Citizen Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Productive school environment and excellent lesson plans
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2016
For the most part, the Citizen Schools program at the Bronx Writing Academy is fairly decent. The program's organizers are helpful and quite punctual regarding the organization of lesson plans for the students' afterschool curricula.
Learning and a Creative environment to grow
John W. McCormack Middle School: Teacher Resident (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 15, 2016
Citizen School helps middle school students to grow academically and provide them with the opportunity to work with professionals from different work fields through apprenticeships. Working for Citizen Schools has given me the chance to inspire children, build strong relationships with students and parents, and has inspired me to become a professional teacher.
Pros
Work on a team
Citizen Schools Experience
National Teaching Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 18, 2016
This is job is good for college graduates that do not have any experience with working with children and wants to gain experience in teaching children, gaining professional skills, and volunteering for the community.
A Very Rewarding Job
Citizen Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 30, 2015
I worked with Citizen Schools for 10 week bursts over the course of 2015. It is not a walk in the park and has given me a whole new respect for the work that my teachers do day in and day out. The first couple of weeks are tough, as you have to adjust and remember how to deal with energetic middle school students. However, once you gain their respect and create a bond with them, your work life becomes so much easier. I typically come in around 4, when the program starts. The students do a warm up and we begin the lesson. This semester, I did a joint Math and Basketball apprenticeship which allowed the students to go outside to release their pent up energy. By far, the most enjoyable part is watching the students finally grasp a basketball skill, or understand a math problem. I may be just a high school student, but I have never been happier to teach.
Great Interactions but schedule may be loose
Volunteer, Solar Cars Apprenticeship Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 14, 2015
Great way to give back to the Boston community by teachings middle school students in the area! The team that is involved in the program is friendly and really care about the students. The program seems to be real, and really depends on how the teachers get involved with lesson planning. Sometimes, it may seem the schedule is a little too loose.
Energetic and Productive Educator
Deputy Campus Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2015
The students are never the problem. Overall, I LOVE what I do. Feeling like I'm on the forefront of Education reform is great to me. However, with little to no support from regional offices, I feel stunted in my professional growth.
Pros
Young and positive environment
Cons
Massive turnover and no communication
Amazing!
8th Grade Academy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 30, 2015
I still talk about that job and all the things that I learned there. Although it is a fellowship for only two years you will learn so much. I learned communication, peer management, classroom management a long with a lot more things.
Pros
Learning so much in two years.
Cons
Having to manage so many things at once.
Great organization and vision
National Teaching Fellow /Regional Data Lead (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 3, 2015
Citizen Schools is a great organization. Their mission to help inner city middle schools closing the opportunity gap and building long terms goal with the students is outstanding. The apprenticeship that they have when volunteers from corporate businesses come in and teach the students their skills is amazing. It helps the students open up and broaden their horizon to more opportunities.
Fun work place.
Social Studies Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 2, 2015
I learned a lot through Citizens School. My students were the focal point at all times and my managers ensured that we work together to ensure that our students academic and emotional needs were met.
Volunteer Opportunity
Volunteer Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2015
This was a volunteer opportunity I did and a great way to get involved in your local community.
Productive non profit organization helping the inner community kids
Helpdesk Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 10, 2014
This office can be very fast paced or very slow pace. I have learned a lot of customer service skills. That I can take with me to better my career. My co workers are very dedicated to what they do. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that being a former Citizen Schools student that the program does work and now I can see the effort that the staff put into there program
Pros
friendly staff members
Cons
non profit
Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 25, 2014
I love Citizen schools they gave me great opportunities to grow and learn but they didn't have room to advance my career.
long hours, little appreciation
Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 5, 2014
This is a two year fellowship but I quit after completing one year. There was a lot micromanagement. My work hours were 8am-6pm M-Thurs and 8 am-2 pm on Fridays. On top of that the teaching fellows are expected to work on the weekends to make sure we are working the 50-55 hours Americorps "requires." Work/life balance was horrible.
Pros
teaching apprenticeships with citizen teachers
Great working and learning experience
Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 21, 2014
The staff was great. The students were challenging but worth every second of it.
Good job right out of college
teaching fellow (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 29, 2014
I didn't have a lot of experience but wanted to continue working with youth. They do give you a lot of training but it is a hard job that doesn't pay a lot and requires a lot of hours.
Working with students
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2013
The day would begin with meeting up with students, starting with a team-builder. The rest of the day consisted around academic support and community building. Managment was very adamant about the culture, so training was often. This helped co-workers to work as a group, but also indepedently. This was to implemented for learners to model.

The hardest pary of my job was learning how to deal with a clasroom of metamorphosing teenagers and the most enjoyable was succeeding at inspiring one for the betterment.
Pros
flexability
Cons
healthcare, short lunches
Difficult, fulfilling and worth the experience
Teaching Fellow, Regional Academic Program Lead (Former Employee) –  Campbell, CASeptember 3, 2013
The two year fellowship at Citizen Schools is perfect for recent graduates or people looking to start their career in education and non-profits.
Hard work, long hours, good cause, always interesting
Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 3, 2013
If you want to go into Ed, this is a good organization to be involved with. It is challenging and offers many opportunities for growth, but the amount of work is extremely taxing. I have no ill feelings toward the organization, but I had to exit after one year because it truly took everything out of me and I had no time for advancing my own education or having a social life. I am not someone who will be pursuing a career in education however- if I were, I most likely would have stayed.
Pros
good people.
Cons
insane workload (varies on location)
Good intentions, mediocre execution and results
Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 22, 2013
I spent most of my time preparing for classes and behavior management strategy. Communication with volunteers was essential to my work as well. Some of my co-workers were great, while many were not the most competent. The most difficult aspect of the job was juggling so many things at once. My direct supervisor was great, but she has left the organization. I learned an incredible amount about teaching and working in low-income public schools, but not much professional development.
Pros
health insurance is great
Teach middle school students at after school program.
Teaching Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 5, 2013
A typical day begins with a staff meeting about information that will be due during the week and the schedule during the week. For three hours after school I help students with homework and tutoring, teach a lesson and facilitate recess. I keep in contact with families, volunteer teachers and school day teachers to work in the best interests of the students academically and socially. My co-workers are other teachers who are very supportive and always wiling to share best practices. The toughest part of the job is fitting all the lesson planning, contacting outside resources, and meetings with the 27 hours I am allotted each week. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help low income middle school students see how important college is and to begin to work towards that at this age.
Pros
i get to plan about 40 percent of my hours.
Cons
not enough hours to do my job the best i can