City of Berkeley

City of Berkeley Employer Reviews

Great job
refuse worker driver (Current Employee), Berkeley, CAMay 8, 2014
Pros: short hours
Cons: we work until the job is complete
I work in a high energy atmosphere early morning. We have great management that lets the employee work without high levels of stress. There is about one hundred garbage men in our division and we are very respectful of eachother. No part of this job is easy its very phsycal and requires you always put safety first. This a wonderful workplace because – more... you work outside and your never stuck looking at four walls. – less
great job to help the youth
deliverd mail (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAApril 21, 2014
Pros: helpful, loved working their
they are a good group, and I enjoyed my time their. i lerned to be more organized. and they help me whith more then just making money they helped me in life.
Working at my school
Health Advisor (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAMarch 21, 2014
Pros: the retreats
I actually worked at my school and it was one of the best experiences ever! I got a chance to get a taste of the real world before i graduated high school and it helped out alot. i talked to other teens at my school about safe sex and helped people over come there fears of being tested and let them know how important condoms were.
Community oriented clinic. Very good environment and material to provide appropiate work with children.
Mental Health, Clinician (Former Employee), BERKELEY,CAFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: great medical and retirement plans, great chances to learn how to work in a systemic and multi-cultural modes.
Cons: staff meeting were often cancelled due to big work load.
Direct services to the community. Oportunity to work with Children and Youth in a very pleasant environment. The facility was new and had two beautiful playrooms and family rooms. A typical day may include to provide therapy to children, or facilitate family therapy, to have collateral meetings with parents, school teachers and other Mental Health providers.
I – more... learned to work with younger children and most important with families (many of them were recent immigrants from Mexico and Central America with serious trauma)
The management was supportive and with long experience in the field. My co-workers were the most positive part of the work. They were very king, supportive and appreciative of my skills. There was a very strong team work.
The hardest part of the job was the uncertainty of being able to keep the job. It was very hard to work once the jobs cuts started and many of us knew that we could loose our jobs.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to provide direct services to Children and Adolescents. – less
Rough Angry Environment
Public Works (Former Employee), Berkeley, MissouriNovember 4, 2012
Cons: poor health insurance because of their hiring practices.
A typical day is chaotic, I learned that you must be keep your head down to succeed in this place. No managment, no records, no leadership. Co-workers will give you poor information or no information. The hardest part of the job is getting things accomplished, with the infighting the place is a standstill. Nothing was enjoyable. Gone after 90 days.
Berkeley Missouri
Inspector (Former Employee), Berkeley, MOOctober 16, 2012
Cons: poor city leadership - constant management turnovers.
This is the worst municipal government EVER. Top management positions are always vacant. A typical day at work is depressing. Not a good place to work.

December 12, 2012

This is the worst place I have ever worked and the FIRST job that I ever resigned from in 20 years of employment. Environment is stressful for no reason other than power, control and jealousy. City government is not concerned with anything other than each others egos and not the advancement and improvement of the city. If you are not from Berkeley and in their click, you will not last long unless you buy into unethical practices. If you decide to work there to continue having a paycheck because you have been unemployed, start looking immediately for something else. If not, brace yourself for frequent trips to the doctor! If you are currently working, please do not leave your job for this place.

Not too great experience
Library Specialist II (Current Employee), Berkeley, CAOctober 15, 2012
Worked for BPL for ten years until departamental cuts ended many careers.
Love the City!
Consultant (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJuly 25, 2012
I love jobs that help people. This job was the best at it. I would help people with Asthma learn about their disease.
Good People Who Try to Help
Office Specialist II (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAApril 24, 2012
Pros: good location, interesting work, chance to learn
Cons: just the day to day ups and downs of any job
Anyway, nobody is perfect but it seemed that usually management and others would go out of their way to help.
Good Job
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee), Berkeley CaJanuary 15, 2012
Pros: i was able to work another job around my shift.
Cons: healthcare
I liked this job I just wished we were offered benefits. I was able to work another job in between my shift of being a school crossing guard.