City and County of Denver Employee Reviews

Stay Away from Transportation and Mobility
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 29, 2017
If you are friends with your supervisor then you can have a peaceful work environment. If you are not a Black person you will have a peaceful work environment. Not a great department to work for, Public Works Transportation and Mobility is not for you if you are Black. You will not get trained correctly, you will not get spoken to, you will not get treated equally. Very unorganized department. All the supervisors need to be trained on how to be a supervisor. If you are smarter than most people in the department they will make feel uncomfortable. They only Black in the department is the HR rep. Warning stay away this department will never be ran correctly as long as the same people are in this department. They lack customer service, they are rude to citizens that have to call in.
Pros
Located on Roslyn St., free parking, free water
Cons
Short breaks, supervisor needs training, unorganized, no diversity
Fun Place To Work
Volunteer & Part Time Employment (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 10, 2017
Work while getting cultured in fine arts is a benefit on multiple front.

Serving as an On-Call Usher for fine performing arts venues, at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House. Responsible for delivering outstanding customer service, guidance, and security to patrons from a variety of cultures and backgrounds.
Physicaly exhausting
Storeroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 10, 2017
This is where I learned the most. I started off as a prep cook, and a Floater when my other duties were complete. After doing that for about 6 months I was relocated, and moved up to server. After about a year I quit serving and became Lead Clerk in the back of the Kitchen, where I was in charge of 4-5 other people to unload deliveries and restock .
Pros
A lot of activity, enjoyed co-workers
Cons
Physically exhausting, caused some physical issues
Not a healthy place to work
DHS (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 6, 2017
Disjointed, dysfunctional work environment. Lots of altruistic ideas about how we can improve, but very few leaders who actually lead that culture. Overworked unnecessarily. Red tape all day.
Great environment
Assisting in the labeling, tagging of the goods (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 20, 2016
I learned a lot have it be my first job and I became organized, learned how to work efficiently, and how to provide things I needed to do my job the right way.
Comfortable start for a new career
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 16, 2016
While there is great job security and the compensation was fair, the government moves too slowly and employees are not motivated. An enjoyable position that gave me plenty of experience working with different personalities. Doesn't appear to be much development or advancement. Slow moving.
Pros
Laidback, low stress
Cons
Complacent employees, slow moving
Independent Workplace
Tax Revenue Agent (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 21, 2016
I work independently and I work with a great group of people. The management team works well with my schedule, because I have a young daughter that is still in school.
Benefits
Property Assessments
Assessment Division, Executive Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 2, 2016
Provided services to property owners, based on the assessment of their property and city sponsored programs. Support to the Deputy Assessor.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and clients.
Cons
Commute to office.
plumbing shop is disfunctional, no real managers.
plumber (Current Employee) –  DIASeptember 26, 2016
as long as you're popular you do not need to know anything, as a matter of fact the less you know the better because they want to teach you how to be a plumber. the weeks leading up to and after holidays are nightmares, there is dog do on the bathroom floors from travelers companion dogs, and you spend your day unclogging toilets. about half the workers are trying to do a good job but its run by seniority, you can start a project and when someone who has been there a day longer than you comes along, you have to do it his way until someone else comes along that has more seniority then the last guy and then you have to change and do it allover, managers have abdicated all responsibility and your coworkers rate you for merit, not the supervisors and not the public, so if you like to play suck up than this is the place for you. the most enjoyable part was helping travelers and thinking you were making a positive impact on the public's travels.
Pros
tv's in all the break-rooms, even the hidden ones the management does not know about
Cons
the workers that have been there 15 or more years are really bitter people
This position is a mission for me.
Community Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 10, 2016
Meeting with different communities.
Outreach and education.
People/Communities can work together.
Management can be very challenging.
My coworkers are amazing.
Management understanding what the communities need to learn about government.
The most enjoyable part of my job, being able to carry out my God given mission and having the government pay me to do so.
Pros
The opportunity to serve the people of the U.S.
Cons
Work very long hours.

Want to know more about City and County of Denver?

Ask a question
great place
311 Call Center agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 7, 2016
great job many many calls from various citizens it could be a very long day and on many days I took over 180 calls. The people who were in the office were vary nice and there was a team atmosphere.
Great Job Stability, Slow Career Advancement
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 21, 2016
The City offers great stability and work life balance. The core job is relatively easy but the people are challenging at times.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Pay, slow career growth
Great work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 12, 2016
Great place to work has decent benifits but pay may be lacking depending on field of work. Have many career paths that can be great for job transfers and or promotions
Cons
Pay
Denver Deparment of Finance is a very high quality employer
Lead Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 23, 2016
Denver Department of Finance is a very progressive employer that offers flexible work schedules, as well as above average benefits and working conditions. In my job I spent a significant amount of time in the offices of other companies and I have to say that I always felt very lucky to work for Denver when comparing office comfort. The office areas are very modern and well kept, the management has always been very good about providing good quality office furniture, the security in the building includes staff and metal detectors. While the pay at the City of Denver is only in the mid-range of the pay scale for professionals such as myself, the benefits are good, the working conditions are great, and they are located at the Webb Building in upper downtown Denver and has very nice views from the 10th floor of the mountain range, the Civic Center Park, and is one block from the pedestrian mall with all the amenities of a big downtown locale.

The current management team in my Department is highly skilled and professional and very responsive to input, and they care very much about employee development and happiness.

Working for a Govt Agency as a professional Tax Auditor can be very stressful as you are in a negative relationship with everyone you contact, and you are also answerable to the City to meet fairly rigorous efficiency and quantitative expectations. The upside is that you meet many professionals outside your employer's office and make many important contacts during your work.

My 25.5 years to date at this employer have been very rewarding to me both developmentally
  more... as a professional and in the quality of life afforded me in this wonderful City.  less
Pros
Flexible work schedule, high degree of independence, sanctioned breaks
Cons
Stressful because of negative nature of tax auditing, high pressure from Management on performance goals.
Only apply if you have a relative working there
Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  DIAJuly 19, 2016
I was an EO at the airport with 13 years driving experience, 2 years equipment, and was the least paid. A guy with zero experience got top scale as an EO. The management is terrible at communicating and they treat you like you're stupid for not knowing things
Great Job
Parks Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 5, 2016
I worked seasonal but my body could not so the work load, great manager, pay and people to work with. You get easy work and hard work. early morning shift.
Executive Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 7, 2016
A typical day at work means you don't know what's coming your way. You deal with everyday people AND government officials, so you have to be prepared for anything. They often set up the lobby area with tv news reporters interviewing government officials, and heads of departments, so you could be walking past them at any given time to walk to another department on that floor. You may attend meetings with officials or employees of theirs. The building has security, so be prepared to walk through metal detectors, just like the airports. It's easy to network here. It's a nice place to work. They post job openings, so if you're looking for job advancement and you have the skills for a higher level job, it's not hard to apply. If you network with the right people, ask for a personal reference from them, you could land a GREAT job. The best part is the benefits. When you get a government job, you CAN'T get laid off. Raises may be hard earned though. The economy isn't that great. There are 13? holidays on the calendar. You get most of them off - paid.
Pros
Job advancement with no layoffs
Cons
Limited term jobs - when the contract term ends, you're gone
Difficult Place to Work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 5, 2016
Required long working hours, with lack of management recognition of what was actually required to do the job. Issues with co-workers, such as hostility in the workplace, were not addressed proactively. Also, uneven workloads - those who are most productive carry too much of the workload. Management support was not always there when it was needed. Many dedicated co-workers and ability to work interdisciplinary projects a plus.
Pros
Many great dedicated co-workers; good pay and raises
Cons
Lack of recognition and support by management, Lack of initiative to resolve personnel issues, Management does not recognize talent and skill consistently
Staff IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 9, 2016
I had twenty four years with the City of Denver, and unfortunately I was dismissed without rational or viable justification. I am so appreciative that I was vested and had a stable job so it wasn't in vain, I was vested and currently drawing my pension. I won't complain or be negative just thankful for the time and experience I gained during my employment with the City of Denver.
Good benefits.
Business License Inspector (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80202February 21, 2016
Typical big-city work culture. Many employees are committed to their job. Others are allowed to slide. Current HR policies make it difficult to cull the slackers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City and County of Denver. Our community is ready to answer.

City and County of Denver Reviews by Location