City Barbeque Employee Reviews

I absolutely loved how laid back City BBQ was. I loved the atmosphere of the restaurant itself, the guests and my co workers.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INJanuary 11, 2017
Running the cash register was my favorite, I loved explaining the menu and the different ingredients in the food. Management was decent as far as the work they themselves put in and their constructiveness towards us employees. But they were always supportive and made working there easy. The regulars were my favorite, as well as first timers because they were eight times out of ten to return. The food is amazing.
Pros
Free food, freedom to make the customer happy (free food for compensation, free fixes, etc)
Cons
Cafeteria style dinning, no waiting tables, no tips.
Amazing Company with outstanding food
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INSeptember 3, 2016
A typical day at work consists mainly of making sure we don't run-out of food, supplies, and making sure the staff's needs are met. The management across the market is outstanding, were a tight-knit core of hardworking Pit-Masters offering the best quality food at an affordable price. The hardest part of my job is explaining why we sold out of an item, primarily a "money meat". The enjoyable part of my day is anxiously waiting to taste the product we've produced for the day.
Pros
Complimentary food - Great market leaders - fun environment
Cons
Hours - labor intensive
Great place co workers are great and of course the food is amazing
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHJanuary 13, 2017
Great place to work , food here is amazing and the guests are lovely . A lot of people like city barbecue so they have a cult following but these are humble guests who are just hungry so we give them what they ask for with great customer service .
Pros
Free food
Fun Place to Work!!
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 5, 2016
City Barbeque is a great and fun place to work! Lots of employment opportunities to succeed! Days at work are made fun by fellow co-workers. City Barbeque has taught me a lot of management skills which I will continue to take forward with me to my career. Management is awesome!! The management team cares about you! Co-workers are fun and easy to get along with. No drama problems. The job is not hard, but when the store gets busy, lines are literally out the door. The most enjoyable part of the job is, I GET TO HAVE FUN!!!!
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Breaks
place was not ran properly
Front Of House (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 19, 2016
The company needs major help running the store...its falling apart. its the worse its been in almost 3 years. They tell you they will do one thing and change things but they do the complete opposite
Pros
free meal
Cons
over worked
Fun, High Energy Enviroment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 28, 2016
I enjoyed my time working here. Managers were always nice and treated employees like adults. No one was afraid to joke with co-workers. Everyone was helpful and worked together. Every location I worked at was clean and safety conscious.
Pros
free lunch, work with BBQ
Easy learning work place.
Front Counter (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 21, 2016
City Barbeque is a fast pace but easy to learn work environment. Great food and wonderful workers. If you like Barbeque this is the place to be.
Pros
Wonderful workers
Cons
poor management
So much drama
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHJuly 18, 2016
Drama is almost guaranteed in a fast food environment, but not only were the teenagers bad, even the GM and AGM's were terrible at talking about people. It was very easy to feel attacked there just for working.
Great first job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHMarch 15, 2016
A good job to introduce work ethic and how to excel in the workplace. This job taught me about how to set standards for myself and how to prioritize tasks and accomplish them quickly.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks
Family environment, room to grow
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 15, 2016
City Barbeque has a unique way of motivating their employees to want to do better in and for the company by giving them abilities and powers that would otherwise be denied to employees in other restaurant chains. The most notable one would be the "$100 rule". If for whatever reason there was a mix-up with an order, either we, as the employees, messed up on our end or simply the customer decided last minute that what he/she ordered was not exactly what he/she wanted, then we could switch said item or comp it at no cost to the customer and without immediate manager approval. This led to increased ticket times and overall improved customer satisfaction as long as the rule was being used properly and not abused. However, in my experience, customer's were so excited that there wasn't such a hassle in switching and didn't have to jump through any hoops to get what they wanted, they did not abuse the rule themselves, making the overall experience of the restaurant that much more enjoyable.
Pros
Room to advance, above average pay scale, company is still growing.
Cons
Catering offers items not on restaurant menues
Productive and fast paste job.
PREP COOK AND CATERER (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OhAugust 20, 2015
City Barbeque was fun because it gave me the skills to prepare food in a safe and fast paste. I like to stay busy and being a prep cook is a sure way to stay busy. I got to know the regular customers, which aloud me to become familiar with there likes and dislikes rather quickly. Cooking is one of my talents that I love and enjoy doing. Catering was one of the funniest jobs I ever had it aloud me to learn how to cook in large amounts in a timely matter.
Pros
half off lunches, had contest for prizes
Cons
short breaks, free drinks
An Awesome work experience
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 13, 2016
A great company aimed to serve the guest. I loved to work there. Everything about it was awesome, from the employees to the guest. i enjoyed my time with this company.
Fast paced, fun work environment
Hourly employee (Current Employee) –  Centerville, OHJanuary 6, 2015
My Typical day at work consists of megatting large orders together for guests and making certain food items along guests relations. I have enjoyed improving my customer service skills and the advice of my great coworkers and management. The hardest thing about working at City Barbeque is the long hours on my feet. But the most fun part about working there to me is the great people I have met being there that out ways the long hours on my feet.
Pros
Discounts on food and great work schedule
Cons
no breaks and long hours on feet
A serious but very fun workplace
Boards/pits and dish (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJuly 17, 2014
Our work crew was very fun to work with they helped you keep your head up. It was not a very hard job once you learned each individual job and ill have to say boards was the hardest part of the job but it made your day go by fast. Our management was wonderful they made sure your work environment was not to stressful each and every day. I learned to cook,clean,do register, and prepare dishes for our customers.
Pros
Free meal once a day
Cons
not to much to complain about
Fun place to work
Dining Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INMarch 5, 2014
There was no specific job title for anyone there. I learned that minding your own business was the key to success there. With the exception of one or two managers there, the maturity level of many of them is what drove most of the employees away. There hardest part of the job was standing your ground for what was right. The best part was being able to interact with the guests who enlightened me with so much wisdom, wittiness, and gratitude.
Pros
Guest Interaction
Cons
Being able to stand up for what you believe is right
very demanding workplace, can be fun at times
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 21, 2012
Very family like with co workers and customers
treating every guest like royalty
management not always on the same page
some co workers are too comfortable as far as there job, some tend to slack off
pleasing every customer is somewhat the hardest part of the job.
getting to know your regulars is the most enjoyable part of the job
Fun and eventful place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHFebruary 20, 2015
Every employee was dedicated seemed to enjoy working there. I learned a lot about barbeque and what it is like to have provide true hospitality.
Pros
Great food, fun environment, good management
Cons
long shifts and hard physical labor
nice fun family oriented work place
Front of House (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 24, 2014
City bbq was a good work experience, i love working there all my co workers were super nice and made my day!
Pros
free lunch up to 10$
Cons
no breaks
Not a good place to make a permit place for employement
Server (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 17, 2014
It was ok to work part time for the fact it was a paycheck but that is what it was a pay check.
Pros
no pros
Cons
bad managment
awful
Front of the House (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYJanuary 7, 2014
management was terrible, pay was terrible, and didn't follow labor laws.
Pros
free food
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Barbeque. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9