City of Alexandria

City of Alexandria Employer Reviews

Great People
Personnel Analyst (Internship) (Current Employee), Alexandria, laOctober 26, 2014
Pros: learning human resource process
Cons: non
Love the people and the environment. Learning so much about Human Resource and Civil Service process.
Great
Recreational Leader (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAOctober 17, 2014
I loved my co workers, my supervisor. The events we held were always fun.
Ended too soon.
Building Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Alexandria, VASeptember 24, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: government job that allowed cuts in staff.
This was an excellent job but it ended to soon. Unfortunately there were budget cuts and I was layed off.
Contracts & Purchasing Technician (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAAugust 19, 2014
Pros: benefits, retirement options
Cons: management in some departments need more training
I started here years ago and things have really changed over the years. I still believe that it's a great place to grow with the right managment.
Laid Back Fun
Summer Sports Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAApril 13, 2014
Pros: sports
Cons: summer ended and so did the job
fun running a camp
get to play all day and it the work day with a dip in the pool!
relaxing summer job
kept me in shape
the kids are eager to learn new athletic skills
Great city
Division Chief, Technology, Data, and Analysis (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAApril 10, 2014
Service focused - use of strategic goals and accountability amongst all staff and programs
Poor Management
Traffic Survey Technician/ Traffic Specialist (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 18, 2014
I was laid off from a reduction in force, because of poor account, and city management.
Not a very good place to work
Budget / Management Analyst II (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: benefits ok
Cons: professional growth is difficult to attain
I was a budget analyst for the City of Alexandria for over 13 years.
Typical workplace
Account Clerk III (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: state gov't
Cons: under staffed
Over worked and under paid. Job Riffs, and short staffed. Each year health care goes up. No raises nor merrit increases.
Productive employees that strive for company growth
Support Engineer (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 10, 2014
This is a wonderful diverse environment. The Staff is amazing!
Productive, highly integrated workplace. Culturally enriched population of cliental.
Graduate Student Intern (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJanuary 15, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of working directing with foster children, resource parents, and the biological parents of children involved with Child Protective Services. As an intern I did home visits, attended court hearings, and took part in diagnostic family assessments. I was also responsible for writing psychosocial reports. Management was ran – more... by the city of Alexandria and well overseen. My co-workers were from the Community Services Board for the city of Alexandria, as well as the Virginia Department of Health. The hardest part of the job was getting parents to participate and cooperate with all meetings and phone interviews. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing children who came from disturbing households and family environments thrive in their new settings. – less
Extremely Conservative Government Organization that lacks a cohesive plan
Regional Program Director (Current Employee), Alexandria, VaDecember 2, 2013
Pros: good pay, flexible hours, and good benefits
Cons: department lacks vision, inconsistent messaging from leadership and very top heavy organization.
Responsible for setting the strategic direction as well as the day to day operational and financial management, administration, supervision and leadership of facilities.
A job to retire from
Refuse Driver (Former Employee), Alexandria, LANovember 25, 2013
Pros: retirement, benefits and pay
Cons: collecting refuse
A typical day would be coming in, finding out if i was driving a refuse truck or on the back of one and go do the job. I learned various routes, how to operate the cherry picker and a refuse truck. Co-workers were really good people that I am still in touch with. The hardest part of the job was having to collect refuse. The most enjoyable was that you – more... started the day early and finished the day early. – less
Advanced skills with client interactions
Benefits Specialist II (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAOctober 31, 2013
case management is a huge part of the day
prioritizing and organizing case to meet deadlines
intercepting clients that are experiencing crisis mode
Overall, the City of Alexandria is a nice place to work. The City Council is very involved in staff day-to-day operations which offered a challenge.
Secretary II - T&ES (Former Employee), City Hall, Old Town Alexandria, VASeptember 26, 2013
Pros: worked in old town alexandria, city staff functioned as a team, good benefits.
Cons: none to speak of except the issue of parking. residents and staff both had issues with that.
My position was in the office of the director of transportation. Because City Council members were so closely involved with our operation, which included public works, the day began with phone calls and visits from city residents. My position also included liaison with the managers's office and council members' offices.

I learned that my best friend – more... was patience.

Management was very hands on.

The hardest part of my jobs was responding to, at times, unreasonable requests by residents. However, I received the highest rating in this category on my performance evaluation.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the sense of team work with not only members of my department but staff from other departments. – less
Great Learning environment
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Alexandria, VASeptember 19, 2013
Pros: working with adults with mental health/substance abuse issues. team work
Cons: short lunches
Meet with residents to monitor medications. Assist with case management. Assure that treatment plans are implemented.
Very Productive
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Alexandria, VASeptember 1, 2013
Had Great days. Better production during hours. Co-Workers; very intellegent.
Fast paced work environment
HR Technician I (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 23, 2013
Pros: free parking
Cons: overworked and underpaid
I've learned that I can't change everything and some things aren't going to change. I enjoy working in the field of Human Resources.
Fast pace workplace
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 27, 2013
Pros: got to prepare and eat lunch with clients on a daily basis.
Cons: short breaks, few advancement opportunities
A typical day for me was meeting with clients on a daily basis, engaging in group discussions and activities to provide health and wellness. I worked with a very supportive team, but the hardest part of my job was having to develop new groups/curriculums every 10 weeks. The most enjoyable part of my job was watching my clients achieve their goals.
Human Services
Eligibility Worker II (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 18, 2013
As a former employee of the City of Alexandria, my goal was to work and assist the needs of the less fortunate by completing the necessary documents and working to assist in meeting the needs of them families.