City of Chicago Employee Reviews

Good retirement pension
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2015
The outcome is a good pension, that is if the city does not change to a 401K. The cost of living in the city is high and as a city employee you are required to live in the city.
A tough job that requires a lot of skills.
Investigator II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2016
I enjoy serving the citizens of Chicago. The hardest part of the job is trying to show the citizens of Chicago that you are doing fair investigations and you make decisions based on the evidence presented before you. I have learned to do thorough investigations and have received training in order to conduct investigations.
Election Judge (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2016
The City of Chicago does need more improvements in certain aspects in management and taking care of it's workers they can need to make changes
Pros
You get paid
Cons
the general people attitude
Challenging and exciting work!
Scheduler/ Public Affairs Manager for Chicago's (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2016
It was a true pleasure to work with the City of Chicao. The work was challenging and fulfilling. And, the people you meet are wonderful!
Pros
Rewarding work!
Cons
Small staff
very active
Hand Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2016
loved my job always on the move great people to work for. worked outside, a lot of walking, great job, just ended to soon. that was my dream job, i loved hanging signs, cleaning up, etc.
Pros
great supervisor
Cons
none really
alderman asst
Alderman asst (Current Employee) –  6247 s archer chicago il 60638July 14, 2016
love my job great place to work dealing with people and all of the city seniors and many different people trying to solve there problems
City Clerk
City Clerk Internship (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2016
Valuable learning experience. Good experience in learning about city government. Staff could use some intervention in the area of engagement and customer service.
Pros
location, diversity, training
Cons
needs some morale improvements
This job can be very easy if you can deal with the public.
Traffic Control Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2016
It's a very interesting and easy job. Some days and details you work your butt off and some days it's easy money.Your daily routine is being out in the middle of the intersection directing traffic, preventing gridlocks.
Pros
You get to work most events ex:( sporting, parades, concerts).
Cons
You may work most of the fun holidays.
Working for taxpayers of Chicago
Administrative Assistant III/OSV (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 2, 2014
Typical work day consist of entering information into oracle system to obtain receipt numbers for vendors to get paid for repairs to city of chicago vehicles. I learned the oracle system; how to enter charges for labor/parts and close accounts; research pertinent recall information. Each co-worker had their group of vendors to work with. Everyone pretty much did their own job. The hardest part of the job was obtaining the information need to complete the process. The most enjoyable part of the job was when all work was completed for the day.
Pros
Good healthcare benefits
Cons
flex-time schedules taking away
I love working for the City of Chicago
Director of Intergovernmental Relations (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2016
I've learned alot about people overall. It is not easy dealing with the public. Each day is different. The hardest part is not being able to help everyone. It's tough to see that alot of people are hurting in this city. The most enjoyable part about this job are the people are work with.
It was a place that has a capacity to allow you to learn if taught properly
Manager of Revenue Collections (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2016
I worked in the finance department and it was a place that also I learned alot from people who I didn't work directly but their knowledge helped me with the ins and outs of how to work at the City of Chicago. I learned some life skills and finance skills that can and will take me further in my career journey
Great place to work and serve the public
DIRECTOR OF PROGRAM OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Office of the City Clerk - City HallJune 15, 2015
Excellent opportunity to hone customer service skills working with the public. Most difficult part of my employment was dealing with the political aspect of the office of which I worked. Very political atmosphere.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Working for elected officials who have big egos.
keeping children safe from traffic
crossing guard (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2016
cross children from busy street
how to stop traffic
police officer
everyone is very helpful
no hard part
having everyone thank me and them knowing im here to keep the children safe
strict work place
Payment Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2014
A busy environment with non stop customers who sometimes would be irritated. I loved talking to them to calm them down and show them the right way to handle there business and go about there day. The best part of my job was talking to the customers and helping them pay there tickets, and seeing them leave my window with good spirits. The worst part about working for the City Of Chicago was when I wasn't able to help a customer the way I wanted to and would have to send them to a different department.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
short breaks
Despite what people think there are good hard-working people that do work for the City.
Automotive Machinist (Former Employee) –  City of ChicagoNovember 13, 2012
I had an opportunity to work on a large variety of equipment which meant I learned quite a bit. During my stint working with the City I had the opportunity to work at both airports which was very interesting. Co-workers were good and helpful. Most managment was ok. The pay and benefits were very good. Unfortunately, I had to leave when my new wife refused to live within the City limits once we had children.
Pros
pay and benefits were very good! overtime pay available quite often.
Cons
work hours - 11:00p.m. to 6:00 a.m
exciting, meeting people
Traffic Control Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2012
assuring the safety of pedestrians and vehicles as well as myself. I've learned how to be more patient, smile a greet people. This has an positive effect on me as well as them. Enjoy working with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is to remain calm when I come in contact with a person that is in a very bad mood. I keep it on a professional level and continue to smile regardless of the situation. The most enjoyable time is when I can brighten someone's day by smiling and laughing with them.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
part-time, no benefits
Productive and Flexible Environment
Web Database Developer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2016
I had a good time working with the City of Chicago. Had an opportunity to learn a lot about the web development with PHP. Co-workers have been very friendly which made it easier to get accustomed to the atmosphere.
It was different doing so many things at once
Election Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2016
I had a good experience with working with different youths of Chicago. Going around town of things I haven't seen or done before and it helped me with realization of a much bigger world and what I could do to help and change.
Pros
The experience
Cons
Not enough youth help
Upbeat, postive and energetic environment with something new- always
Constituent Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL. 60617November 13, 2015
Our office is already a tight knit family in the few short month that we have been together. Our number one goal are our constituents followed by our ward. Everyday is a new adventure, services range from a variety of things. The best part about this position is the constant learning. There's never a dull moment! Management is very much of the team mentality, everyones input is appreciated and taken into consideration- still and all the final decision is based on what is best for our people and community.
Pros
The positive energy, and collaborative spirit everyone has
Cons
Following an administration that had been in place for many years
I like the work place.
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2016
I meet a lot of people each day. I take pride in my ability to cross children everyday to insure their safety to and from school.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Cars disobey rules.