CITY OF BOULDER Employee Reviews

Great Job and Great People
Water Quality Analyst QA/QC Focus (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 10, 2015
This is a great place to work. The work load isn't too much and management is very supportive. My only gripe, and the reason I left, was because the pay was too low.
Pros
Free workout classes, management, RTD ECO Pass
Cons
Low Pay
The City of Boulder is always on the leading edge in customer service, recreational programs and the quality of life.
Financial Reporting Accountant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 1, 2014
The mission and people are amazing. If one can keep an eye on the big picture and why taxpayers are paying their salaries, the work is very rewarding. The workload can be challenging at times.
City of Boulder - Boulder Channel 8 is a creative place to work
Follow My Lead (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJuly 9, 2014
I enjoyed working at Boulder Channel 8 for 12 years, and those were some of the best years of my life. Producing tv shows was wonderfully creative and I met many wonderful citizens of Boulder of all ages on each of our shows.

A typical day of work was staging up a set and lights for a live show, greeting guests, running cameras, and breaking down the set. I learned all aspects of tv production, grant writing, and making people comfortable. Hardest part of the job was any technical difficulty. The most enjoyable was the people I worked with and the people I met who were on the shows.
Productive, Creative mindset, and fun.
Water Sports Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boulder Reservoir, 5565 51st St, Boulder, CO 80301June 18, 2014
A typical day at work starts with the cultivation of innovative ideas that synthesize knowledge from juxtaposing and related fields and applying them to the task at hand. Next is the communication of the idea through diagrams, renderings, drawings, and verbal conveyance. Visually, the information is organized and easily understood.
Pros
Cultivation of innovative ideas that can be applied to anything in particular.
Cons
Struggle of coming up with tangible and workable ideas.
Good Summer Job
Parks & Recreation Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 1, 2014
Must be able to work well with customers and be able to multitask. Must be prepared to deal with unhappy customers and know how to problem solve. For the most part you are on your own with occasional check-ups by the management.
I think that the City of Boulder is an excellent place to work.
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 31, 2014
I think that the City of Boulder is an excellent place to work due largely to the quality of people who are in management positions. I've worked at quite a few jobs in my life, and I've come to appreciate when an employer emphasizes good character, fairness, hard work, coopertion and fun. If the pay is slightly lower than I feel it should be, I understand because the city of Boulder is on a fairly tight budget and I feel they do pretty well with the budget they have.
Supporting environment, promotes employee growth
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Boulder, ColoradoJune 15, 2013
The management was always supportive, with an open door policy.
Co-workers were also helpful and there was great teamwork.
The hardest part was juggling the many demands at the same time and the time constraints of being an hourly employee.
The most rewarding and enjoyable part was on accomplishing my goals and feeling good about having done a good job and helped people.
Pros
Bus pass; easy commute
Cons
Time constraints
Very secular community position
Administrative Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 17, 2013
Boulder is a beautiful city. Well kept, but very expensive. Entirely college orientated.
Pros
beautiful town
Cons
very expensive place to live
Overall, great place to work.
Technical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 11, 2013
-Typical day was diving into reading, writing -research.
-Always learning something new about water quality.
-Management was great.
-Co-workers were great.
-The hardest part was learning that our new City Manager was cutting my new position.
-I enjoyed working independently and the interesting work.
Pros
always learning something new.
Cons
my position was ending due to budget cuts.
Excellent work environment
Flatirons Golf Course Operations (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 7, 2013
My responsibilities included providing excellent customer service in the pro shop by greeting guests, answering phones, data entry, cashiering and running the golf course on time. Opening and closing the golf course alone has been trusted to me, and I also took care of any necessary outdoor work such as range-picking, cart washing, and on-course ranger duties to maintain pace of play.

I learned the most about customer service and how to maintain a professional demeanor even when stress levels are high. I've worked my way up to a co-manager position, and all of my co-workers are helpful, knowledgeable, and fun to work with.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the regular players and sharing a laugh or two about their round afterwards. Saturdays and Sundays in our peak-season are by far the hardest days, you need to be on top of your game by maintaining an organized tee-sheet, pace of play, and checking in players as fast as possible so they can enjoy their round.
Pros
free golf, wonderful co-workers, ability to take non-scheduled breaks
Cons
weather-dependency impacts hours, frozen wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CITY OF BOULDER. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3