City University of New York Employee Reviews

You learn so much
Senior Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 9, 2018
For an organization a large as CUNY you would think that their employees would be compensated accordingly. That is not the case. The only perk at CUNY is that you can learn a great deal and I guess you cant put a price on that
Pros
Free Tuition
Cons
Poor Management
Great start
OUC/Student Financial Aid Operations (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 8, 2018
It is a great diverse company. Learn a lot about financial aid in a fast pace environment. The work isn't hard, just repetitive. My department works together as a team- learn many skills.
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2017
At the beginning and the end of the semester was crowed, but at the middle of it was a little bit relaxed. I learned to deal with many students and professors. I also learned to improve my pronunciation, writing, and speaking.
Excellent internship as part of the Union Semester program
Legislative/Communications assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2017
I worked for the PSC at an extremely exciting time. The first few months were a frantic lobbying effort after the Governor unexpectedly attempted to cut the university's budget during the middle of contract negotiations.

I then assisted in organizing the membership during a crucial strike authorization vote that eventually led to a new contract being signed for the first time in 7 years.
It was nice
Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 20, 2017
I worked as an intern there and I enjoyed the work environment. It was very relaxed and laid back but professional. The office space was always kept clean and everyone was friendly with one another.
Worplace Culture
Digital Fabrication & Media Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 14, 2017
A quick paced and collaborative enviroment in which you can grow. Supervisors expect us to be proactive and efficients. You must meet project goals in timely manner
Learned a lot but did not stay long
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2017
Work on communication between departments. Treat staff like human being instead of machines. CUNY-wide the above seems to be the norm.... left because there seem to be no desire as a organization to change.
Very Collaborative workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 13, 2017
Coming into this position,my internship has definitely given me a better understanding of my skill set and where my career may take me, but most importantly, I’ve come to learn that I am not alone. This job has taught me that almost everybody is in my same position. Very few college students know what they want to do, and it is something that is simply not worth worrying about. Thanks to my I know that if I continue to work hard things will fall into place.
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2017
I learned so much working here. You have the chance to work with a lot of really smart people, and their main focus is helping advance as many students as possible. While everyone works hard, it's a really fun institution to work in.
Terrible place to work
Guest Services / Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2017
The events managers are the least experienced and by far the worst team I have ever worked with. I would never recommend anyone with any type of real event planning experience or qualifications to apply for any positions they have open.
Pros
The clients are lovely
Cons
Managment is at best poor and ill informed
Productive workplace with room for growth
IT Assistant II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2017
Feels like a second family. Our department takes pride in helping each other to work together and independently to maintain Human Resources data for over 50,000 employees University-wide with the ultimate goal of meeting the needs of almost 300,000 students.
Pros
Great benefits, a lot to learn, lots of free training for courses applicable to your job
Solid Job
Custodial Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2017
Solid Job to work at while going to school or having a 2nd job. great benefits. they provide uniforms and allow you to go to school for free..........
Great place to work if you...
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  695 Park AvenueNovember 14, 2017
Only down fall is that because it is a city institution, you have to wait on people retire or to leave in order to get promoted. Unions have made it impossible to move up within the same department.
Teaching at QC
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 11, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job are students who appreciate the efforts that are put into ensuring that their learning experience is enhanced. The hardest part of the job are students who are not prepared for college life and who feel that they are entitled to getting A's for minimal work.
Slow paced, non productive, but stable
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2017
Many people love working there because it is stable and they offer Union Protection.I personally found it confining and not fun at all because the advancement up the corporate ladder too two to threes times as long as in private enterprises.
Pros
Pension, 401K, Health Benefits, Metro Benefits, Education Benefits
Cons
Many non ambitious coworkers, hard to advance in a reasonable amount of time.
Environment pleasant although morale is low
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYOctober 31, 2017
Typical day assist faculty, and students, maintain department records, assist full time Administrative Assistant, oversee student office help. Answer phones, type correspondence, create flyers and email faculty with departmental updates.

Work culture somewhat poor
Very desirable site of employment
Professor Emeriti (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 19, 2017
Excellent place to work. The candidate must be student oriented and with a commitment to research and community activities. Many extracurricular initiatives for social and cultural advancement.
Pros
Colligiality
Cons
Competitive professional goals
Great Learning Environment
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2017
CUNY is a great place to get experience dealing with students families from different cultures and environments. You learn a variety of skills that are very useful in everyday life.
Rewarding
Field Internship Educator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2017
A typical day of work consisted of women gaining employment and turning their lives around for a better future. Families were changed positively and women became more productive citizens .
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Grant Funded
College Assistant-Student Life & Housing (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 12, 2017
It was a nice environment to be working in. The director was wonderful. Very knowledgeable and understanding while being very realistic. Staff was all very respectable.