City of Chattanooga Employee Reviews

Very Rewarding
Vice President of Development and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 21, 2018
Was offered a multitude of different options to explore. Was supervised very little as my expertise was valued. Made life long friendships. I was respected.
Pros
Varied options to perform different duties
Cons
Can't think of any
Nothing to write
Police Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 15, 2017
There is nothing I really want to write. Not a bad place to work and sometimes it is good because you work with the community and help people with current issues.
relax and slow
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 25, 2017
The people you work with are great people. That is the full extent of the benefits of working. Job is bleak overall. Being asked to do lack luster tasks and often not having anything to do.
Productive and great place to work
Permit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 16, 2017
I have been with the city for 9 years I was able to make a career out of it I have compassion for what I do.i enjoy serving customers with great customer service and being able to brighten someone's day.
Pros
Hour breaks
Cons
Sitting all day at a desk
Turned bad
Director of Security and Services (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 11, 2017
It started out very well and then it became a break between two divisions that the boss was unable or unwilling to fix. This was only made worse by the fact that one person was able to get away with anything.
Pros
large amount of days off
Cons
back biting and favortism
Ranger
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 21, 2017
Job was fine. It was an outdoor environment that provided a great deal of exercise. The park patrons were mostly easy to deal with. I enjoyed advising the tourists about the city. The treatment of employees could stand much improvement.
Pros
Flexible work duties
Cons
Poor management
City of Chattanooga
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 19, 2017
Playing with kids and planning activites for the group of kids i have held and counseled up to 35 kids. i love working with kids and planning activites for them it makes me happy to see a smile on a childs face.
It is a difficult place to work.
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 31, 2017
The reason it is a difficult place to work is due to the lack of resources available. The tools that are required to perform my job are nearly impossible to acquire.
City of Chattanooga is good but lacks the needed personnel to make things happen.
Deputy Administrator of Education (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 12, 2017
There are a lot of positive things that happen in city government. While this is true, there also needs to be accountability and that is where this job failed.
The safety and well being of the community
Recreational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 4, 2017
Early morning consist of revising programs, making sure all paperwork, scheduling is consistent. Being able to have these responsibilities has taught me to work well with Excel, Word, and some power points. Because I work in the inner city where most of the children are African American, I find myself having a soft spot for them knowing that might not have the best upbringing and guidance at home. Knowing that I have helped one child gives me joy, coaching and teaching are my main focus because children need to learn how to follow orders and instruction.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Operating hours
Review Summary for City of Chattanooga
Office Cashier Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 22, 2017
A typical day open up the Box Office get my money bag count it in before 10:00 then open my window. Get ready for the customers to come in and buy tickets. After twenty three yrs I learn how to be patience. It was a business like none other place that I had ever work in.The management was good under new management now. The work place culture was sort of lay back. The hardest part of my job was to make sure I got my customers the right seats to try and keep them satisfied. Making my customers happy and working with the people I use to work with was most enjoyable.
Pros
Sometime the promoters would feed us.
Cons
The position never did turn into a full time position.
Work Enviroment
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 3, 2017
I enjoyed my time with the city. Towards the end of my assignment, some misleading information was given to me about my job security. Because I was lead to believe that my position would be permanent, i passed on other job opportunities in the office. I was shortly laid off after.
Pros
They gave me the time to be productive in my other dealings outsde of the office.
Cons
misleading information is given often
Proactive reactive
Systems and Database Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 12, 2016
The job is desent but there is no structure to advance. There is no respect for experience. Employees that are more than qualified to perform jobs and are performing the jobs are locked out of advancement because of education requirements.
Pros
Benefits, Medical, 401k type additional retirement
Cons
Management track record will not listen to experience, reinventing the wheel
It was ok. They pay isnt great.
Tree Trimmer/ Urban Landscape Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 13, 2016
It was an okay position that I took out of necessity. The pay is terrible but the paid time off is a plus. Would not work here again
Productive and enjoyable environment everyday.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 29, 2015
I worked in various offices throughout the city, and learned how critical each department is to the success of our city. I was working in the Transportation Department editing software, and spent a lot of time in the field gathering research. The environment was designed for success because of the amazing leaders, and the pressure of performing for top governmental officials was enduring.
Good
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 8, 2015
How to work with kids. How to be with six to ten year olds. Management was great. Co-workers with most caring people.
With my job, it was easy. Nothing hard about it. Most enjoyable was seeing smiles on the children's faces.
Good Job
A Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 3, 2015
A tipical day at work it was funn, I enjoy take care cildren
I learn how to be a head start teacher.
My co-worker they were very friendly.
the hardest part of my job it was when I say Good bye to the children and the teacher.
The most enjoyable part of my job it was play with the children and taking care of them.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Any law benefit
Great paying job and opportunities for overtime
School Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 20, 2015
I worked part time in the mornings and afternoons as a crossing guard at an elementary school, which allowed me time to take care of my small children and run errands during the day. I grew to learn the school kids names and became familiar with all the parents dropping off kids and drivers/passersby on their way to work. It was fun! The hardest part of the job was being outside in the worst weather (like heavy rain and very low temperatures). Overall, I loved the job and my supervisor was very understanding and easy to get along with.
Worked as a Chattanooga Fireman
Fire Fighter/First Responder (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 12, 2014
A typical work day was 24 hours at the fire hall. Learned how to rescue people from fires and to put out fires. Management was very helpful. Co-workers were great just like a family. Hardest part about the job was the low pay. Most enjoyable part was helping people.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Low pay
Not a bad place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 21, 2014
My day begins @ 7AM with a short meeting with the management and co-workers, then I pre-trip my truck while thinking over the days route and how to make myself the most efficient, once out on the route my job requires that I make all stops for that day. The high demand of the job & working the majority of holidays while most others are off, has to be the hardest part of the job. On the other hand though I find that many of the people I get to interact with makes it all worth it. I really enjoy seeing their smiling faces.
Pros
interacting with public
Cons
constant demand of the job itself