City College of New York Employee Reviews

Better than most NYC Colleges
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 19, 2015
Pros: Great environment and great people, at least in my department.
Cons: Not such a secure position if you are part-time lecturer
Great academic environment, students willing to learn and give a fair amount of effort. I am comparing to other, smaller colleges and community colleges that I taught at before.
I know that this might sound stupid to even mention, but I feel that it is nice that department does not expect you to pass students just so that they can have sufficient enrollment for advanced courses next semester, yes this does happen at many other colleges.
Also, very nice coworkers, culture and fair management.
The hardest part of the job is the end of each semester because I have no control over how many classes I teach on the next one, if any.
productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 12, 2015
It was awesome to work here. The staff and upper management worked together tirelessly to provide services to an adult student population. As a result, days at work went quickly and smoothlu.
Chill, laidback, and easygoing job
College Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 26, 2015
You can do whatever you like as long as you get what is required from you done. After that, you are free to sit there staring at a blank wall if that suits you.
Working with students as Teacher assistant
TA (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 5, 2015
The job was fair, I learned how to build a robot and I had very nice coworkers. The most enjoyable part of the job was to spend time with high school student that are very smart and I learn a lot from them.
I learned basic lab skills mostly handling animals for neuropharmacological protocols.
Research Scientist/Master's Student (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 24, 2015
I worked with animals as a masters student for the Acoustic Startle Response protocol. This involved the ip injection of cocaine and caffeine in rats to test a paradigm of the effects of these drugs in inducing the symptoms of schizophrenia (cocaine) and possible neuroprotective effects of caffeine.I was also trained in this lab in the manufacture of the BRODERICK Probe which is a novel microsensor for detecting the release of neurochemicals in real time. The Acoustic Startle Response data was presented at SFN 2012. Overall I found this a positive laboratory experience, I became familiar with IACUC protocol and statistical analysis with PRISM software as well. I hope to join a neuroscience lab where I can study physiology and pharmacology in more depth.
DAILY ENCOUNTER CAN BE EXCITING AND CHALLENGING
Campus Peace Officer Level III (Sergeant) (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 20, 2015
Pros: vacation, free college tuition and health benefit
Cons: low opportunity for advancement.
WORKING IN ACADEMIC ENVIRONMENT ALLOWS YOU TO INTERACT WITH PEOPLE OF VARIOUS CATEGORIES. THE COLLEGE IS LOCATED IN THE HEART OF THE COMMUNITY AND NEXT TO PUBLIC PARK WHICH MAKES SECURITY ISSUE A MORE CHALLENGING ONE.
ON THE AVERAGE IT AFFORDS ME GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN AND ADVANCE MYSELF.
Gratifying experience of teaching
Film History Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 1, 2015
There are very few things in this world that are more gratifying than teaching. When a student leaves your class or a one on one session with a better understanding and a deeper knowledge than what he had previously, you can truly claim to have had a positive impact on another human being. In addition, through teaching one puts himself in an optimal position for learning more. As a teacher you have to know what your teaching, and this forces you to dig deeper and gain more confidence in your subject matter, and you always learn from your students, as their perspective will always be fresh and unbiased compared with yours.
excellent engineering school
Research Assistant, PhD candidate (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 19, 2015
City College of New York is a excellent engineering school. I use computer software like SAP2000 to analyze common types of bridges including steel I girder, steel box, prestressed concrete bridges and write quarterly reports for research project.
Productive with lots of opportunities to learn.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 29, 2014
Being an assistant, I typically went through reading articles of previous research and using what was found to help our researcher. I learned how to process data and perform simple auditory and visual tasks for participants. The other assistants were really nice and easy to work with. The hardest part was the amount of time it took to process the data. The most enjoyable was actually running the experiments on the participants.
Relaxing but a slight bit boring.
Gallery Management and Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 10, 2014
Pros: quiet, peaceful environment.
Most of the gallery work is usually done depending on the shift. Students sometimes have access to the gallery before opening hours usually setting up before hand. The number of visitors are never too overwhelming and all respectful of the exhibited pieces.
Probably the most enjoyable part of working there is getting to see the artwork first hand.
A busy and very helpful office!
Receptionist, Office of Student Development (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 9, 2014
During a typical day at work I would do filling, answer phone calls and run errands. I learned to help prepare important college events. I also helped students with appointments and questions about registrations. My coworkers were great, I enjoyed lunch time with them.
Nice professor and peers
Ph.D. Research Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 19, 2014
Have all my 5 years phd study here, good mentoring environment
Productive work place.
Psychology Department Office Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 17, 2014
The environment is really productive, and you am able to learn quite a few skills needed for life there. When the office gets busy, it is imperative to be able to multitask and keep your composure. The co-workers respect each other and are helpful. I learned to be productive and to multitask.
Lab Assistant
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 11, 2014
Within my typical day I assisted college students with computer related issues.

I learned a great deal about technology and how to work with the public.
good school
Research Assistant, (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 31, 2014
Good school with great professors.
Excellent biomedical engineering department. PhD's help and mentor junior researchers
strict and fun
PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
the job is very strict and teaches you how to be aware and on point
Slave-driving institution, politics, nepotism, disregard for confidentiality and protocol/policy
Staff (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
Pros: beautiful campus, kind academic faculty and staff in many areas/depts: music, arts, media, psychology
Cons: not a good surrounding neighborhood and shady senior/executive staff, not a good life/work balance, gossipy environment.
Depending upon the department/area you will work long hours, skip lunch, be on-call while on vacation and likely be treated miserably. While this review represents my personal experience, there is a lack of confidentiality, gossip and a disregard for the work done by those whose role it is to guard the policies and guidelines. Senior level staff make decisions and approvals behind the scenes while staff that are responsible for compliance of the policies are disregarded. Classified staff are treated like second class citizens although they make up a large majority of the clerical / administrative staff. I could go on.....
Fun place to work, not too much stress
Treatment Plant Operator (Former Employee), 26 Ward Dewatering Facility. DEPJuly 3, 2014
Pros: you will learn alot
Cons: the job is temporary
Good organization to work and staff is alright. This was a new experience for me and I have come away with a lot as far as wastewater treatment is concerned
great pay, great people, and room for growth
Building Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 3, 2014
Pros: trips with the union
Cons: got laid off
I love working for this company, union trips where great, all the over time you would want, it was a family work place.
Good team player
Tutor/OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), NY NYJune 22, 2014
Communicate and be able to listen your coworker make the work so easy