City of Albuquerque Employee Reviews

worked with a lot of very nice people
DISPATCHER FOR THE CITY (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 22, 2017
setting behind a desk and dispatching drivers for 8 hrs also keeping up with accidents and all paper work.the hardest [art of the job was starting so early in the morning
Pros
good insurance and benfits
Cons
no brakes and short lunch
Great place to volunteer with seniors, I met some wonderful friends.
Senior Companion (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 21, 2017
I called my client to see if they are up for a visit and talk about what they want to do in their 4 hour day. Sometimes I pick them up and we go to lunch, sometimes we go shopping or to appointments. Sometimes they do not feel like going out so we make lunch, talk, play cards, or watch TV. The management of the program work hard at getting training programs relevant to our work. The hardest part of the job is when you have to let go of them if they are sick or moving, but that is life. The seniors teach me a lot about life and I enjoy hearing about their lives.
Pros
Free lunch and paid training.
Cons
Mileage could be increased on the errands and trips and such.
Enjoyed working w/the children, teachers, & school principal
APD Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Alamosa Elementary & Bandelier ElementaryJune 9, 2017
Morning crossing children across busy street to enter school, repeat when school ended in the afternoon.

Learned that children respond to kindness, as well as knowing I enjoyed my job.

Management wasn't around a lot.

Workplace culture had many ethnic groups, and I worked well with all
groups.

Hardest part of this job was when school ended for each year, not knowing when you would see the children again.

Getting to know the children you crossed every year.
Pros
Enjoyed the children
Cons
Asking the traffic to slow down when I crossed the children
Supportive Management
Business Analyst/Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 15, 2017
Very supportive management. Enjoyed working there as a contractor.
Always work to do, had ability to go on site and learn parts of the job.
Worked directly with Mayor, police department, etc on Disaster Recovery
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Desk chairs were unsuitable
Would enjoy to adventure new job experiances
Transport Operator driver (Former Employee) –  City of albuquerque solid waste dept.May 4, 2017
I am a hard worker i retired from the city of albuquerque.i have worked in all aspects of the solid waste department i worked from tje bottom up not afraid to do any kind of work.i had a great career with solid waste was never afraid to learn something new i was state certified to run convinance centers recycling centers and composting certified..was upgraded most of my solid waste time but worked for the city for 26 plus years...
Pros
A good working enviorment
Cons
People thar dont like to work
Culture is very political
COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 2, 2017
In the City of Albuquerque it is not about what you know it is about who you know. The people in charge are never available to talk to and they are only there to fill a seat.
Pros
Cons
all
Great
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 13, 2017
I enjoyed working with the City. I met a lot of people. I learned a lot while working for them for many years.. I am grateful for all the people that helped me along the way.
Great benefits and pay, there is the culture of who you know to advance.
Access Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 31, 2017
Best part was working with the public and FBI, TSA etc. City provides excellent training in customer service, cash handling, phone systems, etc. Worked with a lot of smart individuals.
Good experience
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 30, 2017
Working for the City of Albuquerque was an eye opening experience. I was able to advance quickly and enjoyed my employment. I was able to do a lot of education and training. I was able to work closely with law enforcement.
Pros
Travel, Training
Run Away
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 30, 2017
This is where souls come to die, No one is willing to help you out, apathy and elitism rule these lands. Steady 9-5 if you're ready to give up on being happy.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
everything else
good company to work for.
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 24, 2017
It's a secure job, retirement and benefits are awesome. You can bid for job's to advance yourself and you have a union if you need help with job problems. They have and pay for your school or classes. If you can get in there would be no need to look for another job ever again.
benefits
Fun workplace. good communication with coworkers
Rec Leader (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 4, 2017
very good communication.
safe environment
flexible hours
didnt have to work on weekends
parents were always nice to me
the most enjiyable part of my job was to be able to play sports with the kids.
Good Benefits and Retirement
Planning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 20, 2016
If you can handle all the politics, and favoritism then this job is for you, otherwise I suggest you find something else. Not all city Departments are the same. One department might be great to work for, and then some are not. Do not apply for the Planning Department. They're always on the news.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
Politics and Favortism
great place to work
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 29, 2016
have to make games and job activities for kids of different age groups. you are caring for their well being as well as having fun. if you love kids I suggest working for a recreation center
Pros
free lunches and snacks
Cons
no breaks
truck driver
Lead Truck Driver Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 31, 2016
the hardest part about working at the city is the politics. my co-workers are great and hard working. i learned to drive a lot of different equipment.
Pros
the retirement and coworkers
Cons
management
Decent overall workplace
SENIOR AFFAIRS (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 20, 2016
Was a great place to work good interaction with the seniors and co workers also good quality customer service also great transportation for seniors and on time pickups.
I am a very hard worker, and eager to learn more to further my career in this type of employment.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 13, 2016
I do have experience in walk through metal detecters, and hand held detecters, and monitoring CCTVS, and answering phones, locking and unlocking door's. Also love this type of career, I have close to 13 year's experience in this type of work.
Pros
acknowledgement of good work
Cons
low pay
Very fun interacting with so many people and so many ages great experience overall.
Rec Leader (Current Employee) –  Los Duranes, NMOctober 12, 2016
I loved to work for the city interacting with seniors, kids of all ages, and parents it was very fun. It taught me how to open up and talk to all sorts of people. Now I can call my self a people person, I have gotten a lot more responsible and I have learned how to handle going to school as well as going to work without overwhelming my self.
Pros
Everyone is so easy to work with and get along with.
Cons
Only was aloud 30 hours a week.
relaxed and flexible
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 24, 2016
Usually, sits in the cash box, greeting people, taking admission. I've learned how to properly answer questions, handle large crowds of people, enter data into elo systems. Co-workers are all around my age. The hardest part of my job is being alone for long periods of time. The work hours are very flexible.
Pros
easy hours
Cons
no breaks
My time with the Albuquerque Police Department
Lieutenant, Southwest Area Command (Current Employee) –  Southwest Area CommandSeptember 10, 2016
My time spent as a member of the Albuquerque Police Department has been a rewarding experience. I have had the opportunity to work with great officers and lead great officers. Everyday at work presents exciting experiences and different challenges. The most enjoyable part of my job is being part of the team I lead.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Albuquerque. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Albuquerque Reviews by Location