CITY OF ABILENE Employee Reviews

An entry level job
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 19, 2017
This is an excellent job for someone wanting to maintain a good rapport with the city and earn a reasonable wage for the effort. This job is not difficult, so it would be a good job for someone's first job.
Wonderful Job
Adoption Specialist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 5, 2017
As a part time employee, this job is a little more difficult. There are very few job positions in this facility so moving to a full time position has been near impossible. Unfortunately as a part time employee, I do not receive benefits, time off or a liveable wage, understandably. But outside of these limitations, this is a wonderful job to have. I love the environment as far as the productivity and friendliness of the other employees. Being a City job it is also very festive for holidays and greatly involved with the community. The job tasks are fairly easy and time usually passes fairly fast. Currently management is a controversial issue, but it is not totally horrible and if you are self driven and do not rely on someone to walk you through your job step by step, things are great.
great work environment
Account Technician II (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 18, 2016
positive work environment, I enjoyed working for the City of Abilene. I learned a great deal while here. Management was easy to talk to and work for. .
Local Government at its Best
Communications & Media Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  City of Abilene, TXAugust 15, 2016
While working for the City of Abilene I was afforded the opportunity to bring all of my ideas to the table and be treated with the utmost respect by the directors and senior level management.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Job Description matched my daily duties
Cons
Abilene as a whole pays lower than most cities.
Great Place to Work
Technolgy Analyst (Current Employee) –  City of Abilene, TX City HallMarch 1, 2016
I love working for the City of Abilene. However, I am ready to retire and move on to something else. Utilize my skills part time in an office setting.
Pros
Benefits, great people to work with.
Cons
No Cons.
Productivity and Personal Growth
PUBLIC HEALTH RN (Former Employee) –  City Of AbileneJanuary 29, 2015
Responsible for the teaching and supervision of clients and CNA within clinic setting. Responsible for performing assessments, skilled nursing, development of POC utilizing communication and available resources to promote quality care, coordinating with various State of Texas Departments to inform of client's condition and on-going service needs and requirements. RN provides “team based staffing” to ensure holistic approach.
Great place
Utility Worker1 (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 17, 2014
Everything bout the city is great, except the pay. It was good for most but for my situation was not enough to provide, but really was a great place, friendly people, friendly supervisors, and family oriented work environment.
Good, physical work.
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 18, 2014
The supervisors appreciate your legitimate loyalty and hard work, and they refrain from any harrassment when you are doing your job.
Pros
Cons
Nothing.
Good place to work, good team of co-workers and great hours to work.
Nursing Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 20, 2014
City of Abilene has good benefits including vacation, sick leave and holidays. The pay is a little low for nurses, however it is offset with the Monday through Friday work week, no on-call, with week-ends and holidays off.
A typical day is hard to come by - every day is different with meetings, patient care if have staff call in sick, notating emails in regards to programs with updates or questions from the state - ordering supplies or approving supplies, updating policies, working on budget details, notes for staff meetings and inservices, especially if Quality Management Audits show a trend or pattern of deficiencies that need to be corrected with retraining of staff.
I work as part of the management team and we have monthly meetings to stay informed of any local changes or state changes.
I have oversight of all clinic activities that includes an overall staff of 20 team members (nurses and clerks).
The hardest part of the job is making sure everyone knows the correct information about our services and care and are providing this.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when the patient says thanks so much for all your care and attention and you have really helped me.
Pros
Work Monday thru Friday - no weekends or holidays
Cons
Making sure the staff have all the same information for servcies and care provided.
Not the most productive workplace.
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 17, 2014
Severe management issues, no confidentiality maintained.

Most co-workers got along well and did good jobs.

No "typical" day at work.
Pros
stability
Cons
management cultivated culture of infighting amongst co-workers
Watch your back
Enforcement (Former Employee) –  Abilene, KSJanuary 22, 2014
This place is an OK place to work, but watch your back. . .everyone is in it for their own agenda. They are not there for the public as one would think in a municipality. Trust no one.
Great Guys to wrk with
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 25, 2013
there are a bunch of great guys to work with. the benefits are great. the pay is not enough to raise a family of 5.
Pros
steady work
Cons
low pay
It's a municipality!
COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 6, 2013
I enjoyed meeting people that worked for the city in different capacities.
Day of Play
Summer Playground Aide (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 3, 2013
Insure the health, safety, and entertainment of children.
Provided for entry level experience in municipal court system
Deputy Court Clerk / Hearing Officer (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 16, 2012
Overall, my experience led to being more aware of legal standards where municipal law is concerned. The environment could have been more professional and the pay grade could have been higher to speak to the duties of the position.