CitiTrends Employee Reviews

Coming from an Associate turned Manager
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 11, 2014
First off Citi Trends does not care about their associates. Only management gets paid vacation (after a year) and there is no employee discount. Employees start at minimum wage for minimum a year upon review. Citi Trends employees get something called "Associate Appreciation Days" which you will save you 20% on merchandise for about two SELECTED days. These days are strategically placed before major holidays and tax season which seems more like a ploy to get you to spend your earnings than anything else.

They will not promote you if you are doing it for pay. Citi Trends has a thing for not giving adequate raises. I, even with employee of the month honors store and district wide could not get promoted. Partly due to the ever revolving turnover rate in upper level manager and secondly their cheap ways of trying to get bargain basement deals on employees. I worked for two years and only made $7.50. My former manager informed me that reapplying after leaving for five months improved my chances which is how I got into management in the first place and even that was a fight.. I WAS NOT PROMOTED! I returned because it was closer to my home and my staff was awesome, they are all good friends.

If you may be in need of a company who provides emergency responses regarding any accommodations, this isn't the one. So expect to beg at the feet of the old bitter women they hire or miss your child's recital, doctor appointments, or your wife's labor. (I couldn't leave my job with my wife in labor until another associate arrived because there has to be two people in the store at all times and
  more... the DM couldn't be reached, get this I was the sole provider and the ride) My staff did all they could but the fact that corporate offered 0 help was embarrassing. Basically your DM will not get involved, in anything so your really betting everything against the heart of other people, who are also underpaid. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone looking for more than a stop gap job while waiting for their ideal interview to come through. It is a poorly organized company with no touch with their employee base or management staff.. You may get lucky and land a cool management staff that will work with and appreciation you, but that is a gamble in itself.  less
Pros
may land a rare good staff
Cons
everything corporate touches

Comment – May 6, 2014

I have been told in order to control a district-wide payroll reduction (for what reasoning I don't know when we already distributed our allotted payroll) I was to send employees home if the store volume stalled, for no reason at all except for the fact we might have been slow. I had a real issue with sending employees home and cutting their paychecks because corporate wants to save money. (Probably for bonuses) How they keep it mum is by telling the Assistant and Store Management staff that their hours are okay, but associates and their checks are expendable. I didn't do this, but that was the beginning of the end for me...

Good for obtaining some retail experience
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJanuary 30, 2015
I started as a sales associate and was quickly promoted to 2nd Assistant Manager. Now I am over the entire Kids Department and am responsible for weekly Markdowns on Sundays and Mondays. I also handle Returns & Exchanges, determine whether discounts are necessary, open and close the store, do daily paperwork, and other managerial duties in addition to processing freight and stocking the sales floor.

This was my first job in retail so I do appreciate what I've learned by working here, even though nearly everything I've learned has been self-taught. We opened a new location and received hardly any training. I also received minimal training when I was promoted. So whenever I did anything wrong, I was treated rudely and unfairly, considering the fact that I was unaware of certain policies and procedures.

My store manager is unqualified and unprofessional. She does not like to communicate between other managers and sales associates, which is very important to success.

To be honest, this is an OK place to START if you've never had any retail experience. But if you're like me and have dreams for a professional fashion retail career, this is NOT the place to be. They hire almost anyone and don't pay nearly enough.

Our 1st assistant manager gets paid $10/hr and she does the same duties as I do except her department is the Men's Department (which is a bit smaller than my department) and instead of Markdowns, she is responsible for calling customers about their Layaway Payments.

I am of course the 2nd Assistant Manager. I get paid only $8.50/hr.

We have recently acquired a 3rd assistant
  more... manager (at least that's what they told her, but she is only a keyholder), who began working only a few months ago but is being paid $9/hr. She's responsible for the Plus Department which is really small.  less
Pros
promotion from within if you prove yourself
Cons
low pay, unprofessional store management, cheap, unruly customers
Citi Trends is an awful company to work for.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Braddock Hills, PAFebruary 12, 2013
When I first started as Cititrends I was hopeful for a thriving career and advancement. I was looking forward to new challenges and an EQUAL opportunity to prove myself. Unfortunately this is NOT what I found. I instead found myself constantly being left out of the loop of manager information, I was hardly trained in the areas I needed to survive there, let alone advance. Trying to get my boss to show me what was needed to advance such as office paperwork, deposits and banking, scheduling, etc was like pulling teeth from a lion. I was given excuses and brushed off as to why I couldn't learn anything more. So I went on to ask another manager for help and improvise the rest on my own.

(Which became proof that I knew what I was doing as my district manager complimented me for a great job consistently.)

Further more I found that when given the opportunity for a promotion or a raise I was down graded and given reasons from said store manager of the things she had NOT shown me or refused to train me in. To go on I had spent almost a year and a half with the company, yet while I was there I was subject to racial slurs, harassment and threats of harm from another manager above me and a few cashiers she had been fraternizing with outside of work. When I approached the situation each time to try resolve it through my boss, my district manager and human resources nothing was ever done. Even when upper management heard the situations described by others and not just myself, the problem was not resolved nor was/were the offender(s) ever disciplined or terminated. To this day the offender(s)
  more... still work(s) there.  less
Pros
i no longer work there.
Cons
poor managment, extremely low pay, 0 advancement/job security, 0 modern culture/values
Horrible Workplace
PT - Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 28, 2014
Most horrible job experience ever. This was my first job and it sucked!!!!!

A Typical Day: If you opened the store you had to be there at 9:30 a.m. until normally 2 or 3 sometimes longer depending... You had to open all the registers count down all the money etc., then you had to go to the back to retrieve freight you have to process atleast 4 boxes every hour. Along with that you have to help customers and check out .. No breaks - NOTHING! If you came in the afternoon 3 to later you had to recover the store or process any remaining freight a customer left behind. You had to put away all go backs from front register and dressing rooms had to fix all fly away hangers had to sweep with a little sweeper and then vacuum the whole store. You could not vacuum while people were still in the store so you had to wait until closing at 8 pm Then the sales associate has to help count all money and close all registers along with vacuum because the manager or assistant manager has to count up all the paperwork. You always lose money because you must clock out at 9 p.m. on the dot but you still have to finish up the store before leaving - sometimes leaving after 10 p.m. !!!

Management: The management sucks! The boss is only worried about herself and she is very rude to her other employees as well as other customers. She is always getting negative reviews from customers!

Co-Workers: In the process of 1 year - 3 employees quit! All of the co-workers were nice except one who is now assistant manager and is being quite rude just like her boss

Hardest Part: For all the work you do it sucks
  more... that you only get paid 7.25

Enjoyable Part: Working with SOME nice people excluding the boss and her puppet!
Cons
everything is a con and the boss sucks!
Exciting never dull
1st Assistant Key Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 30, 2012
Citi-Trend was a wonderful company to work for. As assistant Manager it provided me the ability to know each and every employee and the hardest part of this job was leaving it, because I really formed a mily relationship with the co-workers. A typical day for me as manager on duty employees reported to on a daily base Job duties include opening and closing the store, I maintained all updates on inventory control, facilitate inventory transactions and maintain compliance standards for shrinkage control. I prepared daily work schedules for employees and managed the store opening and closing

I monitored the stores daily sales activities to ensure that customers receive satisfactory service, reported all transactions and updates to regional manager, and maintained and did bank drops in order not to keep an over flow of cash in the facility. I directed and supervised employees while they were engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services to customers

Planned staff meetings and reported back to the store manager on findings assisted and also was responsible for hiring and termination of employees.

As assistant manager of CITI Trends my job was to analyze, write up and do evaluations on employees on a monthly base. I made sure that all staff complied with the rules, regulations and policies of CITI Trends, Inc.

Ability to handle issues, supervisor and inform store manager, regional manager and/or Human Resources as required. Ability to monitor work flow and backlog and takes appropriate action to remedy any problems with or without supervision
  more...

It was my job to ensure that store surplus was disposed properly and that my store did not order more inventory then needed, I maintain and controlled over excess and obsolete materials, purchased supplies, and equipment as needed, and had the ability to work with our companies purchasing department and vendors to quickly resolve issues that arise
Pros
great opportunity to grow
Do NOT work for this company
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  GAApril 13, 2015
When I was there, our manager was placed out of work for lengthy period of time and they would not let us bring in anyone during the busiest part of the year(Christmas time) until AFTER we had gone through the craziness of the season. Also, don't get pregnant and have complications because you will be gone out the door as soon as possible. I was having contractions while preforming markdowns and yet all upper management cared about was if something wasn't merchandised.... not about their employee's health.
All they care about is the all-mighty dollar and not about their employees. If they really cared about their employees, they would have better working security system. They would employ more people to watch for people stealing. They would prosecute more people for stealing instead of having such a messed up policy that you can't do a thing about the thief. They would rather blame employees of stealing instead of believing that "customers" are stealing them blind. I have never worked for such a horrible company in my life. This place is just not worth the time and effort that was given to them.

Also, the clothes for the most part are not good. You wash them twice and they already have holes coming through the clothes. Upper Management will make you put moldy clothes on the racks because she doesn't want to lose money. The shoes that would come in would sometimes have mold on them or would be covered with stuff on them and we would be made to clean off the shoe to put them on the shelves! Is this the kind of company that cares about their image? I think not.
Pros
Coworker Interactions, Good Customers
Cons
Pregnancy discrimination, Clothing and Accessories, Upper Management, Caring for Almighty Dollar
The End to a New Beginnning
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 11, 2015
This was my first job in my life. I loved what I did, loved the vibe I got from my co workers, and mainly the customers. A typical day for me at CitiTrends was like working at home with my family. Cititrends is a Low Budget Franchise but, I always felt like I was at home when I clocked in for work. I learned a lot of great things to take with me to my next job. Things that also helped prepare me for a better life as well. I learned customer service skills, patience, better decision making, and etc. Management at CitiTrends was just like parents. Robert Johnson was one of the best GMs I have probably met so far. He understands the way the world works and tries his best to help everyone succeed in life and at work. I enjoyed and still talk to my old co-workers because they helped me learn the things I know. I only had one complainant since I had the job, More Hours! Overall, I enjoyed every customer that came in. They all are different which means I got to deal with a lot of different interesting people; That right there is the most enjoyable aspect of the job I had. I love to interact with customers even if they aren't feeling good or in a bad mood. I try to understand some customers so that way, they will always come back because as long as you know what the customer wants and can keep delivering their needs they will always come back. I love CitiTrends always will, its my first job but not my last; But I believe coming to this end will brighten up the new beginning that is in stored for me.
Pros
Everything But the Hours
Cons
Hours
Great place to work with customers but benifits and hours are not all that good.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, arMay 22, 2013
When i first come to work, i would clock in. If im a cashier that day, i would begin to help ring up customers and put out new merchandise in at slow periods. If i am a floor worker i would clock in, then ask if any of the cashiers need anything. if not i would go straight to the back and get boxes of frieght and began processing it to go out. If i see a customer i would greet them and ask if they need any assistance. I learn a lot about theft prevention and how to work the Citi Trends register system. I also learned how to do debt, credit, and check purchases.
The management was bearable. You just have to learn to listen and take critical advice. As far a the co-workers go. Sometimes you may have to do their job and yours. You can't get upset though because when management finds out that someone has been slacking their hours get cut and as a reward the good workers will get more hours yielding to a better paycheck. The hardest part of the job is not being able to satify a customer. Sometimes we dont always have what they are looking for or maynot have their size and some customers are not willing to try anything else but this rarely happens.
Pros
helping people build their self-esteem by picking out clothes that compliment them
Cons
no health care
Worst job experience
1st assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 25, 2015
The store managers are disrespectful, manipulative and treat their employees like garbage. You are at risk of being attacked outside the job by these ghetto crazy people who like to steal because part of your job is to follow them, since your livelihood is not worth the company having security to protect the employees, except for the live monitors of people who suppose to watch over the store..let me add who never answers or respond when they are needed. Mmm let me see low pay, no life because you are obligated to be there even if your love one dies, because they can't keep people to work or have enough people to make up for someone calling out for an emergency, always understaffed.. It might be only you and one manager in the whole store, so now you're really getting robbed left and right, no overtime...you will be inconvenienced for the store but they'll make sure to not pay you for it as long as you don't go over you our hours..you'll get sent home first after they use you. Store managers ...insecure bitter unhappy hags at home..who take their personal issues out on their job and workers. If you desperately need a job and have NO options..this job will get you a check..by all means don't stop until you find something else!!!
Pros
A check
Cons
Everything...management make it more dreadful
One of the best jobs I've had
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJuly 29, 2014
A typical day at work for me depends on what time I'm scheduled. If I'm scheduled before 5 I'm usually working on unpacking our shipment and ringing up customers. If its after 5 I'm usually cleaning and ringing up customers. Citi Trends has definitely taught me what it means to give good customer service. They really teach you to focus on the customers and I've grown to really love seeing people walk in and out of our doors with smiles on their faces. My managers are the best. They really push you to do your best. They're fair and stand behind who's right. There are no popularity contests at my job so everybody gets treated the same and because of that I've become very good friends with my managers as well as coworkers. Over the past 9 months that I've been there we've all grown to become a little family. We have the "random" one (me) the goofy one, the aggressive but still nice one, the calm one, the overdramatic, and the gossip. The hardest part of my job is not spending my entire check there. Every time I get paid I spend the majority of it on clothes I don't need. But the most enjoyable part of my job is putting smiles on people's faces and laughing, joking and working with my managers and coworkers.
Pros
teamwork, feeling of accomplishment, great managers
Cons
spend most of my check at my job
Never recommend this company to anyone
2nd assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, INJune 19, 2012
This company taught me that what you want is not what you are going to get. In my store, rules were frequently broken by employees because they wanted to. Management, on every level, turned a blind eye to it every time. There was little, if any, consistency between how the company designated and taught something was to be done and how it was actually to be done. Restrictions placed on management for elimination of shoplifters was extreme, to the point that the only real thing we could do was watch them walk out the door with our stuff. Unless we personally witnessed them, in the open, stealing our merchandise, we could not stop them.
Hours were Ok. Citi Trends will never be the first store open or the last store closed in their area. They do seem to care about the staff that way. Bonus days for employee discounts were rare. Just because you were scheduled to work until the store closed didn't mean you'd get off then. It took an hour to close the stores, and during mad sales times, like the holidays, it took much longer - sometimes up to 4 hours.
Pros
acceptable hours
Cons
ethical concerns, discrimination issues, tolerance of unacceptable practices
Theirs always something to do!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SC- San Antonio TexasAugust 27, 2013
I love love working for this company in South Carolina I had a Manager that hired me because she felt I would be in the Corporate store as District manager soon 3-5 years tops.There was opportunity after opportunity and I took everything that was offered.From being over different departments to doing a lay out before the VP showed up to review our store, I also traveled to different city's in the area to help and learn how a traditional store work verses the new citi lights store where I worked. I moved up and move away before my store manager and mentor could see me advance to a much higher level. I transferred from South Carolina to a Texas store. Although the excitement was still there for me to move up in the company Management was not the same and the store was horrible, not that I gave up I just didn't have a Manager that wanted positive change for her store. The shrinkage was high enough to fire everyone and start with a new crew. Customers was getting handle rudely.My opinion really didn't matter so when I seen a proper window to leave after giving all I could I took it to look for a better opportunity were theirs growth long term. Although my original store would love for me to return my home is Texas now.
Pros
better experience in south carolina
Cons
bad management in texas
I worked very hard, I was flexable, and tolerable of various situations
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 2, 2015
This would have been an awesome place to work for me for the time being. But the store manager had a serious attitude problem. He was unprofessional and did not care about the attitude that he gave the customers. He would constantly argue with the customers and would not meet the customers demands or requests. He was always pressuring us with hard work loads that even him, himself could not complete. Like redoing the whole shoe and ladies clothing department in one day, while working with customers,taking vendor orders and deliveries, while dealing with the police and customers over theft. He himself could not do this at least not in one day. He would often talk negative about the employees behind their backs and it got to the point where the workers would not do what the mangers say because of this, we would tell him and nothing would get done. The store close at 9 but we would not get out of there until midnight or later because he wanted the store spotless, but he would not help he would just leave before his scheduled shift was over, all the time.Just a lot of hogwash and chaos.
Cons
ungreatful for the time invested in company and does not care about the customers
Main cashier
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJanuary 28, 2014
A typical day at work was fun and very enjoyable. Everyone was fun and alive. Everyday is a day of learning, you learn new things, how to do things different and how to work well with others. The management actually cares about their employees and get in deep when one is in trouble or need someone to talk to. Sometimes the managers have shown aside of unprofessional ethics, but when it comes down to it they actually cared, it wasn't just a job to them. We were all considered a second family to one another. Although some coworkers have came and gone, for whatever reason may be, we've all maintained a positive and incredible relationship outside our work. Hardest part with my job would've been probably the drama that has surfaced throughout working, but the excitement of my job and the enjoyment I received made the drama not matter. I enjoyed having to learn about every person whom I used to work for and every customer whom came in on a regular basis or new customers whom may have returned during my time there.
Pros
fun, friendly atmosphere
Cons
nosy people
Sales Associate or Slave?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 28, 2014
CitiTrends is an okay job if you're a college student like myself. The hours are flexible and depending on your store size the number of hours you receive is also reasonable. CitiTrends attracts a certain type of customer. So expect ignorance, switched tags and theft. Welcome to retail. The hardest part of the job is being expected to do so much and being compensated so little. With no discount I might add. You cannot wear clothing with brands and sadly the employee appreciation days only guarantee a 20% discount on merchandise. the most enjoyable part of the job would have to be THE CLOTHES. (Well for me) I enjoy visual merchandising and working alongside my manager to create visually appealing outfits for display that customers appreciate and buy. Management is kinda loopy , only because they also are being pressed for sales among other things and often times neglect the work/home balance of the associates. Other than that CitiTrends will definitely give you retail experience and customer service skills.
Pros
flexible, 20% annual employee appreciation day, visual merchandising, experience
Cons
no discount, low pay, poor management
Productive, Fun workplace yet can be very stressful at times.
Retail, Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lima, OHMay 31, 2012
A typical day at Citi Trends from begining to end is taking care of our customers. Customer satisfaction is #1. ALWAYS! Even if it means to bite our tongue and suffer through some of the harsh verbal lashings from some of our customers, (which is one of the hardest parts of the job) they are still our main focus. We greet each & everyone of them with a welcome once they enter the store and send them on there way with a Thank-you for shopping at Citi Trends before they leave our business. We, as a team, must work together to make sure that the store is clean, neat & shopable at all times and that the merchandise is in clear site. We are to always be at the cutomers descretion when needed. Watching out for shop lifters would be another one of the hardest parts of the job. One of the most enjoyable parts about the job for me would be the different variety of people that I meet on a daily basis. It's almost like you don't know any strangers on that job.
Very productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCMarch 26, 2015
Come in, count the money in whatever register you are to be on. Afterwards, go to the back and put 4 boxes onto a cart and roll it to wherever the manager wanted you to be. Start unloading the boxes and putting the clothes on the hangers, sensor them (if needed), and placed in the correct section of the store. At the same time, eyes were to be at the front where the registers were. If a customer is ready to check out, you have to stop what you're doing to help that customer. Additionally, you had to have done 4 boxes in an hour, and continue to work on more boxes until you can leave. Also had to assist customers with whatever they needed help with. All this together was stressful. If you didn't work on your boxes fast enough you would get in trouble. Felt like the pay should've been a little more if there was THAT much work to do

Co-workers all got along, except with the store manager. She didn't want us to really converse with each other while working, and she wasn't very nice.
Great place for a first job. Gives excellenct training for new employees. Great staff teamwork.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAMay 7, 2015
A typical day of work would include unboxing shipment that had been received and putting new merchandise out onto the floor during the daytime hours. During the afternoon and evening hours we would recover the store from that days customers and make sure everything was in order for the next business day.
I learned how to give excellent customer service and how to communicate with my co-workers and the customers we would have come into the store.
The management was great. They were very easy to talk to and express concerns or praise for different things that would happen in the workplace.
The hardest part of the job was doing an excellent recovery after an extremely rough day of a never ending customer stream that would mess up the store pretty bad.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make friends with my co-workers and our very frequent customers that would come in.
Pros
Long break times and generosity of management for days needed off.
Cons
Long Sunday shifts with very early morning breaks and no afternoon breaks.
horrible place to work for
SLAVE (Former Employee) –  FORT PIERCE, FLOctober 29, 2013
the management is horrible in fort pierce florida. they hardly speak English and only hire Spanish people until they say its time to hire someone of COLOR!
THE MANAGER STEALS MONEY AND BLAMES THE ASSOCIATES! SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES!
THEY FOLLOW CUSTOMERS AROUND THE STORE IF THEY ARE NOT SPANISH. THIS IS THE MOST UNPROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE ANY ONE COULD EVER ENDUR!
THIS STORE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN OR THEY NEED TO GET RID OF ALL EMPLOYEES SPECIALLY MANAGEMENT!!
OVER ALL REVIEW IS 0 ZERO STARS BECAUSE THERE IS NOT ONE GOOD THING TO SAY ABOUT THIS DUMP OF COMPANY.
ALL MERCHANDISE ALWAYS COMES IN DAMAGED EVEN MOLDY AND THEY STILL PUT IT ON THE FLOOR FOR SALE. THEY DISCUSS ME BIG TIME. OH AND THEY DONT EVEN PAY 7.50 A HOUR THEY GIVE YOU 7.49 AND SLAVE YOU FROM THE TIME YOU GET THERE TIL YOU LEAVE!

P.S I HAD TO GIVE 1 STAR BECAUSE IT WOULDNT LET ME POST WITH ZERO AND THEY DONT EVEN DESERVE A HALF OF STAR!!!!
Depends on who you're working with
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 11, 2014
I started working for Citi Trends this year and when I first started, I loved it. It was vibrant and energetic, the customers were regulars and I immediately felt like part of a family. Then, the manager at the time found another job. A new manager was brought in and was initally very pleasant and willing to work with us how we were used to things. I do understand that sometimes change has to be made to accomplish a common goal. I also do however believe that there is a certain respect that is supposed to be held to every adult human being no matter the professional relationship. The new District Manager I work for is also very rude. I am currently looking for another job because I make $8.50/ hour as a member of management. I don't have any management experience but I do think that that's a little shallow for the amount of responsibility we obtain.
Pros
networking opportunities through customer interaction
Cons
compensation