City of Chicago

City of Chicago Employer Reviews

Stable work environment
Testing Administrator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Cons: salary employees are treated like hourly employees as far as clock in and out times
Work environment is very relaxed but productive, interact with many different city departments and people. Co-worker are hard working and dependable.
GREAT JOB FOR ADVANCEMENT.
TRAFFIC AIDE (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: paid is good.
Cons: must be focus at all times.
GREAT PLACE FOR LEARNING NEW ASPECTS. THE MANAGEMENT IS GOOD AND A STRESS FREE ENVIRONMENT.
Productive and constructive enviroment
Volunteer Community Emergency Responder (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: flexibility, free lunch
Cons: low on materials
I learned to work with a group of diverse members of society whom worked for different company's and businesses throughout the Chicagoland area. It provided me with great listening skills and tons of networking experience with other individuals of like mind in the field of public service
CDM was an interesting compay to work at
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Buffalo Grove, ILJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: not challenging enough and no where for me to move up.
I had the opportunity to learn more about workers on the job and the benefits and medical treatments allowed.

My first real experience working with the Medical Industry so it was different.

I was responsible for the general management of the office, correspondence, medical reports, billing etc.
childcare
Caretaker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2014
A very easy job... very demanding and very busy... but its a fun job
internship
Student Intern - Law Department (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2013
learn basic job and communication skills within a business environment.
Very rewarding position!
Community Organizer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2013
Pros: informing families of the help for victims of domestic violence.
Cons: witnessing the injuries to women and children who were victims of domestic violence.
As a community organizer I was placed in a Chicago community to give support and information regarding domestic violence. I worked along side the Chicago Police Department and attended monthly meetings to inform the residents of my position and the information I had available and stressed confidentiality. I met with religious leaders, school officials – more... and volunteers in the neighborhood and held focus groups. I learned that domestic violence is in every neighborhood, it affects every economic, social and religious class, including teens. My managers and co-workers were a great support and taught me so much. The hardest part of my job was meeting with victims and their children and the devastation and pain they endured. The injuries I saw were shocking! The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people to know there is help. Also, seeing the women who were not only able to leave their abusers but to leave them with nothing but their children and the clothes on their back. My job was to let women, teens and men know there is help available.
It was the most rewarding position I ever held and was very sad when the funding for my position ran out. – less
A good intern experience
Accountant Assistant, Internship (Former Employee), chicagoDecember 2, 2013
A typical day at work:

Update changes to the system;
Read financial report;
Write reports to supervisor;
Keep record on every changes;
My review
Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2013
Pros: rate of pay
Cons: lack of consistent hours
This job is only good if you already have a full time M-F job and you can work this on weekends. Its basically seasonal and in very high demand in the spring and summer months. On the upside a typical workday is pretty enjoyable if you enjoy working with the public. Its only hard if you don't have patience for testy citizens. Working alongside coworkers – more... can be nice as well as well and a friendly demeanor among each other will smooth over a challenging work shift directing traffic. Management drives around and notate fellow TCA's style of work. I've learned its best to clock in and do your work to the best of your ability. – less
Chicago is the best place to live and work
Deputy Director of Scheduling and Advance (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2013
This was one of my favorite jobs. Always on the go and making a difference in the community.
Moderate workplace and an awesome supervisor
Mayor Daley Summer Job Program (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2013
Pros: winning lunch, not having to really do anything, and a positive work enviorment
Cons: short breaks, the humidity, spiders, birds, and sore joints
Usually on a basic work day, I would come in through the back lobby door and open the neighborhood computer lab.
I would turn on the computers, set up the chairs, and date the sign-in sheets so my co-workers can sign in.
It was 12 of us in all, including myself, and we would work 8 hours a day, Monday-Thursday earning $75.00 a week.

This job taught – more... me about Microsoft Word, how to create spreadsheets, filing, and organizing. I did this type of work every other day, Monday and Wednesday. On Tuesday and Thursday I would do janitorial work, such as: Sweep the computer lab and laundry room floors, mopping also, pick up the trash, empty the trash, tape notices next to the elevator, ect.

My supervisor and manager, Katrina Herring, was amazing. She made the job easy for all of us, by making sure everyone did their part and not slouch and mess around. My co-workers were great. I got along with them tremendously. They were easy out-going people that can put a smile on anyone's face. When I was put in charge they didn't argue with me or make any situation difficult, and they got the job done.

In the beginning the hardest part about the job was learning about Microsoft and filing, but after a couple days the work was a breeze. I'm a very fast learner.

Last but not least, The most enjoyable part of the job was on random days when everything was done and there was still time left, we would get to go home early or be on the computers recreationally.
I loved those days. – less
Great internship experience
Office of Special Projects and Verification (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2013
Great internship experience especially if interested in learning about municipal operations
Learned alot about politics
City Elections Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2013
Responsible for all ballot machines in polling places.
Testing off all machines prior to delivery to polling places.
Supervised all workers at polling places
Fast Paced Organization with friendly conversations and smiles
Traffic Management Authority (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2013
A typical day at work for me is directing traffic in full 360 degree angles with drivers and pedestrians ensuring that follow all traffic laws risking my life in the streets

Learned that it's not a hard job and how to be visible to drivers so that they obey traffic signs... it's like crossing the street and basically being safe for myself, drivers, – more... & pedestrians.

Manage no one.

Co-workers are friendly and respectful with senses of humor.

Hardest part of the job are lazy employees and suspicious anything

Best part of the job s being able to explore the city's different events while directing traffic. – less
Fun work place. Easy going staff and managment.
RECREATIONAL LEADER (Former Employee), chicago il 60622October 17, 2013
Pros: working with children, helping the disabled learn new things.
I would take care of any where between 5 to 9 kids between the ages of 4-8 every day. I would plan learning activities for them as well as fun ones. We would have lunch time where each child would get their own lunch. He had monthly field trips to the beach and museum. That was during the summer. During the rest of the year, I was year round where I – more... would help with children that had mental disabilities and physical ones. I would help them learn how to do daily task and make it easier for them to do on their own at home. – less
Laborer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2013
Worked directly with City of Chicago Strategic planning of directing and maintaining traffic control.
It w an exciting place to work, never a bad day.
Clerk III (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2013
Pros: got to leave early every holiday season.
Cons: sometimes the work could be hectic....
I worked with mostly Police Officers, who were in and out of the office. I handle the maintenance on their police vehicles, maintained their daily tickets counts assisted with other operational needs of the traffic division.
very productive
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2013
Pros: enjoy working with children
Cons: no parent participation
I enjoyed working for the city, however I want to go into business for my self.
great experience
Finance Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2013
worked as an intern. great exposure to the corporate finance.
Accuracy and timeliness when processing customers payments.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2013
Pros: fast paced environment
Cons: no opportunity for growth or development
This was a long term temporary assingment. I processed payments while utilizing S4000 machine.

About City of Chicago

It may be the windy city, or even the "Second City," but Chicago┬áhas much more going for it than memorable nicknames. With a population – Read more

City of Chicago Photos