CITY OF BOULDER Employee Reviews

Fast paced
Revenue and Sales Tax Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 28, 2017
Negative environment, co workers very critical of new employees. Lack of training.fast paced, critical, Over 6000 sales tax returns entered within 10 days of tax due date.
Pros
Good people, benefits, great location.
good community
Junior Ranger (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 26, 2017
The city of boulder employs many different people in a variety of different fields of work. The pay is fair for the labor required and the general workers there are a lot of fun to work with
worked with a great team
private (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 26, 2017
work life balance was good
worked with good team from a couple departments
salary and benefits are good
beautiful area
downtown had a lot of transients
Great place...on paper
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 20, 2017
Workplace culture is sorely lacking. Despite values such as Integrity, Innovation, Collaboration, and Respect, when it comes down to it, management does not trust their staff to do their jobs. This starts at the very top of the organization and is seen in all levels of management. Even though there is a lot of talk by upper management encouraging supervisors to allow collaboration, leadership, and innovation within their staff, when employees attempt to work within these allowances and encouragement, management quickly reprimands even minor mistakes. There is an unwritten expectation of perfection that is not achievable, so staff stop trying new things and, hence, the culture is stuck in a much older decade.

Even though the benefits are great (healthcare, wellness plan, etc.), they are NOT worth the negative, degrading and soul-sucking day-to-day environment that one must endure to to earn them. This is true of certain departments more than others, but overall the culture is not one in which individuals are given the support and encouragement to be successful, and to be truly well and healthy. I know more people that have gotten sick because of the stress associated with working here, than any other place I have worked.
Pros
Great benefits package.
Cons
Management; actual culture does not match marketed culture; work-life balance is not good
Friendly, Low Stress, Very Disorganized
Application Support Administrator (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 9, 2017
They take the concept of Self-Management a little too seriously which means it can often be difficult to understand what your goals and expectations are. The ones you do have change often. The good news is, is this is the result of leadership changing their minds frequently, and doesn't end up reflecting poorly on you. It can be frustrating and difficult to accomplish anything, but there is almost no pressure from your peers to do so either. The atmosphere is very laid-back, friendly and fun. There are tons of opportunities to get involved in programs around the City.
Pros
Wellness program, great coworkers, very laid-back
Cons
Unclear and shifting expectations, lack of accomplishments
Drive a city truck around the different parks
Urban Parks Laborer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 28, 2016
My supervisor was very easy to work with
Short work week - 4 10 hour days
Seasonal employment
Be outside all day and enjoy the weather and scenery
great place to work
Parking Lot Attendant for the City of Boulder (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 18, 2015
Supervisor was great in recognizing the work that you did

Work hours are reasonable but wish they would make it full time

Equipment could use some major upgrading

Job is very laid back with no supervision and it gives you the time to study if you are going to school
Great Job and Great People
Water Quality Analyst QA/QC Focus (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 10, 2015
This is a great place to work. The work load isn't too much and management is very supportive. My only gripe, and the reason I left, was because the pay was too low.
Pros
Free workout classes, management, RTD ECO Pass
Cons
Low Pay
The City of Boulder is always on the leading edge in customer service, recreational programs and the quality of life.
Financial Reporting Accountant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 1, 2014
The mission and people are amazing. If one can keep an eye on the big picture and why taxpayers are paying their salaries, the work is very rewarding. The workload can be challenging at times.
City of Boulder - Boulder Channel 8 is a creative place to work
Follow My Lead (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 9, 2014
I enjoyed working at Boulder Channel 8 for 12 years, and those were some of the best years of my life. Producing tv shows was wonderfully creative and I met many wonderful citizens of Boulder of all ages on each of our shows.

A typical day of work was staging up a set and lights for a live show, greeting guests, running cameras, and breaking down the set. I learned all aspects of tv production, grant writing, and making people comfortable. Hardest part of the job was any technical difficulty. The most enjoyable was the people I worked with and the people I met who were on the shows.
Productive, Creative mindset, and fun.
Water Sports Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boulder Reservoir, 5565 51st St, Boulder, CO 80301June 18, 2014
A typical day at work starts with the cultivation of innovative ideas that synthesize knowledge from juxtaposing and related fields and applying them to the task at hand. Next is the communication of the idea through diagrams, renderings, drawings, and verbal conveyance. Visually, the information is organized and easily understood.
Pros
Cultivation of innovative ideas that can be applied to anything in particular.
Cons
Struggle of coming up with tangible and workable ideas.
Good Summer Job
Parks & Recreation Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 1, 2014
Must be able to work well with customers and be able to multitask. Must be prepared to deal with unhappy customers and know how to problem solve. For the most part you are on your own with occasional check-ups by the management.
I think that the City of Boulder is an excellent place to work.
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 31, 2014
I think that the City of Boulder is an excellent place to work due largely to the quality of people who are in management positions. I've worked at quite a few jobs in my life, and I've come to appreciate when an employer emphasizes good character, fairness, hard work, coopertion and fun. If the pay is slightly lower than I feel it should be, I understand because the city of Boulder is on a fairly tight budget and I feel they do pretty well with the budget they have.
Supporting environment, promotes employee growth
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Boulder, ColoradoJune 15, 2013
The management was always supportive, with an open door policy.
Co-workers were also helpful and there was great teamwork.
The hardest part was juggling the many demands at the same time and the time constraints of being an hourly employee.
The most rewarding and enjoyable part was on accomplishing my goals and feeling good about having done a good job and helped people.
Pros
Bus pass; easy commute
Cons
Time constraints
Very secular community position
Administrative Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 17, 2013
Boulder is a beautiful city. Well kept, but very expensive. Entirely college orientated.
Pros
beautiful town
Cons
very expensive place to live
Overall, great place to work.
Technical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 11, 2013
-Typical day was diving into reading, writing -research.
-Always learning something new about water quality.
-Management was great.
-Co-workers were great.
-The hardest part was learning that our new City Manager was cutting my new position.
-I enjoyed working independently and the interesting work.
Pros
always learning something new.
Cons
my position was ending due to budget cuts.
Excellent work environment
Flatirons Golf Course Operations (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 7, 2013
My responsibilities included providing excellent customer service in the pro shop by greeting guests, answering phones, data entry, cashiering and running the golf course on time. Opening and closing the golf course alone has been trusted to me, and I also took care of any necessary outdoor work such as range-picking, cart washing, and on-course ranger duties to maintain pace of play.

I learned the most about customer service and how to maintain a professional demeanor even when stress levels are high. I've worked my way up to a co-manager position, and all of my co-workers are helpful, knowledgeable, and fun to work with.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the regular players and sharing a laugh or two about their round afterwards. Saturdays and Sundays in our peak-season are by far the hardest days, you need to be on top of your game by maintaining an organized tee-sheet, pace of play, and checking in players as fast as possible so they can enjoy their round.
Pros
free golf, wonderful co-workers, ability to take non-scheduled breaks
Cons
weather-dependency impacts hours, frozen wages