City University of New York Employee Reviews in United States

CUNY is a great place to learn about police work .
Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2016
Interacting with the public , learning how communication makes all the difference when people are having a bad day and do things they should not be doing .
Cons
the union
A stressful but rewarding environment helping students attain degrees in higher education.
FEDERAL DIRECT LOAN SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2016
Working for the City University of New York has been a pleasure. I've never meet more passionate individuals who care about assisting students and playing a role in helping them attain their educational goals.

I must admit however, the job can be challenging especially at the college level. Many students are selected for Verification in which financial aid personnel are required to ask for documents to verify income household size etc on the FAFSA application. There are various regulations that are in place we must be in compliance with. It can be challenging when trying to be in compliance and keeping abreast new regulations which change often.
Pros
Helping eligible students receive financial aid to fund their education. It is rewarding.
Cons
There is not much room for growth. Staff remain in their positions until retirement
Learning Activities
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, New YorkFebruary 14, 2016
Always learn as long as you teach. A City University College full of opportunities that have educated millions of New Yorkers.
helping the community
Campus Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2016
I was able to see how one institution could work together to help people feel better along with their Families during a life changing experience.
Interesting experiences due to a large and diverse population of students
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  CUNY HunterJanuary 21, 2016
Teaching is amazing. A lot of preparation goes into my lectures to make it as comprehensive and enlightening as possible for the students. My co-workers are very accommodating and we all learn from each other day to day. The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching the students the field of Biology, and them understanding it rather than thinking of it as a complex science.
Plenty of training for personal/professional growth opportunitites
Campus Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2015
A typical day at work includes constant patrolling around the college community and surrounding areas, assisting staff with access to buildings/rooms, responding to emergencies such as fire alarms, aided cases, reported criminal activity, investigation of ongoing cases.
Work Life
Microsoft Exchange Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2015
Wonderful co-workers loved new challenges but management is not very supportive. Very little promotion possibilities with in the organizations only relatives of management received pay and title raises.
As a mentor, I make sure I make myself available to any students who may have any concerns at any given time.
Peer Mentor/College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2015
SEEK is an eclectic environment, great for educating and showcasing Baruch's campus to new students who are hungry for experience. It's well respected in the sense that every person is able to give their opinions and expect it to be respected and given careful consideration. The SEEK department is filled with opportunities and nourishment from counselors who are supportive of each and every one of their past and present students. It can definitely be described as an environment in which one's passion for helping and giving can be seen and appreciated.
Pros
SEEK has its own honors organization, Chi Alpha Epsilon, mandates freshmen students to attend helpful workshops that will help develop academic skills, and of course free occasional lunches.
Cons
Freshmen students may sometimes get too rowdy and loud.
Regular Day in a Financial Aid Office
College Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2015
A regular day in a Financial Aid starts with a great smile from my co-workers. After a early social interactions the students start coming with a happy o sadly face depending on their financial status. One of the most productive part of the day is when a new students or a prospects students coming and ask questions about how to get into college and how to apply for benefits. This part of the job is very important because based on the response we can change lives. We can give a hand to a person that just needs directions in order to keep working on their goals.
Pros
New experiences everyday
Cons
Short staff
I love teaching because it is a feel good job with great interactions with studients.
Adjunct lecturer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Teaching in a hybrid program has allowed me to work in an online environment as well as interact with students personally. Each class requires lecture and then follow up with on line projects to be graded and reviewed. Posting of response to questions and on line projects allows that interaction to go deeper.

From 1986 to 2003 I also taught in a community college which I also enjoyed. I taught first and second year college students various coursed in health.

Now I am teaching Juniors and Seniors health management, and I am enjoying their interesting goals that are more set then in the community college where the student are just starting to find themselves.
Pros
Atmosphere is pleasant and staff tends to work well together
Cons
I am limited to how many classes I can teach due to staffing protocols.
Challenging, project-based internship
Application Development Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Great opportunity to work with university personnel to develop application for real-world use. Treated with respect as a colleague throughout the development process.
Well established company that helps to build Administrative Skills
Office of the University Controller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2015
I learned data entry, and attention to detail. I built interpersonal skills with management as well as high level Executives. I learned to analyze data and research financial information.
Pros
Set work shedule
Cons
State employee trapped on a certain pay scale without any increase in income ever due to budget cuts
Cuny
Assistant Director of Tools and Hosting (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2015
I loved this position. My day to day responsibilities varied depending on the time of the year as well as the project portfolio. My team was fantastic. One of my employees whom I hired away from a major bank won the CUNY Information Systems (group) Employee of the year...

All things created equal I am sorry to have left this position.
Pros
NYC Job Security as well as a true pension
Cons
Internal Politics
Rigorous
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2015
Had difficulty with recruitment for students to attend my sessions. The job in and of itself was an extremely complex one, as I did not possess the public speaking skills I have now.
Pros
10 hours per week/left time for academic activities.
Cons
Limited income, no advancement opportunities, poor cooperation of students
Good job with good life
Teaching Assistant, College of Staten Island (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2015
I enjoy the work here. It let me feel free and passionate. The professors and students here are very friendly and the the campus is very beautiful.
Great educational and work experience
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2015
Met some wonderful people along the way.
Centrally located, so typically easy getting to work.
Many campuses to choose from.
Pros
education & healthcare
Working at CUNY
Campus Peace Officer / Campus Police (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 1, 2015
Working at City University of New York has been a great experience. While working as a Campus Peace Officer/Campus Police I have learned many things, My experience at the CUNY PUBLIC SAFETY ACADEMY was an unforgettable experience. I learned a lot about the Law and meet a lot of great people who helped me to achieve my goal to become a Campus Peace Officer,
Creative Playground
Actor Teacher-Teaching Artist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2015
Creative Arts Team is an exceptional place to work to bud in terms of teaching artist experience as well as performance. I would recommend it to artists that are seeking a meaningful career in the arts .
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
pay
Productive and a fun work place
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2015
A typical day as a College Assistant consists of me helping other students with their need of assistance to log on to the computers, figuring out how to log in to the CUNY website, and helping professors with using the projectors that are installed in each of the computer labs on campus.
Bureaucratic Nightmare
CUNY Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2015
Job is about who you know. Will not get ahead unless you make a favorable impression on senior management and provide "butt to mouth" resuscitation. Co-workers and students are the only saving grace.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
Employee moral is very low, turnover rate is high CUNY wide