City of Austin Employee Reviews

Exciting and interesting city to live in.
Electronics Traffic Signals Technician (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Great City and Benefits.
Cons: Traffic.
Constant change and complex but interesting. I have learned essential information in the regards to the overall understanding of traffic signals and operation.
Excellent benefits, but progress is slow
CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: lack of necessary resources (staffing, budget, etc.)
The department I work for is extremely stressful and highly scrutinized. The staff is great and cares very much about the work that they do, but, unfortunately, lacks critical resources required to complete the job satisfactorily. Management does their best to keep the ship afloat and take care of their employees. Implementing change can be very slow going, as it is municipal government and most things require cutting through several feet of red tape. The benefits are exceptional and it is a great place to gain work experience, broaden one's horizons, and make a decent living.
Great Environment
Admin Support (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 27, 2015
Very enjoyable place to work, friendly coworkers, and very helpful with any obstacles you may face. Truly enjoyable culture that wants to provide the best service possible.
Mixed Feelings
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 21, 2015
Pros: Great for the animals
Cons: Immature co-workers
This is actually a review for the Austin Animal Center. I loved everything about my job duties there. It was amazing. I wish every shelter could be like this one. However, I was only a temporary worker. The city decided to end all temporary positions in my department, so the day after Christmas I was told I had no job. No warning, nothing. Needless to say the holidays were terrible. Compensation is decent, I didn't receive benefits because I was a temp. Co-workers constantly fight and gossip. It's just like high school. They all care about the animals though, so the work gets done. The hardest part of the job was the people I had to work with - supervisors sit in their office all day so they have no idea what goes on in the exam rooms/work areas and they don't do anything if you bring anything to their attention. Most enjoyable part is the animals! Oh, beware - the hiring process takes MONTHS!
Fun environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 13, 2015
I learn new procedures at work everyday, and the workers there are very sociable. The hardest part of the job is not having enough resources to help the customers.
Typical of working for a large city
Inspector C, Sr.Inspector, (Code Enforcement) (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 8, 2015
Pros: An opportunity to serve the community
Cons: Staffing issues tied to budgetary restraints.
Understaffed and overworked a majority of the time.Do more with less and make it work. However the Department started to grow after a while.
Great place to enjoy a good skill
Distribution Electrician III (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: Great career for the right people. Must be willing to work hard.
Cons: must be in good physical shape. Can't be selfish.
Great place to work. Great training program. Good place to learn the craft for the right person. Got to like helping the public and dealing with schedules when needed. Able to display your craftsmanship by showing your skillset. Co-workers are usually helpful. Must have a physical demeanor about oneself. Everyone going home safe is the best thing that could happen in this business with no mishaps or injuries.
Good, secure workplace but things move slowly
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 16, 2015
Great benefits, flexible schedule and job security. you just have to be patient, because everything takes five times longer than it does in the private sector.
Fantastic benefit plans and a great place to work
HR Advisor (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 15, 2015
I have been with the City of Austin for the past few years in the role of HR Advisor. I work with talented individuals who are committed to the citizens of Austin. The City offers great benefit plans, a generous pension plan and a focus on health and wellness. I am encouraged to take advantage of a wide array of training opportunities to continue to develop and contribute. I couldn't be happier.
FUn place to work and I was ver productive
QA Qnalyst/SoftwareTest Engneer (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: too far to travel
Cons: great learning experience
I enjoyed working there. The job was very enhancing and I enjoyed my co-workers
Productive and fun workplace.
Activity Specialist III (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 16, 2015
• Promoted interest and implemented recreational activities for the City of Austin.
• Responsible for program implementation and scheduling of activities.
• Coordinated, transported and supervised participants before, during, and after activity.
• Identified problems, diagnosed causes and determined corrective actions.
• Adhered to monthly budget while maintaining a high standard of excellence.
A very good work environment.Safe work sites.
Facility Maintenance Manager (Former Employee), austin tx.January 14, 2015
Pros: benefits.
Cons: there wasnt any.
Very interesting with a family sense of employee inner action.
Exclusively male dominant enviroment one learns coorporation, working together to complete projects. Summary: teamwork.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 30, 2014
As the only woman in the field office I found I could get much more accomplished with a smile, a joke, a positive comment than in other
offices I had worked. Management requires one to look beyond the
requirements, deadlines of the job but to bring staff together so we can work together and succeed. This job was a hoot to boot. Outstanding Employee was recognized at quarterly meetings with
food to share.
It was a good starting point
Front Desk Attendant (Current Employee), AustinDecember 8, 2014
The jobs I held were fairly easy and accessible to almost anyone, the hardest part of my work day was addressing the public but even that can be handled with ease. The thing I did not like about it was the little to no room for advancement. The Bosses I have had were extremely supportive and there was an overall good moral of the work that we were doing.
Great benefits!
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Austin TXNovember 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: traffic to headquarters
Great benefits working for the city of Austin and if you can find a place that is flexible with hours and teleworking it is a plus.
steady employment
Administrative (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 2, 2014
The city of Austin, while a great place to work with EXCEPTIONAL benefits lacks in one serious area. Pay. The pay an average city employee gets is not in line with what it takes to live in Austin.
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR II
Heavy Equipment Operator II (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 11, 2014
Responsible ensuring excellent customer service and satisfaction for those visiting Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. Innovate and implement strategies and plans to improve the customer experience using Excel and other Microsoft applications. Utilize and operate dump trucks, tractors, front end loaders, backhoes, and riding lawn mowers. Provide landscaping services and ensure the overall excellent appearance of ABIA. Maintain lawns, monitor and perform tree and shrubbery trimming and replacement, place compost and mulch as necessary. Administer pesticides to control pest populations and ensure healthy vegetation growth.
Contantly Challenging in a positive way
Neighborhood Liaison (Former Employee), austin txAugust 8, 2014
Pros: meeting new people and making a positive difference in people's lives
Cons: challenges include working in inclimate weather at times
Help run Food Pantries in under-served, low income areas of the city. Partnership with the Food Bank
receiving assigments in the morning and checking in equipment
Street and Bridge (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 7, 2014
Pros: enjoyed the worked i did
Cons: slow time and lack of pay
repair streets and paving alleys of central west austin and ut area
public works
ok
ok
having to work in the out doors eliments.
working outdoors
Love working with animals
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 5, 2014
Pros: great insurance
Drove around the City of Austin giving assistance to customers and anyone in need of Animal Rescue or relocation. Fun filled days with different experiences on a daily basis.