City of Chicago Employee Reviews

Energetic and fast paced
Medical Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2017
On a given day, during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out – proactively – what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively use our team’s time in exceeding client’s expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises. Rest of the week goes in delivering the product(s), updating the status with the client, answering emails and calls from our global teams. My role involves extensive management responsibilities and staying organized is not an option.
First Job
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2017
It was fun and labor intensed. There were thousands of files from employees of the city that had to be organized on a daily basis along with entering data into the system. Many phone calls were answered to fulfill the needs of city workers.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not much pay...heavy work load
Great place to work if you like to work with people
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2017
Good benefits. Paid vacation days. Paid sick leave. 1 personal day a year. Lunch room. Break room (in the works) but will have that amenity. Bathrooms on all floors.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
If you don not live near by, it is a long commute
Productive and friendly
Civil Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2017
This is the most treasure memory for me to work in this place for over a half year. At the very beginning of working here, I came across so many barriers and difficulties, but my co-workers and supervisors are so friendly and having patience to teach me how to finish my job correctly.
Very strict work place
Traffic Management Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 30, 2017
Doing this job you have to pay attention at all times... you have to own and know what your doing... you also have to look out for you because they don't offer medical benefits...
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No medical benefits but they want you to stand in big streets to direct traffic .
productive
Traffic Control Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2017
directing traffic is mainly a one man team. your out there mostly alone and moving traffic to keep flowing. i enjoyed the job just not so much standing 9 hours or more with absolutely no break.
Great place to make life long friends
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2017
Chicago is a major city with lots of opportunities. You can grow and there are great benefits. They have tuition reimbursement up to graduate degrees.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
Busy city with a lot of areas that have lots of crime
friendly
Southwest Regional Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2017
I really joyed working for the city. very friendly and got along with every one and director very friendly I joyed my position job.and I would recommend any one to work here . every one are very nice and help each other as team too
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break
Parking Investigator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2017
Great place to work with diverse network of people.Great place to learn new skills while working as a team member. Great place for promotional growth
Pros
Experience
Cons
Lengthy emp;oyment process
Stressful, Heartbreaking to see children and victims in these situation.
Domestic Violence Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2017
Working with Domestic Violence is very stressful, Children are being affected and parents don't realizes the life damage. More Laws needs to take place to protect all victims of Domestic Violence
Pros
Good paid
Cons
stressful
ok
Motor Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2017
Good pay, benefits were excellent co-workers were diligent in their efforts in helping others. Management was fair, days were challenging but worth your scale.
Pros
ok
Great Place to Learn
Assistant Corporation Counsel (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2017
Great experience. Great teachers.

Learn all that you can and leave. There aren't a lot of opportunities for advancement or raises. They don't offer flexible work options, and the pay is low. However, in most divisions in the law department, you will work a lot. This is not the place to come from big law to relax. People who think that leave quickly to work for another firm. They will work you hard.
Pros
Great experinece/ Great people
Cons
Work, Pay, Lifestyle
Lots of Diversity at the City of Chicago - You work with a lot of people who really are dedicated to their jobs with great work ethics.
Administrative Services Officer I (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2017
Lots of Diversity and you make life long friends. I can say that the most rewarding part of my job is working with the employees. The Employer really does not do much promoting within and there is not much training given to employees. The company is also too political.
Benefits
Cons
Too Political
Ok I guess
Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2017
I liked where I worked but the city government is too big to actually give an accurate assessment. The ability to accomplish goals frequently seemed hampered by politics, etc. which will wear you down quickly.
Education is Political
Youth and Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2017
It is a great place to develop and grow understanding the politics of education in Chicago. Opportunities for advancement are available. Collaboration between campus and district.
Enjoyed working with the members of the department
District Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2017
There was no typical day within the department. I learned numerous things one of the most important was that every job within the department is related and members must rely on each other to do their jobs. The culture within the department was like one big family. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
Great people working together to accomplish one goal
Great place to work!
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2017
If you do your job and don't get involved w/cliques you w/do great. There are new people coming on board and it is improving. Some supervisors are not in the AFSCME union which is unfair but overall very content.
Directs and contriols the flow of traffic to ensure the safety of pedestrians crossing at intersections
Trffic Control Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2017
I like assisting Elderly and Disabled pedestrians answering inquires and gives geographic directions to the public, prepare reports and issues traffic citations for violations to document incidents occurring during assigned shift
Pulling the garage carts to the truck and pushing the carts to truck, walking alot the blocks each day
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2017
The job Have good day and bad days to work at big company and some bossse should favor some employer to easy job. The management of City of Chicago need to get better to organize.
Pros
you have some good supervisor and good partner
Cons
short lunch and some location are not safe to work
Union Car (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2017
Working with the City of Chicago allowed be the opportunity to build great relationships with a diverse groups of people. I was able to use my carpentry skill while working on the different construction sites at the building of police stations, health clinics and at Chicago Public Libraries.
Pros
Skills
Cons
Health Insurance