City of Chesapeake

City of Chesapeake Employer Reviews

productive and steady work
Laborer (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VASeptember 8, 2014
Fun co-workers,My crew leader was a conflict of interest because of family ties..Will discuss during interview
n/a
Office Specialist (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Did like being call out in hurricane season to attend shelter
everyday was fun and challenging
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 30, 2014
I love working with the school system I came in contact with 150 kids everyday and was fun and challenging and very rewarding.. I always made sure my kids were safely transported to and from school
Very good and friendly place to work
Information Specialist (Former Employee), City of ChesapeakeJune 1, 2014
Pros: friendly
My typical day at started with planning programs, identyfying speakers for specipfic programs. Plan and execute lesson plans for teaching basic computer skill to the library patrons and teaching job hunting skill. I learned efficiency and competency in delivering my job duties. The management was very supportive. Co workers worked together as a team. – more... The hardest part of the job is not been able to help some people secure a job as quickly as i would like it to be.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having patrons come back to share their joys of securing a good deserving job with me. – less
Great City
Intake Benefit Program Worker-II (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAApril 25, 2014
Pros: good work life balance
good place to work. typical day is from 8:15 to 4:45. My co workers were great. Was able to learn from more experienced worker. City provided a lot of trainings to help advance.
Limits
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAApril 8, 2014
Pros: salary, moral, benefits, working conditions vary but overall still good, respect comes with job most of the time, and the overall job itself!
Cons: lack of sleep, personal development.
A lot of teamwork is involved in order to successfully make it through a typical day or night at work. I learned that not only does personal development play a huge part in being successful but a lot of personal time volunteering as well. My co-workers were the best. I enjoyed working with those who actually came to work to effectively do their jobs. – more... The hardest part of the job was really overlooking the favoritism and continuing to be the best and who you are and at the job that you are there to do. The most enjoying part of the job was knowing that you are respected by the detainees. – less
does not support employees
Operator 1 Truck Driver (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: 1 mile from home
Cons: they did not stand by employees.
very hectic dirty job. I learned that i sometimes you can give 100% and some people just keep on taking without fairness.
management lazy. the hardest part of the job was constantly picking up others slack. doing your job and then having to go and finish others job because they are goofing off. the best part of this job was my Awesome supervisor and – more... my team. – less
Intake Specialist
Receptionist-Intake Assistant (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VADecember 4, 2013
Enjoyed working with the employee's and having the in-mates coming in. Showing what they needed to do and how the program worked. Ordering supplies for the office. Making appointments for future in-mates and scheduling visits.
Working with the City Of Cheseapeake
Recreation Leader (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VANovember 20, 2013
- Working with Chesapeake Park and Recreation is a great job, love working with the kids and interacting with the costumer.

- Great Costumer Service and Planning Programs.

- Great at helping staff learn the new programs that's giving to them.

-Co-workers are very helpful

- Hardest part is not all the question

- Interacting with the costumer and – more... helping them with the question they have. – less
Good place to work and meet good friends.
Supervisor - Hank O'Donnell, MS (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VANovember 17, 2013
Good benefits and salary with friendly work environment. Management respects staff and offers trainings to improve your knowledge in social service field.
IT technician
Intern/Volunteer (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VANovember 4, 2013
During my bried tenure with the City of Chesapeake IT dept, I was allowed to experience the fast paced duties of a field tech as well as the help desk operators. The IT department is responsible for software/hardware for the entire city of Chesapeake, VA.
low moral, no room to grow
Procurement Specialist II (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VANovember 1, 2013
Pros: close to home
Cons: no breaks, too much gossip, lack of support.
Lack of training, under qualified managers, everyday things were done differently, depending on who you asked.
Cool College Job
Recreation Leader (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 31, 2013
Pros: paid holidays, relax atmosphere
Cons: very little room for advancement
I like working for the city but to be honest and this may only be me. It seems really hard to advanced within the city unless you know somebody in the department you are trying to go into.
No room for advancement and low morale and lazy help.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 31, 2013
Pros: good health insurance thru city group policy. some holidays.
Cons: poor equipment. not enough workers to complete jobs. unskilled help.
Management was disconnected from workers. Low morale.
No raise in 5 years. No training and low possibility of advancement.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 26, 2013
Pros: being able to edcuation the youth
On a daily basic I am rssponsible for providing instruction, managing the classroom environment, and promoting student learning in the absence of the regular classroom teacher. Maintains discipline and classroom control that fosters a safe and positive environment for all students and staff in accordance with school and county policies. Implements lesson – more... plans, while ensuring the integrity of academic time and in a manner which motivates students to learn and participate.Organizes students for effective instruction. Dismisses all students from the classroom before leaving the building. Performs other related duties as assigned by building administrator(s) in accordance with school/division policies and practices.

The most enjoable part of my job is working with our young adults. I get to help them understand the information they will need on a daily basic. Which they will use through our there daily live experience. – less
I love my job
Library Assistant (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJuly 8, 2013
Pros: low-stressed plavce of work
Cons: full-time position are rarely avalible
This is low stress job that I love, sad news is there is hardly every any fullt-time positions open.
Stable Environment with great benefits
GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS ANALYST (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJune 10, 2013
City is run fairly well and has competitive salaries and benefit packages.
Fun work environment in leisure and recreation
Recreation Leader (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAJune 3, 2013
Pros: flexibility in schedule
Cons: healthcare
I supervise the facility and participants in accordance with Department policies and procedures. I assisted in the development of community service projects. I also monitor the community center during and after normal hours of operation; which includes setting up and taking down of tables/chairs, monitoring identification card system, issuing equipment, – more... assisting in conducting facility inspections, and completing applicable written reports. The last of my responsibilities included selling memberships and taking reservations/registrations through ActiveNet. – less
Great benifits, not much pay
Storekeeper (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAMay 28, 2013
Pros: great benifits
Cons: no training
You get no training, and they expect you to make on your own.

Great job, no training.
Dress code was casual
Account Assistant (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VAFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: flexible time
Cons: part-time
The Department I worked at had a business casual dress code. My co-workers were nice. The hardest part of the job was sitting and keyed data the entire day. The most enjoyable part was going with supervisors during lunch at Sams Club to check out free sample.