City of Columbia Employee Reviews in United States

Safe community to live and raise a family
Chief of Police & Director of EMS (Former Employee) –  Columbia, ILApril 30, 2016
The City of Columbia is a bedroom community to St. Louis and is located approximately 11 miles south of downtown St. Louis. It has easy and quick access to the interstate. The Columbia School District is one of the best in the State of Illinois.
Productive and fun work environment.
Head Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MODecember 27, 2015
General pool management, along with intensive lifeguard training and direct supervision over assistant managers. Working side by side with the city's Aquatics Specialist and Aquatics Manager.
comfortable work place.
#3. Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 20, 2015
Working for this company was very chill, laid back work place. I got along with the people well, it was a nice work experience.
traffic engineer
Traffic Engineering Electrician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 15, 2015
Long work hours and on call work also. Can be tuff working in public government. The pay is good and the benefits, the on call base can be tuff with family and planned holidays.
Fun place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MONovember 5, 2015
Grate place to work but the pay is bad the staff need some motivations and some promotions. But it's a nice working place.
Good
Fun place
SR Admin Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MONovember 2, 2015
The City Of Columbia is a good place to work for. They have good benefits. Everyone is nice that works here and it willing to help you out.
What you put in it....
Senior Office Assistant/Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 19, 2015
Working at the City of Columbia for over 16 years really has not been a bad run. It is basically want you put in it that you get out of it.
Code Enforcement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MoSeptember 24, 2015
A great place to work, friendly place to work. The department where i work it was great atmosphere. As long as you know what you doing there should be no problem.
Nice Outside Job
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 30, 2015
I learned how to prepare for games doing things such as chalking baseball fields and painting soccer & football fields.
Pros
You can enjoy the weather while working !
Cons
30 min lunches
The friends and relationships you develop with the people
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 10, 2015
I started back in '07 the city was doing fairly well. Shortly after i completed recruit school, the city hit what i like to call a great depression. What it all boiled down to was someone/some people weren't keeping up with the books. So for about 8/9 yrs nobody received raises and the moral really took a turn for the worst. But we as employees know the public is not aware of the problems inside the organization. The way I feel toward the public has never changed I'm always glad to help the public out anyway I can whether it be giving a presentation or teaching them about fire safety. The hardest part of the job is losing a patient or seeing a child that you can't help. The most enjoyable part is coming work with some of the best group of guys that I've ever had the opportunity to work with. Whether we are laughing and joking or training and fighting a house fire, we can always lift each other up. I've learned that things won't get better until we make the choice to move forward and better ourselves, in doing so we better those around us.
General Office Setting that involes helping the citizens of Columbia.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 8, 2015
A typical work day at the City of Columbia involve greeting customers and answering 70-80 calls a day.
Verifying bank endorsements on deposit slips and follow up by email or phone if a correction is needed.
Issuing checks to various vendors for Parks and Recreation.
Preparing and monitoring of direct invoices.
Entering requistions into the IFAS system to receive a purchase order for payment.
My coworkes are amazing because we all ways can set our difference aside to get the job done.
The most important thing I learned is remember that the job is your number one priority.
Pros
A building with with windows.
Cons
Only allowed a 30 mintue break.
Well organized place to work. Great advancement opportunities
Administrative Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJune 3, 2015
Office hours, Monday through Friday open from 8 to 5. Hours were wonderful. Atmosphere was really good. Everyone got along well enough.
Pros
Great hours, advancment opportunities, good work
Cons
pay wanst as competitive as I would have liked
Great place to begin your career as a police officer
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, TNMay 26, 2015
A typical day as a police officer is rarely typical. Officers can count on every situation being different every day. Most days we being our shift with a meeting between all street officers and the assigned supervisors for the shift. We learn about the individuals and the specific areas that need officer attention. Once one the street, officers bond in a brotherhood to actively deter crime and serve the citizens of the City of Columbia. We do not break our bond nor shy away from conflict that involves our brother. The camaraderie is the most enjoyable part of my job. The most difficult part of my job is dealing with individuals that would rather kill me than face the consequences of their illegal activity.
Excellent Staff
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOApril 22, 2015
Great place to work - I did customer service and always felt supported by coworkers and supervisors. It can get a little high stress at times, but the job is rarely boring.
Pros
Easy workload, supportive atmosphere
Cons
Difficult to get full time
I am currently unemployed and seeking employment
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, South CarolinaApril 21, 2015
I was a supervisor and I monitored 100 plus employees during my tenure. I held daily training, discussed previous incidents, discussed new Human Resource documents, completed workman compensation forms, completed hurt on duty forms, had the autonomy to make decisions, completed payrolls sheets, investigated complaints, provide on-the-job training and coaching when necessary, made sure deadlines were met, and assisted the employees in job duties when necessary.
I learned that management jobs require patience, understanding, availability, and knowledge.
My co-workers and I reiterated the mission statement to the subordinates while keep them safe and enjoyable.
There were no hardest part of the job.
I enjoyed seeing subordinates I trained or worked under my command get promote to higher positions.
Utility work
Apprentice Substation Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOApril 20, 2015
Assists in maintaining and repairing of mechanical equipment in a substation, repair to structures in substation setting and maintaining substations grounds. Changes and updates drawings to reflect as-built changes to schematics and wiring diagrams. Assists in installing, maintaining and repairing supervisory control and data acquisition equipment. Assists with the installation and testing of primary, secondary metering and protective relaying. Works on energized secondary voltage lines up to 480 volts and works around and operates manual disconnect switches on all voltages up to 161,000 volts. Takes oil samples of substation equipment, runs tests for contaminates and filtering oil if necessary. Maintains records on all maintenance and services provided. Climbs ladders and works on top of and inside power transformers in confined spaces. Performs related duties as needed or assigned.
Cons
Paid 10-20% less than people in the same field.
looking for something new
Tech. Asst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 26, 2015
ive done everything from cutting grass to taking a pump apart and putting it back together. the company don't want to move me up so im trying to find something new
Very rewarding job, providing an important service to the citizens.
City of Columbia/Richland County E-911 Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 25, 2015
This is a career job. Its fulfilling to know your assisting in saving lives and keeping your city and its citizens safe.
Pros
great hours
Cons
needs to pay more due to the level of responsibility.
enjoyable work place
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Columbia, TNNovember 25, 2014
A typical day at work is non stop moving for me. I am always learning new things, even though they may not pertain to my job. The management is amazing! I couldnt ask for better bosses and co-workers. I really enjoy everything about my job and the people I work with.
Pros
amazing management and co workers
Cons
no insurance, need more hours, and better pay
Interned There and Loved the guys I worked with
Intern Tech Level II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 21, 2014
I was able to intern at the City and enjoyed my time there, I was exposed to a lot of projects and was in the field daily. It was a great experience.