City and County of Denver Employee Reviews in United States

Only apply if you have a relative working there
Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  DIAJuly 19, 2016
I was an EO at the airport with 13 years driving experience, 2 years equipment, and was the least paid. A guy with zero experience got top scale as an EO. The management is terrible at communicating and they treat you like you're stupid for not knowing things
Executive Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 7, 2016
A typical day at work means you don't know what's coming your way. You deal with everyday people AND government officials, so you have to be prepared for anything. They often set up the lobby area with tv news reporters interviewing government officials, and heads of departments, so you could be walking past them at any given time to walk to another department on that floor. You may attend meetings with officials or employees of theirs. The building has security, so be prepared to walk through metal detectors, just like the airports. It's easy to network here. It's a nice place to work. They post job openings, so if you're looking for job advancement and you have the skills for a higher level job, it's not hard to apply. If you network with the right people, ask for a personal reference from them, you could land a GREAT job. The best part is the benefits. When you get a government job, you CAN'T get laid off. Raises may be hard earned though. The economy isn't that great. There are 13? holidays on the calendar. You get most of them off - paid.
Pros
Job advancement with no layoffs
Cons
Limited term jobs - when the contract term ends, you're gone
Difficult Place to Work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 5, 2016
Required long working hours, with lack of management recognition of what was actually required to do the job. Issues with co-workers, such as hostility in the workplace, were not addressed proactively. Also, uneven workloads - those who are most productive carry too much of the workload. Management support was not always there when it was needed. Many dedicated co-workers and ability to work interdisciplinary projects a plus.
Pros
Many great dedicated co-workers; good pay and raises
Cons
Lack of recognition and support by management, Lack of initiative to resolve personnel issues, Management does not recognize talent and skill consistently
Staff IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 9, 2016
I had twenty four years with the City of Denver, and unfortunately I was dismissed without rational or viable justification. I am so appreciative that I was vested and had a stable job so it wasn't in vain, I was vested and currently drawing my pension. I won't complain or be negative just thankful for the time and experience I gained during my employment with the City of Denver.
Good benefits.
Business License Inspector (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80202February 21, 2016
Typical big-city work culture. Many employees are committed to their job. Others are allowed to slide. Current HR policies make it difficult to cull the slackers.
Chaotic environment with Clueless Leadership
Network Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 9, 2016
New CIO is absent and non existent, New Director is fake, Network and Data/Voice Manager is a warm body, lackluster pay. If you are a hard worker and are worth anything you will be worked to the bone until you quit. Architecture team is full of Egomaniacs. 5 Firewall Admins have quit within the last 4 years. Do NOT Work Here. This is a hostile chaotic environment as of May 2015
Pros
Few
Cons
Clueless Leadership and Employees - Negligence is rampant
Fun workplace
Licensing Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 2, 2016
Dealt with people all day long I loved it

learnt how to process Special Event Liquor Licenses, and prepare hearings for Business Modifcations.

Management was good

Co Workers Great

hardest part of the job was being the only person handling the Special Event Liquor Licences but that didn't prevent me from completing all tasks on time and getting the customers their licenses in a timely manner.

Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers it's really a love of mine.
Pros
Desaling with Customers, Great Benefits
City and county of Denver
Project Manager / Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 1, 2016
The agency that I worked for offered me a number of opportunities to grow and work on my skill sets which I did take advantage of.
Pros
Flexibility to grow.
Cons
A very thick ceiling
great job
Right -Away Parking Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 14, 2016
I started out as a clerk typist, promoted to a 911 operator, then promoted to a parking controller/ a vehicle boot investigator,and promoted to a supervisor a typical day was all over the board, loved working with my co-workers,
Good luck keeping your job
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 10, 2015
Management can be decent - if they like you personally. I graduated at the top of my class in the academy, but was still fired because "I wouldn't pass the probationary period." Over the last year, everyone who hasn't been fired or quit has joined the Union to avoid being fired for outrageous allegations.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Management is terrible.
had good benefits
Adminstrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 10, 2015
Added all new vendors that needed to be paid by the city & County of Denver. Most of the controller's office had a well defined mission of being good stewards of the tax payers money. Some of the management was disfunctional but the co-workers were very friendly.
Hardest part of the job was the SLA which was 24 -48 hours. Most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with staff.
toxic workplace
HR Director/ Recruiter and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 19, 2015
the mayor and executive team has made this the most toxic environment I have ever been involved in. not just my department it prevails through out the city and county of Denver.
Pros
good pay
Cons
`everything else
Professional Growth
Program Administrator, Summer Programs and WIA (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 6, 2015
Great place to grow professionally. However, gaps in leadership knowledge and ability to be more engaged with employees creates a challenging environment to work in.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of leadership guidance and knowledge
You Are Replaceable
Business Development Associate II (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 15, 2015
OED is all about maintaining administrative control of their programs. After dedicating years of hard work and dedication to our jobs, about 170 of the employees in our program and will be laid off early spring 2016 to 6/30/16, and contractors will be hired instead because of this. Only 5 will remain employed. Work for any agency within the City and County of Denver except for Office of Economic Development.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Everything else.
I loved working for the City and County of Denver
Manager, Booking & Events (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 3, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of many different tasks and duties. Very busy schedule, a lot of deadlines to be met. I learned something new everyday. Most importantly, I learned how to treat the customers (both exterior and interior customers!). The management were very smart individuals with a lot of experience. The co-workers loved being in the Complex and worked hard. The hardest part of the job was trying not to work over 40 hours in a week and the most enjoyable part of the job - well, everything else!
Good Learning experience for obtaining new skills.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 18, 2015
A typical day at work was cleaning and maintenance of the City & County of Denver Sewer system. Learned to operate different types of equipment for cleaning out sewers, storm drains and fixing man hole covers. The hardest part of the job was working with employees having discrimination issues. The best part of the job was rotating once a month with a different driver.
Pros
Learning new aspects of maintaining the sewer systems.
Cons
Working with toxic waste that obsorbs into your pores.
City that lacks transparency
Business Development Associate II OED (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 3, 2015
Typical day at work includes seeing several customers a day with several barriers. We serve all classes of people and the numbers continue to grow with out staff appreciation.
Pros
Cons
healthcare
The shop foreman was very helpful.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 29, 2015
I learned a ton of new equipment my first year at the city. Coming out of flat rate, the money is good, and steady. Heavy equipment services were a day to day task. The coworkers are very helpful.
Pros
good hours
Cons
Working on trash trucks.
The managment in my department were cut throat and dishonest
Human Resource Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 22, 2015
Work assignments were often unfairly distributed, so some people had to much work, were others got away with doing nothing;
Pros
Opoortunity to do different things expand your talents
Cons
In most case, politics always played a role.
Working for the City and County of Denver at DIA
Hi-Tech Man, AIRPORT ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 20, 2015
Great Place to work. I get pay to do what I love.
I get the opportunity represent my local Government with many of our Customers. I love to take pride on my performance and put my skills to work for my community.

City and County of Denver Reviews by Location