City of Ann Arbor Employee Reviews

Don't be fooled! Down the drain (utilites and public works department)
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Michigan wheeler garageJanuary 6, 2017
Don't be fooled because it says "City of Ann Arbor"!
Employees are not loyal,miserable,complain about everything and will throw you under the bus in a heart beat.
Management and supervisors are out of touch with reality,un-educated with work at hand,have no idea what employees are doing,and will only get involved if it effects them. Very un-organized.Not good!
Union is a joke! You pay dues to get nothing. They are broke and only interested in your money.There is NO job security!
The only thing good at this place is the equipment.
In the past this was probably a good place to work,not anymore.
Investigate and talk to people before applying,otherwise you will be extremely disappointed.
Pros
Good equipment and facilities
Cons
terrible work enviroment, bad management, major stress
Very good and professional experience
Civil Engineering Intern - Project Management Unit (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 28, 2016
Very good and professional experience, all of the team members were very helpful. The experience that I gained was exceptional.
Pros
Very helpful team members
Cons
limited experience
work outside
parks and rec (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 5, 2016
good place to work,most people are great to work with.Some days we weed whip for 8 hours.Very satisfying to finish a park and it loks nice.
Working for the City of Ann Arbor was a great experience
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 3, 2016
A typical work day at the City flies by, we always stayed busy. I learned multiple things that I can use throughout the rest of my life. My supervisors were awesome and very organized. My coworkers were very helpful, we always worked as a team. A job is a job I don't consider any part of it being hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was the set schedule.
Going down the drain...
Water Utility Technician (Former Employee) –  City of Ann Arbor, MINovember 3, 2015
Ann Arbor is suppose to be a progressive town, however the people that work for it are bigoted, self-righteous, and selfish. Benefits are drying up. The union is useless. Management looks out only for themselves. Morale is slowly dwindling. Stay as far away as you can from this place!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work culture, management, no personal growth, low morale
Good working environment.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 20, 2015
Hiring for temporary work ONLY! Friendly co-workers and supportive management. Longer hours based upon weather conditions. HR is helpful.
The most rewarding outdoor job I have ever had.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 2, 2015
Getting up early is tough, filling divots for nearly 8 hours a day can be lonely and draining. However, putting in the work is worth it, because the golf course looks beautiful when you keep up the effort. Golfers will sincerely thank you for your effort, and the time spent outdoors can be quite refreshing.
Pros
Nature, sunshine, autonomy, golf carts, free fountain drinks, occasional work parties.
Cons
Weather, getting dirty, some manual labor
Wonderful Chance for Internships
Technology Internship (Former Employee) –  Field OperationsMarch 13, 2013
Worked as a technology Intern. The only down side was that the compensation for someone with a Master's was really low. And the positions are only 10 months & temporary.
Pros
donut & popcorn friday. great supervisors
Cons
temporary
Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 8, 2013
Wonderful employees to work with including Management, I learned to render decisions by analyzing documentation being submitted violator.
Pros
opportunity to make decisions
Cons
it was a temporary position
Stressful Days at times
Occupancy Specialist WL, P, HQS (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborJuly 25, 2012
Interviewing, screening, approving applicants for the Section 8 program to receive a voucher. Management direction changed several times while I worked at the City. The hardest part of my job was not having enough resources for the people who were in need.
Pros
assisting the eldery/disabled and families in need.
Cons
negative experiences reoccured more often than i cared to experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Ann Arbor. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Ann Arbor Reviews by Location