City College of New York Employee Reviews in United States

Productive environment, great coworkers
Admissions Office Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2016
The City College is a great place to sharpen customer service skills, as well as other administrative skills. It can sometimes be fast paced but overall the work environment is pretty comfortable and manageable. My coworkers were great and very helpful.
One of the most diverse college in the United States
Tutor, Mathematics Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2016
Worked here as a part time tutor. Very nice campus and facilities. The most enjoyable part of this job is reinforcing the concepts which helps both the tutor and tutee.
Pros
Easily accessible, theres always a place to study, and affordable
Productive place and very educative
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  160 Convent Ave. NAC building New York, NY 10031May 16, 2016
My experiences here has been amazing, I've learn quite a lot working as a research assistant. One of the things I have learn is how to do phone screens for a research study, how to verbally communicate in a prompt manner, among other things.
Excellent Management
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2016
My co-workers were awesome! The environment was very welcoming and comfortable, which played a major role as to why I was so happy.
Productive place
Research Faculty (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2016
I am an engineer who loves experimental studies. I work both in the lab and in office. I am a quick learner so I will be able to adapt any place and do my best to be a good and productive person.
It is fun
Receptionist/Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2016
I worked as federal work-study student. So it was great learning experience. You can work around your class and test.Everyone is helpful.
Challenging yet at times rewarding
Director of Student Life (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2016
A typical day at work normally starts out dealing with an email or emails.

I've learned to be more solution orientated, and to have extreme patience.

Management at time can be very challenging and there exist a varied amount of leadership styles.

Co-workers are interesting as I work in a very conservative environment, yet at times people can be very collaborative.

The hardest part of the job is not being allowed to be too innovative.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the lives that have been touched or that I made an impact on.
Organized the theater library
Office Assistant, Theater Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
I worked with a team to organize over 1500 books. I was only allowed to work part time during the semester. I worked 20 hours a week.
Productive and fun places with fun colleagues
Teacher's Assistant & Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2016
My experience in working for the City College of New York is rewarding and productive. I have attained much knowledge that will help me in the professional world and everyday life.
Job Security and Tuition Assistance
LIBRARY ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2015
City Colleges' best asset is its job security. You are represented by unions and if not a union you have reps there that protect and preserve your standing in the company. The tuition assistance is its greatest benefit. Full tuition accept books.
Pros
Tuition Assistance
Cons
Salary
Productive and engaging
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2015
Working with career counselors; helping them by writing up internship opportunities, editing resumes, editing website content. Learning about different assessment tools. Sitting in on workshops given to students on a wide array of topics.
Great organization, great family
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2015
i worked for City College as Research Assistant for 4 months, while pursuing my bachelors degree in electrical engineering. it was such a great experience working with a grad student.
Fun Place to work
IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2015
If you want to gain customer service skills, this is the right place to work at. The diversity of people with different situations and personality make you learn how to deal with people at different levels.
Better than most NYC Colleges
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2015
Great academic environment, students willing to learn and give a fair amount of effort. I am comparing to other, smaller colleges and community colleges that I taught at before.
I know that this might sound stupid to even mention, but I feel that it is nice that department does not expect you to pass students just so that they can have sufficient enrollment for advanced courses next semester, yes this does happen at many other colleges.
Also, very nice coworkers, culture and fair management.
The hardest part of the job is the end of each semester because I have no control over how many classes I teach on the next one, if any.
Pros
Great environment and great people, at least in my department.
Cons
Not such a secure position if you are part-time lecturer
productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2015
It was awesome to work here. The staff and upper management worked together tirelessly to provide services to an adult student population. As a result, days at work went quickly and smoothlu.
Chill, laidback, and easygoing job
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2015
You can do whatever you like as long as you get what is required from you done. After that, you are free to sit there staring at a blank wall if that suits you.
Working with students as Teacher assistant
TA (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2015
The job was fair, I learned how to build a robot and I had very nice coworkers. The most enjoyable part of the job was to spend time with high school student that are very smart and I learn a lot from them.
I learned basic lab skills mostly handling animals for neuropharmacological protocols.
Research Scientist/Master's Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2015
I worked with animals as a masters student for the Acoustic Startle Response protocol. This involved the ip injection of cocaine and caffeine in rats to test a paradigm of the effects of these drugs in inducing the symptoms of schizophrenia (cocaine) and possible neuroprotective effects of caffeine.I was also trained in this lab in the manufacture of the BRODERICK Probe which is a novel microsensor for detecting the release of neurochemicals in real time. The Acoustic Startle Response data was presented at SFN 2012. Overall I found this a positive laboratory experience, I became familiar with IACUC protocol and statistical analysis with PRISM software as well. I hope to join a neuroscience lab where I can study physiology and pharmacology in more depth.
Daily encounter can be exciting and challenging
Campus Peace Officer Level III (Sergeant) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2015
Working in academic environment allows you to interact with people of various categories. The college is located in the heart of the community and next to public park which makes security issue a more challenging one.
On the average it affords me good opportunity to learn and advance myself.
Pros
vacation, free college tuition and health benefit
Cons
low opportunity for advancement.
Gratifying experience of teaching
Film History Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2015
There are very few things in this world that are more gratifying than teaching. When a student leaves your class or a one on one session with a better understanding and a deeper knowledge than what he had previously, you can truly claim to have had a positive impact on another human being. In addition, through teaching one puts himself in an optimal position for learning more. As a teacher you have to know what your teaching, and this forces you to dig deeper and gain more confidence in your subject matter, and you always learn from your students, as their perspective will always be fresh and unbiased compared with yours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City College of New York. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3