City and County of Denver

City and County of Denver Employer Reviews

Good Place to Work
Office of the Clerk and Recorder (Current Employee), Denver, COJune 1, 2014
Pros: the current mayor (hancock) wants to know what the employees are thinking
Cons: it is a large council-mayor government structure.
City & County of Denver is a good place to work for the reason that opportunity to advance is very good, depending on the department. Some departments have less turnover because they are small department and employees are not eligible for retirement yet. I have been with the City for almost eight years, and I have promoted three times during this time. – more... But in these promotions I have had to move to other city agencies which has been a good experience and has helped me to learn about city operations. In all of my experiences, in supervisory and non-supervisory capacities, I enjoy working with the various department and dedicated employees. Of course there are a few employees that have the "government worker" attitude but most employees I have encountered are dedicated, smart, and are good in their field.
The hardest part about working for CCD is it is a large Council-Mayor government structure and therefore operations and funding approval is a bit slower than Council-City Manager structure. If you are not familiar with this municipal government structure, it can be frustrating, initially.

On the other hand , a very neat thing about CCD is the current Mayor (Hancock) wants to know what employees are thinking. Therefore he provides an opportunity to schedule a meeting with him, and he actually do listen and heed employee suggestions.
Overall, it is a good place to work. – less
Law Enforcement lifestyle
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 10, 2014
Pros: brotherhood and lifestyle
Cons: the lifestyle was all you knew.
I loved the brotherhood I had with the department. I enjoyed living the lifestyle of Deputy. I liked the ever changing nature.
Horrible Management
Supervisor (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: excellent salary
Cons: poor management
The executive management team at DHS Child Support Division is horrendous. I would highly recommend that anyone who is considering working for this agency strongly reconsider. There is no sense of purpose or direction at this agency. The Deputy Director sits in her office all day long with the door shut and does not communicate with anyone in the agency.
Truly a great organization!
Intern (Former Employee), City and County of DenverFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: people, working environment, networking
Cons: parking
I interned for the City and County, and worked for the experience. Let me tell you that when people say you don't earn anything from an internship, they are so far mistaken. I learned so much from the experience and I suggest that any college student that strives for experience and satisfaction apply for their open positions.

Once aboard you will understand – more... what I am talking about. The people at the City and County of Denver are a cut above the rest. I have been other places and can attest for that.

You will develop skills and get a taste of a first class culture and who knows, if you impress you could find yourself a career.

Thanks, CCD – less
Good, dedicated people and very good benefits
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee), Denver, COJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: good benefits and pay
Cons: layoffs
My experience was mostly very positive.

I had a wide variety of duties and earned higher responsibilities. For the most part, co-workers are dedicated and competent and friendly.

Often times, training is extremely limited, but that provides the opportunity to utilize your skills to develop the position.

Management styles vary widely. Often, I had – more... several supervisors/managers. This can be difficult when they have very different ideas and management styles. But, it does give you the opportunity to further develop skills in dealing with a diverse workplace and sometimes difficult people.

All-in-all...a very good employer. – less
Great work place
Code enforcement officer (Former Employee), Denver, COJanuary 22, 2014
I would gather my daily assignment and go patrol the assigned area to write parking citations and enforce city ordinances. I was required to keep a daily log of all of my activity. I learned how to deal with the public in a one on one scenario. Management was supportive sometimes depending on the supervisor. Co-workers are why you enjoyed this postion – more... they contributed to being a great support system. the hardest part of the day was in the beginning of the shift because not to many people had their vehicles in violation. the job itself was the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Productive and busy
MOTOR VEHICLE TECH II (Current Employee), Denver, CODecember 8, 2013
Working at the Motor Vehicle office for the City and County of Denver is very demanding. You have to be able to be face paced and multitask in order to meet expectations. It is a hard area to be able to promote in. Flexibility is a key aspect for this position, due to never knowing what will come up from minute to minute.
Productive Company
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee), Denver, CONovember 15, 2013
Pros: healthcare, co-workers, advancement.
-Typical day at work-The typical day was very pleasant company to work for.
-I learn a lot working for this company, cause it was some many different jobs I had to do.
-Management-This was a good management company.
-Hardest par of the job-None
-Everything was enjoyable about this job.
Great
Professional Occupations Intern II (Current Employee), Denver, COOctober 4, 2013
The benefits and work environment at the City and County of Denver are amazing.
Very good with customers and a very productive work environment
Advance Lifeguard (Current Employee), Denver, COSeptember 30, 2013
Co workers are very nice and I enjoy working with them. Work varies everyday, sometimes is extremely busy other times its smooth. Managers are amazing and very understandable. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with the customers. Hardest part of the job is always having to be on your toes.
Overall experience is good
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee), Denver, COSeptember 28, 2013
My experience with the city was good, and enjoyed working in the field
CCD - A great place to work.
Urban Design Architect (Former Employee), Denver, COSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: assist community development
The City and County of Denver has an excellent governing body. The people working for the City are all top-notch professional.
No advancement opportunity.
Business Development Associate II (Former Employee), Denver, COAugust 15, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no employee protection.
Typical day at work involves resolving customer issues and concerns. The most rewarding part of the job was providing the support to clients while helping them resolve any pressing issues in their lives.
Productive and fun environment surrounded by knowledgeable people
Water Quality Intern (Former Employee), Denver, COJuly 16, 2013
I have learned so much during the past years. I have learned how a proper environmental audit works, internally and externally. Mostly, I am thankful I was surrounded by coworkers that have taught me many skills that I can later on bring to a new work environment.
The City and County of Denver is a great place to work
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (HEM) Welder / Fabricator (Current Employee), Denver, COJune 8, 2013
Pros: i am well treated and have great benifits.
Cons: we all have to work for a living.
I am looking to relocate to the Eden Prairie, Minnesota area due to divorce.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Heavy Equipment mechanic (Current Employee), Denver, COMarch 30, 2013
Pros: employees are offered varies free trainings; which help me further my career knowledge.
Cons: parts management needs more training and more knowledgeable workers
My typical day at work starts off with shift meeting
During the shift meeting jobs are assigned, and its customary to follow up on previous shift and following up with previous shifts and other co-workers.
Next part of shift would be to start repairing and servicing heavy equipment; this part of the job is done independently.
Work order must be filled – more... all job assignments are recorded and documented in company computer network. – less
Good people, questionable management
Management Analyst III (Current Employee), Denver, CODecember 4, 2012
Some really great people work here. Some of the management, however, lives up to the Peter Principle - promoted to a level of incompetence. It is a tough culture to crack. Additionally, it is a very homogenous workplace in terms of way of thinking.
Nearly the worst work experience of my career
Sr. Information Technology Developer (Former Employee), DowntownNovember 2, 2012
Pros: good location
Cons: poor pay, abusive conditions
The rank and file employees are dedicated and hardworking, but are being constantly undermined by unskilled managers that share a culture of distrust and contempt for non-management personnel. The Career Service Authority (CSA), supposedly founded to protect employees in the workplace, instead works with management to systematically suppress complaints – more... and keep employee salaries down. This results in a poisonous work environment where productivity is very low. Add to this the abuses handed down in the name of “budget cuts” in the last few years, which include furloughs (unpaid days) and reduction or elimination of necessary equipment and services, together with the CSA/management philosophy that all employees are required to work unlimited hours, and you have the worst place to work ever. IT employee pay is up to 30% less than the private sector. – less
Economic conditions have high influence
Senior Accountant (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 17, 2012
Pros: strong support in achieving educational goals;professional development
Cons: lack of career advancement
I have worked in the same agency for 13 years with a number of political administrations and executive directors. I enjoy my work which focuses on funding for the education and comprehensive services to children.
A typical day begins with a review of my calendar for meetings and report deadlines. I read my email and follow up as needed. I prepare for – more... any meetings and determine my priorities for the day.
I have had the same supervisor for these 13 years, so we work well together. Although I have been insulated to a degree from the political administrations and executive directors, eash has had different goals and methods to achieve them.
I work well in an enviroment that has changed from an agency to a division. My co-workers and I make a great team as we strive to serve the children of Denver. The hardest part of the job is knowing there are children whom the agency is not able to meet their needs. It can be stressful when the funds are not available. – less
abc
Associate Developer (Current Employee), Denver, COJune 30, 2012
Support and develop applications and creating reports
Learned OOD, c#