Cisco
1,147 reviews

Cisco Employee Reviews

Good company but it's easy to burn out
Sr. Manager Operations, Global Partner Support (Former Employee), ChicagoFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: great remote/telecommuting policy
Cons: too large, internal competition
I was with Cisco for over 10 years. In that time I found that in order to grow into new products and services we would acquire companies. There was little thought as to how to integrate them into the company and layoffs would occur regularly to remove redundancies.
As a manager I found myself cutting into my my own team to meet aggressive layoff numbers.
This bred an environment where people would compete for internal position as opposed to doing what was right for the customer.
Amazing Internship Experience
UCS Escalations - Applications Development Intern (Former Employee), San Jose, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: very professional, modern and amazing communication technologies, amazing learning experience, great environment and ambiance, perfect for a career choice
Cons: recent and current department changes became an issue near end of internship
The leading technology company is strongly tailored to accommodate every employee's needs. The are very flexible on work schedule, as long as full-time hour sets are met. There are many services available to meet several diverse lifestyles, welcoming all workers to enjoy the community.

The internship program was very welcoming and involved. They provided many resources to for interns to learn and embrace the community. They offered several educational resources and events embracing the culture of self-motivated individuals to expand their knowledge and advance their careers.

My individual internship program was very demanding, as I was given a solo project specific to try and increase productivity. I was the creator of the project making it difficult to share ideas with others, but company environment was very friendly and open to questions.
Description: Project: SCA (Supply Chain Automation)
Project Lead (Current Employee), San Jose, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Responsibilities:
 Developed Business processes by configuring shared resources, creating process definitions, creating activities.
 Developed Business Processes to integrate eLibrary applications to Akamai Cloud using TIBCO BW.
 Extensively used business works to do the complex data mapping, web services invocation, 2-way SSL communications and Procedure calls.
 Designed and developed SOAP web services using TIBCO BW for both SOAP over HTTP and JMS and created WSDL files for required operations.
 Designed crone jobs (Timer) processes to invoke on need basis.
 Used EMS queues and topics for publish-subscribe communication with Oracle database.
 Created BW EAR files containing process and deployed them by configuring in Administrator.
 Worked on UNIX system to check the logs.
 Responsible for Backend PLSQL coding.
 Create Error handling and Validation processes using TIBCO Business works.
 Designed and developed various testing Business Works processes to test the Business Work processes. End to end testing of the conversion processes to ensure correct functionality.
 Reviewed the processes developed by the peer developers and gave necessary suggestions.
 Provided administration support, to maintain deployed applications and troubleshoot any problems that arise.
 Provided on call support for end to end testing over weekends.
good place to work
Truck Driver Class (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: money is decent the owner is good people
Cons: hours 0f work and driving on snow and ice
a good place to work must be ive been there 38 years .the owners are good fair people wont find better people to work for. A normal day is getting up 3 in morning delivering our product to our customer getting home around 5. hardest part is hours and weather nobody likes to drive on ice and snow
Cisco Intern
Networking Engineer Intern (Former Employee), San Jose, CAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere, great and talented people
Cons: a little hard to understand some of the folks there.
Learned a great deal about Cisco routers and switches everything from the high end to the low end.
Also learned how to configure multiple networking systems. Write configuration scripts and back out plans.
Good place to work.
Program Manager (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: long days
Good work environment with talented people. New challenges every day. Many opportunities depending on experience and skill level.
Good Company
Hadoop Developer (Current Employee), Jersey City, NJFebruary 5, 2015
Roles and Responsibilities:

 Developing Map reduce jobs in Java/Python for analyzing CEC usage data

 Creating Hive tables and loading data and analyze data with Hive queries

 Used Sqoop to transfer data between RDBMS and HDFS

 Experience with NoSQL - MongoDb

 Managing off-shore team and assigning the work and monitoring with Rally

 Setting up proxy rules of applications in Apache server

 Setting up CRON jobs for applications

 Designed an innovative data ingestion method to accelerate MongoDB loading

 Publish code and the supporting files in Stage and Production using Web updater tool

 Code deployment using Kintana

 Documentation of User Requirement Specifications and System Requirement Specification

 Sending and Receiving Handovers to and from Offshore

 Knowledge Transfer to the newly hired
Excellent opportunity to learn and grow
High Touch Operations Manager (Former Employee), RTP, NCFebruary 5, 2015
My primary role as a High Touch Operations Manager with Cisco was to ensure network stability for my customer, Time Warner Cable. This was accomplished through proactive monitoring to assess for any potential risks, trending analysis to expose areas of concern or opportunities for improvement, and driving high priority incidents to conclusion.

All high priority network impacting incidents were driven by myself. When case escalation was needed, I would reach out to the necessary personnel (NCE's, CSE's, BU, SSM, etc.) to facilitate a troubleshooting session with the customer and drive the call to ensure customer satisfaction.

Trending analysis was reviewed on a weekly basis with both Cisco engineers and TWC management. The analysis included review of all high severity cases for the week, trends on all cases opened during the current calendar year, RMA's, bugs, RA's, and ongoing/upcoming network changes. Feedback was also solicited in order to make adjustments to the trending data presented to ensure we delivered content relevant to the customer's needs. This analysis was also shared with TWC executive staff on a quarterly basis.
Great place to get experience
TECHNICAL MARKETING ENGINEER (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 4, 2015
Cisco has many different career opportunities both in a corporate environment and working with customers. While working within a corporate environment there are typically opportunities to work remotely, from home.

This is a great environment to get technical experience and experience working within a customer environment.
"People Oriented" Behemoth
Mobility Solutions Program Manager (Former Employee), Boston AreaFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: just very fair to its employees, in general. very good financial baseline.
Cons: some folks at higher levels feel compelled to justify their existences by introducing complexity, change for the sake of it, mission statement blurry.
Many many years at this company. Would never utter a bad word (particularly when compared to other environs). Treat people really well. Obviously great products. Acquisition growth model works well for it. Lots of politics, though. What else would one expect from a company with its history and current size? Executive management is a mixed bag. Lots of G.O.B.G. (good ole boy/girl) cronyism. Again, par for the course. Finance-driven (this is a good thing, contrary to what many tech folks would imagine). Outsourcing is a bad mark, if that sort of thing bugs ya (does me, but that's just me - perhaps is unavoidable). Nonetheless, still a top ranking organization, through and through.

Notes:
This review was written after having been "re-org'd" out of the company recently.

Also, written from the perspective of an operations person. I've noticed most reviews for tech companies are quite techno-centric and are geared toward the life of an engineer. My apologies:).
Nice place to park your career
Hardware Engineer (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: working from home if you have a boss that allows it
Cons: 12 week paternity leave and leave to take care of a dying relative will get you layed off
I am an ASIC/FPGA Hardware Engineer. It is a tossup. You could work in a tough group where they ask you to work 24/7 or you could end up in a group that is an easy job. Some groups let you work from home all of the time where as others they want to see you every minute of the day (even if you are not doing anything). There doesn't seem to be any break through designs that you could work on. You mostly end up working in old product lines that evolve slightly and it has incremental changes made to them.
Oracle Performance tuning
Oracle Database Performance tuning analyst (Former Employee), Montvale, NJJanuary 31, 2015
Working in shifts maintains 24X7 Oracle Production, Test & Development databases ranging from few GB to 6 TB.
Supporting Oracle databases working for Oracle E-Business Suite, Peoplesoft, SAP, IFS and RP.
Taking care of Backups, Applying patches, Cloning databases, performance tuning, configuring standby databases, implementing & managing RAC databases and ASM instances.
Webex support
IT Analyst (Former Employee), RTP, NCJanuary 29, 2015
Cons: contractor
I was a contractor supporting webex and they gave false information on offering me a job with compucom.
Good company
Director of Software and Hardware Engineering (Current Employee), Richardson, TexasJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: bonus, salary and restricted stock units
Cons: california location is best for advancement, satellite campuses are limited for career group in management.
Cisco has excellent salary and bonus structure, very good for technical engineers with interesting work. The company in general is good, Career development for management is limited in satellite sites. California site has the most opportunities.
Work Life Balance
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: work remotely
One of the few companies in Bay area that believe in Work Life Balance.
Process oriented company, good work/life balance
Global Development Services (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 26, 2015
If you enjoy or prefer a process oriented company, this would be a good company to work for. Compensation is fair and co-workers are friendly and helpful.
Fun workplace with free can soft drinks
Sales Support Coordinator (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: all expenses paid travel and being able to work remote
Cons: the company has downsized several times
I had a 100% traveling role bouncing from city to city and state to state. However, the times I did visit the Cisco office across the country were great and exciting. Management is very supported of your needs. Hardest part about the job was constantly packing and unpacking my luggage. Ofcourse not all roles are the same at Cisco, this was just mine. Most enjoyable part was the traveling itself. While conducting business across the country I was able to visit 42 states!
Good
Network Consulting Engineer (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 24, 2015
Good.

Its a good place to work.
I would recommend people to join Cisco.
2014 Fortune Best Place To Work Ranking #55
Program Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Co-workers are great. The culture has suffered with what seems to be annual layoffs.
Good people, challenging roles
Finance Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: work life/balance
Cons: limited advancement/lack of security
I worked for and with many good people at Cisco. There are many opportunities to gain experience, but advancement is limited.

Also, Cisco has been in a state of finding its identity, which means periodic restructuring/layoffs.

About Cisco

Are you changing the world? We are. Cisco, a worldwide leader in IT, is changing the way the world works, lives, plays and – Read more