City of Charlotte Employee Reviews

Just was not my kind of work.I can explain.
Equipment Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  City of Charlotte N CJune 13, 2017
I just done what they ask of me on cutting right of ways did not like type of work I'm a guy that loves people and to involve my self with others to make there lives better but I was driving around in equipment doing cut backs all over charlotte that was not really safe. I love to be working with public and using my body to work did not like setting in Equipment 8 hrs a day.I love to work with my Hands that God bless me with .
Pros
na
Cons
na
Workplace
Engineering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 13, 2017
The area of the City of Charlotte that I work for does not allow room for growth. If you are a strong, motivated employee who has his or her degree and stands up for what is right, there is no chance for advancement. Also, if you are not in the in group, no one stands a chance to move up.
benefits
Cons
management does not care about the well being of employees
Nice co-workers
Lynx Light Rail Operator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 2, 2017
Light Rail is a nice place to work with lucrative benefits. The hours are decent and the pay is great. The job is safety sensitive so therefore, strict rules are enforced as per the Company Rule Book. The people and very nice and for the most part, easy to get along with. I would recommend to anyone who want a challenge in transportation.
Pros
Good pay.schedule and plenty of OT if you want it.
Cons
N/a
Government work
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 17, 2017
Come in and tune out. Excellent place to begin retirement. Some find a fit and others have a hard time fitting in the work culture or lack of culture.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Bureaucracy
Great work-life balance
Community Affairs Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 17, 2017
While the pay isn't great, the work-life balance and people are. If you are looking for a place to make a difference with your work and influence the growth of the City then this is it.
The City is a good place to work, enhance your skills and grow.
Engineering Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 11, 2017
A typical day is working with Consulting and Project Managers in order to prepare RFQ or contracts for a particular project. Sometimes it is hard to make sure we keep everyone involved on track.

They believe in team work, sharing information and resources.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Just trying to arrange everyone's schedule for meetings.
Public service
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 25, 2017
Working as a public servant (firefighter), gave a sense of purpose to me as a young man. Needless to say this type of job requires a different type of dedication than most jobs
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
More of a single man's job, salary was not sufficient for a man with a family
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 14, 2017
Overall, good place to work with great benefits, 401K, retirement plan and paid time off. You're able to meet a lot of interesting people. There is great opportunities to learn different areas of the business.
Pros
Great benefits, 11 paid holidays and vacation
Cons
Lack of communication from upper management
5 years
Training and Quality Assurance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 7, 2017
I'm fully vested, it was quite an experience, it was great training others, the training department is the only department worth staying at this job for.
Great job opportunity
Alternative Maintenance Services Owner (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 26, 2016
It was my dream job. I always wanted to be an civil engineer working the citizens of a city. All my jobs have been in the service field. I didn't learn how to be a supervisor with the City. I was able to better and refine my skills. Co-workers were easy to get along with in general. We all felt a responsibility in perform our duties to our best ability. Everyday was filled with its own lists of challenges. That's what made working their so enjoyable.
Pros
Good feelings for due for community
Cons
Not enough time in the day to do all needed help everyone
Good company to work for
Traffic Electronics Technician II (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 19, 2016
Many different jobs to chose from. Was able to learn many unique skill sets. There were great people to with. Sadly the management was poor in most cases.
great benefits and pay, work environment toxic
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, MI 48813October 15, 2016
This is not a positive place to work, sometimes a hostile work environment, politics dominate the workplace. Management has ego issues, and tends to play one person against another. Even though the pay and benefits were good, there was no room for advancement and management doesn't encourage one to do so.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
negative workplace
the job was ok needed more pay
Truck Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 21, 2016
I work for a self contractor for the city of charlotte the work was not hard is not much more I can say being honest it was a job you have me searching for word that I really cant say that much about the job and that's being honest I like it but it was not a job that I could see my self doing another 20 years it was a dead end job that all I can say
Pros
got off early but got paid for full day
Cons
not good because i work for a self contractor for the city
A Workplace were you learn and grow
Citizen Relation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 19, 2016
Working for the Charmeck 311/City of Charlotte has been a pleasure and a learning experience that I will use for the rest of my life. A typical work day working at Charmeck 311/City of Charlotte was filled with citizens (approx 100 citizens) in need of assistance and direction. I have learned so much at Charmeck 311 but the most beneficial lessons I have learned are the importance of attention to details and customer service is more than being polite and providing a service. Charmeck 311 has a great team of employees that I have grown to respect and admire for their hard work. My time at Charmeck 311 had challenges however, there was no real extremely hard parts of the job other than at times keeping up with the constant change of processes. Despite of this challenge when you use the tools provided even that task becomes easy to accomplish. The most enjoyable part of the job has definitely been the notion that the service you provide is very important and needed within the operation of local government.
Pros
Benefits, Team of Employees, Knowledge, Compensation
Cons
Little room for Growth within Charmeck 311
Wonderful place to work
Environmental Program Inspector (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 26, 2015
I enjoy working for the city of Charlotte. I am just looking to advance myself and achieve grater levels of success. I am looking for the opportunity to work within my area of study, and provide a high level of expertise that will not go unnoticed.
Pros
Excellent benifits, flexible schedule
Cons
unrelated to my field of study
Great place
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Huntersville, NCNovember 9, 2015
Outstanding job. Great place to work. People are great and supervisors. Look out for their workers. Working for the City of Charlotte couldn't be better.
Pros
great pay and supervisors
Cons
Very Stressful at times.
Was a great place to work for a long time.
Project Manager -Technology and special projects (Former Employee) –  Information TechnologyOctober 5, 2015
Too many changes in management and philosophy. Charlotte the city is awesome. Leadership is searching for a new direction and failing. They need to be more interactive and get on the cutting edge.
City of Charlotte Responsibilities
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CharlotteSeptember 6, 2015
Delegate vendors (Duke Energy, Lawn Care Services, etc) to maintain hazardous conditions.
Reserve and maintain the integrity of the parks and greenways in Mecklenburg County.
Accurately documented, researched and resolved customer service issues.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No room for growth
Interesting place to work
Customer Service Agent/Fare Inspector (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 14, 2015
The job in itself is the same day after day but the customers are the real colorful part. They will either make you laugh, upset you or make you rethink why you choose this job. It is a great place to work overall and always looking for the excitment of the day.
Pros
being accurate is a must and detailed oriented
Cons
printing problems and bus system management knowledge
Excellent place to be.
Equipment Operator III (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 18, 2015
I've been there for 5 years and enjoy everyday I'm there. Monday thru Friday schedule home every night. wonderful establishment with the city improving and upgrading very fast.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Charlotte. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Charlotte Reviews by Location