City of Albuquerque Employee Reviews

dont do it
Collections Driver (Former Employee) –  New MexicoDecember 1, 2017
Working for Bernalillo county P&R for 4 years has taught me more about children and parents than ever before! The staff are always willing to help you solve problems and the job is just fun!
Ok as a first job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 28, 2017
Not enough hours. I'm getting 2 per week and a 2 hour mandatory staff training every other week. Bad communication. No one finds out about critical information until last minute.
fun workplace
Playgrounds Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 26, 2017
great job that allows you to attend school. Is isn't stressful and you have great time if you like children. If you do your job well as a recreation leader there is a great chance you will get promoted to a supervisor position.
I loved working with all the down to earth "4Real" type of people.
Parks Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  6th Street and Mountain Albuquerque New MexicoOctober 28, 2017
This job didnt really seem to be ajob because I enjoyed what I did very much. The management was extremely helpful and laidback willing to put any employee to reach hire goals of what they thought would be difficult to accomplish. I had great teachers and a great boss named Robert Sanchez who was the supervisor of the parks department and now I'm sure is retired. I wish I could do it all over again I miss all the employees and the work atmosphere.
Pros
I learned so much in irrigation, pvc pipe and valve repairs and loved driving the lawn mowers.
Cons
Left my position to move to Jemez mountains with an ex boyfriend.Big mistake...
Very Satisfying working for the public
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 27, 2017
I put twenty years in with police department. I always wanted to be a police officer. The hardest part of the job was 80% of your job was routine, 9% was real scary. and 1% was real terror. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people. Sometimes financially,spiritually, or just a helping hand.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Sometimes working a holiday
Good job just did not fit my work life schedule.
Motorcoach operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 22, 2017
Good management, good coworkers, great benefits,long split shifts, treated horribly by customers. The problem I had personally was with the gangsters and thugs trying to get by without paying the fee and then act like they did or can't hear you, At that point you have to stop the buss until the fair is pair witch can put you behind schedule and PO a lot of passengers who need to get where there are going on time. I also had a problem with the schedule. I am a father and husband so the long split shifts did not work for me.
Pros
Good pay, Great benefits
Cons
Split shifts, 10+hr days, Treated poorly by some customers.
relaxing atmosphere with nice people
Office Worker III (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 10, 2017
My typical day of work included checking mail, answering phones, scheduling appointments and assisting the human resource department. I learned how to multi task and how an office environment was run.
A very fun and new learning job that is very engaging
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 9, 2017
I love this job, it is fast paced, rewarding and very flexible with hours. You learn and earn new skills. Fun and not stressful,very relaxed job. Recommend it if looking for a flexible job that works with school schedule.
Pros
Fun job learn new skills every day.
Cons
No paid vacations
Great place to work for summer or temporary job. Great staff and Management
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 29, 2017
After school, kids put their bags down and sign in. Before any play time, homework should be completed. After homework we provided snack for kids. After we took the kids to play outside participate in different activities.
While working as a Recreation Leader for the City of Albuquerque, working with kids became something I loved.
Pros
Child care experience
There are pros and cons to working for the City of Albuquerque.
Lead servicer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 28, 2017
I am very greatful and fortunate to work for the city of Albuquerque, Transit department, the pros to working for the City of Albuquerque are I have full benefits and a retirement pension. My job is secure and the city offers a lot to their employees in the way of counseling and education. The pay is mediocre at best. The cons are, Management needs to be overhauled, its difficult for women to advance. As a result of poor management, the overall morale of the employees throughout most of the city of Albuquerque department is down and is shows in there quality of work
Pros
Free admission to public pools, 1 round of golf, biopark, zoo, and abq shooting range
Cons
Advancement and equal opportunity for women in blue collar positions are inequal.
Worst Department Ever (former dept employee)
TRANSIT SUPPORT REP (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 28, 2017
Worked for this department for over a decade and had to leave to a new departmentrment. They lack respect for all and any employee. You are treated like a robot and made to know your place you are nothing to them and you are made to feel it... this job is the worst.Yeah job not career!!! Your fellow emplyoees are kind and nice but management is a hilarious joke. I do NOT RECOMMEND TRANSIT AS YOUR CITY ENTRY LEVEL JOB!!!!!!!!! You'll quit before probation is over or they'll fire you because you have an appointment or a family matter.
Pros
The city is good
Cons
This department is EVIL!!
Great place to work.
Circulation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 28, 2017
You meet a lot of great customers and it feels could that you can help them with what they need. It may be a book, a download, computer, help with voting registration.
Loved the work
Site Supervisor (Childrens summer lunch program) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 26, 2017
Promptly handled guest concerns and complaints. Greeted customers and provided excellent customer service. Reported to each shift on time and ready to work. Performed all position responsibilities accurately and in a timely manner.
a typical day at work
Office Assistant, Office of Child development (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 21, 2017
the city has good benefits, but how it is just depends on the department you work for and sometimes its who you know in order for you to be able to move up in positions.
dog eat dog world
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 18, 2017
They don't allow you any time for family or family events. I had a funeral requested two weeks in advance and was denied the day off to attend the family wake.
Good working conditions and people
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 18, 2017
Enjoy working with the people, but there are opportunities to improve the processes - especially with automation, such as in the municipal development area. Salaries are on the low side, with the exception of the most senior officials - many of whom are appointed.
Pros
Good work life balance.
Cons
Salaries on the low side.
horrible place to work
Transit Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2017
stay away from Albuquerque, NM....drive a transit bus on central is a nightmare. 12 hours per day for a mandatory 6 days of the week at $13.69 per hour. Dealing with drunks, drug addicted, prostitution.
Pros
Heathcare
Cons
mandatory 6 days work...low pay
Enjoyed working for this company.
Motorcoach Driver (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 7, 2017
I enjoy driving and meeting new people so this was definitly the job for me. They trained me to receive my CDL B and offered me employment.............
Very necessary location for senior adults to eat, visit, enjoy trips and events.
Barelas Senior Center and Highland Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 20, 2017
This job was so enjoyable I don't consider it work. I have been employed as a "temp" for three years and I would love to continue to work here but my contract expired and I am forced to seek employment elsewhere. Hopefully I can find another wonderful place to work!
Pros
Dances, food events, classes and presentations that I could join.
Cons
Very busy sometimes and hard to keep everyone happy.
Challenging and interesting work and an opportunity to help community
Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 10, 2017
No two days with the City are alike. Every day there are new challenges and issues to address. The City is an excellent place to learn and/or improve management skills.
Pros
Excellent benefits and great staff
Cons
Low wages