City of Aurora

City of Aurora Employer Reviews

Swim and Work
Water Safety Instructor, Life Guard (Current Employee), Aurora, COJune 30, 2014
Pros: flexible, simple
Cons: short term
I enjoy this company, but don't find myself staying here forever. It's ideal for someone going to school as a part time job, but there certainly is not much room for personal advancement.
Great people and administration to work for.
Traffic Signs and Markings Specialist II (Former Employee), Aurora, COMarch 24, 2014
Pros: stable job, good work environment, personal vehicle.
Cons: raises, and healthcare started to decline
A typical day would consist of fabricating street name signs, and installing them. I learned to be a team player and to work closely with my co-workers. Management was alright, although when it was time for reviews it could become a little dicey. My co-workers for the most part were professional and conducted themselves as such. The hardest part of – more... the job was actually dealing with the public when installing no parking signs in front of someone's home. The most enjoyable part of the job was to ride around the city and be proud of the pavement markings, street names signs, and other jobs that were completed by our crews. – less
Professional, progressive environment
Client Services Manager, I.T. Department (Former Employee), City HallMarch 1, 2014
Pros: breat benefits
Cons: advancement opportunities are limited for most.
Working for the City of Aurora was a great experience. Great people, great benefits.
A lot of different challanges!
Program Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee), Aurora, COFebruary 13, 2014
With an ever changing environment like a call center, adjustments had to continously be made. At times the demand felt overwhelming but there was a solid team of reps, and supervisors to help keep it in order.
Lifeguarding is serious yet fun
Lifeguard/ Instructor (Current Employee), Aurora, CONovember 16, 2013
Pros: fun, good pay
Cons: no benifits or full time positions
I've been working for the city for 4 years. It can be boring watching people swim for hours and hours, but my coworkers make it worth it. We all have diverse backgrounds and it makes for an entertaining workplace. I also teach lessons which is both fun and rewarding. I really enjoy working with the children.
Zoning
Planner (Former Employee), Aurora, ILNovember 7, 2013
As you can see by my resume, I have several years of experience on the public side and private side. By having this experience, I can offer a larger range of expertise in the field of development as well as other Community Development Department needs. Being able to coordinate meetings and discussions with a wide array of individuals, I am able to negotiate – more... and facilitate the needs of both sides of the table.

While working for the City of Aurora, I was introduced to a wide array of areas within the Community Development Department. Although my emphasis was on the development side, I did aide fellow co-workers in the Planning Department, Historic Preservation and Code Enforcement. Being able to coordinate my skills with these departments has made me a well rounded individual within the department.

I have extended these skills in my previous private sector job. As the Planning & Zoning Manager for Orleans Homebuilders, my emphasis was on the Entitlements for the company. As I grew in this position, my areas of interest were utilized in other fields. I was first introduced to land development and land acquisition and finally into market research. All areas of these fields were demanding in their own way. I quickly grasped the knowledge of each area and excelled at them. As part of my education at Orleans, I have come to grasp the basic knowledge of civil engineering practices as well as best management practices.

While working at the Village of Hoffman Estates, I was able to expand my knowledge in the Community Development Block Grant portion of the Planning Division. I was in charge of administering the CDBG projects for the Village and maintain all aspects of the program. I was also involved in re-writing the fee schedule and building design guidelines prior to my departure. Within this role, I was able to further my understanding of site plan reviews and annexation agreements.

At my most recent job, I was able to branch out my experience of zoning and permitting with SAC Wireless. During this time, I was able to work with numerous municipalities throughout the nation regarding zoning approvals and pulling building permits for telecommunication tower upgrades. This position provided me the opportunity to get my foot back into the planning field.

While working for all entities, I have had the ability to fine-tune my public speaking skills. While with both companies, I prepared and presented reports to all levels of Municipal meetings. Along with these meetings, I had the opportunity to meet with local and state officials to discuss plans and projects.

While embarked with a tremendous workload with all companies, I have had the ability to tackle more than one project at a time. This is essential in both areas of my career and has proven to be beneficial to me and therefore able to carry on this trait as I move forward with my career. – less
I have never had to work a day in my life!
Telecommunicator Specialist (Current Employee), Aurora, CONovember 3, 2013
Pros: statifaction of exceling in my line of work.
Cons: poor leadership and management team.
My father has always told my "If you do something you enjoy. You never have to work a day in your life!"

I am fortunate enough to be one of those lucky few. I believe in why we do what we do within the City of Aurora Public Safety Communications Department.

My co-worker, for the most part, are amazing.
Productive and fun workplace dealing with elementary students in Aurora Public Schools
After School Leader/ Field Monitor (Current Employee), AuroraOctober 26, 2013
Pros: engaging with students
Cons: insufficient hours
Great Summer Camp
Summer Counselor (Former Employee), Aurora, ILOctober 24, 2013
A great summer program the children love it and the counselors love being there.
City Hall-must like public service!
Finance Clerk (Former Employee), Aurora, ILSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits. central location. incentive opportunities
Cons: teamwork could been better. i moved on to police dept to expand growthth
Finance and billing clerk for utilities, water, ambulance, parking permits and city budget. Switchboard and community bulletins. Town hearings and complaints.
productive working environment, something new every day
Seasonal Employee (Current Employee), Aurora, ILJune 29, 2013
Pros: almost never the same job two days in a row, something new
Cons: only seasonal
every day there are new jobs to do, such as city cleanup, landscaping, set up for city events, watering plants around town, etc.
Flexible Schedules and Promotion Potential
Manager on Duty, Instructor (Current Employee), Aurora, COJune 25, 2013
The City of Aurora Aquatics Division has a flexible schedule and management that works to help you meet your own personal goals and needs. Each mamanger knows you personally and helps guide you to become an outdoor pool manager, headguard, or water safety instructor. The staff at your pool become your second family and you gain vital leadership and – more... interpersonal skills while dealing with patrons and staff alike. – less
Great team to work with at rec center
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Aurora, COMay 11, 2013
Pros: free gym facility and fun people
Cons: grumpy old people and dealing with city budgets
I worked with a great group of people who needed to run a older rec center on a shoestring budget. Glad they were finally able to have renovations done to the center because it is a great place to work at.
great temporary work
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Aurora, ILMarch 16, 2013
great place to work they treat the staff great and such fun and out going coworkers
Customers were great, working for the city possibly the worst employer I've experienced
PROS Dept (Former Employee), Aurora, COMarch 11, 2013
Pros: the parks i worked at were really nice, and the customers i served were very good.
Cons: no chance for advancement, management only cares about themselves and advancing their careers.
I would never suggest anyone work for the City of Aurora in the Parks, Recreation,and Open Space department. You will only advance if you are a "Yes" man. Managemnet only cares about their own personal advancement. The last time I saw a group of people that was this cliquey was in Jr. High. For your own health and sanity for the love of God DONT WORK – more... HERE! Management will ask for suggestions to improve processes, saying all ideas will be considered, then disregard every idea thought of outside of the management groups. They will expect you to work 70-90 hours a week yet only want to pay you for 40. They will ask you to work for free. A minor infraction will result in a major write up. – less
A great place to work.
Library Clerk (Current Employee), Aurora, COFebruary 4, 2013
The staff and management are great to work with. My positions allows me to engage with citizens on a daily basis. They make the city and my department what it is. It is a very rewarding feild.
A great place to work.
Library Clerk (Current Employee), Aurora, COFebruary 4, 2013
Very Professional, High level work.
Risk Specialist (Former Employee), Aurora COJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: work environment - important work
Cons: temp position, i fell in love with the work in the first week, did not want to leave.
This was only a Temp-position. So sad. The culture, the people, the work were great. I had hoped a position would have opened up by the time I left, but Timing is Everything. I worked in the Risk Management Dept a division of Internal Services. I learned so much in such a short time. I could not have asked for a better assignment.
loved this job.
Parks Maintenence (Former Employee), Aurora, CODecember 6, 2012
i enjoyed working at this job due to the fact that it didnt take a boss looking over my shoulder every minute of the day.
Has great values for their customers/citizens and excellent sick/vacation
Senior Admin Accounting Tech (Former Employee), Aurora, ColoradoOctober 18, 2012
Pros: co-workers appreication, finance picnic, awards
Cons: health care, most have degree to advance
Typical day:Thank God for getting me to work safely. I logon my PC, check e-mails, voice mail, mailbox. Then I put them in order from the most difficult to easy. I greet co-workers, then I check out the coffee bar for free goodies.

What I learned: It isn’t easy to be supervisor; he/she deals with so many different personalities and conflicting issues – more... in regards to their staff and upper management. It’s hard to make everyone happy.

Management the same as above.

Co-workers: I had the most enjoyable co-workers. We were like family they liked you when you were right/wrong, sad/happy or down and out. We knew when to be silly and when to be serious.

Hardest part of my job: When I make an honesty mistake/human error and it affected my co-workers. Example one day I keyed in $10,000 when it should have been $1,000. It cost myself and the Accountant time to locate the error.

Most enjoyable part of my job: Getting a thank you, a smile, e-mail or kudos to my supervisor from customers; even when things don't go their way. And when we can wear jeans to work. – less