City Year Employee Reviews

Impossible without help
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 25, 2017
They take advantage of the fact that their employees are young and usually have very little career experience. The stipend is so bad that you couldn't possibly do it without public or family assistance. You do things that aren't in your job description more than half of the time. They tell you to "do it for the kids" so you stick with these awful conditions in the name of altruism.
Pros
the students
Cons
always afraid to lose your job, practically no work/life balance
Team Concept taught but not put to practiced in my case.
AmeriCorps Member/ Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2017
Long hours little pay. The days were long and in LA you can hardly survive on the tiny stipend. They should help more with accommodations if they want to attract good people. The concept of team work and giving back to the community are great but you have to live.
Pros
Community Service Projects were satisfying experiences.
Cons
Long hours with little compensation and no chance of advancement.
Exhausting but worthwhile
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 30, 2017
Job responsibilities differ greatly depending on your site and specific school placement, so no two experiences are the same. Many opportunities for personal and leadership development, though lacking in instructional training. City Year culture is all-consuming and at times overwhelming, but attempts to remain thoughtful and open to suggestion and improvement. Gain skills in communication, advocacy, and in-school experience. Benefits like healthcare and loan forbearance are helpful, but the poverty stipend is still difficult to live on.
Pros
Gain a lot of experience, professional development opportunities
Cons
Long work days, low pay, disorganized
Difficult but rewarding work
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2017
City Year New York is an organization with idealistic goals, but it is poorly managed. The experience working in the schools pays off, but the organization needs to do better.
The best way to approach City Year is to take it on as a personal challenge.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2017
City Year is a nonprofit based in providing service to inner city schools that need additional support. Corps members are given basic training and thrown into classrooms to help guide students toward greater personal success through education.

The hours are very long and the work is very haphazard. It is not a place to work if you don't feel comfortable taking on frequent challenges and pushing yourself to do more than you thought possible. It is very doable, however, and I personally enjoyed the challenge that came from the type of work I was presented with.

The company is constantly evolving, changing to meet the needs of its employees knowing that they're starting from a place of below minimum wage stipends and 10.5 hour days. It's still a work in progress, but it's a sustainable place to give a year or two. The cause is noble, and the process is imperfect.
Great service opportunity
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 8, 2017
The work is hard but service to students is well worth it. Prepare to be challenged but in ways that will make you a better person. I enjoyed my time here and still great friends with former corps members
Corps member
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 4, 2017
The position was one that offered many valuable experiences and opportunities to advance and network. The San Antonio City Year team was very professional and helpful.
Time Consuming with a Lack of Clarity
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 2, 2017
City Year as an organization and their goals I feel does have a great vision and drive when it comes to benefiting the education of America's children at need. However, the day to day experience within City Year is much different than what is initially advertised within their recruiting process. For starters, the hours are extremely long, working 40+ hour weeks (Many times approaching 50 hours or more) with only being given a low, and at times, a not feasible living stipend. The culture of City Year, although strong and unifying, does have some negative effects. It displays the image of idealism and positivity which does have its benefits, but unfortunately this aspect tends to cloud judgment and the harsh realities that is America's education system, and can result in frustration and lack of preparedness for those who begin this job and do not understand exactly what they are getting into. Lastly, the operations of this organization does lack a sense of clarity and tends to respond with "cookie cutter" answers to realistic issues and decisions that are involved within the experience. These aspects, in combination with the stresses and the significant amount of data imputing, leadership roles, and information that one who is an Americorps member in this job is responsible for, leaves you feeling much more exhausted and drained than the idealistic positive person they organization motivates you to be at the beginning. I do believe participating in this year of service is a good experience and opens the door to new opportunities, however, the mild sense of deception in regards  more... of the responsibilities really does drive down the motivation of recommending this job to a seeking young individual.  less
Still an outstanding Non-Profit to work for
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 31, 2017
I did the City Year program in Boston 13 years ago. Despite the passage of time, City Year still stands as a model program. It operates out of oveer two dozen U.S. Cities but was founded in Boston back in 1988. The program isn't for everyone and the company does its best to prepare Corps Members for the 10-month program both at the beginning and along the way.
Pros
Invaluable work experience
Cons
Can be very stressful
Love the job, dislike the leadership
Impact Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 31, 2017
Overall, City Year is a fantastic organization. The relationships that are created in the workplace are awesome. There are definitely many challenges and the support can be a bit inconsistent. Great workplace but the leadership tends to do things for self-gain.
Great Opportunity but Not for me
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2017
This year of service was great in giving me the skills I needed to advance my career, however the long work hours, very little pay and high stress environment was horrific. specially when you live in a city with such a high cost of living.
Pros
small amount of money to pay for college
Cons
short/no breaks, high stress, little pay
Everyone should give a year of service!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 22, 2017
This program changed my life. It was difficult. The days were long. The pay was low. The work never ended. I learned so much in my two years at City Year, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back and do it again.
As an AmeriCorps member, the work is very demanding for very little pay. Working with the students and service projects are the best part.
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 19, 2017
Typical days at work are long and tiring but for the most part go by kind of fast! I learned that working with adolescents is difficult, overwhelming, but fun. The culture was the hardest thing to adjust to because it forced me out of my comfort zone. The hardest part of the job is probably meeting important deadlines when we had a million other things on our plates. The most enjoyable part was definitely building relationships with staff and students in the school and interacting with them regularly.
Great job for growth
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 17, 2017
The job requires a lot of emotional support. Great place to learn about self and grow. The best part of the job is the amazing connections you make with your students as well as your teammates.
Good people, Tough time
City Year AmeriCorps Service Member (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 12, 2017
A typical day starts around or at 7 am and usually ends at 5 pm, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. Working with students can be rewarding, you can learn a lot about teaching, but this job is incredibly stressful and creates (often intense) emotional burdens with little to no way for there to be an outlet due to the poverty and long hours City Year AmeriCorps members go through. The culture of City Year as an organization can be patronizing, belittling, shallow, or at best trivial. I feel like I've learned a lot about being a good teacher, communicator, and many administrative skills, but I've also been stretched to the limit as a professional and person. My Impact Manager is a role model to me and is very supportive in the ways that she can be, but as an organization there is little that can be done to fix the stress without major changes beyond her control.
Pros
Personal/professional development, connections to other institutions
Cons
Low pay, tough working conditions, long hours, stressful/emotionally harmful working conditions, little/no support
Stressful and Bad Management
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 11, 2017
I would love to say that City Year is a good volunteer program and a great way to give back to your community and those around you. However, that would be giving City Year a lot more credit than it deserves.

City Year is a full time job. Not a volunteer program. I worked more than 40 hours a week, every single week. And even that was not enough. After the stress of the weeks, on my weekends, I was forced to participate in service events in order to meet a minimum hour requirement in order to obtain the scholarship that they offer. As you would imagine, I was constantly tired and consistently stressed out. If you don't mind this, then yes, City Year is a great job, if you take out the management and corps.
Pros
students, teammates, meet new people, experience new culture
Cons
management sucks, hour requirement is ridiculous, pay is sad, full time job under the guise of a volunteer program
A Year of Service
AmeriCorps member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 9, 2017
Great educational-focused organization to work for. Social justice focus and strived to help the nation's high need schools. Loved my year of service with the organization and would not trade my experience for anything else. I served as a tutor mentor and role model during my year of service with the organization. A great nonprofit organization to work for if you are passionate about social justice issues.
City year is over-rated
AMERICORPS MEMBER (Current Employee) –  DCMay 8, 2017
I did not like my experience with city year. My team was great, but the actual job was not something I would do again. It was just a temporary job and a transition into another position.
It's Tough
Americorps Member-Leckie Elementary School (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2017
City Year was the hardest year of my life. I was definitely not prepared for what was to come. The hours were long, and the pay was not the best, and it was emotionally and physically taxing. That being said, City Year was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and I wouldn't change that experience for anything.
Great learning and growth experience.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 7, 2017
I learned about education, working on a team, advocating for my values and beliefs all from my two years of service. It was difficult, but the moments of triumph and success were well worth the hardship and struggle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Year. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9