City of Charleston Employee Reviews

Positivity and learing experince for kids and counselors.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 15, 2017
I enjoyed every moment working for the City of Charleston, so much I didn't want to leave sometimes. It was my first job I was so grateful for the opportunity to meet all the great new people and see the kids and I grow into the leaders that were around us.
Pros
Allowing youth job opportunities.
Cons
N/a
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 28, 2017
I enjoyed the job so much the contract with the job was done and i wanted to get on full time but i did not have enough hours to work the permanent so they tols me try again in 6 months
Pros
Bring my own lunch
Cons
Hour brakes
Great place to work for
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 9, 2017
The city of Charleston was a great place to work for, I enjoyed every moment of it. The people you work with like to see you acheive what you need to achieve
Easy Job
Park Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 6, 2016
This was a summer job that was pretty easy for the most part. hardest this there is is the fact that you have several young kids around and they can burn a lot of energy. Other than that this job was pretty easy and laid back.
Job offers excellent stability.
HR Analyst/Recruitment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 2, 2016
Not too much to say about he company. I enjoyed working there but there was not much room for advancement or growth.///////
Pros
Yearly Cost of Living Raise
Cons
Expensive Healthcare
cool place
Grounds Keeper (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 14, 2016
We are guided by a strong, diverse group of professionals with a combined experience of more than 200 years. With their deep industry experience and proven track record of innovation, client service, and cutting-edge use of analytics and technology solutions, they help create new sources of value for our clients.
I had to be courageous in my job.
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 8, 2016
I did my review already concerning the City of Charleston and it was erased. I was on foot patrol at all times which was required in my field. I managed.
Best job I ever had - loved working there
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 2, 2016
Easy going, relaxed atmosphere, but very professional. Very exciting to work with a city government. Everyone had there job to do, and there was no micro management.
productive and fun work environment
Residential Garbage Collector (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 16, 2015
I got to work at 6 a.m. and started working by 6:30a.m. when we got to our route we stated performing the proper duties an task i'l day would be determined on the outcome of the weather cause we worked all day in the weather. I learned the values of team work and the importance of having some good team players.
Productive place to work
Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 28, 2015
Good place to work ! Like meeting new people. Great opportunities. Good people to be around, nice atmosphere. Youll like it
Pros
city job
Cons
walking alot
Fun place to Work
CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 26, 2015
I love working with children so this job was perfect. However, my boss was sick at the time so work was at times hectic. the hardest part was dealing with parents. the most enjoyable part was
life lessons
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 6, 2015
Working for the city gave me great life lessons. As a first job, I loved it. Tons of new people every day. With my swimming background it was nice to always be near the water.
Pros
Many hours
Cons
poor management
Productive workplace with lots of incentives.
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 18, 2014
A typical day at work would be writing fifty to one hundred tickets. Sometimes people would get upset or say "Thank you, it was my fault, I should not have parked here."
That the customer is always right.
The management consisted of two males that were excellent in making sure all of the staff was up-to-date with current equipment.
We had a staff of twenty-six to thirty men and women that worked diligently together.
Losing my benefit package.
Meeting new and exciting people every day.
Pros
Great benefit package
Cons
Was unable to satisfy everyone
Fun place to work with kids and sports!
Assistant Varsity Volleyball Coach (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 16, 2014
My schedule is always changing. Sometimes I work nights and sometimes I work days. When I work nights it is usually at a field or in a gym watching and monitoring the kids and coaches. Making sure everything goes smoothly and planned. When I work days I am usually in the office answering phone call, questions, and emails. I also am taking registration for sports during each season. I could also be working on game schedules, staff schedules or picture schedules.
Pros
Health care, dental care
productive place to work
ABM Parking (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 8, 2014
Confer with customers by telephone or in person to provide information about products or services, take or enter orders, cancel accounts, or obtain details of complaints.
Determine charges for services requested, collect deposits or payments, or arrange for billing.
Good exercise job
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Charleston, South CarolinaJuly 29, 2014
How to use different type of equipment.
I met new people every day.
Wonderful Opportunity
SC Environmental System Operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 23, 2014
• State Certified System Operator
Must be state certified
training available
Pros
Municipality
Cons
Limited Advancement
Great work environment
City Planner Internship (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILJuly 19, 2014
Learned how to do site plan reviews, learned a little about grant writing, management is good and co-workers are helpful; love site plan review
Fire Department, Large
Engineer and Acting Captain (Company Officer) (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 22, 2014
Typical Large Fire Department with a constant flux in upper level management
Fun and productive workplace, we always kept the kids engaged
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCDecember 3, 2013
As a recreational leader, my responsibilities were to keep the kids active and engaged in any sport we played. Every week we played a different sport, but those sports that we played every week would be adapted into any activity that was planned for the day. For example, for the week we played baseball, instead of having a water balloon fight, we would play baseball with the water balloons. Three days out of the week, the kids had swimming lessons and African drumming and my job as a recreational leader was to make sure the kids were in engaged in that as well.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Charleston. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2