City of Chicago

City of Chicago Employer Reviews

Team building great leadership from General Foreman.
Lamp Maintenance (Current Employee), 2400 S. Ashland Avenue Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: interact directly with the foreman and general foreman.
Cons: sometime we don't take a break to ensure job is completed.
Our job consist of ensuring the citizen of Chicago that they have adequate and efficient lighting throughout the entire city. This has been one of my greatest accomplishments to serve the City. The leadership ensures that we have the proper tools and equipment to complete our job task. We work close together as a team to ensure that every job is completed in a safety and timely manner. I really don't feel the job itself is hard we have had some difficult task but always manage to complete them as a team. Knowing that at the end of the day the job has been completed.
LOVED THE PEOPLE
Children Youth Services Consultant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2014
HELPING OTHERS WAS THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB. EVERYDAY WAS GREAT
Being a Police Officer for Twenty Years was Incredible!
Police Officer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2014
Pros: learning the real job of a police officer
Cons: wear and tear on your heart and body
I learned so many valuable life lessons while working as a Chicago Police Officer. The best training I received was as a Crisis Intervention Officer where I learned teamwork when dealing with extremely critical situations. My best times were working at schools with at risk teens. I feel as though I really made a difference in the lives of a few children that were in dire need of intervention. I also started and directed a choir at one of my schools for two years, that experience was also very rewarding.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant - Clerk IV (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: can't be late paying any city bills, like parking tickets, water bill etc.
Great company to work for when you get in, good benefits. You can grow and advance while working here. A place to meet different people.
N/A
Custodian (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
A great place to work if the salary was better and the coworkers are not nice people to work with.
lunch with my crew is fun
Streets and Sanitation, Motor Truck Driver (Former Employee), lawndale officeAugust 4, 2014
Pros: the enjoyment of driving
Cons: it was seasonal
the job was exciting,the people was nice.
work starts at 6 done by 2. you learn fast and on the job.
management was very helpful and friendly.
coworkers all were friendly and helpful
hardest part was leaving the job.
enjoyable part was the job itself.
Working for taxpayers of Chicago
Administrative Assistant III/OSV (Former Employee), Chicago, IllinoisAugust 2, 2014
Pros: good healthcare benefits
Cons: flex-time schedules taking away
Typical work day consist of entering information into oracle system to obtain receipt numbers for vendors to get paid for repairs to city of chicago vehicles. I learned the oracle system; how to enter charges for labor/parts and close accounts; research pertinent recall information. Each co-worker had their group of vendors to work with. Everyone pretty much did their own job. The hardest part of the job was obtaining the information need to complete the process. The most enjoyable part of the job was when all work was completed for the day.
Parking Enforcement Aide
Parking Enforcement Aide (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2014
Pros: off holidays and weekends
Cons: general population don't like tickets
Walk designated routes in all types of weather to check for parking violations. The co-workers you work with are friendly and very easy to get along with, however the general population don't especially like that your giving them a ticket
pay rate is great!!
Traffic Control Aide (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2014
Pros: highest paying part-time job 18.71
Cons: not enough hours and work out doors and all kinds of weather
The pay rate is great! If you want to go to school they work around your schedule, most of the supervisors are great to. Like every job it's good days and some bad days. depends on traffic and event.
A typical day at work.
Motor Truck Driver (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2014
Pros: meeting new people and experiencing other job interests.
Cons: really can't comment on this because every circumstance is different.
A typical day at work for myself is a productive 8 hour day. I'm assigned a set of laborers and we complete a certain amount of units per day. Unit is another name for alley. Most of the laborers are good workers and some not so good but we know what our job is and just letting them know I'm here to help. We make it a good work environment for each other. Most of our management positions are held by 20 year plus employees and most are easy to get along with. I believe thru good rapport it makes it easy to talk to coworkers and management alike. The most enjoyable part of the day is having coffee with some of my coworkers before we start our day.
Internship-Marketinig and Administrator
Marketing Intern and Administrator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2014
Pros: hands on projects
Chicago based investment banking firm as well as broader financial and business advisory services.

• Organized investor receptions and meetings with potential clients.
• Established & maintained the CRM system for all contacts of the Managing Directors.
• Co-developed the Firm’s brochures and informational pages.

I enjoyed working one on one with each of the partners in the firm. I completed this internship while I was a full time student. It taught me business admin responsibilities, along with starting from scratch to market the company. This is a very male dominated industry, opposed to the restaurant/bar industry, so I was able to get a better understanding of this industry and how to work with all types of people.
ok to work for
Garbage Truck Laborer (Current Employee), ChicagoJuly 7, 2014
to begin our day we clock in look for our job assignment and truck and leave our yard to head to our job location.
Stressful yet rewarding when you feel the gratefulness of the citizen or when you're work is noticed in the workplace.
Police Communications Officer II (911) (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 28, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: work hours
This is a position that works under stressful conditions to ensure that during a life threatening emergency every citizen's request will be properly handled and appropriately routed for Emergency Services.
very upbeat place to work
Delivery Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 9, 2014
a fast tempo type of job taught me how to get my work done quickly on time and also neatly
It was just a summer job
Planning and Development (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 9, 2014
Nice people it was a great experience at the time and it was my first job.
N/A
Watchman (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 3, 2014
Being alone at some places was rough. You were often placed in tough neighborhoods. Little room for advancement.
Exciting work environment but very stressful
Police officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 2, 2014
A very stressful work environment but cool co-workers, awesome vacation time, and great benefit package.
Auto part clerk
Auto Parts Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 13, 2014
Pros: i work alone
At midway airport issue truck part to shop mechanics. also order parts stocks. and kept inventory of parts. I learn how to fax documents.
excallent work place
Plumber (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 5, 2014
Pros: always different location
Cons: dealing with different personalities
Being a Floater shows that several people were saticfied with my work knowing once i left that site they were confident no one had to come back for the same job
Productive place to work and will learn many new skills
General Laborer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 29, 2014
I've learned the importance of the upkeep of the city and how much the residence value the upkeep of the city. I work 8 hours, five days a week and mainly outdoors.

About City of Chicago

It may be the windy city, or even the "Second City," but Chicago has much more going for it than memorable nicknames. With a population – Read more

City of Chicago Photos