City of Austin Employee Reviews

Abia
Airport Operations Specialist (Temporary Employee) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 26, 2017
If you choose to work for the COA, save yourself and do not work at ABIA. The city has its own HR at the airport and the pull many shady undercover shames to promote their favorites and fire those who cant be brain washed.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
HR and Managment
Great first high school job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2017
Excellent part time job for any high schooler looking to advance their job experiences, have CPR training, and improve their physical fitness and swimming ability.
Productive Place to Work
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 21, 2017
This company believes in promoting from within which is a huge encouragement for the staff.
The salary is fair which is always a good thing. The benefits are also very comparable to the private sector, so employee retention is good at this agency.
Pros
Get Healthy Initiatives
great peple
Planner I, PDRD (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78748June 19, 2017
I loved working for the City. I would never have left if I weren't offered twice my wage by a recruiter from Hewlett-Packard. The benefits were great. My co workers were the best people I've met in Austin and the work we did was rewarding. I really liked being an essential part of my community in this position.
Can be a stressful place to be employed
Division Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 18, 2017
City Management lacks leadership. Until a new City Manager is hired and completes his/her staff, the current staff will be over worked and not have consistent leadership.
Fun place to work!!
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 10, 2017
Working for the city of Austin was fun. Working with a team that was enjoyable to be around. You must keep up with renewing certifications but you are paid to do so.
easy and temporary
Facilitator for youth summer employment program (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 8, 2017
It is a non profit more so a volunteer position than a job. In this I had to advise teens on what one would expect while doing an interview or other job related subjects.
Good for the complacent
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 5, 2017
It's a great place, especially if you want a laid back place. The primary problem, that exists within most governments, is the apathy and inefficiency. I would rather have stringent deadlines than work in such disarray. Maybe it's the particular office I am in, but the lack of passion really weighs down on you after a while. If I had a family and less ambition, I would most certainly appreciate the job security and benefits a lot more than I do now.
Pros
Job security, Pension, Overall Great Benefits
Cons
Apathy, Dinosaur ways of doing business
Great for front line workers, but not so much for admin staff
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 2, 2017
front line workers have career progressions that allow them to advance to the next titled position without having to go through the hiring process; however, admin staff do no have this. Also, Admin are required to hit very high levels of metrics percentiles just to "meet" requirements for annual reviews. I was passed over 3 times for advancement before deciding to look for employment elsewhere.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Demands out way the rewards
Not what was promised
Night Manager (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2017
This job promises a lot, but doesn't come thru their promises. Lots of driving but no compensation for it. Long hours, but don't want to pay for it.
Crossing Guard
Child Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 28, 2017
Very rewarding job. Great satisfaction helping elementary school children cross busy street to get to and from school. Gives back to community. I like the hours as they are split shifts and enable me to take care of task away from the job. Highly recommend this job for a retiree.
Pros
Gives back to our community
Cons
not enough hours
Job was a 3 month government internship
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2017
The internship was for an associates degree in government from Austin Community College. The work was minimal and was not intellectual, but the co-workers were professional and nice.
Pros
received an associates degree
Cons
distance from my residence
Its fun and relaxing
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2017
I loved working for the City of Austin as a lifegaurd. The people were amazing, so nice, and all of them have such a great personality. I liked working with them alot.
Pros
Go swim on a break, have good down time.
Fantastic Job
Lifeguard II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 19, 2017
This job was pretty great. Awesome Pay, at least 20 hours a week. A little stressful, but thats true of an lifeguarding job. Pretty easy as well, never had to save anyone.
Pros
Pay, Outside
Cons
Stressful
Awesome Workplace
Ground Transportation Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 19, 2017
Working for the City of Austin is rewarding and exciting. There is not a dull moment working for the city and serving its citizens. I am proud to be a City employee and thankful for the opportunity to serve.
Pros
everything
Guarding at Barton Springs
Full-time Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 16, 2017
A job could not be better than as an open water guard at Barton Springs. It is a culture of helping save lives, knowing one day you will have to jump in and save an active drowning person. The people I work with are professional and courteous. Patrons are thankful to the lifeguards for protecting them.
Pros
Barton Springs Pool
Cons
It gets hot and sweaty.
Water Utility
Administrative Associate III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 11, 2017
I was so excited to be working with the City of Austin. It was a great learning experience. It was nice to be acknowledged as a team player and to learn as fast as I did.
Pros
learning
Cons
alone a lot of the time
Learning
Financial Screener (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 11, 2017
The first job outside of high school. Lots to learn quick due to a fast paced environment. Learned to help others and ask for help when needed. Work extra hours to keep everything caught up.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
not enough time in a day
Learning
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 11, 2017
Checking in more than 90 patients per day that were there for medical reasons. Multi-lined telephones never stop ringing. Trying to collect co-pays from people who sometimes don't have enough money for food.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Heartfelt
very nice co.workers and nice place to build a career
trash crew (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 27, 2017
the day at work went by so fast and was very short due to the energy put towards each other such as co.workers ..ive learned how to manage w people and deal w people more better in such many ways ! talking getting along , helping one another dependence on one another , u name it! ... just the whole vibe in the city of austin has made me a proud worker of the city and very thankful and recommend them to all my family and friends !
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
no overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2