City and County of San Francisco Employee Reviews

Great company
Senior Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 21, 2016
Great company with opportunity for advancement. Diverse environment, population, and call types. Never a dull moment in this ever expanding and changing company.
First Day on the Job
STUDENT DESIGN TRAINEE II (INTERNSHIP) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94102October 11, 2016
It was very exciting and there were engineers all over the place coming to lend their assistance in finding my fit in the workplace. They constantly made an effort for me to be up to par in terms of completing the workload.
not worth it
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 9, 2015
management is horrible from most senior manager. no professionalism, there is a lot of favoritism but if you ask they will deny it. Some co-workers are nice to work with while others are lazy but nothing is done to improve anything.
benefits
Cons
no teamwork
Research Assistant Clinical MANAGER
Research Coordinator / Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 26, 2016
Worked with the HIV medically incarcerated inmates in the san Francisco Community jails to try and teach harm reduction and educate how to manage,the then complex and eventual fatalistic endpoint of becoming what HIV which presently meant preparing to live the best quality of life executed for the next ten yrs.
Pros
hard to follow clients out of the jail system and set strong behavioral change
Cons
working in the county jails
Great co-worker
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 16, 2013
A typical day at work is helping employees with questions regarding payroll and understand how to read his or her pay stub. Working in the payroll/human resource department a person can learn many things because things change everyday. Especially when implementing a new payroll/human resource computer program. The management team is okay he or she work very hard. My co-worker and I watch out for each other we help each in every way possible. The hardest part of my job is working on the new system because their is always a problem with the system. I enjoy my co-worker we have a great time together.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Upset employees
I was fired for being disabled
Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 18, 2012
It's a great secure job to have as long as you don't have any workplace accidents. If you get hurt on the job, I suggest you get a lawyer that day and start suing that day. My superintendent loved my work. He told me I could always work for him anytime, but some woman in the health and safety department started gunning for me the minute I got hurt and didn't let up till I was gone. I scored #2 of 250 applicants vying for over 100 positions with the county and was not chosen to go from provisional to permanent employee because I had gotten hurt on the job. I had to cash in my 401K to pay my bills until I could find another job. i have $50K in credit card debt, and it's all because the city and county of San Francisco doesn't care about their injured employees, they just want to get rid of the liability as quickly as they can.
Pros
good pay good benefits
Cons
they will dispose of you, when you get hurt on the job.
Stressful but rewarding job
Public Health Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 16, 2014
Cared for chronically mentally ill clients in a locked psychiatric ward on the campus of San Francisco General Hospital. Formed lasting relationships with co-workers and long-term clients. Despite the bleak outlook for many of the clients' recovery, there were many success stories. There is no cure for some mental illnesses, so you have to measure success differently: how long they stayed out in the community living in a lower level of care THIS TIME... The building was beautiful, the campus of the hospital is historic and cool with the gargoyles looking down on you from the old brick buildings. Staff are super nice and dedicated. Clients can be challenging, but that is part of the job. With the decline in the economy, cutbacks made it a very uncertain place to work. Layoffs issued several times over the years. Reconfigurations of the building and new programs attempted to make the most of a bad situation. The new SF Medical Center Building is under construction and is beautiful! It was long overdue.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Constant threat of lay-offs
not a fun or productive place to work as of late
Manager, Mobility & Enterprise Messaging (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 1, 2012
if you are in IT, the current management will waste your IT skills and eventually cause them to errode.
Pros
health benefits, not much late work
Cons
management and lazy workers
Fun place to work
Certifed Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 16, 2015
The was very pleasant. You Learn to be thankful for what you can do on your own without having have someone to do it for you. Most of my co-workers were good peoples and fun to work with.Just like at most job you have your good managers and than there were you no so nice ones, but i could get along with them all.The hardest part of this job is when one of your patient pass away.The most enjoyable thing is see you patient smile.
Pros
Uniform allowances
Cons
N?A
Good Job
Cashier 2 (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 8, 2012
This is a very stable position once you have passed your probationary period. The people I work with is great and the city has a lot of good benefits for their employee's.
Very supporting and rewarding place to work.
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Potrero Ave.March 7, 2012
Managers and Supervisors as well as fellow colleagues were very supportive and compensation is awesome!
Pros
very flexible work hours.
Hardest full-time job
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 30, 2015
Really dealing with politics. If you would like to grow your skills fast, I highly recommend everyone to work with government.
Nice company great interaction with people.
TRANSIT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 12, 2013
This was a great company to work for. Great benefits flexible hours and nice co workers.
City Government Agency
Senior Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 23, 2014
A typical day at work was spent analyzing and reconciling budget to actual expenditures, as well as, monitoring and evaluating ongoing administrative, financial and operational projects. What I've learned over the span of my career is that in addition to working hard, one must learn to also work smart. Co-workers were working peers, each responsible for their own projects, so as such, we tended to assist each other when requested, and always willing to consult. My management style is participatory, I always strive to include employees in pertinent discussions, and I have always believed that the decision of an informed group is superior to that of an informed individual. The most difficult part of the job involved controlling expenditures while continuing to pursue existing programs, and sometimes adding new programs extemporaneously. The most enjoyable part of the job, from getting spend time with co-workers, was achieving the goals associated with my efforts.
The most enjoyable part of the job
PMO Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 21, 2015
The City of San Francisco has given me carte blanche to use my creativity to improve the way city employees collaborate, streamline processes, improve skills, and elevate tools. There is nothing better than going to work in the morning knowing that you are empowered to make decisions, you're trusted to do the right thing, and the changes you bring will help the City of San Francisco local government become more efficient.
Good place to be in
Community Liaison (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2014
A typical work would be to engage the community with the local schools.
I learned that some families was not that into getting their kids to school on time and they also didnt know that it affects the children when they are late or absent to school.

management was good they supported every barrier we faced with getting children to and from school.
Co workers was fine
The hardest part of the job is letting parents know how hurtful it was for their child to miss school and try to help them get back on track

the most enjoyable part is working with schools that I once attended
Pros
working with a diverst communtiy
Cons
not knowing some of the families we were working was a challenge
Too much politics and slow work phase
INSTITUTIONAL UTILITY WORKER (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CaliforniaOctober 19, 2015
I got used to working on a fast work environment its hard to work in their laid back style of work
Every Department have their own set of rules . You can grow with this company if you have all the time in your hand.
good environment to work with
Public Service Aide (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 9, 2015
Though politics run in this business but all the the people are humble and willing to help you in every means.
load of duty is heavy everyone manages to find balance for work. They help each other.
No comment
Child Support Professional II (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 6, 2013
Case management of Child Support cases. Making and receiving telephone calls from client's regarding enforcement and collection of child support payments. Data entry of case notes, preparation of legal documents, review of child support cases, data entry of correspondences received from client's, employer's, out of state agencies, local child support agencies. Review of work related reports as assigned. Working on a team and assisting team members as needed. Outreach work at the local county jail in providing assistance to inmates based on child support needs, family law, etc.
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
CCSF-SFMTA Very Good Employer
Dep. Director SFMTA (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 27, 2012
The City and County of San Francisco, Municipal Transportation Agency is a very good employer particularly if hired into a Civil Service job classification. Management positions are considered "at will" which means during times of budget tightening it is easiest to lay-off management staff. Contrary to popular beliefs, working for a City Agency is not easy, nor for the lazy, employees are required to put in whatever time is required to complete assignments on time. Still employment at this company is very desirable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City and County of San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2