City Barbeque Employee Reviews

Managment is rigged for family
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 1, 2017
Only family is management and everything is rigged for them. Example being they take 6-7 week vacations out of the year and they get all the hours. Also everything is fit to their schedule for when they wanna work.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Managment, low hours, get sent home alot
Fast growing company, but not in all departments
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 8, 2017
Recently was bought up by a private equity firm that is forcing some fast growth, this is causing some growing pains and high turnover. Very dependent on department, but is a stretched a little thin due to this.
Seasonal
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHAugust 1, 2017
Only worked there to help with the grand opening out of high school, I did marketing type of jobs when I graduated, and then found city BBQ, and just did it for the summer until they didn't need the help anymore.
Team Work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 15, 2017
I have only worked at City Barbeque for a few days now, but I can already tell you that working for City barbeque is the best choice I've made. With Good pay, Good management, and most of all, a Good team, there is no way you could fail. Also, there is plenty of room for promotion as long as you put in the work.
Pros
good pay, good management, teamwork
Cons
no cons
Fun and supportive work environment
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fishers, IN and Greenwood, INJuly 3, 2017
Plenty of room for growth and to move up in the company. For the most part a supportive and encouraging staff. Great culture values and a focus on serving the guest over simply making the sale.
Pros
free meals, flexible schedules, overall nice environment
Cons
messy/dirty, hectic and straining rushes
Good work environment
Grove city (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHJune 24, 2017
Like working there for the most part learned a lot of different techniques ways to cook meat. I like learning about the different ways to make the foods like helping customer and also enjoyed meeting new people
Fun and easygoing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHJune 21, 2017
Great place to work for students, and those with families. Shifts are flexible, and people are nice. Don't expect to move up quickly, though. GM can be an a**.
Pros
Holiday parties, and shift flexibility.
Cons
No breaks, little job advancement
Best bbq ever
Front of House (Current Employee) –  Centerville, OHMay 17, 2017
Working at City Barbecue has been one of the best jobs I've ever had, I wish they had one in Florida so I could just transfer instead of full out leaving the company. I love my mangers, they care about everyone who walks through the door. It's a fast paced dinning restaurant. I love the speed of service we could provide. The freshest food as well! I loved pulling food right out of the oven or smokers and seeing customers eyes light up. Giving out free samples, and a cake here or there is so nice. All over just loved being there and hate the fact that I have to leave.
Pros
Free food, bonuses, and the love from fellow coworkers
Cons
nothing
Fun job with horrible management
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHMay 2, 2017
I loved working at City BBQ, and I worked my tail off nearly every day there. I was unhappy with some of the things I was experiencing, yet talking to my managers did NOTHING. I was told to keep quiet and just do my job, even though people drank beer on the job, screamed and cussed out coworkers, and honestly, did whatever they wanted. One fatal night when addressing these problems to my manager, I was constantly interrupted, ignored, and laughed at when I started to cry due to my anxiety and frustration. When I told my manager it wasn't funny, she laughed harder, so I walked away to take a minute to calm down. When I returned, my other manager had fired me due to "yelling, screaming, and cussing" when I did none of those things. My GM didn't care either, and I did indeed contact Human Resources.
So if you want disrespectful managers, coworkers, and employees, sounds like the job for you.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Horrible management, careless employees, rude customers, and no care for your overall wellbeing
Productive and fun workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHMarch 23, 2017
The best company I've ever worked for. They care about their employees and the culture of the company. The guests are the main focus and that's what I loved about it! Such a fun place to work! I would recommend this job to anyone!
Pros
Free lunches, fun management, fun shifts
Cb
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCMarch 16, 2017
It was a good job for the time being, it was a very good work experience and learned alot from the job itself along with the management and co-workers.
Great place co workers are great and of course the food is amazing
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHJanuary 13, 2017
Great place to work , food here is amazing and the guests are lovely . A lot of people like city barbecue so they have a cult following but these are humble guests who are just hungry so we give them what they ask for with great customer service .
Pros
Free food
I absolutely loved how laid back City BBQ was. I loved the atmosphere of the restaurant itself, the guests and my co workers.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INJanuary 11, 2017
Running the cash register was my favorite, I loved explaining the menu and the different ingredients in the food. Management was decent as far as the work they themselves put in and their constructiveness towards us employees. But they were always supportive and made working there easy. The regulars were my favorite, as well as first timers because they were eight times out of ten to return. The food is amazing.
Pros
Free food, freedom to make the customer happy (free food for compensation, free fixes, etc)
Cons
Cafeteria style dinning, no waiting tables, no tips.
Fun job but you work hard
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 28, 2016
This restaurant has had a lot of turnover with the General Managers, some good some bad. But, now that the husband and wife (owners) are deeply involved they have hired a great GM. She works well with all the employees and gets involved in all area's of the restaurant, The owners have got rid of the bad blood / trouble makers and now the job is much more enjoyable.
Pros
Much better management. Great Christmas parties
Cons
Cells phones are no longer able to be carried on us
place was not ran properly
Front Of House (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 19, 2016
The company needs major help running the store...its falling apart. its the worse its been in almost 3 years. They tell you they will do one thing and change things but they do the complete opposite
Pros
free meal
Cons
over worked
Amazing Company with outstanding food
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INSeptember 3, 2016
A typical day at work consists mainly of making sure we don't run-out of food, supplies, and making sure the staff's needs are met. The management across the market is outstanding, were a tight-knit core of hardworking Pit-Masters offering the best quality food at an affordable price. The hardest part of my job is explaining why we sold out of an item, primarily a "money meat". The enjoyable part of my day is anxiously waiting to taste the product we've produced for the day.
Pros
Complimentary food - Great market leaders - fun environment
Cons
Hours - labor intensive
Easy learning work place.
Front Counter (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 21, 2016
City Barbeque is a fast pace but easy to learn work environment. Great food and wonderful workers. If you like Barbeque this is the place to be.
Pros
Wonderful workers
Cons
poor management
So much drama
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHJuly 18, 2016
Drama is almost guaranteed in a fast food environment, but not only were the teenagers bad, even the GM and AGM's were terrible at talking about people. It was very easy to feel attacked there just for working.
Fun, High Energy Enviroment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 28, 2016
I enjoyed my time working here. Managers were always nice and treated employees like adults. No one was afraid to joke with co-workers. Everyone was helpful and worked together. Every location I worked at was clean and safety conscious.
Pros
free lunch, work with BBQ
Fun Place to Work!!
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 5, 2016
City Barbeque is a great and fun place to work! Lots of employment opportunities to succeed! Days at work are made fun by fellow co-workers. City Barbeque has taught me a lot of management skills which I will continue to take forward with me to my career. Management is awesome!! The management team cares about you! Co-workers are fun and easy to get along with. No drama problems. The job is not hard, but when the store gets busy, lines are literally out the door. The most enjoyable part of the job is, I GET TO HAVE FUN!!!!
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Breaks