City Harvest Employee Reviews

Good Volunteer Program.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2016
A very good and reputable non-profit organization. A good
no. of people from different backgrounds volunteering to help
out and reach those in need of food service and nutrition.
Passionate about their mission
Helper (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2016
City Harvest is a charity where we went around to restaurants and picked up food that was still good but a little past their due date. We did this so that we be able to cook it and serve it various soup kitchens within the city. They truly believe in rescuing food that would have otherwise have been thrown out and giving it to someone who would be able to benefit from it.

City Harvest has a convenient app that tells you what kind of experience on has accumulated within its organization and send you possible alerts of jobs that would suit your job skill.

I, in particular loved going in to local grocery stores in Queens and working with the owners in educating the public on what they could do with the fresh produce that is on sale that week. We did that be setting up a table and cooked served free samples using things that were on sale and affordable that were in the store right now. Also gave out the recipe we had on hand that we did use to make all these samples.
Pros
Great job experience; can find available positions
Cons
Traveling in and to NYC is expenisive - in both money and time
community Service Volunteer (Current Employee)
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 26, 2015
Non-for-profit organization.Nice people, meaningful work,networking opportunity.I have learned that it takes a lot of dedication to serve these communities. City Harvest is a trusted partner and maybe people are willing to participate in our programs because they know we will provide quality and integrity. We are just not another handout.
Cons
Shorts Breaks
Productive and great place to work with excellent values towards helping communities in need.
Assistant Manager, Mobile Market Logistics (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2013
My typical day at work is very different from everyone else in the organization. I spend a lot of time working with several departments to put together my program but I also get to be out on the field interacting with the communities that I serve.

Great experience and enjoyable time
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2013
Spoke to many people and entered data. Researched potential partners. Mailed and contacted major donors.
Very easy going atmosphere
Food Distribution Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMay 16, 2013
Keep you busy by the time you turn around your day is over .There is always something to do to keep you busy
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS
Cons
OFF ON THE WEEKENS
Company has a great mission statement, and a great place to work for
Warehouse Manager - L.I.C, NY (Former Employee) –  5501 2nd st LIC,NYJuly 28, 2012
Start off by loading 27 trucks for out bound deliveries. Then we start the the morning organization of the warehouse. Next prepare to take in the inbound deliveries, which consist of about 5 to 7 trailers, which are counted, checked for quality and dates and proceed to store product in various locations ( freezer,fridge,dry area. ). This is a new warehouse, we went from 2500 square feet to 50000 square feet. The hardest part of the job is the amount of product that comes in, from 2 trailers to 7. With a staff of 6 new warehouse associates, 3 on day and 3 on nights (this company never had warehouse personnel ) this becomes a challenge with new associates in the proper procedures of storing the product constant direction and training. The most enjoyable part is that at the end of the day (which could be 10 to 12 hours ) that all the work was accomplished and preperation for the next day was created.,