City of Berkeley Employee Reviews

Public Works current employee
Manager public works (Current Employee) –  City of Berkeley, CaSeptember 13, 2016
The City of Berkeley is a great place to work. Salary combined with benefits is the best around for municipal government. If you are fortunate enough to live nearby it will make your live/work life that much better. I highly recommend working here if you enjoy working at a challenging but not unreasonable pace and can accept that enacting change improvements do not happen overnight and in some cases are governed by city council political will.

This is a City that benefits from a pretty high tax structure, thus citizen/customers expect and deserve great service. The vast majority of our customers are great people and simply need to know they're being heard and that you care. If your not willing to demonstrate care and respect or go the extra mile for our customers, you will not thrive and there isn't much point in applying here.
Pros
Salary, benefits, reasonable work expectations. Great customer base.
Cons
Sometimes slow process improvements
Great Place to work Short term
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 14, 2016
The City of Berkeley is a wonderful place to work , but there are very few opportunities to become a full-time employee with benefits in the recreation division. i have worked there for 8 years as a part time employee ( working 4 hrs daily during the school year & 8 hours daily during the summer months. This job is very rewarding , working with the youth of the community. The compensation is good as well , but as a part time employee there are no benefits & no job security. Fortunately i have been lucky enough to work consistently durning my tenured with the City Of Berkeley.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No Benefits, No guaranteed hours
Good place to work with great benefits
Application Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 20, 2016
Good place to work with great benefits. Career growth is limited. Need more employee development opportunities. Need more cross functional training opportunities.
City of Berkeley is not a pleasent place to work.
do not want to say (Former Employee) –  City HallJune 11, 2016
The city is poorly run. Most of the administrators are not qualified for the positions they hold and they treat the employees unfairly. The employee salaries are well below those of other municipalities. The employees morale is extremely low.
Pros
Cons
Poorly run administrarion, Low pay, poor benefits, low employee morale
excellent benefits, wonderful work experience, promotional opportunities
Accounting Office Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 14, 2015
I was employed for 13 years with the City of Berkeley. There was always room for promotional opportunities, and growth within the organization. The benefits were excellent, and the chain of command was useful in case it was needed. Working within a company that becomes a career, is basically a second family as you spend more hours at work than at home.
Pros
benefits, salary, working alongside the citizens
Cons
staff meetings
City of Berkeley
Mental Health Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 13, 2014
Berkeley was a leading pace setting city in the 70ths .A very progressive city in the way it thinks and perceive itself to be. One of my assignments was to keep track of available housing. Some of these duties included watching the number of permits issues each week. Types of repairs taking place: roofs, building and demolitions occurring in the city. Working with the head planner I prepared housing reports for the City of Berkeley and the State of California.It was interesting to me to see how the types of repairs being performed showed how properties values remained above average due to home owners maintenance.
One of the hardest parts of my job was to provide critical information to the program director. . What I enjoyed was how so many of its citizens were engaged in their particular areas of housing. What type of funding came into the city and how it filter down to which areas. I now looked at own neighborhood and try to help improve the maintenance by making suggestion.
decision
Pros
Providing citizen's and management with proper information
Cons
Not all good choices are based on the facts
Great job
refuse worker driver (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 8, 2014
I work in a high energy atmosphere early morning. We have great management that lets the employee work without high levels of stress. There is about one hundred garbage men in our division and we are very respectful of eachother. No part of this job is easy its very phsycal and requires you always put safety first. This a wonderful workplace because you work outside and your never stuck looking at four walls.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
We work until the job is complete
Community oriented clinic. Very good environment and material to provide appropiate work with children.
Mental Health, Clinician (Former Employee) –  BERKELEY,CAFebruary 4, 2013
Direct services to the community. Oportunity to work with Children and Youth in a very pleasant environment. The facility was new and had two beautiful playrooms and family rooms. A typical day may include to provide therapy to children, or facilitate family therapy, to have collateral meetings with parents, school teachers and other Mental Health providers.
I learned to work with younger children and most important with families (many of them were recent immigrants from Mexico and Central America with serious trauma)
The management was supportive and with long experience in the field. My co-workers were the most positive part of the work. They were very king, supportive and appreciative of my skills. There was a very strong team work.
The hardest part of the job was the uncertainty of being able to keep the job. It was very hard to work once the jobs cuts started and many of us knew that we could loose our jobs.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to provide direct services to Children and Adolescents.
Pros
great medical and retirement plans, great chances to learn how to work in a systemic and multi-cultural modes.
Cons
staff meeting were often cancelled due to big work load.
Good People Who Try to Help
Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 24, 2012
Anyway, nobody is perfect but it seemed that usually management and others would go out of their way to help.
Pros
good location, interesting work, chance to learn
Cons
just the day to day ups and downs of any job
Good Job
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Berkeley CaJanuary 15, 2012
I liked this job I just wished we were offered benefits. I was able to work another job in between my shift of being a school crossing guard.
Pros
i was able to work another job around my shift.
Cons
healthcare

Want to know more about City of Berkeley?

Ask a question
Berkeley Missouri
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, MOOctober 16, 2012
This is the worst municipal government EVER. Top management positions are always vacant. A typical day at work is depressing. Not a good place to work.
Cons
poor city leadership - constant management turnovers.
I enjoyed working for this environemtal job
Graffiti abate-tor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 1, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of painting over tags in the Berkeley parks, fixing irrigation system, pruning and trimming trees. Learned how to safely remove tags from various utility boxes, trees, asphalt. There was little supervision when i worked for this job, responsibility was key. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the parks, there were a lot of disgusting things.
Pros
great employees
Cons
bad pay
Not too great experience
Library Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 15, 2012
Worked for BPL for ten years until departamental cuts ended many careers.
City of Berkeley
Correction Officer - Communications (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, moSeptember 28, 2015
THe City of Berkeley is a job that I have been working for sometime now and the people there or great the job is not hard over all It Ok
Pros
Helping the Public
Cons
Schedule
Rough Angry Environment
Public Works (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, MissouriNovember 4, 2012
A typical day is chaotic, I learned that you must be keep your head down to succeed in this place. No managment, no records, no leadership. Co-workers will give you poor information or no information. The hardest part of the job is getting things accomplished, with the infighting the place is a standstill. Nothing was enjoyable. Gone after 90 days.
Cons
poor health insurance because of their hiring practices.
Working at my school
Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 21, 2014
I actually worked at my school and it was one of the best experiences ever! I got a chance to get a taste of the real world before i graduated high school and it helped out alot. i talked to other teens at my school about safe sex and helped people over come there fears of being tested and let them know how important condoms were.
Pros
the retreats
Cons
great job to help the youth
deliverd mail (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 21, 2014
they are a good group, and I enjoyed my time their. i lerned to be more organized. and they help me whith more then just making money they helped me in life.
Pros
helpful, loved working their
Love the City!
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 25, 2012
I love jobs that help people. This job was the best at it. I would help people with Asthma learn about their disease.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Berkeley. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Berkeley Reviews by Location