Citizens Bank Employee Reviews

They talk a big game...
Branch Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, New YorkOctober 18, 2012
They say they are for employees and customers, but only as far as they are making money. Management is inept below the State Director level. Decision making, especially some simple common sense decision, managers and regional just cannot make due to constraints placed on them. This job really comes down to sales and is absolutely a "what have you done for me today" type of job. If you do well, you are made to feel like a rockstar...have a bad quarter and they turn on you like a pack of wolves and start to push you out.. colleagues are leaving this market in droves due to the unreasonable expectations and incompetent regional and state management.
Pros
decent pay (but quite below industry average), colleagues
Cons
management is terrible, policies are subjective and bent to fit their immediate need.
A bank that doesnt care about its customers
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Tyrone, PAJanuary 23, 2016
Management only cares about one thing, revenue. We were told to sell everything and anything to the customers whether they need it or not! Sad.. We were told to never return fees because that hurt the profit and loss! We were trained to deceive or customers if necessary to get them in front of a financial consultant! Sad. We were always understaffed. Benefits were good. A lot of the managers in the branches are good people but they must do what upper management says. We were trained to tell customers that savings accounts come with checkings, almost force them to take one even when they(customers) said no. Bonuses were a joke. I nearly doubled my quota for three months and made $212...
Pros
A lot of time off.
Cons
Poor management, poor morale, terrible bonuses.
Fun company to work for
Teller (Former Employee) –  Ossipee, NHMarch 16, 2013
My day consisted of helping customers with their transactions and suggesting other products I felt would fit their needs.
I learned a lot about the financial process and how it affects our customers.
Management was always finding ways to help us be successful and improve our skills in order to move forward within the company.
My co-workers were great. We had a great sense of team work and everyone looked out for each other.
The hardest part was leaving the company for another opportunity in a different field.
I loved working with the customers and building a relationship with them. Not only did my co-workers feel like a part of the family, the customers did as well.
Pros
excellent benefits package and vacation time
Cons
not much room for advancement due to low turnover.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batesville, ARJanuary 8, 2012
I loved working for citizens bank. The management was consistent and predictable so it was easy understanding what they want long before they asked. Because I was the only assistant is the front office, although I was meant for the overwhelmed debit card, and online application department, I processed work for multiple departments; therefore, I bounced from one office/workspace to another. This job was a job for working high school seniors so there wasn't that many hours but the hours were perfect for my schedule--after school and early mornings on weekends. The job left plenty of room for free time or for a family man or woman, time for the family.
Pros
professional, consistent, respectable, great schedule
Cons
not many hours, no given workspace
productive
In-store Banker II (Former Employee) –  new york, nyJuly 20, 2015
Overall responsibility for daily operations, including management of Teller, Teller manger, and Customer Service staff
Provided sales leadership to ensure franchise growth through personal example and regular monitoring
Under guidance of Branch manager hired, managed out, reviewed, and counseled staff
Scheduled Bankers/Customer Service Representatives to ensure adequate coverage
Responsible for keeping branch in compliance with all bank policies and procedures and prepared branch for internal audits
Monitored branch service quality levels and coached staff to achieve appropriate levels
Responded to complex customer complaints and questions
Opened/closed branch
Pros
free accounts, perks, pto
Cons
short breaks, distacne, account issues
collegue review
Assistant Branch Manager II (Current Employee) –  Cromwell, CTDecember 30, 2013
When I started at Citizens seven years ago there was more team building. The company seemed to be forward thinking and had good programs for the employees. There were community events that we sponsored and more moral supporting events. Everything has cut back. Commission payout grids have been changed four times in the last three years. We continue to have to deliver higher levels service with less people and less compensation. The front line has been left to suffer and expected to do more with less. It is difficult to want to work harder for a company that makes it harder to achieve their goals on a daily bases and does not give the resources to complete it.
Pros
conventional banking hours
Cons
low pay, difficult to achieve goal set, unclear direction
Great work life balance
Project Manger (Current Employee) –  Cranston, RIDecember 28, 2015
A typical day would start off with daily team meeting to assign tasks, discuss progress from previous day and obstacles.The team/co-workers were highly skilled competent dedicated friendly and helpful. This provided a peaceful environment to work. Flexibility with working hours and remote options were great. Management was always available for guidance and support thus keeping the team highly motivated.
The challenge lied in working with 30 different vendors and trying to keep them content and happy. Most of the time finding the right resource on either end and bringing them together required lot of effort and patience.
To solve this problem of constant search,created a document capturing details of vendors and technical aspects.
I would rate Citizens overall rating as a 5 star
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Latham, NYMay 4, 2014
Working for Citizens I would rate Job Work/Life Balance a 5 star. We make work as fun as possible even on tough days. A typical day at work could be everything from servicing new and existing customer, coaching colleagues, buddy time (helping tellers how to recognize opportunities for referral and cross sells. In management, I've learned how to do 1/1 with other co-worker, deal with conflicts and oversee and be accountable for not only personal goals but branch overall goals with can be the hardest. The most enjoyable part of my job is bring satisfaction to customers and co-workers.
Benefits are great, payouts for achieving goals are very rewarding.
Pros
recognitions, reward, payouts
Cons
time for family, breaks for doctor appt
Productive and very fair with my school schedule
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 14, 2015
I've been with Citizens Bank Savings and Trust a little over 7 months to 8 months now. I am currently a bank teller that supervise my own location. A typical day on the job is repetitive I count and ship money as well as processing transactions everyday. The only thing that I wish I could've done is open up accounts. I'm pretty advanced for a bank teller especially coming into this position with no teller experience. I'm looking for a new job in the Rutherford County area due to me relocating for school. I'm looking for a job that matches or offer me a better deal with great pay, benefits, and are flexible with my school schedule.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, great benefits, and most importantly great pay
Cons
Short breaks and short staffed
Banker/ Opened new accounts.
Banker I/Sales (Former Employee) –  New JerseyApril 15, 2014
On a daily basis we had to solicit customers in the isles of the Acme Market to open new checking accounts or apply for new loans while they were food shopping. I also did teller work at the window. The managers well some were wonderful and others stole your leads. The hardest part of the job was pulling people from the isle to open an account and then you had to sell them a loan, credit card and savings account, very boring. Your commission was hideous. I'm use to large sales with a nice commission check. The good part about the job was the benefits and it was a learning experience. I learned a lot about handling money more efficient and had great benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
walking the acme isles.
Great learning experience with a few difficulties
Personal Banker Universal (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 28, 2015
The daily experience allows for a large quantity of involvement with customers as the daily transaction average is 500 per banker. This allows to learn how to deal with many different problems with many different points of views and personalities.
Co-workers are generally easy to work with but have individual agendas when it comes to their sales goals.
The hardest part of the job is the hours. Branch has the latest hours and is open 7 days a week.
The most enjoyable part of the job is simply helping your customers. Their satisfaction is enough to help you through any hard day and is not forgotten.
Management has too much authority when it comes to career advancement and protocol.
What I learned
Small Business Loan Analyst (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RINovember 6, 2012
I learned something special: Their Credo. Customers, Colleagues and Community as the “Three Cs”:

• Customers: We work for them. If they like us, if they trust us, if they believe in us, if they think we are a good bank and a trusted advisor, we all grow and prosper.

• Colleagues: We want to be a rewarding place to work. We believe a highly engaged, diverse team of colleagues will deliver an exceptional experience for our customers.

• Community: When the community prospers, we all prosper. We invest in places and people we know. We give back. We encourage community involvement and volunteerism.

Everyone at Citizens Bank is expected to live the Credo every day and guide our actions. We are expected to be honest and ethical in all that we do.
Productive and fun place to work
Banker (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 29, 2015
Started as a teller however my regional manager offered me a promotion to be a teller manager in a different branch making a lot more than i was. I had a lot of responsibilities by not only meeting my own sales goal but by also helping and making sure my tellers also had made their goal. I was responsible for the cash that came in that i had to order and stay within a certain branch limit amount. Had to sell the money to the tellers whenever they needed it or were running low. Had to basically treat the tellers as friends without being friends so they would not take advantage that I learned from when I was a supervisor at Polo Factory Stores.
Pros
busy environment went by fast
Cons
had to leave because of a family emergency
Ridiculous goals, no work/family balance
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  NYJune 30, 2014
I am blessed to work at a branch with nice people, and deal mostly with nice customers, BUT I am sick and tired of the pressure to push products on customers even on busy days when there are lines of customers that don't have anymore patience left to listen to you after waiting. Most branches are understaffed, mostly because of rapid turnover (unhappy employees leaving due to the stress and lack of recognition or understanding by upper management). Burn-out happens rather quickly because it is hard to keep up a sales momentum day in/day out, which is what is needed to meet/exceed sales goals.
Pros
decent base pay and benefits
Cons
no work/family balance, high sales goals, pushy sales expectations.
A fast paced commercial bank with great leadership.
Advanced Teller (Current Employee) –  Exeter, NHMarch 6, 2013
A typical day is between 8am-6pm with a 30min. lunch break. A great place to hone any kind of customer service skills and finance management. Most managers are pleasant and understanding to customers and employees, a role-model figure. Typically working with between 2-8 other tellers/bankers on any given day. Sales goals are a priority and can sometimes be hard to achieve, but are very rewarding due to the incentive program that is in place for exceeding goals. Citizens Bank usually gives about 3 weeks of vacation for a full time employee per year.
Pros
free accounts, discounted rates, vacation time, holidays off, and incentives.
Cons
hours worked, under staffing, and base pay rate.
Bank in a grocery store
Banker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 3, 2014
A typical day at work is fun because you learn from each other in a small group setting, the customers are people who live in the area and often shop in the grocery store you work in.

I learned about financial products that are offered through retail banking. This is also where I developed my selling abilities.

My past managers have all been very good at there jobs and fair on most issue.

The people I have worked with are all good natured, go-getters, and fun to be around. you see them everyday so after a while you began to form bonds.

This job was easy if you took time to learn the financial products and absorbed selling advice from management like I did. If not, then you will hate the job, quit, you won't make it any ways.
energetic fun and fast paced
Assistant Branch Manager/Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 16, 2012
A day consited of assisting customers with teller transactions, setting up appointments going over a financial funnel uncovering their finiancial needs. a strong team was necessary to attain all expected and required goals. I learned to never judge a book by its cover. Managent would do their best with flexibility not just to attain branch goals but also personal reasons. Hardest part of my employment there was working every weekend and holidays. the most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers achieve their mile stones in life (i.e homeownership, first business) and there were no two days a-like.
Pros
commission, bonus
Cons
working every weekend and holiday
overall good place to work
Senior Personal Banker Universal (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PaDecember 6, 2014
a typical day at work entails, handling all different types of clients via customer service to complete transactions with an end result of complete satisfaction. What I've learned in this particular job is patience. The hardest part of this job is solving the clients problem but, once a resolution is set comes job satisfaction from being able to help the client. The co workers all have different personalities and being able to be a team player and overcome adversary in this setting is crucial. What i enjoy most about this job is the level of responsibility and setting and meeting the company set goals. My manager is good leader and i always learn new things from her.
Fast paced detail and sales oriented workplace
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTMarch 13, 2013
Citizen's Bank is part of a huge multi-national company. The sales goals were extremely demanding and the corporate culture stringent. While the larger company, RBS was (in my opinion) out of touch with the day to day lives of it's employees the management team and coworkers at the Rutland Branch were available, supportive and willing to listen to any concerns any employee might have.
The hardest part of the job was the extremely aggressive sales goals. The best part was helping customers who came to you every day for their banking needs and became as much a part of your day as your coworkers.
Pros
enjoyed most of the people i worked with
Cons
no affordable health care for part time
Some great people work there
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batesville, ARDecember 26, 2015
Management needs a lot of help. There are several people in management positions who have no business being there. They don't know or care about the numbers and are only focused on moving themselves and certain employees they like up the chain even if they don't have the qualifications. One in particular had an employee that couldn't get along with anyone she worked with, so she put her in a management job so she wouldn't have to get along with anyone. This bank has many people who move to other banks in the area because of the working conditions, but it is a rare occurrence that someone moves to Citizens from another bank.
Pros
some really good people work there
Cons
management