The Director of Development and Advancement has principal responsibility for designing and implementing a multi-faceted annual advancement plan for the Citizens League. This work includes all aspects of the annual membership campaign, concentrating on major unrestricted gifts from individuals. In addition, the responsibilities include fundraising for general operating support and special events, programs, and policy studies from foundations, businesses, and organizations; enhancement of the Citizens League’s planned giving and endowment program; maximizing organizational advancement opportunities presented by external and internal plans; coordination and growth of the Civics @ Work initiative, and external positioning, communications, and message development work. The Director of Development and Advancement will manage the Development committee and all related work groups, work closely with the Communications and Membership committees, Board of Directors, and policy staff, and supervise the Engagement and Communications Managers.
This is a senior staff position.
The Director of Development and Advancement supervises the work of the Advancement Team, which currently includes the Engagement Manager and the Communications Manager.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Organize, build, and cultivate a base of individual donors. Direct major gifts and planned giving program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors. Provide support to the Executive Director in solicitation of major gift prospects. Meet or exceed annual unrestricted fundraising goal from individual donors as established by Board of Directors.
- Lead fundraising from businesses, organizations, and foundations for general operating support, including the creation of a grant calendar, foundation prospecting, and proposal and report writing.
- Develop yearly membership outreach, renewal, and retention strategies to ensure adequate growth and retention, and coordinate implementation efforts by Membership Assistant.
- Assist project and policy staff in developing project-specific fundraising strategies and target lists. Participate in grant writing, reporting, and other implementation as needed.
- Develop and implement strategic projects that relate to overall organizational advancement, e.g. a plan to maximize partnership, communication, and fundraising opportunities around the “Minnesota at 2025” endeavor.
- Continue to build the structure and function of the Advancement team (membership, development, communications).
- Increase business support of and connection to Citizens League’s policy projects, the “Civics @ Work” employee membership and programming initiative, and the organization as a whole.
- Supervise publications and other communications to increase the overall visibility of the Citizens League.
- Supervise membership program to ensure adequate retention rate and prospect-to-member conversion rate.
- Direct fundraising drives and appeals as needed.
- Ensure that membership outreach, participation, and development are aligned with policy work.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and other volunteers in development activities.
- Coordinate and manage fundraising and donor appreciation events.
- Maintain strategic oversight of member/donor database.
- Create and implement meaningful stewardship practices and internal development policies.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent Citizens League at external events as needed
- Represent Citizens League at Minnesota Active Citizenship Initiative workshops as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Passion for and commitment to the Citizens League’s mission and operating principles.
- Five-year track record of progressively responsible experience in development, including major gifts fund raising
- Demonstrated capacity building a base of contributors and donors in any related field.
- Extensive knowledge of development principles, fund raising techniques, and ethics.
- Demonstrated ability with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Powerpoint).
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Collaborative and flexible approach and a team-oriented management style.
- Excellent managerial, fiscal and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to inspire, manage and partner with board members and other fundraising volunteers
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of existing and new community contacts
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage details
- Master’s Degree in nonprofit management, fundraising, public policy, or a related field
- Demonstrated proficiency in prospect and donor research, and the use of relational databases.
- Experience using Salesforce.com in a nonprofit setting
- Experience fundraising for a member-based organization
- Successful design of an endowment or planned giving program
- Demonstrated capacity fundraising from corporations and foundations, and grant-writing experience
- Experience working with the Citizens League and/or Citizens League involvement
Resume and one-page cover letter should be emailed no later than 5 p.m., April 12. No phone calls, please.
For 60 years, the Citizens League has created common ground across parties and ideologies to solve some of the biggest challenges facing...