City Year

City Year Employer Reviews

Research Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 13, 2014
No advancement or work/life balance
Productive and effective workplace, ever growing environment
Corp Member for Education-based Nonprofit (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 3, 2014
Pros: the program had great benefits such as the educational segal award to assist with educational loans, the plethora of partnerships they have with numerous organizations.
Cons: the money is not much for the service and hours you put into this program.
There is no typical day being a Corps member at Kimball Elementary, each day brings forth new challenges as well as accomplishments. The day starts everyday at 8 am. We have whats called First Circle in which we meet to discuss any announcements for the day. Then we go to the auditorium to greet the students. At 8:45 am we depart to our respective classrooms – more... where we provide whole class support to our Teacher while also doing small group pull outs and interventions to offer children a more inclusive learning environment. We also assisted with lunch as well as recess. At the end of the day we transitioned to after school were we executed various lessons plans that we created to further educate the children in a plethora of subjects such as science, music, etc. Then we dismiss the children to go home at 5:45 pm everyday. During this program i learned a lot about myself as well as about what i would like to do in life. I learned that the children in the urban communities are in dire need of positive role models, as well as extra help in academic areas as well as personal area such as life skills. The hardest part of my job is knowing that i could not reach every child the way i wanted to reach them. Knowing that there are some children way out of reach of my grasp brings pain to my heart. The most enjoyable part of my job is the one on one interactions i had with some of the children, knowing that i could reach some of them and that i was a positive role model in their live meant the world to me. – less
Teaching children and cleaning is what I love to do.
Community Service (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMay 13, 2014
Pros: we brought our lunch daily
Cons: didn't really get breaks unless the day was inside.
Get to my computer and see where I left off the day before. Once I have done that, I wait for the team to get there things together so we can head out for the day. Everyone works together on different things even management. It was always fun because we had a good sense if humor.
Greatly Added to my College Experience
City Year Corps Member; ELA Coordinator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 13, 2014
Pros: having a wonderful boss/manager
Cons: n/a
I worked for four years as the Art Assistant, and Ceramics Specialist to the six professors of Monmouth College's McMike Academic Hall. It was a wonderful learning experience for me, and the cearmics aspect of my job was fascinating.
Rewarding workplace
First year corps member (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 22, 2014
I work with elementary students tutoring them in ELA and working with them on their behavior and attendance. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the improvement my students are making with their reading. The most difficult part of my job is dealing with students who have very difficult home lives and struggle with how to deal with it.
Creating a fun educational experience
Behavior Coordinator - Americorps Member (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 29, 2014
Pros: advocate for education, youth development, enhancing cognitive behavior and growth
Cons: family involvement
A typical day at work for me is sending positive energy in the atmosphere for my kids. I make sure every move that I make would have some kind of positive impact on the students and their future. At work you can catch me making thousands of copies of worksheets, tutoring and mentoring students, planning and brainstorming events and initiatives, supporting – more... my team, checking in with students on an individual basis, implementing Social Emotional skills in all areas of service, and giving academic support in the classrooms. My main goal is focusing on the City Year model of Whole School, Whole Child, as well as encouraging students to teach one another. After I teach a student something new I always persuade them to teach it to someone else, my favorite motto is: “Each one, teach one.” – less
loved making a difference working with innercity kids
Corps Member (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 17, 2014
Pros: septa transpass, education scholarship
Cons: pay is horrible
Loved working with the kids, but the culture of the job can be very overbearing and smothering
volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 14, 2014
Pros: great people, awesome learnig experience, good way to learn about ethics and self confidence
Cons: nothing
City Year was a very big part of my life the organization helped me with my life in many ways from advancing my knowledge on computers, organizing benefits for 100+ people, organizing areas in Columbus to be revamped by the younger generation. I can honestly say that in my time volunteering their not once was a time I did not enjoy myself at this program, – more... it helped my life in many ways. – less
Not your typical camp job
CORPS MEMBER (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2014
Pros: the campers, the experience
Cons: time, pay and trainings
the summer camp was a amazing experience for the campers but as a staff member i was not satisfied. there was no unity. the trainings were not children based and felt like we were treated less than adults.
Give a Year, Change the World
Corps Member (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: the networking, the experience, the after program incentives\
Cons: poor management, lack of administration support
Was the slogan for City Year, A typical day of work consisted of starting at 7:15 am Monday through Friday to greet the students. When the school bell rung we would enter either English or Math class depending on the day and help the teacher with the students. We would would do this for 3 out of the 4 blocks and have a planning block. After school we – more... would help with the after school program to get the kids caught up or fine tune the skills they learned from earlier in the day. I learned that the school systems are under duress and need volunteer help from lots of people in the community. The management wasn't really supplemental for me and my teammates being that none of them worked in a high school setting before. My co-workers were a great asset to the success of each other and the children in the classroom. The hardest part of the job was wanting more success for the children then they did and lack of support from management and the administration at the school. The most enjoyable part of the job was the pleasure on the children's face when they accomplished something that they thought they couldn't accomplish before hand – less
Productive volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: free lunch, end of the day, awards
Cons: short breaks, being with friends0
Cleaned different areas
Met new people
Made the community a better place
Positive workplace dedicated to serving the community
Service Leader (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: workshops, ice breakers
Cons: long hours, red tape
Whether I was tutoring students or painting a mural, I felt the impact of my work. CIty Year was one of the best experiences of my life. I had dedicated, hard working, passionate supervisors who guided me every step of the way. My coworkers were focused and ambitious. The hardest part of the job was networking and maintaining relationships with our – more... partners. The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling all over NYC and meeting people from all walks of life – less
CY
Corps Member-Americorsps Member (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 13, 2014
City Year can be a excellent experience of growth and development. It all depends on your interests, do your research and make sure this is the right step for you to make. I say this because if you are joining this organization and have no interest in working with kids or in education you will be miserable. The hours are very long between 10-12 hours – more... a day (most days are 10), is a lot of very draining work. However its very rewarding, and insightful.

One of the best things about CY is the team experience. Trust me you work in a team for a reason. Though most of your work will be done individually the support of your team is what will help you through your toughest days.

The hardest part of the job is a tie between the crazy hours and the little compensation and the frustration of being unable to help your students more.

The most enjoyable part are the team and most definitely my amazing and inspiring students. I would recommend City Year, it will be hard and exhausting, it will push you and help you grow. At the end wether you hate it or love it you will have grown both professionally and personally. – less
Awesome
Corps Member (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 8, 2014
If your young and seek structure in the professional world this job offers more than enough. Its like being given a test run in the real world. If you lack loyalty, motivation, and dedication this isn't the job for you.
Working Towards A Great Cause
Program Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2013
Having the ability to keep your mind on the companies goal of impact just one person, since the philsophy is that only 1 person can make a difference, will help you grow in this company.
Great work experience
Curriculum Coordinator (Former Employee), Miami, FLDecember 10, 2013
Pros: great atmosphere and co-workers
Cons: very little pay (it was a non-profit)
City Year workers are typically hired for a year, or half-year. I was hired for a half-year. During this time I learned crucial things about teamwork, working with children, and perseverance. I was placed on a team of five members and our responsibilities all revolved around teaching social justice issues to middle school kids every Saturday. So for – more... the whole week, we would plan and coordinate every tiny detail of what would happen when we saw them. We planned field trips, brought in speakers, bought food, and planned activities. I was a curriculum coordinator, so it was my job to plan how exactly we would teach them about social justice. For example, one of the days had to do with Understanding the Disabled Population. I called in a doctor who spoke to them about sign language and even taught them how to sign the alphabet and rudimentary things. For the day that had to do with learning about poverty, I designed a game where they had to play with fake money and take care of their needs. The hardest part of the job was trying to be exciting to the kids. The easiest part was networking and planning. – less
Fun working environment
Corps Member (Current Employee), San Jose, CANovember 20, 2013
Pros: work with student, data results, networking
Cons: long hours, no pay, a lot of trainings on the same topics, take feedback but does not implement or consider
Working with kids is the best part. I get to see their lows but also their highs. Their achievement makes me happy and makes me get up in the morning. The purpose City Year presents is great but the way it goes about reaching to the kids does not match.
Great Support and Inspirational
Corps Member/External Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee), PhiladelphiaOctober 24, 2013
Pros: professional devepolement, network, students
Cons: time consuming, long hours sometimes
Most of the week you spent in school, working with students and team members. Trainings on most Fridays. Team, Fridays are great! MLK Days and other service day projects are wonderful.
Life Changing Public Service
Corps Member (Former Employee), Little RockSeptember 18, 2013
A school year contract to perform 1700 hours of public service. This is an amazing opportunity for people 17-24 years of age. A chance to experience a different city and way of living. Absolutely a life changing opportunity.
Go-Getter Idealists Collaborate Together to Create Positive Social Change Regarding Youth and Education
Corps Member (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 16, 2013
Starting at a bright and early 7a.m. we would gather in a strong circle on the school's blacktop for our daily team meeting. Here we would make sure each member is upholding the utmost quality in appearance before a powerful day of service. We then would discuss a typical days' agenda, announcements for the team and positives that have occurred since – more... our last meeting. We would then break off and start our school day working alongside teachers in classrooms, tutoring students in small groups and spearheading different lunch initiatives to allow the students positive engagement during their free time. After school we would lead a tutoring program for on average 90 students. After the tutoring program ended at 5:15pm our team would final circle and call it a day. But that was a rare occasion. We would typically stay an extra hour or more depending on our work load to go over different agendas and work on upcoming projects. A typical day would end at 6pm.

My coworkers and the students I worked with were the joy that I encountered daily at this job. My coworkers were my rock during the hard days and my laughter during the great days. The students were my motivators even when I felt under appreciated by the work I put in for them. The students are the reasons why I wanted to spend a year after graduation serving them and helping them find their path in life to success.

My time at City Year was a year of growth, challenge and ultimately a time to test how strong and capable I really am. I definitely enjoyed my 10 months of service. Every experience, person, opportunity and setback was a moment of growth to help me become the leader I am today. Thanks! – less

1 2 3