City and County of Honolulu, HI Employee Reviews

Great Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Sand Island, HIMay 2, 2017
I had a great time working here. I learned about all sorts of things pertaining to wastewater treatment plants. I especially enjoyed helping with implementing new safety systems.
Excellent co-workers, but I'm not a good match with my boss
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Honolulu County, HIApril 6, 2017
Excellent people to work with, and attention is paid by management to minimizing work stress. I highly recommend the city, I would stay if I were a better personality match with current boss, but not her fault.
Pros
Full benefits, medical, dental, retirement.
Excelent place to work
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 30, 2017
Excellent place to work with that provides an experience knowing the employee is making a positive difference in the community. Challenging environment that demands its employees to be their best.
Typical Clerical Job
Legal Clerk I (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 29, 2017
The benefits are amazing! The volume of work is very high but it makes the day go by much faster. I would definitely recommend someone to work for the city if they are looking for a full time job.
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer/Junior Leader (Former Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIJanuary 17, 2017
Throughout the years, I have always been attending the Summer Fun Program every summer. One year, I've decided to volunteer as a junior leader. By doing so, I've connected myself with not only the kids, but with the staff as well. Strengthening my communication skills was a success along with working well with others. I was able to complete tasks on time and successfully as well.
I have loearned a lot from other co workers.
Working Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 5, 2017
Great communication and team work. Lay off from work. I had a great experience on filling report that I never thought I would do at this age of my life.
progressive place to work
Computer Service Representative / System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 5, 2016
highly skilled staff that chose civil service over private industry paychecks. Co-workers and technicians among the best.

hardest part of the job was not being able to please everyone.

most enjoyable part of the job was resolving IT issues and troubleshooting all sorts of problems.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
not enough hours in the day to get everything done
Challenged job
Computer Programmer(Data Analyst) (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 29, 2016
Working here is challenging. The reason I like working here is I need to understand the relation of various data, design and build a logic to ensure the system running well.
Productive and fun
CEO Program (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 11, 2015
Working for the city and county of Honolulu was fun.
I learned data entry, and basic clerical work. I became close with my supervisor and my manager, they were excellent at keeping up with things. My co-workers were very polite and helpful, and they would always help me learn new and easy ways to get my job done fast and better. The hardest part of my job was leaving, and the most enjoyable part of it was being able to help troubled youth and help organize activities and fundraisers to better the youth build program.
Pros
learned new things
Cons
leaving too soon
Great place to work.
Computer Operator II/Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 26, 2015
Great place to work and interact with end users. Test your problem solving skills. Opportunities to learn new skills and improve your knowledge.

Want to know more about City and County of Honolulu, HI?

Ask a question
Nice place to work. Very little pressure. I was my own boss.
Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 9, 2015
This is a pleasant place to work but salaries are extremely low however there are plenty of holidays and vacation days available to everyone
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere. High morale.
Cons
Low salaries
Run away.
Engineering Technician V (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HI.March 22, 2015
Unless you are a highly educated professional, you should pass on working for the City and County of Honolulu. I have been employed there for many years and all you'll get is a lot of stress, have to pay out a lot of money for health care and little to no support from your superiors.
Pros
Cheap parking rates.
Cons
Everything else.
daily
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 14, 2015
every day is diferent different tak different crew members
Fun place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 11, 2014
Resolve situations between teens. Plan activities for teens. Be role models to teens. I learn that even teens have problems with homework or not getting along with other teens. Hardest part is when teens use violence for solving their problems and trying to them down. Fun part is interacting with them.
Pros
Connecting with other people
Cons
Can be stressful
State Job
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 1, 2014
It is a state job so there are great long term benefits. Working here part time is great for students who need to have flexible work schedules.
Benefits
Cons
Low paying
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Waipahu, HIMay 7, 2014
Ensure a clean and safe environment for the public use of the gym facilities, such as the gym, boxing room, multi-purpose rooms, park fields, etc. Provide customer service for permit users, such as collecting money, issuing permits to sign, provide guideline rules forms, and opening/ closing rooms for permit users. Issue basketball equipment to the public. Open/close multipurpose rooms for permit users
Fun Work Environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Wahiawā, HIApril 23, 2014
Co-workers are super friendly. Patrons are friendly and social. Not much work to be done other than lifeguard surveillance. Pool is not consistent in open hours.
Pros
Nice hours
Cons
Unreliable work days due to closures
Diverse assignments
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 25, 2014
There were many different tasks that needed to be completed. Following an outlined structure kept order in operations. Leaders showed compassion and respect to civilian staff.
Pros
Full-time, good healthcare benefits, opportunities to work overtime
Cons
Office gossip can cause unnecessary/unwarranted consequences
Works day for a Works pay
Engineering Support Technician II (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 14, 2014
Due to the short duration I cant give a great deal of detail however it did open my eyes to almost every part of a contractors work from reviewing plans to installation of flooring, counters, electrical work, site maintenance and equipment maintenance. None of it was hard mentally but physically could be demanding.
Excellent place to work
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 7, 2013
Answering emails, phone calls. Posting overtime slips. Verify timecards with hours claimed. Handling pay discrepencies for officers.
I also took on this job to learn and grow within an accounting environment. My co-workers and management were the best I could hope to lean under.
The hardest part was learning military time. All shifts had different pay scales, all on military time.
The most enjoyable part was the interaction with my officers and
co-workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City and County of Honolulu, HI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4