City of Alexandria Employee Reviews in United States

Unorganized Administration
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMay 15, 2016
Working with kids as a student worker is rewarding. The problems are unnerving and stem from lack of communication, which is any job. It is all about what you make of it.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
communication with higher ups are the worst
Exceptionally Diverse
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 23, 2016
Well structured.

Opportunistic.

Geographically positioned in a Tri-Sate Mid Atlantic area.

Well established outpatient residential facilities with attributable residential , day program, case management, and crisis intervention services.
Records Clerk/Manager (Former Employee) –  301 King St., 4200April 11, 2016
City of Alexandria Department care about their customers. safety of the city and the staff. Customers are pleased with standards and principles used to by the city to ensure he customer service and assistance by the city.
Pros
15 minute breaks, acknowledgement of staff birthdays, and provide appreciation for staff
Cons
parking needed for city employees
Good Government Job for small town
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMarch 21, 2016
Normally, I just come in and take care of work order for people having problems with Outlook getting their email. Reset locked in accounts. Creating new accounts in Active Directory and Exchange. Maintain firewalls and all network routers and switches through our Extreme Networks suite. I virtually did not know much about the IT side of things before this job, but I have learned so much. My manager is great to work for, he doesn't have to check on me much as he trust what I do. My coworkers are great.
Pros
Easy atmosphere to work in.
Cons
Not enough staff when things go wrong. Pay.
Therapist/Clinical Recovery Coach (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day involved meeting with clients and helping them adjust to housing and medication management. I worked well with coworkers and really enjoyed teaching clients responsibility for success.
Pros
Reaching the clients
Cons
Clients leaving the facility and returning to homelessness
Day to day operation
Traffic Operations Technician (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 2, 2015
Oversee contractors on new installation of traffic signal or upgrade on existing traffic signal in the City. Also, locate utilities for all signalized intersection.
New blood needed
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 6, 2015
Would be a great place to work if the long-term employees who either aren't keeping up with technology or the market would retire; the new blood could whip the City into shape and become and employer of choice.
Adminitrative Officer I (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 25, 2015
The City of Alexandria is a great place to work, the people are friendly, the culture is unique, and there is always something to learn
Job was very good
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  301 King St. Alexandria, Va.August 15, 2015
The day to day work was very good. You kept busy and it made the day go by faster. We made various repairs at the Court House, City Hall, some libraries and other government buildings. It was hard work but the people I worked with were great.
Pros
Work was steady and fun
Cons
When they want you gone, they do everything they can to make it happen
They only Hire Black Peoples!!
IT Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 15, 2015
Very hard work if you work as a contract and I didn't learned anything. Management is very poor and they don"t noticed hard work at all.
boring
Trades Helper (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMay 24, 2015
Work wa slow most of the time. minimum training. got along with co workers. minimum training not enough to keep busy good hours
Pros
good benefits
Cons
borring
Bland, Boring and Old fashioned
Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) –  AlexandriaMarch 29, 2015
I was at the City for 4 years and couldn't get out of there sooner. Very little chance for upward mobility, departments were required to be EXTREMELY CHEAP in terms of training, travel, development, etc.

Little to no flexibility with regard to work hours or Telework. Dull work environment and although the people were nice, most were typical, boring steady Eddy types with no personality and attitudes of "1 more day until Friday."

Salaries at the City tended to be about 10% less than its jurisdictional counterparts.

Management is usually fair about stuff, which is about the only positive I can think of.

Horrible place to work and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMarch 24, 2015
Working with the money that the city brings in is a little stressful. I loved the job and everyone was great there. The hardest part of the job was making sure the money was perfect. The enjoyable part of the job was working with the customers in the utility office.
Community Development Administrator (Current Employee) –  625 Murray Street, Alexandria LAFebruary 6, 2015
• Oversees the activities of the Community Development Department; supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals; conducts interviews and makes hiring recommendations.
• Prepares and submits the annual federal and state funded budget for approval; analyzes, prepares and presents monthly departmental budget reports, updates and budgetary activity data; submits financial reports to peers and staff members; provides financial analysis and the potential impact of requested expenditures; prepares requests for draws from the federal cash management system; monitors the economic development loan programs for compliance with regulations; maintains subsidiary ledger on payments; maintains subsidiary ledgers for housing programs; reconciles financial records.
• Supervises the maintenance of records according to requirements of municipal, state and federal agencies; monitors changes in rules, regulations and laws pertaining to related programs; provides training in legislative changes; prepares requests for proposals for profit and non-profit entities; publishes advertisement for bids, requests for applications and proposals and other advertisements to meet federal notification requirements.
• Coordinates and conducts citizen participation efforts, including public hearings in the development of plans.
• Prepares environmental review records for all HUD activities according to NEPA regulations.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state and
  more... local regulations including City ordinances, HUD CDBG and HOME, NEPA, LESGP and OMB for financial management.
• Monitors non-profit agencies for compliance with applicable federal and state regulations.
• Monitors capital projects funded with CDBG funds for compliance with all federal regulations.
• Inspection of abandoned and blighted properties – As an International Code Councils – Certified Building Official, I have the authority to make inspections in all aspects of building construction and uphold the laws and management practices pertaining to building construction.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
lower pay
Main responsibility was to supervise therapist working with seroiusly mentally ill consumers
Therapist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  720 N St. Asaph StJanuary 21, 2015
During my career I also worked as an enumerator for the 2010 census
Flexible and great benefits
Clerical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LADecember 1, 2014
A very laid back workplace, as long as you get your work done. There are opportunities for promotion. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the many personalities of your co-workers.
Pros
benefits (medical, holidays off, and dinners)
Cons
difficult employees
Firefighter
Firefighter II (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 27, 2014
I enjoy helping other that's what makes this job worthwhile. The long hours are worth it. Great benefits and great sense of gratification when a job is well done. They offer great training and competitive pay.
always learning
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  AlexandriaNovember 17, 2014
I enjoy handling the compliance matters and dealing with DHH, DEQ and the EPA. All the vendors are such a pleasure to work with.
Great People
Personnel Analyst (Internship) (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, laOctober 26, 2014
Love the people and the environment. Learning so much about Human Resource and Civil Service process.
Pros
learning human resource process
Cons
non
Great
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 17, 2014
I loved my co workers, my supervisor. The events we held were always fun.

City of Alexandria Reviews by Location