City of Chesapeake Employee Reviews in United States

Upper Management was a problem
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 20, 2016
The actual atmosphere of the job itself was laid back. Dress code was comfortable. My immediate supervisor was good, she worked with in situations such as time off for family needs and/or personal needs and medical needs. My co-workers were cool, I can get along with anyone. The hardest part of my job was dealing with allegations from family members of the individuals I was caring for. Upper management took their truth without evidence to support their allegations. If they made a complaint against you that was pretty much the end of your job. Upper management did not look at the fact that the employee has never had any such complaints against them, never been written up for any such complaint in all their years of working in the caregiver field.
Pros
Able to eat dinner that we cook for the residents
Cons
Not listening to the Drect Support Staff that have several years experience.
Productive & Easy Work
Labor Operator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 24, 2015
Good & easy job. Most of the co workers was nice & supportive. Most enjoyable part of the job was learning & interacting with others
Pros
Holiday Paid Off
Great place
Fire Captain (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 4, 2016
GREAT place to live and work. Chesapeake has a great benefit package and is a good safe place to work. Been here for 30 years
General Supervisor/Parks Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 7, 2015
Good Place to Work, If you can handle working in a political environment. Benefits are really hard to beat, but are changing in the current environment.
Nice place to work
Food service worker (Current Employee) –  420 Albermarle driveJuly 25, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Great coworkers and staff. The job keeps you busy your whole shift. It also can be rewarding at times.
Pros
Rotating shifts
Cons
Not a lot of overtime
No room for advancement and low morale and lazy help.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 31, 2013
Management was disconnected from workers. Low morale.
No raise in 5 years. No training and low possibility of advancement.
Pros
good health insurance thru city group policy. some holidays.
Cons
poor equipment. not enough workers to complete jobs. unskilled help.
Limits
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 8, 2014
A lot of teamwork is involved in order to successfully make it through a typical day or night at work. I learned that not only does personal development play a huge part in being successful but a lot of personal time volunteering as well. My co-workers were the best. I enjoyed working with those who actually came to work to effectively do their jobs. The hardest part of the job was really overlooking the favoritism and continuing to be the best and who you are and at the job that you are there to do. The most enjoying part of the job was knowing that you are respected by the detainees.
Pros
salary, moral, benefits, working conditions vary but overall still good, respect comes with job most of the time, and the overall job itself!
Cons
lack of sleep, personal development.
Blending Serving the City with Daily Satisfaction
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 2, 2015
I enjoy my job as a crossing guard and would enjoy the opportunity to be of more use to my community and the police department. I look forward to my daily interaction with the mobile population as I stand watch on my corners preparing for my charges aka ducklings. I feel privileged to have the support of the traffic division as well as the crew at the Greenbrier YMCA
Pros
they pay for uniforms, i don't work when the schools are not open, great flexibility
Cons
the weather, the unstable moods of middle schoolers, not a true team environment as my job is a lone person job
Good place to work and meet good friends.
Supervisor - Hank O'Donnell, MS (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 17, 2013
Good benefits and salary with friendly work environment. Management respects staff and offers trainings to improve your knowledge in social service field.
Very good and friendly place to work
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  City of ChesapeakeJune 1, 2014
My typical day at started with planning programs, identyfying speakers for specipfic programs. Plan and execute lesson plans for teaching basic computer skill to the library patrons and teaching job hunting skill. I learned efficiency and competency in delivering my job duties. The management was very supportive. Co workers worked together as a team. The hardest part of the job is not been able to help some people secure a job as quickly as i would like it to be.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having patrons come back to share their joys of securing a good deserving job with me.
Pros
friendly
Overall, the City of Chesapeake, a municipality, is a great employer providing great benefits and quality of life as well as a variety of opportunity
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 14, 2012
The City of Chesapeake is a great employer that generally considers the quality of life and work environment for it's employees. It provides great flexibility with a valuable benefits package to include retirement. It is not uncommon for employees to work for the City of Chesapeake beyond 10 years into retirement years.
Pros
benefits and flexible work schedules
Cons
changing policy, direction of goals, change in council members
Productive and fun place where I was introduced to working with children and able to use creativity and leadership skills.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Great Bridge, ChesapeakeJanuary 11, 2012
I enjoyed working for the City of Chesapeake, management was very professional and worked to help make me the most successful at my position. Monitoring children was good experience where the City gave me freedom to use my creativity and leadership skills to help create the most successful weekly schedules for me to ensure a good experience for the kids and my co-workers.
Pros
lots of hours every day, good pay and weekends off.
Cons
no flexibility in scheduling.
Water production and distribution of 10,000,000 gallons of water per day.
Water Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 25, 2012
• Site reconnaissance and preparation for water treatment activity for 10 millions of domesticated water
• Setup of equipment and facilities; operation and maintenance of water treatment equipment; management of potable water supplies.
• Monitoring the storage, transport, and disposal of waste; water quality analysis and testing;
• Inspection of facilities and food supplies for the presence of disease, germs, and other environmentally hazardous conditions
Wonderful environment
Volunteer Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 28, 2012
My typical day at work was assisting citizens and other visitors at the front counter. What I learned was being resourceful plays an important part in helping people who were on the municipal grounds and passed through City Hall. The management was very supportative and believed in giving recognition to their employees and volunteers. My co-workers were very nice. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people and knowing I was able to help them.
does not support employees
Operator 1 Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 19, 2014
very hectic dirty job. I learned that i sometimes you can give 100% and some people just keep on taking without fairness.
management lazy. the hardest part of the job was constantly picking up others slack. doing your job and then having to go and finish others job because they are goofing off. the best part of this job was my Awesome supervisor and my team.
Pros
1 mile from home
Cons
they did not stand by employees.
Working as an intern
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 14, 2012
+The people working their were very supportive.
+Typically I would be rotated among different departments, such as construction management, inspection, surveying and more.
+The exposure really broaden my experience.
+Work was fairly decent, usually reviewing plans or assisting inspectors and surveyors on the job.
Pros
great coworkers, great exposure to different fields
Cons
sometimes there was not enough work
Productive and teamwork oriented organization
Public Information Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 29, 2015
I spent six years working for the Public Communications Department with the City of Chesapeake. My typical day included interviewing department heads or their representatives to gather information about their individual communications needs. I learned more about desktop publishing, emergency communications and emergency operations. I learned how to research, write and implement a public relations plan.
Pros
diverse employee group
Cons
training budget was always strained
Great City
Intake Benefit Program Worker-II (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 25, 2014
good place to work. typical day is from 8:15 to 4:45. My co workers were great. Was able to learn from more experienced worker. City provided a lot of trainings to help advance.
Pros
good work life balance
Great city to work for with great benefits but no room for advancement.
Office Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VirginiaSeptember 11, 2014
My typical day starts with getting up 5:45 am driving through gridlock sometimes, arriving to work 5-10 minutes early to meditate. I clock in 2-3 minutes before my scheduled work time (7:00 am) only to make sure I'm on time. I then turn on soothing music to get my mind ready for the work that awaits me. I really don't talk much at work because we (other staff) is busy all the time but we do joke a little to break the monotony. Not to brag but my Microsoft Office skills are basically "professional" as well as "efficient" for lack of better words. I'm really looking for a job that is more challenging of my skills but with basically the same benefits I receive with the City of Chesapeake. Upper management often need my help to figure out certain tasks in Word or PowerPoint for example: One of my supervisors didn't know how to insert a bullet. Another supervisor didn't know how to downsize a diagram from an 11 x 17 to an 8.5 x 11 from a PDF file on the computer and to have it print out the same size. I've had to create charts, graphs etc. in PowerPoint and Excel because no one else is as efficient as I am using this program, same with Publisher and Access. Not many people know how to convert a PDF or several PDF's to a Word document using the PDFill Free PDF Tools site. My co-workers are easy to work with when we aren't busy we talk a little then back to work. The hardest part of my job is trying to create work for myself because everyone here is somewhat self-sufficient. I then do other work for other departments such as the Accounting section in Public Works, scanning old documents,  more... input of invoices, accounts payable/receivable etc.; City Attorney office Xeroxing pages and pages of lawyer documents. The part I love the most about this job is basically getting along with every one of the Engineers and the Account Tech on the Maintenance side as well as the Construction side of employees, teaching them something new and me learning something every day such as what an “Engineer” or “Inspector” does on a daily basis which gives me some insight as to why I’m performing certain tasks as well as recognizing what I’m doing so I would know what to do.  less
Pros
hours of work weeks. having the opportunity to flex meaning off every other friday.
Cons
getting off work in a lot of traffic.
Cool College Job
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 31, 2013
I like working for the city but to be honest and this may only be me. It seems really hard to advanced within the city unless you know somebody in the department you are trying to go into.
Pros
paid holidays, relax atmosphere
Cons
very little room for advancement

City of Chesapeake Reviews by Location