City of Asheville Employee Reviews

INTERN (Current Employee) –  City of Asheville, NCMay 19, 2017
The people make it worth being here. The CIO believes in work/life balance, and his managers agree with his philosophy. To top it off, the technicians work with each other to put customers first!
Treasury Accountant position
Treasury Accountant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 26, 2016
Consisted of downloading previous daily bank activity reconciling to cash batches of all outlets of city. Government accounting was new to me coming from private industry for most of my accounting career, took some adjusting. A lot of changes occurred over the 6+ years I was there especially in management, coworkers were team oriented and easy to work with, outlets took some patience teaching accounting to non accounting personal was a challenge. But hard working people always try to do their best and this was the case here. The best part of the my job was, I was allowed to work unsupervised using my judgement to get the job done and when needed requesting help from coworkers.
Pros
work days were flexible
Cons
pay was below normal industry
Great place to work.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 20, 2016
Having to review a company before I can move off this page is annoying. COA is great, this system not so much. A 20 word minimum is what I am typing now.
Constant change
Senior Stormwater Inspector (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 8, 2015
In the almost 10 years I have been here my division has been shifted between 3 different departments with 3 different directors.
They have a tendency to put people in positions of power that aren't necessarily the most qualified.
They throw out budget scares every year so employees won't expect raises.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Unstable
Amazingly unique water plant direct filtration from the pure waters of the Appalachains.
Water Plant Operator III (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 6, 2014
Working for the City of Asheville's water production division for the past 6 years has been an amazing adventure. It's a very unique place to work as it is one of the few Municipalities to have protective rights over its entire watershed. Anywhere that water can enter the 450 acre Burnett Reservoir from the blue ridge parkway to the lake is protected and patrolled and entrance is strictly prohibited with the exception of school and scheduled tours. But even the cleanest of surface waters need to be disinfected to neutralize dangerous and even life threatening bacteria and viruses. The North Fork water treatment plant filters and treats over 20 Million Gallons per Day of clean, safe, and aesthetically pleasing water for the citizens of Asheville North Carolina and the surrounding satellite townships.
Pros
unique work schedule, 8 days on and 6 days off
Cons
low pay comparable to other municipalities in North Carolina
Local Government Position Provided Long Term Benefits
Buyer Senior/Interim Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 3, 2013
Left the local government position in 2007 during the early budget challenge period. Position was challenging, benefits were good at the time. Retirement was reason for leaving.
Pros
Position was not subject to elimination
Cons
Some portions of work were repetitve
corrupt
Senior Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 6, 2013
The department is not a a place I would recommended. The command staff is very corrupt and only for those who drinks the Kool-Aid.
Fun place to work, respectful and friendly coworkers
Customer Service II (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 6, 2012
I truly enjoyed working for the City of Asheville. I had great supervisors, they are people who truly care about you. The office was filled with wonderful coworkers, and we considered ourselves a big family. I miss them very much.