City of Charlotte Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful place to work
Environmental Program Inspector (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 26, 2015
I enjoy working for the city of Charlotte. I am just looking to advance myself and achieve grater levels of success. I am looking for the opportunity to work within my area of study, and provide a high level of expertise that will not go unnoticed.
Pros
Excellent benifits, flexible schedule
Cons
unrelated to my field of study
A Workplace were you learn and grow
Citizen Relation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 19, 2016
Working for the Charmeck 311/City of Charlotte has been a pleasure and a learning experience that I will use for the rest of my life. A typical work day working at Charmeck 311/City of Charlotte was filled with citizens (approx 100 citizens) in need of assistance and direction. I have learned so much at Charmeck 311 but the most beneficial lessons I have learned are the importance of attention to details and customer service is more than being polite and providing a service. Charmeck 311 has a great team of employees that I have grown to respect and admire for their hard work. My time at Charmeck 311 had challenges however, there was no real extremely hard parts of the job other than at times keeping up with the constant change of processes. Despite of this challenge when you use the tools provided even that task becomes easy to accomplish. The most enjoyable part of the job has definitely been the notion that the service you provide is very important and needed within the operation of local government.
Pros
Benefits, Team of Employees, Knowledge, Compensation
Cons
Little room for Growth within Charmeck 311
Great place
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Huntersville, NCNovember 9, 2015
Outstanding job. Great place to work. People are great and supervisors. Look out for their workers. Working for the City of Charlotte couldn't be better.
Pros
great pay and supervisors
Cons
Very Stressful at times.
City of Charlotte Responsibilities
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CharlotteSeptember 6, 2015
Delegate vendors (Duke Energy, Lawn Care Services, etc) to maintain hazardous conditions.
Reserve and maintain the integrity of the parks and greenways in Mecklenburg County.
Accurately documented, researched and resolved customer service issues.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No room for growth
Interesting place to work
Customer Service Agent/Fare Inspector (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 14, 2015
The job in itself is the same day after day but the customers are the real colorful part. They will either make you laugh, upset you or make you rethink why you choose this job. It is a great place to work overall and always looking for the excitment of the day.
Pros
being accurate is a must and detailed oriented
Cons
printing problems and bus system management knowledge
Was a great place to work for a long time.
Project Manager -Technology and special projects (Former Employee) –  Information TechnologyOctober 5, 2015
Too many changes in management and philosophy. Charlotte the city is awesome. Leadership is searching for a new direction and failing. They need to be more interactive and get on the cutting edge.
Relaxed atmosphere
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 15, 2015
Process workflow reports from WORKS/MUNIS systems, work with pcard users', learning the successfactor training module to download training reports. Audit reports can be time comsuming, I truly enjoy working with pcard users' and learning all the different system that the City utilize.
Pros
Wonderful team department including leaders
Cons
concern about you
Open Communication among the department
Customer/Revenue Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte NCMarch 19, 2015
A typical work day consist of working escalated reports from other departments. Assisting customers with questions and concerns. The hardest part of the day is having meeting more frequently then we need too! And still have a deadline for completed work. Most enjoyable when we are able to come together as a team to resolve some complicated issues.
Positive place to work for the public
ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN II (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 24, 2015
A lot of great managers who care about their employees. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed getting to know each employee and networking with many people of different career specializations.
Absolutely Loved My Job and Co-workers
Parts Technician (Former Employee) –  Concord NCJune 3, 2015
Absolutely Loved My Job and Co-workers, All staff was friendly, supportive, and very welcoming. Pay was not great, but there is something to be said for enjoying going to work everyday.
Pros
Great Management, Awesome Co-workers
Cons
Pay
Excellent place to be.
Equipment Operator III (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 18, 2015
I've been there for 5 years and enjoy everyday I'm there. Monday thru Friday schedule home every night. wonderful establishment with the city improving and upgrading very fast.
City of Charlotte
Building Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 24, 2015
My day usually started with checking the emergency overnight calls to see which work orders had been taken care of and prioritizing the calls that still needed attention. Then the scheduled work orders would follow after emergency calls were handled. I enjoyed the responsibility that required my skills and experience to be tested on a daily basis. Being able to use them to insure quality and professional work to insure the customer was satisfied at the end of the day brought personal gratification. I would then plan for the next day pulling supplies and materials needed to accomplish desired results.
not very prodactive ...
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 2, 2015
my personal experience may not be very objective, do not see reason to share - may misguide somebody. definetely - secure place to work
a job with a lot of ups but also a lot of downs
Fire Fighter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 8, 2014
Days were never the same, busy some days and slow others. I learned that life can be very rough and bad things happen all the time. Management there fluctuated. Management changed frequently as promotions were common. My co-works were great. These people would do anything for you. Hardest part of the job was seeing people hurt or even die infront of you or people losing all they owned in a fire.The enjoyable part was when you could help people and make a difference in thier lives.
Pros
the pay was good. some days you actually relaxed a bit and shared comradary when it was not busy.
Cons
it can be a tough job on you both physically and emotionally depending on what you experience.
I'am always busy on the job site
CONSTRUCTION INSPECTOR (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 18, 2014
When working on more then three projects a day, you go to the project first that is most important.Management is ok I think they could be a little more helpful and for the other inspectors, some of them get very good projects.The job is hard some times when me and the contractors go over items for pay.When I get off of work I enjoy.
These companies has taught me all the esstentials of customer service
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 1, 2012
I work a 9 hour day which includes 2 15min breaks and 1 hour for lunch. I take 100 calls a day. They have made me want to experience management because I know I will be well at it. The management skills there lack in the area of Leading there are alot of promotions given to people due to the ability to do their job task and not abilty to lead. I love my co-workers and respect them and they respect me as well
Great Place
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, MIApril 12, 2013
Working for the City of Charlotte was fantastic, I was given the best opportunity to be hired into the company. Typically at work the day consisted of cleaning all parks and making sure everything was safe. I learned that a great friendship can form in the craziest of spots and that city workers are one of the hardest working people around. My management was great, I never had a day where I regretted being at work. The hardest part about my job was seeing the way people treated public property but i did enjoy the feeling of doing a great job fixing it up.
My co-workers are awesome to work with.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 4, 2013
There is a certain level of stress to be expected at any place of employment, especially when dealing with the public. I have such wonderful co-workers who are great at balancing my day.

The most difficult part of the job is when I have to calm a upset citizen down in order to assist him or her. However, the greatest reward is when I conquer that obstacle, and the customer "smiles" and/or thanks me for helping him or her to understand the situation more than anyone else was able to do..
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
unsatisfactory hours that don't coincide with school hours
Serving the citizens of Charlotte in an exciting way
Emergency Telecommunicator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 21, 2013
Working for the City of Charlotte has been an eye-opening experience. As a 911 operator, I've seen the city from a completely different light. I've seen the good and the bad of human nature but it's all been worthwhile when I see some good come out of it, like the good Samaritans, the indefatigable officers and firefighters, the indomitable human spirit. My supervisors and coworkers have always put the citizens of Charlotte first, so no matter what the work conditions are (nights, weekends, holidays) we know we are making a difference.
Pros
seeing the good of human nature
Cons
nights, weekends, holidays
Great group of people to work with.
Senior Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 3, 2013
I love being in the field and doing what I do best, inspection of CIP projects for this great City.
I work with a great team of people in the Storm Water Division.
The hardest thing about my job would be dealing with homeowners while we are doing work in there yards. I must be good at that because I have received Customer Service Champion Awards.
I have earned the respect of all my peers; they highly respect the great job I do. Project Managers are always asking to have me on their next project.
I love what I do, just needing a change in location. I have been in this great City for fifty years. Just needing to get closer to the Mountains.
Pros
working with such a great group of people.
Cons
healthcare

4.2