City of Albuquerque Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun enviroment
Recreation leader (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 4, 2016
I loved working with the children, got attached and kind of miss it. The children always drew me pictures or talked to me about their day, it was exciting and fun. One day we were playing dodgeball, I had thrown the ball and it smacked one of the kids in the head, we laughed about it all day. It was fun to work with the kids, I learned to be patient and fun. Management was good, always answering your questions. I had cool co-workers, we got along very well. The hardest part is to watch what you say around the children. I love playing with the children.
Ever changing environment
Parking Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 15, 2016
Days were long, aviation management uninterested in the well being of employees.
Co-supervisors were great, always willing to help out when needed and always made sure shifts were covered.
Former manager was tough but always had the absolute best in mind for the department. He expected the very best but created an atmosphere where you wanted to produce the very best.
I've learned that the saying is true "people don't quit jobs, they quit bosses", under different management I would love to return to my former position.
I loved the pace and the fact that you just never knew what was going to happen day to day. However that could sometimes be the down side as well.
Pros
Benefits, free gym
Cons
no breaks (for supervisors), no support from upper managment
just a job...a dangerous job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 3, 2015
our boss was crazy and under investigation by the city for numerous complaints. He was loud and lied all the time. I watched my fellow co-workers who were all good hard workers get fired or quit one bye one....one time 8 people quit all at once...that's when I came in...i toughed it out....too bad for everyone else...now i hear that he is gone as well everyone else being cut...the city's highways...I forty and I twenty five are about to get ridiculously dirty
Pros
not much
Cons
hot in summer
drama, drama, drama
Information Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 16, 2016
besides of all the drama the work is great and the sometimes you have the chance to advance.

it is all on who you know when you apply for a position

you need to know the right person in order to advance into a higher position. it is a place where is does not matter about your skills but who you k now
Love animals.productive in multi tasking learned conputer an integrity also learned the pros an cons of breeding oridance mico chip euthinizing. s
Multi task phone operater Animal care center (Former Employee) –  Lomas blv neApril 26, 2016
Was always bussy always multi tasking learning computer skills city oridance compliant uthinizing the animal self surrendering
Job for a good driver
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 9, 2016
Good place to work but not family orientated your hours are crazy and never appreciated for anything after 15 years no raise 13.00 hr

The only perk to seniority is the ability to be home by 1 pm
Pros
retire after 25 years
Cons
no breaks on route hassled by supervisors constantly
Fun and enjoyable times with children.
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 1, 2016
Working with the city was very fun and educational. A typical day would be spending time playing and doing homework with children. I learned how to talk to kids and how to handle money with the money handling class.
fun
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 3, 2016
Lifeguards that work for the city should be payed more then people who work at fast food but we ant. Co workers are great but nobody likes the pay. When working as a lifeguard you have to know so many things but you are payed the same amount as a fast food worker
Cesar Chavez
Park and Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 8, 2016
Great place to work at overall. Good pay and time spent. Great group of kids that come from troubled surroundings real down to earth. Its a tight knitted community to work in. Great co workers.
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 20, 2016
Main responsibilities consist of supervising as well as playing with the children. Also Make sure the spaced used is cleaned well at the end of the day. A good first job.
Pros
Stable hours
Cons
Cannot really expand your hours
productive and very friendly people to work with.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  albuquerque, NMMarch 28, 2016
I enjoyed working for the city and libraries. fun place to be in and all the people I worked with were very friendly. I learned a lot while I was there and kills ill use for the rest of my life.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 20, 2015
Good place to work for continued support and advancement. Excellent benefits, hours with overall positive outcomes for continued advancement and growth. A feeling of satisfaction in helping the public through the daily processes of government.
Great workplace with a lot to offer
Keep Albuquerque Beautiful Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 16, 2015
This job was a great job right out of high school. I work as an assistant to the Marketing Manager. I worked with computers on a daily basis, filing, creating reports, responding to COA residents, etc. I also started my own project called the Summer Beautification Project. This was a volunteer based project that sought out and restored neighborhoods in need of cleaning and beautification. I also work hands on with elementary schools in order to educate their youth about recycling. My department was small but my team was reliable and easy going.
Pros
fun environment, great learning experiences
Cons
low pay, not enough hours
Relaxed place to work awesome people to work with
SunVan Driver (Former Employee) –  AlbuquerqueOctober 12, 2015
I loved working for the city and driving all around Albuquerque. Loved the people I drove very fun to talk with the customers and get to know them. I would have love to continue my employment with them and retire unfortunately I don't know why I was separated.
Pros
Driving, the customers and time went by fast.
Cons
At will firing process. without any actions taken. verbal written final.
Cabq
Outdoor Pool Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 18, 2015
cabq is the city of albuquerque and is a governemental organization that employs about 5k people in the metropolitan area of albuquerque. It is the staple of albuquerques economy and is pretty gotham. There are plenty of batmen and batwomen trying to change the culture of complacencty but the old guard still holds the reigns and does not wish to power struggle to move the rusted gears.
Great benefits and retirement plan
Motor coach Operator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 8, 2014
The job provides a different environment everyday and offers a new experience. The benefits are great with a wonderful retirement pan. Management is there to help although a lot of managers are new they are very helpful. My co-workers (some) create a negative work environment with comments and the complaining they do it lowers morale among the new drivers. The job is only as hard as you make it (ATTITUDE)! The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people everyday.
benefits
Cons
limited breaks
Has a very New Mexican culture
Vehicle Service (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 16, 2015
Friend and family only club. Co- workers are nice sometimes and management need better social skills. There are indifference to work conditions, unless you are a friend or family member. However, it is steady work, but, you may not be treated very well by your supervisors if they are angry. Meaning that emotions will fly and you may get hurt due to a lack of understanding of how to separate work from home issues by your bosses. In addition, it is a very hen pecked order of hierarchy. But, if you can take for years on end and acculturate you may move up. Somewhat to a lower position.
Pros
must have friends and family to move up
Cons
no friends or family you do not move up
Being involved with the arts and working with local Albuquerque communities was excellent.
Theater and Video Instructor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 19, 2015
A typical day with the youth theater group involved a check in (reflection) with each student in a group at the Kimo Theater and the performance and writing exercises we did daily.
A typical day with the Cultural documentation was checking out video equipment and sound functioning.
I learned that young people are in extreme need of routine, respect and freedom.
The management of the department at this time in the history was changing but the support I received from City of ABQ Cultural Services was excellent.
The hardest part of the job was knowing that it was temporary.
The most enjoyable part of the job was work with NM youth and adults. Another most enjoyable part was observing the enormous pride and talent New Mexicans have in the field of the arts.
Pros
the best thing about this position was working in the kimo theater and videotaping local talent.
Cons
the only difficult thing about this job was knowing it was temporary.
Good Government Agency
Building Maintenance Coordinator ◼ E15 (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 6, 2015
A solid municipal government to work for anyone wanting to work in government. It is a good learning experience on how government processes work.
Great benefits, salaries good, work environment o.k.
Environmental Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  City LandfillDecember 21, 2014
A typical government workplace, but better than most. Had a lot fun working there, especially since I worked in so many different capacities.
Pros
great benefits, good pay, good people to work with.
Cons
occasional poor management, underfunded.