANALYST (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMarch 2, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is how the company helps children, not only locally but all over the world.
Hospital works hard to improve employee satisfaction and patient outcomes
Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 27, 2014
Hospital works hard to improve employee satisfaction and patient outcomes.
Nice Place
ACCESS SERVICE REPRESENTIVE II (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 17, 2014
Love the job and workplace, just in need of a more family friendly setting
Great coworkers, horrible Policies
Nurse (Current Employee), CincinnatiFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: management not readily available, flexibility with time off, pto, expensive healthcare
I was hired on and I knew for the most part about some of the policies. It wasn't until I was there 2 months that I found out about their time off/PTO policies. They give you 24 days of PTO per year, this is at 0.0923 PTO earned per hour worked. That sounds wonderful...at first. Holidays are taken off the top out of your earned PTO, there is no separate – more... Holiday bucket. I was hired around the holidays so this was a problem. I was in the negative for a while due to holidays. You do not get this all at once, it is earned as I said per hour worked. They have about 9 holidays per year. Once you start earning PTO again, if there are cancelled clinics, they make you use your PTO for those cancelled clinics. Yes you heard me. They make you use your PTO when a doctor wants to take time off. You can't choose to use it or not, they force you to use it to meet your FTE whether that be full time 40 hours at a 1.0. Say you don't have PTO because of holidays taking it or cancelled clinics and you need off due to a sickness or vacation, don't count on it. They will decline your vacation, and if you take off, give you an occurrence for your absence. You only get 5 occurrences per year before a write up. You can't just say I don't want to use my PTO for the cancelled clinic, they make you use it. By the time the year is over, you've worked everyday with no time off because you're afraid to take off or you may lose your job and you're exhausted. That's not much fun and not family oriented around the staff that's here day in and day out. If you like vacations and time off, look elsewhere! – less
Enjoy my job, great Executive Leadership
Sr. Executive Asst. to Sr. VP- Medical Operations (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: great working realationship with senior management
Working for an MD who is also an a member of the Leadership team is different everyday.
Productive and fun place with friendly people
Patient Escort (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 27, 2014
In a typical day it can be very busy and crowed with people in need of some type of service. At children's I have learned more about how to care and communicate with people I don't know. The management is excellent. The co-workers are very friendly and everyone treats each other with respect. The hardest part of my job is have to take a dead individual – more... to the morgue. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people. – less

1 2 3 4

About Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center has a special place in its heart for kids -- and vice versa. The pediatric health – Read more