City of Bridgeport Employee Reviews

Best place to be with kids!
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, TXJuly 31, 2017
I love working with kids and this job was right on the spot. Going on field trips and working along side kids to make sure they have an awesome day is a great way to explain this job. It was easy and I wish it was more than just a summer job.
Pros
Fun with kids, Friendly people
Cons
no breaks
Productive and enjoyable place
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJuly 18, 2017
Tagging Cars that were illegally parked or meters that ran out of time.
Worked in the office as well, answering phones, taking ticket payments, dealt with the tow companies when there was a snow storm or a vehicle was towed. There were no hard parts of the job, every situation was able to be handled in a smooth and calm order, the fun part well was everything. being able to meet and interact with different people everyday.
Great experience
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJuly 11, 2017
I learned much from the 4 positions I held. I really do not have more to say. ;But the system wants me to write 150 words which I am not finding easy to do. Ok I made it!
great schedule
RN - Elementary School (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 21, 2017
the work schedule has allowed ample time for family and personal life. the job is a union position, not impressed with 1199.
Pros
schedule
Cons
city's financial situation
Good environment to use knowledge and grow within position.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 15, 2017
Very busy daily, steady workload, and heavy contact with outside department including State, Federal and outside Corporate Executives, as well as, .

I learned a great deal about fund accounting and Grants and Special Revenue Accounts. I also participated in the implementation of our Advantage system and cross walking in our MUNIS system.

Management would mostly get involved only when there was a need to change or adapt a new policy or procedure. There would be periodic staff meetings and training for new systems.

Workplace culture was a relaxed but professional culture.

The hardest part of the job was to try to get new ideas implemented for Grant Accounting when individuals involved were not always aware of the grant restrictions.

The most enjoyable part of my work was to assist others in the City of Bridgeport with their work, learn about new grants and general ledger accounts, and to know that much of the work I completed helped someone or some company in the community.
Pros
Free parking at work, lunch hour, discounted tickets for shows in community.
Cons
Not enough opportunity for career advancement
overall experience
City Attorney (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 15, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was greeting people. The workplace culture was great and a typical day included opening mail and answering the telephones.
Busy place to work
Typist (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTDecember 9, 2016
Busy atmosphere with a lot going on. A typical day would start at 7:00 a.m. Arrest paperwork comes in and has to be processed for the court. Packages have to be made and everything has to be perfect or the court will send the prisoner back to booking. All arrest cards have to updated, reports filed, copies made, data entered into police data system. Arrest packages have to be sent by 10:00 a.m. to the Bridgeport Court. Then the evenings arrest and accident reports, stolen car reports, and police reports have to be logged in and filed appropriately. At 10:00 the customer service window opens to the public where you must assist customers in obtaining reports, doing background checks, and assisting police officers with finding reports. The telephone rings non-stop and you have to assist callers with obtaining information about availability of reports. The window closes at 4:00 p.m. Everything must be filed away properly, entered in the computer and put away before you leave.
Pros
good pay with paid vacation time
Cons
short breaks
Great job site
CDL Class B Driver (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTNovember 28, 2016
I had a good experience wile working there,and hope to work for the company again. It is a very friendly company and the salary is very manageable and the hours are very convenient for me.
seasonal work
roadway maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTOctober 29, 2016
I am very reliable and quick learner. Hardworker and ready to work . looking for long term employment. I do have a cdl class a, with delivery driving experience. On the job I've learned how to use different landscaping equipment. City od Bridgeport was a great job, just wish I've could have had long term employment
Pros
learned how to use different landscapping equipment
Cons
short term seasinal work
Fun at summer camp
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTSeptember 27, 2016
I typical day at work would be me coming in and saying hi to my children getting them ready to go to art class or getting them ready to go outside in the sprinklers are on the water slide . After all the fun we would the childrenback to class sit them down with a snack . Then after snacktime we would have a learning session we would sit on the rug and learn about shapes colors and numbers . I learned how to have more patience . The management there was actually pretty good . It was like a big family it was just so comforting as soon as I walked in all I saw were smiles and a heard Hellos. Honestly there wasn't a hard part about the job everything was pretty simple and easy and like just go with the flow type of job. Most enjoyable part about that job was on a very hot day the kids would include me in their sprinkler and water slide time and just to see them smile actually made my day .
Pros
Happy children
Cons
Limited hours
productive and challenging workplace
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTAugust 18, 2016
the most enjoyable aspect of the job was dealing with customers and help fulfill client needs, along with finding solutions to their dilemmas.
Pros
company car
Cons
long days, political aspects
Climate of the job is unmotivating
Special education teacher (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTApril 10, 2016
A very stressful job with budget cuts all of the time. The workload is too much for what you get paid and the benefits are not very good.
Urban municipal working environment.
Assistant Chief of Police (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTFebruary 9, 2016
Urban municipal working environment in an economically challenged city where many demands are placed upon local government to solve.
Typical day at work.
School Nurse RN (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJanuary 26, 2016
A typical day at work started at 8 am. The school also had a School Based Health Clinic which we worked as a team. Students entered the building at 8:50 am and students headed straight to the nurse's office from am med administration to children with colds, stomach aches, asthma flare ups etc. This continued throughout the school day along with up dating immunizations, documentation, filing, and collaborating with staff resources.
Pros
Collaboration with staff
Cons
not enough hours in the day
Productive and loved working with the Director developing projects
Assistant Special Projects Manager (Current Employee) –  City of Bridgeport, CTDecember 21, 2015
I oversee grant recipients who ran various community outreach programs for youth and adults. Visiting sites to see how the program is running within the guidelines of the grant. I developed a newsletter highlighting their achievements to be distributed throughout the city and state. I developed summer jobs opportunities for high school youth and created community service projects for them in the fall/winter. I work independently the majority of time, researching opportunities for youth and reporting directly to the Director of Youth Services. We are a staff of 5 within the department and we all get along great.This month we kicks off the first of its kind the Junior Council persons program. I developed, recruited and facilitated the program for high schools students to become aware of the role of city council and elected officials and to introduce them to city government and civil service careers. There is always something new and exciting going on when it comes to community and youth.
Pedestrian Safety
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTNovember 4, 2015
The job entails keeping all pedestrians safe as they cross a busy intersection. I have learned that it is best to observe traffic in all directions and to engage the children and their parents so they will know when to cross. We are not physically supervised but management will contact us if there is a need. My co-workers take the assignment seriously as we all care about the children that we serve. The hardest part of the job is standing outside in the cold as the New England weather could be extremely adverse. I love meeting new children and parents as the new school year starts.
Pros
We are off when there is no school
Cons
It is hard to stand still when it is cold outside
best job ever
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTOctober 24, 2015
Good working enviroment also the pay was pretty good. To bad it was only a seasonal job and not a full time one. Once the season was over you had to look for another job or collect.
Productive, Busy atmosphere with good energy
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTMay 28, 2015
Multiple Administrative tasks, sending emails, filing job applications, creating excel spreadsheets, making follow-up phone calls, and update the social media sites.
hard work but also 3 brake
Maintainer (Former Employee) –  parksFebruary 26, 2015
Mostly clean area then cutting the grass . I learned haw to use lawn mover and cut grass in proper way , the area me and my crew was worked is pretty all the time. Management was happy with us all the time . Other workers are happy to work with my crew , we work hard but at same time safe , and productive.
Pros
free lunch once in year
Cons
no over time
My Manager is a wonderful person
Contractual Services - Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJanuary 15, 2015
What I love about mu job is that it helps my community,
the person I work for is an great manager.
But its only part time and doesn't include benefits.
Pros
helps the community
Cons
No Benefits