City and County of Denver Employee Reviews

Good Place to Work
Office of the Clerk and Recorder (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 1, 2014
City & County of Denver is a good place to work for the reason that opportunity to advance is very good, depending on the department. Some departments have less turnover because they are small department and employees are not eligible for retirement yet. I have been with the City for almost eight years, and I have promoted three times during this time. But in these promotions I have had to move to other city agencies which has been a good experience and has helped me to learn about city operations. In all of my experiences, in supervisory and non-supervisory capacities, I enjoy working with the various department and dedicated employees. Of course there are a few employees that have the "government worker" attitude but most employees I have encountered are dedicated, smart, and are good in their field.
The hardest part about working for CCD is it is a large Council-Mayor government structure and therefore operations and funding approval is a bit slower than Council-City Manager structure. If you are not familiar with this municipal government structure, it can be frustrating, initially.

On the other hand , a very neat thing about CCD is the current Mayor (Hancock) wants to know what employees are thinking. Therefore he provides an opportunity to schedule a meeting with him, and he actually do listen and heed employee suggestions.
Overall, it is a good place to work.
Pros
the current mayor (hancock) wants to know what the employees are thinking
Cons
it is a large council-mayor government structure.
Economic conditions have high influence
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 17, 2012
I have worked in the same agency for 13 years with a number of political administrations and executive directors. I enjoy my work which focuses on funding for the education and comprehensive services to children.
A typical day begins with a review of my calendar for meetings and report deadlines. I read my email and follow up as needed. I prepare for any meetings and determine my priorities for the day.
I have had the same supervisor for these 13 years, so we work well together. Although I have been insulated to a degree from the political administrations and executive directors, eash has had different goals and methods to achieve them.
I work well in an enviroment that has changed from an agency to a division. My co-workers and I make a great team as we strive to serve the children of Denver. The hardest part of the job is knowing there are children whom the agency is not able to meet their needs. It can be stressful when the funds are not available.
Pros
strong support in achieving educational goals;professional development
Cons
lack of career advancement
Benefits with the City of Denver were great. Management needs to be revised.
Bilingual Senior Social Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 12, 2015
A typical day at work was never the same. There were court hearings to attend at times for over 5 hours and as a worker it was expected that you attended these and at times deal with emergency situations (ie allegations of abuse/neglect, medical emergencies, etc). I learned that I can deal with high stress situations. I loved my co-workers in my team and got along with mostly everyone within my division. I was cordial with co-workers. The hardest part of my job, I must admit is having to remove children from their homes. The most enjoyable part of my job was returning children home. Even though, having to find an adoptive home for children, when it was in his best interest, it was very satisfying witnessing and being part of a successful match and adoption for a child!
Pros
flexibility in schedules and flex time.
Cons
stress and trauma
Nearly the worst work experience of my career
Sr. Information Technology Developer (Former Employee) –  DowntownNovember 2, 2012
The rank and file employees are dedicated and hardworking, but are being constantly undermined by unskilled managers that share a culture of distrust and contempt for non-management personnel. The Career Service Authority (CSA), supposedly founded to protect employees in the workplace, instead works with management to systematically suppress complaints and keep employee salaries down. This results in a poisonous work environment where productivity is very low. Add to this the abuses handed down in the name of “budget cuts” in the last few years, which include furloughs (unpaid days) and reduction or elimination of necessary equipment and services, together with the CSA/management philosophy that all employees are required to work unlimited hours, and you have the worst place to work ever. IT employee pay is up to 30% less than the private sector.
Pros
good location
Cons
poor pay, abusive conditions
Fist time reviewing this site.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 27, 2015
I have worked for the City & County of Denver for over 34 years and I loved every minute of it. I would like to retire from the City of Denver but would still like to continue to work outside of the City of Denver doing the same thing.
My day is very busy from the time I punch in until it's time to go home. I have learned to stay clam.
I assist 4 IT Directors with scheduling appointments, event planning, ordering food, and special projects.
I enjoy working with my co-workers, helping them out when needed. The hardest part of my job is not completed a task when it's time to go home. The most I enjoy is when we have special events and meeting interesting people outside our organization.
Pros
Events with free lunch and drinks
Cons
No breaks...okay bathroom breaks.
Truly a great organization!
Intern (Former Employee) –  City and County of DenverFebruary 13, 2014
I interned for the City and County, and worked for the experience. Let me tell you that when people say you don't earn anything from an internship, they are so far mistaken. I learned so much from the experience and I suggest that any college student that strives for experience and satisfaction apply for their open positions.

Once aboard you will understand what I am talking about. The people at the City and County of Denver are a cut above the rest. I have been other places and can attest for that.

You will develop skills and get a taste of a first class culture and who knows, if you impress you could find yourself a career.

Thanks, CCD
Pros
people, working environment, networking
Cons
parking
Good, dedicated people and very good benefits
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 25, 2014
My experience was mostly very positive.

I had a wide variety of duties and earned higher responsibilities. For the most part, co-workers are dedicated and competent and friendly.

Often times, training is extremely limited, but that provides the opportunity to utilize your skills to develop the position.

Management styles vary widely. Often, I had several supervisors/managers. This can be difficult when they have very different ideas and management styles. But, it does give you the opportunity to further develop skills in dealing with a diverse workplace and sometimes difficult people.

All-in-all...a very good employer.
Pros
good benefits and pay
Cons
layoffs
Great work place
Code enforcement officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 22, 2014
I would gather my daily assignment and go patrol the assigned area to write parking citations and enforce city ordinances. I was required to keep a daily log of all of my activity. I learned how to deal with the public in a one on one scenario. Management was supportive sometimes depending on the supervisor. Co-workers are why you enjoyed this postion they contributed to being a great support system. the hardest part of the day was in the beginning of the shift because not to many people had their vehicles in violation. the job itself was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Management Changes
Associate Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 11, 2014
In the 5 1/2 years with the City and County of Denver I have had 12 organizational changes with 12 supervisors. This made for difficulty in learning management styles and expectations.
My typical day at work involved EPO true-ups, this included updating non-compliant workstations, investigations, and compatibility checks.
As a Systems Administrator my main job functions included EPO, Exchange, Active directory, and server Administrations. The most enjoyable part of the position was working with my coworkers, passing on my knowledge and receiving additional education opportunities.
Pros
education opportunities
Cons
changes in management too often.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Heavy Equipment mechanic (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 30, 2013
My typical day at work starts off with shift meeting
During the shift meeting jobs are assigned, and its customary to follow up on previous shift and following up with previous shifts and other co-workers.
Next part of shift would be to start repairing and servicing heavy equipment; this part of the job is done independently.
Work order must be filled all job assignments are recorded and documented in company computer network.
Pros
employees are offered varies free trainings; which help me further my career knowledge.
Cons
parts management needs more training and more knowledgeable workers
I loved working for the City and County of Denver
Manager, Booking & Events (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 3, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of many different tasks and duties. Very busy schedule, a lot of deadlines to be met. I learned something new everyday. Most importantly, I learned how to treat the customers (both exterior and interior customers!). The management were very smart individuals with a lot of experience. The co-workers loved being in the Complex and worked hard. The hardest part of the job was trying not to work over 40 hours in a week and the most enjoyable part of the job - well, everything else!
Did not respect people's knowledge to do the job. Rather promote people based on gender.
HVAC Supervisor Facility Management (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 3, 2015
Great place to work till the last 3 years when the culture change of hiring friends from previous jobs and have no knowledge of the jobs they are hire to do. A lot of good people leaving in the last year because of upper management incompetents.
Pros
The hourly employees were great to work with.
Cons
Upper management incompetents in decisions of hiring friends.
Horrible Management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 28, 2014
The executive management team at DHS Child Support Division is horrendous. I would highly recommend that anyone who is considering working for this agency strongly reconsider. There is no sense of purpose or direction at this agency. The Deputy Director sits in her office all day long with the door shut and does not communicate with anyone in the agency.
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
poor management
Productive and busy
MOTOR VEHICLE TECH II (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 8, 2013
Working at the Motor Vehicle office for the City and County of Denver is very demanding. You have to be able to be face paced and multitask in order to meet expectations. It is a hard area to be able to promote in. Flexibility is a key aspect for this position, due to never knowing what will come up from minute to minute.
Very good with customers and a very productive work environment
Advance Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 30, 2013
Co workers are very nice and I enjoy working with them. Work varies everyday, sometimes is extremely busy other times its smooth. Managers are amazing and very understandable. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with the customers. Hardest part of the job is always having to be on your toes.
A complex institution providing rich opportunities to practice as an OD consultant
Sr. Organization Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 12, 2014
The City & County of Denver has presented me with a wide variety of professional projects in multiple work cultures and multiple lines of business. The added dynamic of elected, appointed, and career leaders is at once challenging and satisfying.
Exciting environment
Emergency Communications Operator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 12, 2014
Very fast paced and satisfying. Lots of educational opportunities. Management is great and very encouraging. Training is extremely detailed and challenging. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with issues that come up quickly without panicking. Luckily nearly all employees are helpful and team work oriented.
I work on a great crew with a great boss and crew members
Equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 22, 2014
In the morning we meet with the boss he gives us our job duty's and asks if there's anything we need any questions or complaints if there is we talk about come to a resolution and go to work.
Pros
good work enviroment good cew
Cons
slow advancement
Productive and fun environment surrounded by knowledgeable people
Water Quality Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 16, 2013
I have learned so much during the past years. I have learned how a proper environmental audit works, internally and externally. Mostly, I am thankful I was surrounded by coworkers that have taught me many skills that I can later on bring to a new work environment.
The managment in my department were cut throat and dishonest
Human Resource Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 22, 2015
Work assignments were often unfairly distributed, so some people had to much work, were others got away with doing nothing;
Pros
Opoortunity to do different things expand your talents
Cons
In most case, politics always played a role.