Citizens Bank

Citizens Bank Employer Reviews

upbeat office
Manager of Credit Cards Team (Current Employee), pittsburgh paNovember 24, 2014
Pros: depends on your manager
Cons: depends on your manager
good company to work for, i learned as much as i could. work life balance could have been a little better. but i have nothing but respect for the staff and management.
Take note of the high turnover and beware
Senior Personal Banker (Former Employee), Rhode IslandNovember 22, 2014
Pros: out of work at 5pm. can't beat that.
Cons: no payouts, dwindling benefits, and deaf/mute/blind upper management
Before reading this, please keep two things in mind: I was a top performer for this company and have no problem with sales. I always made my goals and never had any issues making them. That said...

I worked for this company for years and have never experienced anything so horrible at a financial institution. The company lays off entire departments at random (the most recent one being the fraud claims department!) and under-staffs its branches to the point where you will not get a single day off. Actually, you'll be lucky to get lunch. Teller counters designed for a team of 12 will have 1 to 2 people manning all windows simultaneously, making each day extremely stressful.

The compensation package is a sham and top performers are routinely screwed out of our bonuses. It sounds excellent on paper; you can potentially earn six figures if you hit all your goals consistently. However, I hit every goal every quarter upwards of 245% for years and never received a single bonus. The company will do whatever they can to take away your quarterly payouts, including punishing you for the failure of others. For example, they will revoke your bonuses if there is a lazy colleague in your branch who is put on a warning for low sales performance. Everyone else loses their bonus; YOU'RE A TEAM AFTER ALL!

Every account you open, the incentive management department will try to argue a reason you should not get credit for it, and the reasons are nuts. For example, if the computers are down (and they will be) and you open the account manually on paper (as you will often have to do), they will argue – more... that you technically did not open it since someone in ops will set it up digitally based off your paperwork and you will lose credit for all of your hard work. every IRA must be disputed or you will not get credit for them, as well as every federal fiduciary account and every donation account. No particular reason why this is the case was ever presented to me.

Success is punished to no end here, and even if you outsell everyone in your region, they will try to micro manage you into selling the way they want. Upper management demands all sales be done in the most awkward and plastic way possible; complete with verbatim scripts and sales notes/check lists that you literally fill out right in front of the customer (and they will check weekly to make sure you're filling them out). If you do not follow this flawed idiotic model for sales, you can be written up and (surprise!) lose your bonus.

AVOID THIS COMPANY at all costs. Look how many job openings there are and use your head! Just page one on cfgcareers.com has more banker openings than BOA, Webster, Santander, TD, Bank Newport, Bank RI, and every credit union in the entire state combined. COMBINED! – less
Banking
Operations Senior Associate (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 21, 2014
Pros: great managment
Great benefits,Profoessional enviroment, Everyone woked well together as a team most times. Realiable employers
Love the job as a business development officer
V.P. CFG Business Banking Group (Current Employee), Dover, NHNovember 18, 2014
Pros: always learning about different business within different industries
Cons: takes a toll on vehicle
A day at the bank was always a learining experience. I enjoy working with my colleagues and customers. There is always so much to learn from each other. The highlight of my day is interacting with the small business customers of the bank and prospects. Having to travel to their place of business and getting to know about the owners on a personal level and the operational aspect of their business, makes my job complete. Not to mention how i can add value to a business that is struggling or one that is successful. Using the sales process, DRIVE, has really helped me to succeed and uncover opportunities I might have missed in Discovery stage with the client. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to support my clients in a manner that will help them to succeed and bring their business to the next level.
Productive and fast paced environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Butler, PaNovember 17, 2014
Citizens Bank was overall a good place to work, although, there was lack of the motivation for management for employees to move up the ladder. The atmosphere was a man for himself atmosphere. There was too many "i's" in TEAM and not enough of togetherness. The position was sold as a banking position where it was 90% sales.
just say no
ABM (Former Employee), New YorkNovember 17, 2014
Pros: health benefits are ok
Cons: pressure to sell even when product not needed
While I'm sure there are good locations to work in, branches would not be one of them. I previously worked for Citziens, and stupidly came back against the advice of former colleagues still stuck there. I had the opportunity to work in 3 different branches as an ABM.(Relocating each time) The pressure to make goal can be compared to working in a sweat shop. Senior management has developed 'creative' ways to get the customers' money. it's not what's best for the customer, it's what's best for Citizens bank. Sustained overdraft fees should be illegal or at least changed. Mandatory call nights result in wasted time unless you consider making customers mad a success. Greating each customer with the greeting "welcome to Citiziens' even when you know them personally also doesn't help. We were compared to the 'Welcome to Moes' greeting with customers. To have someone critisize over and over interactions with customers is glorified babysitting. There are better jobs out there, trust me I found one.
too far back to comment -
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Riverside, RINovember 10, 2014
I was hired by a temp agency - was let go with no notice - shortage of work - drove to work to find couldn't log into my computer - after several hours, I was told that "today is your last day" - no class!
Right management and location
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee), East Amherst, NYNovember 8, 2014
Without the right location and management branch life is difficult
Team Leader (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 5, 2014
Excellent company to work for. Con is lack of advancement opportunities.
Bank in a grocery store
Banker (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 3, 2014
A typical day at work is fun because you learn from each other in a small group setting, the customers are people who live in the area and often shop in the grocery store you work in.

I learned about financial products that are offered through retail banking. This is also where I developed my selling abilities.

My past managers have all been very good at there jobs and fair on most issue.

The people I have worked with are all good natured, go-getters, and fun to be around. you see them everyday so after a while you began to form bonds.

This job was easy if you took time to learn the financial products and absorbed selling advice from management like I did. If not, then you will hate the job, quit, you won't make it any ways.
Terrible Excuse For A Bank
Manager (Former Employee), Hingham, MANovember 2, 2014
Pros: health
Cons: false data to get you out the door
Terrible just awful bank to work for widespread termination with feeble reasons and unscrupulous reports to lower the bottom line and cut costs this bank is in dire straits run far do see some of the practices coming under the spotlight in not to distant future management have no morals should be ashamed
Teller (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 31, 2014
Pros: able to network
A typical day at work was at easy Mon-Thurs. Fri-Sun was a rush due to business deposits.
What I learned was how to help customers balance their daily accounts and what type of account would benefit customers financial lifestyle.
Most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers.
Exciting and fast paced
Manager (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 30, 2014
As with other financial institutions Citizens operates in a highly regulated environment. The increased level of scrutiny along with constantly changing regulations creates opportunities for anyone who can quickly adapt.
Great Place to work
Branch Manager (Current Employee), NHOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great work life balance
Cons: lots of change and not much you can do to stop it
This is a great bank with a great process. They focus on the customer and on work life balance. Working with Citizens Bank has been a great experience.
awful
Teller (Current Employee), Newton, MAOctober 26, 2014
Pros: 30 min lunches lol
Cons: management, marketing, hr, secret shoppers, products, service, back office, cep process, etc.
sweatshop, hostile work environment, cut throat sales, pushing anything you can to customers, etc. make you say robotic phrases, turnover rate, spin you around the region to wherever they please. Huge sales goals with very little compensation for meeting them, scripted sales phrases and pitches to pitch to every customer that walks through the doors if i forgot to mention :( lol. If you want to work or try out banking Citizens is not the place!
Its a great place to work
Personal Universal Banker (Current Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: healthcare is expensive, offices are short staffed
I havent had any issue since working here. Managers are great, training could have been better but overall it is a great learning experience.
alot of changes happening right now
Senior Teller (Former Employee), Stoughton, MAOctober 22, 2014
Working to be more customer experience centered. Very aggressive sales goals.
Good Opportunites
Portfolio Performance Manager, AVP (Former Employee), Dedham, MAOctober 17, 2014
I worked with many talented people at the bank. I was given the opportunity for advancement and appreciated the trust my managers placed in me
ALL GOOD !!!! IT WAS BETTER A FEW YEARS BACK
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYOctober 15, 2014
STILL A GOOD PLACE TO WORK IF YOU DONT MIND NOT MAKING MUCH MONEY ...... GOOD PEOPLE
Layoffs
Senior Operations Associate (Former Employee), Cranston, RIOctober 15, 2014
Pros: employees are friendly
Cons: layoffs
Starting reduction of workforce in all departments. Some managers are ok, the others are micromanagers.

About Citizens Bank

Paper, plastic, or coin? No matter -- RBS Citizens Financial Group can handle it all. The company, formerly known as Citizens – Read more

Citizens Bank Photos