Cisco Employee Reviews

Found 1,244 reviews matching the search
good
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 20, 2016
This company is great. I love my managers and my team. They have a direct interest in my well being with the company.
I also love the office setup and vibe. Everyone is super helpful and attentive.
I really appreciate that the company allows flexibility in your workday and unlimited PTO. My co-workers are easy to work with, and I feel supported by team leads.
I only wish the pay was a bit higher. Because of this, I doubt if I will be able to work here for very long. But for the time being, I'm enjoying learning new things and picking up a few skills
Jordan • 11 mins
Pros
co-workers are very helpful
Cons
Nice and Relaxed place to work.
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 19, 2016
I would be able to come in anytime I would like.
I learned Oracle 10.7.
The management was friendly and nice to work with.
My co-workers was nice to work with.
The hardest part of my job was the long hours.
I really enjoyed the people I worked with.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Beware of falsely advertised contract durations
Sr. Financial/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2016
Pros:
Work life balance, well defined and structured roles and responsibilities.

Cons:
Cisco falsely advertises duration of contracts (for contractors), promising six months or more at the time it needs someone for only three months. When three months elapse, they simply tell contractors there is no budget! That happened to many contractors who worked on my time, and of course, they wouldn't have taken the contract had they known it is only three months.

Also, a lot of favoritism so you might work very hard and the credit goes to someone who was a minimal contributor.

Finally, work experience depends on what project you work on, could revolve around Cisco specific products and services, so not easily transferable to other companies.

My advice is the following: if you work for Cisco then make sure to look for full time while working there. Also, take a contract where you use technical tools used in other companies so your experience counts.
Pros
Work life balance, well defined and structured roles and responsibilities.
Cons
Summarized above
Sales VP focus
Vice President, America's Sales Enablement (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2016
Ensure that the strategic initiatives are progressing in a positive direction, while managing the business of selling solutions that positively affect our customers. I reached out to my direct reports nationally at least every other day formally or informally to ensure that I heard from them their successes, concerns , or struggles. Peer management in Cisco is an important part of working at Cisco, so keeping those relationships healthy was also a weekly focus.
Pros
Personally rewarding
Cons
a large boat takes time to turn around
The company to work for
Automation Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 23, 2016
I have spent almost sixteen years of my life/career with Cisco Systems, Inc. There are ups and downs. There are changes. There are happiness and sadness. There are times I had to work days and nights and weekends to make our products successful. There are times we enjoyed partying and share good stories of our lives.

I have learned so much in those years from Cisco culture, from talented colleagues, from friends I made at Cisco. I have been coached by professionals at Cisco.

Overall, Cisco is the company to work for.
Pros
benefit package
Cons
work-life balace
good compensation, very political
SR Manager CSG Wireless (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 24, 2016
Very Political Environment

To be successful it's better to say what VP(S) and directors want to hear rather than sharing ideas and truth's that would make product better

Decisions are based on favoritism and not technically founded.

TTM decisions are made at the expense of customers at times with plans to solve issue in downstream releases.

Compensation is very good as it includes high salaries, recognition awards, employee stock purchase plans, and restricted stock units
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Political
work here if you like networking
Technical Marketing for Mobility - IQ (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 6, 2015
Very Slow growth, but have plenty access to different groups and products. Fantastic work life balance , Easy access to senior management.
Pros
Work Life balance
Cons
Health care sucks if spouse is working, Compensation too bad for long timers
Administrative, Project Specialist, BOM Editor (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 11, 2016
I cannot speak for others, but Cisco was one of the very best workplaces I have had the pleasure of being a part of for the last 8 yrs. During my time at Cisco, I moved upward three times and all my managers and co-workers where wonderful to work with. The culture is great and those I came in contact with were respectful and had great work ethics. The benefits were exceptional.

I was in tears when my division was sold to Technicolor.
Pros
Benefits, culture, great salary
Cons
sometimes had to work long hours
Nice work environment with great professionals. Insecure company as there is lay off every year which does not seem to depend on your performance
Quality Assurance (QA)/Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 4, 2015
Nice work environment with great professionals. Interesting technology and good benefits.
Insecure company to work for as there is lay off every year which does not seem to depend on your individual performance.
Pros
Great learning opportunities and technologies
Cons
Lay off every year. It does not seem to depend on your performance
A good stable company to start career
Manager of Production Operations (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 4, 2016
Cisco Systems has evolved since its hey day in the early 90's. It's still one of the biggest names in networking gear for the rest of the world but in the past 10 yrs has slowly loss its charm both to Wall Street as well as main street. The brand isn't as strong as it used to be. There are plenty of other vendors to go to for less.
This notion of how well a company is performing affects the employees currently working for Cisco as well as potential new hires. If you are looking for a job, landing employment is a good thing. There's lots to learn and plenty of opportunities to move around. The only problem is moving up and growth as an individual. You'll really need to work hard to be noticed and then to get in front of the right people who can help your career.
Navigating within Cisco is tricky and other people tend to be quite competitive.
Overall, a good company to work for but you can reach a plateau quite fast depending on your skills and work experience.
Pros
some free perks in break room and onsite services
Cons
hitting ceiling quickly on career growth and compensation
Productive and Work-Life balance culture
Property Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMarch 8, 2016
Love working here, no micro-management and work-life balance is great. I am a contractor with limited tasks. Opportunity can be limited with contractors so hope to become an actual employee of Cisco. Great company for working mothers!
Stagnent. Not much career advancement opportunities
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 14, 2015
Cisco is basically a good company with a strong product portfolio. However, it has had to adapt to a much slower growth rate. The management has stagnated and there is little growth opportunity.

Good company if you want s (somewhat) stable job and don't expect to advance or get significant pay increase. It is frustrating as there are areas within the company that are very resistant to change

As any big company, there are pockets of well managed groups and larger areas of mediocrity.
Pros
Good product portfolio, stable, work/life balance. Good place to start or revive your career
Cons
Stagnent. Minimal career growth opportunity.
Fast paced growing and fun.
Project Manager, to Network Consulting Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMay 6, 2016
In my first years at Cisco I was in a sales office and though the work was long and hard, it was fun and fulfilling. My first opportunity for full time employment came with the newly formed at the time service division where I was assigned to Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Was-Mart as a customer was very anti Cisco culture and wanted us to live in and adopt their oppressive culture. During my tenure there Wal-Mart became the Fortune Once company and man did the management base get an ego boost from that. They had an internal mantra of; "Ask for Mars, you just might get the moon." They were a very difficult customer to satisfy and had a requirement of our team that we choose Cisco or Wal-Mart loyalties. If Cisco, see you later. The compensation was good and I learned a ton but there was no work life balance.
Pros
Good pay and other benefits such as stock options and great bonuses.
Cons
Being assigned to Wal-Mart took most of the fun of working for Cisco away.
A company where you can grow you career
Sr. UI /UX Designer Developer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 17, 2016
Flexibility, great benefits, competitive salary, positive work environment. Have worked at another company since leaving and realized how well Cisco takes care of their employees. Current employees should be very thankful because the grass is definitely not greener on the other side.
The company truly believes on promoting within and as an employee you are encouraged to grow your career within the organization and learn new skills by taking different positions. Benefits are excellent. Cisco is the industry leader for networking and now cloud. It is sometimes easy to forget that on the daily grind but you are working for the company that everyone looks to for network and infrastructure standards. Culture within the business units managing product lines give you a lot of freedom to be innovative and creative in your approach to your role. In most cases you are given a fair amount of autonomy and control over how you do your job provided that it aligns with the strategic objectives. And while the salaries aren't the top of the industry, they are above market and pretty competitive.
Productive and easy going work place
(Contract) Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCSeptember 2, 2016
CISCO is a good place to work as long as you realize your contract may end at any time. But they do provide a very laid back culture and an easy going management style.,

I learned that CISCO is a work from home friendly workplace.

My co-workers on average were very easy to get along with and helpful with needed information.

The hardest part of the job was making human connections.
Pros
work from home, company dinners
Cons
contracting didn't allow for great benefits
Cisco is a rare company to be a part of.
OCC Shift Lead Incident Manager (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMarch 19, 2016
Cisco is a great leading company that offers more than just a job. It offers a family friendly company that allows all to enjoy life as well as their job. I drive to work 50 mins to and 50 mins back, and not one day have I felt that I don't want to come to work.
The grass is green here, and I am happy to work for such a great company. Plus the CEO is a Tarheel fan which is a huge plus.
Pros
Great work place, friendly people, happiness all around you
Cons
Low wages - not Cisco fault but the contractor I am with
Just another day
Operations Support & Logistics Management (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 27, 2016
Cisco is a nice place to work as it pays well. My only concern is with the corporate culture as I quickly became bored. I was always done my tasks ahead of time and would keep asking for more responsibilities. I was the youngest employee in my department and I felt very unstimulated most of the time there. It seems like they need more youngsters over there to infuse the culture with some youthful energy. All in all, it's a good company.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
No free lunches
Some great people, and great customers
Director (Former Employee) –  San JoseSeptember 1, 2015
It's a big organisation - 70,000 people, with many products and solutions. It's like a high tech portfolio and not all areas will function at any one time. The company has a very successful hardware business and is now focused on Software, Services and Cloud. The move is not without its challenges.
Pros
Health benefits, Team work, Smart people
Cons
Legacy management are struggling with the industry transitions
horrible management
DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING, OPERATIONS & MARKETING (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCSeptember 20, 2016
Cisco is fundamently nothing more than a VC/banking company that would prefer to outsource all work to contractors and or AP region. As soon as it is able to will lay you off. it has NO loyalty to employees and the HR "people deal" is a joke. Since when is it hard to have a review program that focuses on your performance against goals and metrics without stack ranking you?
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
management, zero meaningful people development
Great teams attempting to redefine the technology infrastructure business
Information Architect (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAJuly 18, 2016
Cisco has exceptional teams hard at work on overcoming legacy challenges and remaking the business into a future-oriented enterprise. That is demanding, difficult, and sometimes requires heroic effort. But most Cisco rank and file engage the work with skill and optimism.

I learned just how tough it is to design and implement changes to architecture, process, information, and systems in a 70,000 person enterprise with complex, overlapping lines of business. Most of my managers were great people and all of my teams were good people.

A huge amount of time is spent in meetings, which were fortunately a mix of in-person and virtual meetings. The technical work sessions were the best, because it allows serious intellectual work to understand topics. The larger motivational meetings were, however, of dubious value, at least to me.

Overall, Cisco may be unique in at least one way: it is a large legacy company that seriously tries to work like a start-up. This has pros and cons, and is almost always confusing. Still, I'm thrilled to have 8 exceptional years at Cisco and will never forget it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cisco. Our community is ready to answer.