CLASS/TITLE: Director of Economic Development
DEPARTMENT: Economic Development
REPORTS TO: Mayor
SALARY RANGE: $50,000 - $60,000
SUMMARY: Advises the Mayor and the Economic Development Commission on matters relating to the promotion and development of the economic resources for the City of Ansonia to improve the tax base, employment, and stimulate business activity. Works on the City’s behalf to help retain and/or expand existing businesses, and recruit new businesses to the City of Ansonia. Assumes administrative responsibilities for development, research and recommendation of procedures to encourage, track, implement, and monitor projects and programs. Seeks out financing to support economic growth and community development.
SUPERVISION: Receives general direction from the Mayor, and policy guidance from the Economic Development Commission (EDC). Works with independence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote, plan, market and direct the business recruitment, retention and expansion for business development in the City of Ansonia.
- Identify community compatible business prospects and execute the City’s Plan of Economic Development to secure establishing those businesses in the City of Ansonia.
- Maintains inventory of pertinent information for the use of business development in the City of Ansonia in a database of business prospects, and available land and building sites for prospective investors.
- Informs and provides that key information to real estate and development professionals about available sites for potential prospects.
- Designs, organizes, markets and prepares tours, trade missions, seminars, workshops, meetings, conferences, etc… to promote economic and community development activities.
- Works with existing businesses to retain their presence in the City of Ansonia and assist with any expansion plans.
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual budget for Economic Development; direct the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, marketing materials and supplies and any special projects and/or programs.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with City Staff, Boards, Commissions, Elected Officials and Community groups, such as, Chamber of Commerce.
- Recommends policies that encourage balanced economic assistance to City officials, private developers, and others interested in guiding proposals through the regulatory process. Provides continuing technical assistance to City officials, private developers, and others interested in guiding proposals through the regulatory process.
- Reports regularly on economic and community development strategies and prospects to the Economic Development Commission (EDC) and attends the EDC monthly meeting.
- Establishes and maintains working relationship with federal, state, regional and local development agencies.
- Researches and analyzes Economic Development issues including legislation, policies, annual reports and correspondence and prepares responses to information requests from the public and private sectors.
- Maintains correspondence and prepares periodic reports as required by State and Federal Grant programs. Works with City Grant Writer, EDC and VCOG (Valley Council of Governments) for submission of economic development grants to benefit the City of Ansonia.
- Conduct him/her self in a manner that is respectful, professional and that is representative of high moral standing and character in all dealings with the public, Boards / Commissions and the Mayor.
The above duties and responsibilities describe the most significant duties performed and are not to be considered a detailed description of every duty of the position. Other occasional and related duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- An open and willing attitude. One who is receptive to assistance, suggestions, assigned projects, and who understands the importance of business and community relations.
- Knowledge of local government, policy and procedures and the structure of the City of Ansonia
- Computer skills including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Ability to communicate through mass electronic means to business leaders and the public.
- Ability to present oral and written reports, including statistical analyses in a clear concise and coherent manner.
- Ability to compose correspondence, letters, press releases and articles for publication.
- Must be able to calculate figures and mounts, such as, discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume and knowledge of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to work independently
- Thorough knowledge of municipal planning and development principles and practices.
- Required to follow all city of Ansonia’s Policies, Rules and Regulations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and listen. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to, handle, feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree and experience in Economic Development or Business Development with demonstrated planning, marketing and public relations skills
- 3 – 5 years of work experience in this field
- Must have and maintain a valid Connecticut Motor Vehicle License
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually noisy.
Ability to read and interpret documents. Ability to write reports and correspondence and ability to speak effectively.
An Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
QUESTIONS CONTACT: Ms. Edith Morales - Personnel - 203-736-5922
Indeed - 18 months ago