City of Chicago Employee Reviews

friendly
Southwest Regional Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2017
I really joyed working for the city. very friendly and got along with every one and director very friendly I joyed my position job.and I would recommend any one to work here . every one are very nice and help each other as team too
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break
Parking Investigator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2017
Great place to work with diverse network of people.Great place to learn new skills while working as a team member. Great place for promotional growth
Pros
Experience
Cons
Lengthy emp;oyment process
Stressful, Heartbreaking to see children and victims in these situation.
Domestic Violence Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2017
Working with Domestic Violence is very stressful, Children are being affected and parents don't realizes the life damage. More Laws needs to take place to protect all victims of Domestic Violence
Pros
Good paid
Cons
stressful
ok
Motor Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2017
Good pay, benefits were excellent co-workers were diligent in their efforts in helping others. Management was fair, days were challenging but worth your scale.
Pros
ok
Great Place to Learn
Assistant Corporation Counsel (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2017
Great experience. Great teachers.

Learn all that you can and leave. There aren't a lot of opportunities for advancement or raises. They don't offer flexible work options, and the pay is low. However, in most divisions in the law department, you will work a lot. This is not the place to come from big law to relax. People who think that leave quickly to work for another firm. They will work you hard.
Pros
Great experinece/ Great people
Cons
Work, Pay, Lifestyle
Lots of Diversity at the City of Chicago - You work with a lot of people who really are dedicated to their jobs with great work ethics.
Administrative Services Officer I (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2017
Lots of Diversity and you make life long friends. I can say that the most rewarding part of my job is working with the employees. The Employer really does not do much promoting within and there is not much training given to employees. The company is also too political.
Benefits
Cons
Too Political
Ok I guess
Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2017
I liked where I worked but the city government is too big to actually give an accurate assessment. The ability to accomplish goals frequently seemed hampered by politics, etc. which will wear you down quickly.
Education is Political
Youth and Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2017
It is a great place to develop and grow understanding the politics of education in Chicago. Opportunities for advancement are available. Collaboration between campus and district.
Enjoyed working with the members of the department
District Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2017
There was no typical day within the department. I learned numerous things one of the most important was that every job within the department is related and members must rely on each other to do their jobs. The culture within the department was like one big family. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
Great people working together to accomplish one goal
Great place to work!
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2017
If you do your job and don't get involved w/cliques you w/do great. There are new people coming on board and it is improving. Some supervisors are not in the AFSCME union which is unfair but overall very content.
Directs and contriols the flow of traffic to ensure the safety of pedestrians crossing at intersections
Trffic Control Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2017
I like assisting Elderly and Disabled pedestrians answering inquires and gives geographic directions to the public, prepare reports and issues traffic citations for violations to document incidents occurring during assigned shift
Pulling the garage carts to the truck and pushing the carts to truck, walking alot the blocks each day
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2017
The job Have good day and bad days to work at big company and some bossse should favor some employer to easy job. The management of City of Chicago need to get better to organize.
Pros
you have some good supervisor and good partner
Cons
short lunch and some location are not safe to work
Union Car (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2017
Working with the City of Chicago allowed be the opportunity to build great relationships with a diverse groups of people. I was able to use my carpentry skill while working on the different construction sites at the building of police stations, health clinics and at Chicago Public Libraries.
Pros
Skills
Cons
Health Insurance
Budget failure
Aviation labor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2017
I work digging arround water mains, large street project ,summer winter I was young and active enjoy work yard all workers got along with all general formen new of my dedication formen appreciated my work and the way I applied my self to my fellow workers all liked me ,I begin work with plumber as a apprentice as a help until Laid off due to city budget failure
Could be a great place once upper management is more stable and consistent.
Senior Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2017
CPS has many financial challenges and it causes the organization to be unstable.

The most enjoyable part of the job and knowing your hard work is improving the lives of so many student across the district.
Working for City of Chicago
Construction Laborer Foreman (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2017
Working for The City of Chicago has been a blessing to me . It has helped me give my son a great education financially through the years . I met and worked with great people . I learned a lot about public service .

Thank You .
Pros
Great City Employment .
Cons
None!
Helping people is a special gift, and we help a lot of people.
Aviation Communication Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2017
Everyday working is a great day! A typical day would be answering calls, and helping people who are in need of medical attention. Management is great, and with the proper guidance you always have a chance to soar to the top.
Productive and fun workplace
Finance Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2017
I gained trust from both my colleagues and the supervisor, and my professional techniques, teamwork ability as well as communication skills were prominently enhanced through the internship.
Interesting place to work.
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2017
For those instructed in learning the ins and outs of municipal government and motivated in serving the public. There are opportunities for advancement as well as an education in problem solving for the unique situations which arise in city government.
Pros
Helping the public
My work place was very challenging but we were like one big family! It was bitter sweet to leave!
Administrative Assistant II/Payroll Editor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2017
Everyone was professional in during what had to be done and also helping out each other! It was very challenging when we had to do trainings and make copies of documents!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.