City of Chattanooga Employee Reviews in United States

Proactive reactive
Systems and Database Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 12, 2016
The job is desent but there is no structure to advance. There is no respect for experience. Employees that are more than qualified to perform jobs and are performing the jobs are locked out of advancement because of education requirements.
Pros
Benefits, Medical, 401k type additional retirement
Cons
Management track record will not listen to experience, reinventing the wheel
Productive and enjoyable environment everyday.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 29, 2015
I worked in various offices throughout the city, and learned how critical each department is to the success of our city. I was working in the Transportation Department editing software, and spent a lot of time in the field gathering research. The environment was designed for success because of the amazing leaders, and the pressure of performing for top governmental officials was enduring.
Good
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 8, 2015
How to work with kids. How to be with six to ten year olds. Management was great. Co-workers with most caring people.
With my job, it was easy. Nothing hard about it. Most enjoyable was seeing smiles on the children's faces.
The Southern version of "Scandal"
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 13, 2014
Everyone is fearful of losing their job so they will turn the other cheek to any wrongdoing that they see. If you want to be a modern day slave with no rights or freedoms, this is your dream job. If you are powerful and corrupt, this is your dream job.
Pros
benefits, hours worked, gym, clinic
Cons
no room for advancement, corrupt officials, not enough employees to do the work
Wonders Never Cease?
Telecommunications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 14, 2012
The IT department is very puzzling? Networking is on track on moving forward, however Telephony is very problematic at best. Many agencies are ignored continually and remain upset that no viable solution is available. If you're interested in a career, definitely continue looking.
Pros
excellent co-workers, excellent benefits and healthcare
Cons
hyper bureaucracy
Enjoyed working with so many different cultures and families.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga TNMay 8, 2014
Head Start is a great program and I enjoy working with the children and families. I have a wonderful boss that I think very highly of. On a typical day I go to at least 3 centers to do well checks and to send letters out to get information that I need on my children. I do classroom safety checks once a month and deliver health supplies once a month where they are need. I assist families in finding a medical and dental home for their child and on many occasions I have accompanied them. I learned a lot about time management and what the requirements are for the state of Tennessee. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the time I get to spend with these children and get to watch them grow in so many ways.
Pros
hours
Cons
not enough money
Nice place to work, lots of valuable job training.
Water Quality Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 8, 2014
Typically I am out in the field doing various monitoring activities in the creeks of Chattanooga. I have leaned many things about working with a permit from TDEC and many things about monitoring water quality. I have lots of very nice and hardworking coworkers. The hardest part of the job is when we get lots of rain so we are stuck inside and cannot get out in the field. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work outside and see very interesting parts of the city.
Pros
getting to be outside and make your own schedule to a degree.
Cons
not many opportunities for advancement.
Not a bad place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 21, 2014
My day begins @ 7AM with a short meeting with the management and co-workers, then I pre-trip my truck while thinking over the days route and how to make myself the most efficient, once out on the route my job requires that I make all stops for that day. The high demand of the job & working the majority of holidays while most others are off, has to be the hardest part of the job. On the other hand though I find that many of the people I get to interact with makes it all worth it. I really enjoy seeing their smiling faces.
Pros
interacting with public
Cons
constant demand of the job itself
Great paying job and opportunities for overtime
School Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 20, 2015
I worked part time in the mornings and afternoons as a crossing guard at an elementary school, which allowed me time to take care of my small children and run errands during the day. I grew to learn the school kids names and became familiar with all the parents dropping off kids and drivers/passersby on their way to work. It was fun! The hardest part of the job was being outside in the worst weather (like heavy rain and very low temperatures). Overall, I loved the job and my supervisor was very understanding and easy to get along with.
Worked as a Chattanooga Fireman
Fire Fighter/First Responder (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 12, 2014
A typical work day was 24 hours at the fire hall. Learned how to rescue people from fires and to put out fires. Management was very helpful. Co-workers were great just like a family. Hardest part about the job was the low pay. Most enjoyable part was helping people.
Pros
helping people
Cons
low pay
Good Job
A Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 3, 2015
A tipical day at work it was funn, I enjoy take care cildren
I learn how to be a head start teacher.
My co-worker they were very friendly.
the hardest part of my job it was when I say Good bye to the children and the teacher.
The most enjoyable part of my job it was play with the children and taking care of them.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Any law benefit
Balanced Life Decent pay Great Starter
Social Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 21, 2013
•Interview and counsel clients requiring assistance from the Chattanooga Human Services Department to achieve a level of self-sufficiency to determine the nature and degree of the problems.

•Secure all information necessary to evaluate factors contributing to the client's situation and the client's abilities.

•Develop a service plan in conjunction with the client to address the barriers identified.

•Refer clients to community resources and other organizations, along with compiling and maintaining client records.
Work minor accident, traffic for special events
Police Service Technician Senior (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 31, 2012
Performs functions at minor traffic accident, Prepare and issue citations, Establish and maintain positive relationships with citizens, Receive, review, and /or prepare documentation, records, logs, and reports. Train new personnel.
Co-workers are great.
Inventory Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 25, 2014
Direct co-workers are great and supportive. Very challenging position that requires detail and the ability to search out product and parts.
Pros
enjoyable work
Cons
i prefer not to focus on negativity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Chattanooga. Our community is ready to answer.