City Year Employee Reviews in United States

City Year Makes a Difference
Corps Member (Tutor/Mentor) (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 26, 2016
City Year is an education based, non-profit organization that partners with the public school system to address the drop out crisis. City Year has data that shows they have been making a difference for the better in this area. It is a diverse, welcoming work environment & opens the doors for many future opportunities for everyone who serves with City Year.
Pros
Diversity, Professional Development, Benefits, Helps with college tuition.
Cons
Long hours, Takes up most of your life for your year of service.
Family Atmosphere
Regional Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2016
I love working for City Year because of the support and the level of talent that City Year hire. The skills I've learned in this job are: time management, planning and executing for results, and being able to rely on my teammates in order to get the task completed. If you are driven to work with a group of people that is passionate about social justice and wanting our youth to have a fun academic career, than City Year is for you.
Team-based organization teeming with idealism
Americorps Member (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 18, 2016
City Year is a national education nonprofit with a strong and unique culture. City Year places young idealistic Americorps members to serve as mentors to students and improve their attendance, behavior, and course performance. Corps members work long hours in oftentimes difficult environments, doing work that is both incredibly challenging and extraordinarily rewarding.
Very Valuable Learning Experience
Academic Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 10, 2016
I would highly recommend doing a year of service with City Year, Inc. Miami to anyone who is interested in working in the schools. It gives a better understanding of how a schools runs and a better understanding of some of the challenges that schools face. However, the work is taxing.

But, although the work is hard, you can gain many new skills such as teamwork, lesson planning, and small group facilitating. They also provided many opportunities for corps members to enhance their leadership and networking skills.
Toughest year/most rewarding year of service
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2016
AmeriCorps stipulations apply. 1700 hours throughout the year-long contract.

The culture is everywhere in day to day work; it can be overwhelming for some but really helps put the work/your role in perspective.

The hardest part of the job is the combination of long, difficult hours with minuscule pay. It's a year of public service to the U.S. and a sacrifice to be sure!

The best part is growing close with not only your teammates in the school you serve in, but the students you grow to love and help teach academic and life skills.
Pros
Relationship building; making a (big) difference; clear culture and expectations
Cons
Long hours; low pay; mentally difficult
Amazing but could use some work
Americorps Member (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 4, 2016
City Year is an amazing organization that does great work for children who need assistance in life. It is a full-time volunteer position, but the living stipend could be a little more. There are a lot of quirky spirit breaks and buzz words along with impromptu meetings that could be emails or even text messages that takes time away from your real job, helping the children. But in all, it is great.
Fantastic Experience working with Youth/Young Adults
SENIOR AMERICORPS MEMBER, TEAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 18, 2016
Working as a Senior AmeriCorps member in San Jose with a team of 8 ACMs to develop their leadership ability, professional development, and their relationship with at risk students.
Creating relationships with the students, team, school staff, and CY leadership to ensure a strong culture between the CY ACMs and the school community.

Long hours working in the after-school space; 2-6pm M-F with students. High stress working environment, high standard of excellence, high pressure working environment.
Pros
co-workers, students
Cons
long hours, little pay
Hardest I have ever worked
Americorps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2016
This job was not a typical 9-5 job. A typical day of work started with me walking into my school PS 345 in East New York, Brooklyn and going to the cafeteria. I was greeted usually with high fives from the elementary students but there was also a fight that was waiting to be broken up somewhere in the cafeteria. I spent a lot of my days confused and adapting to every situation I was put in. Management in City Year was strong but also very transparent which didn't always make daily problems get solved easily.
Pros
Students love, teaching, being the light for most students struggling in the classroom, being needed emotionally by younger students, looked at as a role model and a mentor
Cons
Low pay
very supportive and life changing
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2016
My average day is being greeted by a team and a school full of empowering people who will always be there when you need them.I learned how to take a stand for what I need for myself and my future.The best thing about being apart of a such a creative organization is they push you past your limit so you can better yourself.The hardest part about my job is at the end of the year I will be leaving my student whom I have come to love like they were mine at the end of the year.The best part of this job is you will have a big brother/sister little sister/Brother bond with you management and co-workers . Since I am the baby in the group I feel even more welcomed that they treat me as an adult.
Pros
you bond as a team
Cons
balancing life and work
Hard gig with good rewards
Americorps Member (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 4, 2016
If you're going to work at a low-income school with no experience, know what to expect. Especially on a stipend. Although City Year is supportive, it is a very difficult job on and off the clock. You are trailing classes and teachers with very little say in specific responsibilities you are given and trusted to figure out much on your own. The students are the best and worst part; finding a social life and your own teaching/work style is very difficult to navigate apart from that.
Pros
Good work experience, team building, teaching
Cons
Awful hours and pay
Great work environment with great people.
Corp Member (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 5, 2016
City Year was an amazing experience working with amazing people. Working in low income public schools to push young adults through middle school and help them graduate high school. Learning how to be part of a team, how to become a leader and a positive role model in the community.
Cons
Paid on a stipend
Important work but the structure of the organization needs work
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 7, 2016
The days are very long but the work, which includes interacting with students in an academic setting, makes the long days worth it. It teaches you the skills needed to work on a functioning team and develops your leadership skills. Management is better in some places than it is in others, and there are some areas in the structure that could use some work as well. The hardest part of the job is making through the long days and potentially working with people you do not get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to assist and interact with the students.
Inpsiring job place to work with children
Amricore Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 17, 2016
This job gave me the opportunity to work with children to make a difference. I tutored them in math and literacy. I also managed their behaviors. I worked with these students for a year with a focus list of 17 students.
Don't do it
Americorps Member (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 16, 2016
This is a year of service. They tell you that the worst part about the long hours and low pay is dealing with children. That is a lie. The children are amazing. They make you laugh and they make you cry. City Year Sacramento is all about the image. You will be treated like a child i.e. no cell phone usage ever, no headphones, no room to make decisions. First thing in the morning and last thing in the evening, you will stand in a circle with your team, sing songs for every moment, and then end the circle with everyone putting their hand in a circle and yelling a "powerful" phrase. You will get written up for being one minute late no matter the circumstances. Just..don't do it.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Everything else
Mixed emotions.
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 8, 2016
I really enjoy the idea of city year and their mission. However, I really don't appreciate the compensation for the work that they require of you, and the long hours. The job culture is outstanding.
Good way to network within the City Year family
ACM (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 9, 2016
You essentially work 11 hour days with pay well below the minimum wage. The staff sells you this idealist version of what they think can be done in your time of service. There is definitely a big disconnect in what the staff thinks is happening and what is actually happening in the schools. There is no way to standardize the curriculum when each school/grade level is so different and has very different needs. I do think we are doing a great service in these schools but it is very physically and emotionally draining being at the school from 7:30 am until 6:30 pm M-F.
The taxed stipend is not enough to live in the high cost area that is silicon valley. The hours definitely make it hard to have a 2nd job without feeling like you have no real time for yourself.
Pros
Scholarships with partner school
Cons
long hours, low pay in high cost area, unorganized staff
Wonderful community environment and service opportunities.
City Year AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 14, 2016
I got to work with students who really wanted to learn and collaborated with a teacher to provide maximum impact to the students to enhance growth. It was a service program so I had many opportunities to help people.
An amazing opportunity to grow
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 16, 2016
City Year opens up the opportunity for young professionals to grow and gain a wide range of experience. Although we are placed in a non-profit, education setting, this company teaches any skill you could possibly need for future employment anywhere.
Pros
Service, Professional Development
Cons
Stipend
Great culture of idealism & supportive development
City Year Corp Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 20, 2016
working on a team of like minded individuals was a great experience! Staff are supportive and provide adequate training. More development and work around culture/racism is necessary.
Productive and Fun Environment
Behavior Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 12, 2016
working with high school aged sudents.
co-workers all between the ages of 18-25 years of age.
the most enjoyable part of the job was counseling my children in crisis and seeing positive outcomes.
Pros
kids
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Year. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2