City of Charleston

City of Charleston Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee), Charleston, SCMay 28, 2015
Pros: city job
Cons: walking alot
Good place to work ! Like meeting new people. Great opportunities. Good people to be around, nice atmosphere. Youll like it
Fun place to Work
CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMay 26, 2015
I love working with children so this job was perfect. However, my boss was sick at the time so work was at times hectic. the hardest part was dealing with parents. the most enjoyable part was
life lessons
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 6, 2015
Pros: Many hours
Cons: poor management
Working for the city gave me great life lessons. As a first job, I loved it. Tons of new people every day. With my swimming background it was nice to always be near the water.
Productive workplace with lots of incentives.
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), Charleston, SCNovember 18, 2014
Pros: great benefit package
Cons: was unable to satisfy everyone
A typical day at work would be writing fifty to one hundred tickets. Sometimes people would get upset or say "Thank you, it was my fault, I should not have parked here."
That the customer is always right.
The management consisted of two males that were excellent in making sure all of the staff was up-to-date with current equipment.
We had a staff of twenty-six to thirty men and women that worked diligently together.
Losing my benefit package.
Meeting new and exciting people every day.
Fun place to work with kids and sports!
Assistant Varsity Volleyball Coach (Current Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 16, 2014
Pros: health care, dental care
My schedule is always changing. Sometimes I work nights and sometimes I work days. When I work nights it is usually at a field or in a gym watching and monitoring the kids and coaches. Making sure everything goes smoothly and planned. When I work days I am usually in the office answering phone call, questions, and emails. I also am taking registration for sports during each season. I could also be working on game schedules, staff schedules or picture schedules.
productive place to work
ABM Parking (Current Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 8, 2014
Confer with customers by telephone or in person to provide information about products or services, take or enter orders, cancel accounts, or obtain details of complaints.
Determine charges for services requested, collect deposits or payments, or arrange for billing.
Good exercise job
Landscaper (Former Employee), Charleston, South CarolinaJuly 29, 2014
How to use different type of equipment.
I met new people every day.
Wonderful Opportunity
SC Environmental System Operator (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 23, 2014
Pros: municipality
Cons: limited advancement
• State Certified System Operator
Must be state certified
training available
Great work environment
City Planner Internship (Former Employee), Charleston, ILJuly 19, 2014
Learned how to do site plan reviews, learned a little about grant writing, management is good and co-workers are helpful; love site plan review
Fire Department, Large
Engineer and Acting Captain (Company Officer) (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 22, 2014
Typical Large Fire Department with a constant flux in upper level management
Fun and productive workplace, we always kept the kids engaged
Recreational Leader (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCDecember 3, 2013
Pros: working with kids
Cons: no breaks
As a recreational leader, my responsibilities were to keep the kids active and engaged in any sport we played. Every week we played a different sport, but those sports that we played every week would be adapted into any activity that was planned for the day. For example, for the week we played baseball, instead of having a water balloon fight, we would play baseball with the water balloons. Three days out of the week, the kids had swimming lessons and African drumming and my job as a recreational leader was to make sure the kids were in engaged in that as well.
Productive and fun place to work
Sanitation Driver (Current Employee), Charleston, SCNovember 17, 2013
Productive and fun place to work. Enjoyed learning new things on a daily basis.
Motor Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Charleston, SCNovember 4, 2013
Pros: there was always work to be done.
Cons: the company does not support students.
: Receive work orders for daily job duties. Conducted performance checks on vehicles before and after every trip to ensure safety. Operate heavy equipment vehicles such as jet-vator trucks, dump trucks and pick-up trucks that are used to clean or aid with repairing man-holes, drains, pipes, and haul waste. Conduct inventory to ensure all equipment are present to complete job orders. Stock jet-vactor – more... trucks with fuel and water for job orders. Learn and follow safety regulations per the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidance. Monitor operations to ensure that health and safety standards are met. Take actions to avoid potential hazards and obstructions, such as utility lines, other equipment, other workers, and falling objects. Adjust hand-wheels and depress pedals to control attachments, such as blades, buckets, scrapers, or swing booms. Start engines, move throttles, switches, levers, or depress pedals to operate machines, such as bulldozers, trench excavators, road graders, or backhoes. Locate underground services, such as pipes or wires, prior to beginning work. Align machines, cutter-heads, and depth gauge makers with reference stakes and guidelines, ground, and position equipment, following hand signals of other workers. Drive and maneuver equipment equipped with blades in successive passes over working areas to remove topsoil, vegetation, or rocks and to distribute and level earth and terrain. Coordinate machine actions with other activities, positioning and moving loads in response to hand or audio signals from crew members. Monitor spending to ensure that expenses for needed equipment are consistent with the given budget. Promote safe work activities by attending company safety meetings, or meeting with individual staff members. – less
ULTIMATE SACRIFICE for this county "AWESOME."
Police Cadet (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 29, 2013
Pros: everything about this profession
A typical day at work consist of monitoring parking violations within the city limits and enforce parking regulations. I learned early on that not everyone has respect for this uniform. Mangers and co-workers we decent people to my knowledge no display of negative attitudes amongst the department that I could tell. The hardest part was trying to decide to take the next step and actually attend the Police Academy. The most enjoyable part of this job was that it gave me the RESPECT that I now have for Police Officers, Veterans and Active Duty Personnel. To know that they make then ULTIMATE SACRIFICE for this county "AWESOME."
excellent Opportunies within the city
Manager (Former Employee), Charleston, WVJuly 18, 2013
Working for the city had its advantages. Wonderful retirement and job security.
Secretary to the Prosecutor
Secretary to the Prosecutors Office (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 15, 2013
Great place to work. I need a permanent full time position.
Co-workers are wonderful.
productive and fun workplace
Senior Operator (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: low pay scale
great place to work. good management. takes care of employees.
Great work atmosphere, alot of public interaction with great feedback from athletes and family.
Recreation Leader (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 7, 2013
The co-workers and public that I dealt with were just amazing! Very family orientated in a few different ways. Alot of public interaction in the way of youth sports and adult sports along with programs held at the recreation center in the way of exercise classes, art classes to mention a few. An absolute great place to work if you like public interaction and of course sports!!!
Definitely a good City to work for
City Staff (Current Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 9, 2012
I enjoy working for the City of Charleston. It's a very fast pace environment
good workplace atmosphere
RECREATION LEADER (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMarch 16, 2012
Pros: pay raises
Cons: interfere with school
have fun coaching the kids about sports and teach them about sportsmanship

About City of Charleston

The City of Charleston provides water and sewer service to city residents. The City's Water Department is responsible for reading – Read more

City of Charleston Salaries