City of Austin Employee Reviews in United States

Parking Enforcement Officer
Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 30, 2016
I have little to no professional experience but I do have my bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice. With that I was able to get my "foot in the door" and get a starting position at $15.50 + $.65 shift differential = $16.15/HR!

Best, laid back job I have ever had.

The benefits are the best thing, I have a nice PPO health care plan for only $10/Month!!!!

Vision + Dental = $4.44/Month

*Plus you get your cardio in everyday since you walk a typical 6 miles in your 6/7 hr outdoor shift.

You can't get that anywhere else.

If you arent into the outdoors such as walking, dealing with people, insects, and weather then this job may not be suited for you.
Excellent workplace
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2016
Excellent work culture. Team oriented. Great work-life balance. Difficult to move from a temporary position to a permanent position. Temporary job security is very low. Great sense of purpose - never feel like I am doing "busy work".
Pros
Sense of Purpose, Culture, Work-Life Balance
Cons
Job security for temporary employees
Great place to start
Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 17, 2016
Great place to work and learn. Everybody is friendly and approachable. Lots of innovative work being done. Most offices are close to downtown and accessible by transit and bike and walk
Pros
location is great, free bus pass, easy atmosphere
Cons
Great people, not so great pay
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2016
Every day I enjoy going to work at the Health Department. The City is an exciting place to be, although if you are young, or recently joined, you will have to wait a long time until you make a decent salary.
Job security /great benefits
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 20, 2016
This job offers excitement and job security and great benefits! This is an ever changing environment and can be stressful. No holidays we work 24 hours a day 7 days a week and mandatory overtime for call ins. Schedule is based on seniority and we are in the public eye at all times
Cons
SCHEDULING CAN BE DIFFICULT
Great Place to work
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 7, 2016
Great Benefits, Great people. Always focused on treating all employees equally and fairly. Would recommend to anyone.
Pros
Healthcare
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 10, 2015
The management did not look our for its own employees and even though they were in desperate need of workers they fired many reliable and hard working employees do to screw ups on their behalf. There is also no clear authority. On a day working for the City of Austin I was called by two to three people who had positions higher than mine, each ordering me to solve a problem a different way without having coordinated or knowing who was delegated to help their employee on the ground fix problems.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No breaks, employees not rewarded for level of experience, no clear chain of command
I learned every aspect of financial accounting and working for the government at a local level.
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2015
I held every position available in the Corporate Accounts Payable office except for the Corporate Finance Manager position. I would have had to have a Masters of Business degree to hold that position, so I retired early. I loved working for the City of Austin, but since I live in Spicewood the commute just got to much for me.
Pros
Nice place to work and stable employment
Cons
Too far to commute
Whats you to work as much as possible without getting overtime
Water Meter Technician Assitant (Current Employee) –  Austin TexasOctober 20, 2015
If you work over 8 hrs in a day they what you flex it out. No overtime and the supervisors don't care and don't do anything but complain. Basically what the employee to be perfect with no mistakes.
Supposed to be a Progressive City
Building Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 22, 2015
There is no room for advancement unless you are a University of Texas graduate or are one of the City Manager`s Fort Worth cronies.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
No room for advancement
High volume client based clinic
LVN (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 4, 2015
Clinic,indigent care clients ,Many levels of patient seen .Learned how to set own schedule on occasion and work and cared for various nationalities .
great job.
President/Business Development (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 17, 2015
Great place to hang your hat. Fun work place with supportive management. Company growth was outstanding and everyone benefited from it.
Accountant Associate
Accountant Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 17, 2015
A typical day at work would be very busy. The management in the department I worked for was very micromanged. Over all the company has good benefits.
Pros
Reward every so often
Cons
Very micro-managed, extremely heavy workload, at the end of the work day you will be extremely stressed out.
Excellent benefits, but progress is slow
CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 30, 2015
The department I work for is extremely stressful and highly scrutinized. The staff is great and cares very much about the work that they do, but, unfortunately, lacks critical resources required to complete the job satisfactorily. Management does their best to keep the ship afloat and take care of their employees. Implementing change can be very slow going, as it is municipal government and most things require cutting through several feet of red tape. The benefits are exceptional and it is a great place to gain work experience, broaden one's horizons, and make a decent living.
Benefits
Cons
lack of necessary resources (staffing, budget, etc.)
Productive, Challenging and Professional enviroment.
Administration (Former Employee) –  Austin, txSeptember 10, 2015
As a Administrator for the City Of Austin there are standard activities as any admin job. In addition to greeting clients and handling phones and messages, there is typically computer data entry, hard-copy document filing, faxing and copying, and often being in charge of the copy and fax machines - making sure they are loaded with paper, calling the technicians when they need fixing, that sort of thing. Mail distribution and invoicing was apart of the position as well. Organization and efficiency was most important, since I was often the go-to person that everyone needed something from ASAP, and strong multi-tasking skills we well needed. I learned as an Admin You are always the first point of contact, To Take in the scene around you, Your tasks might be variable and also It’s all about appearances. I wouldn't say that the job is at all hard. The job is just very challenging. I enjoyed the challenge, at the end of the day it makes you that much more better t what you do,
The city of Austin 311
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive co workers and management. You will certainly make a lot of new longtime friends for sure. Great pay and benefits.
Pros
benefits and retirement
Cons
commute
Exciting and interesting city to live in.
Electronics Traffic Signals Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 22, 2015
Constant change and complex but interesting. I have learned essential information in the regards to the overall understanding of traffic signals and operation.
Pros
Great City and Benefits.
Cons
Traffic.
Great place to enjoy a good skill
Distribution Electrician III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 20, 2015
Great place to work. Great training program. Good place to learn the craft for the right person. Got to like helping the public and dealing with schedules when needed. Able to display your craftsmanship by showing your skillset. Co-workers are usually helpful. Must have a physical demeanor about oneself. Everyone going home safe is the best thing that could happen in this business with no mishaps or injuries.
Pros
Great career for the right people. Must be willing to work hard.
Cons
must be in good physical shape. Can't be selfish.
Fantastic benefit plans and a great place to work
HR Advisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 15, 2015
I have been with the City of Austin for the past few years in the role of HR Advisor. I work with talented individuals who are committed to the citizens of Austin. The City offers great benefit plans, a generous pension plan and a focus on health and wellness. I am encouraged to take advantage of a wide array of training opportunities to continue to develop and contribute. I couldn't be happier.
Hardwork on your feet for 8 hours
Facilities services (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 10, 2015
Good bennifits hardwork nice people and management. Lots of city red tape to get hired. May take up to 3 months. Good luck!
Pros
Great bennifits
Cons
Slow advancement and raises.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Austin. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3