City of Chesapeake Employee Reviews

Poor Management, Poor Cultural Competency, Very Little Caring
Clinician (Current Employee) –  CIBHJune 15, 2017
The City Of Chesapeake is a huge entity but overall it appears that the level of care for employees is the same. It appears that this city of ruled by power and control. The Director of Human Services in addition to the some of the administration at Chesapeake Integrated Behavioral Healthcare (Chesapeake CSB). They are governed by selfish motives. There have been several employees who have abruptly quit and resigned due to the conflicting philosophies, poor management styles, immoral leadership styles, retaliatory approaches to discipline, among unethical and disturbing practices.
I had two amazing supervisors but I am displeased and disgusted with management. I enjoyed my experience working with my clients but I would never return under the same leadership/management.
Pros
Working with my clients
Cons
Fun working with the residents.
Direct Support Technician (Current Employee) –  224 Great Bridge BlvdJune 11, 2017
My job consist of heavy lifting, bending, pulling & pushing. Management is over bearing. Working with the residents & making their day better is the best part of the job
Pros
Helping Individuals with disabilities
Cons
Heavy lifting
Great job
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 19, 2017
Driving is a wonderful job for parents with children. The schedule allows you to be with your children and earn extra money. You are off on all holidays that your children are.
Pros
great schedule
Cons
not enough hours to earn a good paycheck.
The residential facility was a nightmare
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 27, 2017
Working at the residential facility was a nightmare. Management has made a 360, none of the original supervisors are there, says a lot for a place that hasn't been open for 5 years yet. Lot of turmoil, favoritism, and unjust things go on in this place with employees and to the residents. They are big liars (management) and when ever you talk to their supervisors about it or someone in HR about what's going on there they lie and cover it up! All NEW floor staff, which don't work, lazy, and don't do any active treatment for those people, especially on their second shifts. They don't abide by their own policies. It's jus a new overall!!
Pros
Go out in the community
Cons
Supervisors, favoritism, overworked, little pay
Enjoyed the enviroment and peers
Office Coordinator, Chesapeake Human Services (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 26, 2017
Overall, I enjoyed the office atmosphere and peers. Supervisors willing to train to enable me to do my job properly. Enjoyed the educational training opportunities.
Pros
Pleasant atmosphere/training opportunities
interesting place to work
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 31, 2017
As an intern i was able to work all around the city with a bunch of different positions. They gave me a great overview of life working at the city. My position was unpaid.
Greet coworkers it was like working with family.
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 20, 2017
I loved working for the City Of Chesapeake. My job allowed me to still take my kids to appointments and make it back to work in time. Never a problem on pay day. Back then we had paid sick days etc. even for part-time employee's.
Pros
Off when school was closed
Cons
No Health care
Always something to do.
Library Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 7, 2017
There is always plenty of work to keep you busy. The people you work with are easy to get along with. The patrons are pretty easy to please. This is a great place to work on and implement your customer service skills.
Pros
Hour long lunches
Cons
No health care for part-time employees.
DO NOT recommend at all!!
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 23, 2017
Their known for saying they are "The City that Cares." What they care about has yet to be determined. It is definitely NOT their employees. Police officers, Sheriff deputies and Fire Fighters are well underpaid and under appreciated. Public Safety officials have been fighting for years to get this matter solved with no success.
Pros
Free uniforms.
Cons
Low pay. Dishonest Leadership
Long Hours, Not enough compensation
Emergency Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 27, 2016
Decent salary but you have to work an excessive and almost impossible amount of hours with few days off. It can be tough for persons with small children or families.

Want to know more about City of Chesapeake?

Ask a question
School
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 14, 2016
Good work environment, fairly easy job. Competitive pay and decent benefits. Starts out as part tie so you can work two jobs which is nice.
It was productive and enjoyable place to work.
Houskeeper (Former Employee) –  City of Chesapeake, VAAugust 3, 2016
Busy from the time you start until you leave. I liked staying busy straight through the evening.The coworkers were great to work with. Management was thorough and helpful to the staff.
Pros
Working together as a team.
Cons
The hours were at night
Upper Management was a problem
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 20, 2016
The actual atmosphere of the job itself was laid back. Dress code was comfortable. My immediate supervisor was good, she worked with in situations such as time off for family needs and/or personal needs and medical needs. My co-workers were cool, I can get along with anyone. The hardest part of my job was dealing with allegations from family members of the individuals I was caring for. Upper management took their truth without evidence to support their allegations. If they made a complaint against you that was pretty much the end of your job. Upper management did not look at the fact that the employee has never had any such complaints against them, never been written up for any such complaint in all their years of working in the caregiver field.
Pros
Able to eat dinner that we cook for the residents
Cons
Not listening to the Drect Support Staff that have several years experience.
hard work but no family life
Garbage Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 21, 2016
Working at the city waste management department is like having a big dysfunctional family, But all the women and men that you work with are fun loving people.
Pros
job for life
Cons
bad management
Great place
Fire Captain (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 4, 2016
GREAT place to live and work. Chesapeake has a great benefit package and is a good safe place to work. Been here for 30 years
Productive & Easy Work
Labor Operator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 24, 2015
Good & easy job. Most of the co workers was nice & supportive. Most enjoyable part of the job was learning & interacting with others
Pros
Holiday Paid Off
Cons
General Supervisor/Parks Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 7, 2015
Good Place to Work, If you can handle working in a political environment. Benefits are really hard to beat, but are changing in the current environment.
Nice place to work
Food service worker (Current Employee) –  420 Albermarle driveJuly 25, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Great coworkers and staff. The job keeps you busy your whole shift. It also can be rewarding at times.
Pros
Rotating shifts
Cons
Not a lot of overtime
Blending Serving the City with Daily Satisfaction
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 2, 2015
I enjoy my job as a crossing guard and would enjoy the opportunity to be of more use to my community and the police department. I look forward to my daily interaction with the mobile population as I stand watch on my corners preparing for my charges aka ducklings. I feel privileged to have the support of the traffic division as well as the crew at the Greenbrier YMCA
Pros
they pay for uniforms, i don't work when the schools are not open, great flexibility
Cons
the weather, the unstable moods of middle schoolers, not a true team environment as my job is a lone person job
great job
Dispatch Operator (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 8, 2015
my job is very demanding and requires me to be able to multitask and work shift work. we are currently working 12hr shifts which are very demanding on the body.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Chesapeake. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Chesapeake Reviews by Location